(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,016 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheFamilyArcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 9 years ago

I have my outlines at Factory, achievements at hard and top post disabled. Im on 1.6. I think a 200 million score is out of reach. ..but if I can complete Jericho with 2x maybe. But ice yet to complete Jericho. Pretty hard to do with outlanes opened to 3rd hole (from bottom).

IM is now my favorite game in my colection.

I also prefer brass to red powdercoat.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Very nice.
The reality is that there is no other game like IM so if you sell it looking for a similar game, it ain't gonna happen!

Is Tron close? It strikes me that a lot of Tron lovers talk about it the way IM lovers talk about IM. Fast gameplay, good theme integration. "One more play" factor.

#123 9 years ago

You have encapsulated my aversion to installing this mod!

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

Hmmm....I've been wondering about this. What happens if you do play them at the same time?

Sounds fine. I've done it.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Only if the shield insert is lit at War Machine, and only if add-a-ball is the next award based on what else is running.

I'd bet money that War Machine becomes a 3 or 4 ball MB when you hit the kicker (once or twice) within the 10 seconds or so that the War Machine insert stays lit at the start of the 2 ball MB. This is regardless of whether the shield is lit. But I'm on the latest code.

#149 9 years ago

Mine has the Cointaker backbox kit. It's modest and tasteful the way it changes the colors of the sky and clouds. Quite beautiful and not in your face (at least in a slow fade setting). The top strip of lights was out on mine when I bought the game and it still looks cool.

#155 9 years ago

I don't know what is the hierarchy of award importance. I just know from my experience add a ball is not always first.

I can confirm this. Kinda sucks when you nail it just as you need a ball to keep MB going and it gives you 200k or bonus x instead! Or the random lite EB or Special.

I don't have Special set to EB because I feel that IM is really works best as a 3 ball max game...but occasionally when I get a couple inserts flashing I wonder if more balls would give me a shot at e ultimate unicorn: Do or Die Multiball.

Has anyone done this with glass off?

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I wonder when that strip went bad? Was working when I sold it but you are the third person to own it since I had it.

Don't know. When I bought it from NJ Gecko it wasn't working and he mentioned it wasn't working when he got it. Maybe something came loose on the cross country trek from Cali! This really is a nice game. If I'm the fourth owner it seems like no one else ever played it!

#161 9 years ago

DoDMB on factory settings is virtually impossible on a 3 ball setting. I explained why this is the case in detail in another thread.
To my knowledge nobody has achieved it legitimately on factory settings.

I read that...so it does exist tho?

#168 9 years ago

IM....the one to rule them all?

#175 9 years ago

Wow. So it's true. Time to go downstairs!

#186 9 years ago

I'm in the minority on this (as usual) but I prefer brass on IM. Powdercoat looks nice...and will be distinctive in a one pin line up....but so many machines are powdered these days and powder on IM just sinks into the background. The brass is badass baby.

1 week later
#209 9 years ago

Your enthusiasm does this hobby proud. Totally unnecessary to put that on the back....so I say go for it!

1 week later
#229 9 years ago
Quoted from ant68:

Just installed my Whiplash Mod from Pinball Decals , how bright are these whips supposed to be ?
Not sure whats going on with this one but I can hardly see any flash of light at ?
Could someone post a short clip please .

Is this the same as Hooked's? If not, anyone seen both and have an opinion which is better.

1 week later
#273 9 years ago

Waaaahhhhhh!!! But there's nothing to do on IM! It's so shallow! I can't even really tell the difference between a populated and unpopulated playfield! That playfield should only cost you a couple hundred less than the whole game! IM is so overpriced! Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Ahhh, got that out if my system! Time to go play some IM!

#275 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Hahaha!! I need to win at some scratch offs so I can buy your Avenger LE bud

Word amigo. I've enjoyed AVLE as much as IM. Different rules and styles of play, but there is pretty intense "one more game" action on Avengers once you know what you're doing and can hit those shots. Activating IMs scoring mode on Avengers - his custom music is bad ass! - is pretty sweet.

Something to remember, people hated IM in 2010. Thought it was a joke. Thought it should cost $2,000.

#277 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Just proves the point that people are stupid

Well, stupid is pretty harsh (I'm not disagreeing!)...but it definitely proves that people often jump to conclusions or rush to judgement or follow the crowd - and are wrong! - but through experience and open mindedness can find the proper path. I think of some (not all) Avengers haters as "flat earthers"!

#297 9 years ago

Where do you get the brass coin door/shooter rod accents?

#325 9 years ago

One path to the big scores is from earning Do or Die after starting the double scoring from the Iron Man targets. So getting to Do or Die efficiently is a key. Try to set up all 5 characters to being close to starting. That way starting back at square one for the character is not required. It is a headache once drones insert is lit and the ball drains. The War Machine MB is still ready, but War Machine has to be played and then drones qualified again to relight the Drones insert.
So instead of War Machine with Monger, I prefer to use War Machine to advance and start Whiplash since the Whiplash magnet is dangerous and Whiplash cannot stack with Monger. Also, once Whiplash starts, War Machine cannot be stacked with it.
However, if raising Monger is delayed, the player needs to survive 6 shots to it as well. Aim to the sides.
Also Jericho has decent points, so starting it after the Do or Die double playfield scoring can be lucrative.
There is not a right or wrong way to play, just different approaches, with many risk reward paths. Safe is Bogey ramps all day, assuming the player is accurate.

The double scoring clock runs down while waiting through the Jericho intro. New code must fix this!

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I played one this morning, that kick back from war machine is the fastest shot I've ever seen. Game plays really well. Only had a few games on it, but seriously thinking of buying the new release. Reminds me a little of xmen, I even felt like there should be a third flipper, but obviously nothing to hit with it. I also like that the real movies voices are in the game. Not thrilled about decals.

It's a fantastic side kick to TAV!

#327 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Where do you get the brass coin door/shooter rod accents?

Anyone?

#341 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I bought rails to replace my pegs. Gotta get them powder coated first.

You need to change the # of pins you own to 2....even if they are the same game!

2 weeks later
#364 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Hmmm now I need a Translite glare buster....

Good luck with that!

#379 9 years ago

Rob clearly can play this game, but inlanes closed just isn't the way. 100M score with factory outlanes and new code should really be the bar on this game.

#383 9 years ago

I feel ya. I moved mine in on ACDC, but I think IM is just a little too easy with them in. I also had them in with LOTR. No way I make Valinor with them open!

#385 9 years ago

ACDC is borderline fair with them all the way closed. If anything, still too hard, I agree!

#420 9 years ago

In a couple weeks, you'll have 2 IMs. I'd like to think you'll become the resident expert!

#429 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What's taking Stern so long? I paid for my game weeks ago

There have been a few delays retrograding the code.

#465 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just curious how people feel about where IM is ranked on the top100. I mean it's nice to be top30 but do people think that's too low or about correct?
Even if we take out all BW games to clear away the BW fans it's just bottom top10 modern Stern
LOTR
SM
AcDc
Tron pro/LE
Met
TSPP
ST
Met pro
ST pro
IM
XMLE

The real take away is how good Stern games really are. Of the Sterns I've played the most: LOTR,SM, ACDC, yes, I think IM is in their class. I've played and enjoyed the other games you list, and personally think IM is better.

RobT called it right on this: IM is for Adrenalin junkies!!!

2 months later
#609 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here's the way I look at it...Jericho is a lot of fun to play. My family and friends rarely get to see it because they aren't A players. I'd like to have more opportunities to finish Jericho. Us "extra ball guys" wouldn't compare our scores to RobT and the other A players, only to each other.
I did set all the Iron Monger settings to difficult - all letters must be spotted, and a shot up the middle is needed to start the mode. Gameplay feels more balanced that way.

"A" players don't play on old rules with closed outlanes.

#620 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You are correct about the closed outlanes.
But you are dead wrong about the old rules.

I thought you were married to that 50M do or die shot?

#621 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Speaking of "A" players, what are you replacing JM with, Shadow with 2" flippers maybe to give the pin a chance? Kidding, seriously what would you get?

Guns and Roses. A nice floaty wide body to compliment IM!

4 weeks later
#669 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Back in the club! Thanks 2 dough slingers!

DSC09109.JPG 225 KB

And you got the good one too. Not a refake.

1 week later
#711 9 years ago
Quoted from JohnDelNJ:

Hit Do or Die for the first time tonight! Cashed in for 33 million.
I've been to Jericho several times but never completed it.
Love my IM!

Way to go John! I still haven't beaten Jericho either. It's tough!

1 month later
#782 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Iron Man is my favorite game with headphones,,,such a rush with the gun shots in your ears..

Better than ACDC? I have one of your kits, need to decide.

3 weeks later
#901 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I looked at the clock this morning and realized I had 9 minutes before I had to leave for work. So I fired up IM for 2 or 3 games. I was on fire! First game, i hit do or die leading right into the worst Jericho ever.

What a total rush... And I STILL left for work early! Such a short game, yet so much satisfaction. Yeah, hitting the do or die shot was pure luck on my part, and I really need to stop flailing in Jericho. But just wow. Love this game.

Nailed it. When people call this game shallow, as a criticism, I just feel they don't get it at all.

#910 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

My score could have been a decent bit higher, but I completely failed at DoD. Drained the ball then started Jericho on the next.
My best score was when I nailed DoD for the full 50 million (version 1.4), then went straight to Jericho, and completed that during 2x and scored a nice 100 million points.

Open the outlanes man and update the code!

1 month later
#1005 9 years ago

I've had mirror blades, speaker lights, the head phone kit and under cab flashers kit ready to put on mine for over a year...but I when I go down to do the work I end up pushing "play" and I end up playing my work time. "Just one more"!

#1015 9 years ago

I'm playing the latest code before the VE code. Any solid reason to update? Did I read that the light show options might be an improvement but that animations (dots) have actually been downgraded?

#1016 9 years ago

Btw, I play with monger at hard (hard settings all around), orbit disabled, lanes at factory. Special set to EB and one score based extra ball that starts in the 20Ms somewhere.

I totally understand purists that don't want extra balls, but I'm pleased with my set up and think its fair for IM. We need a reward in this game for the battle! My top score is around 145M, which features the only time I ever beat Jericho.

Not trying to start anything here, but I think outlanes closed to Max is much more player friendly than one score based EB. I'll bet the ball times with the outlanes closed are more than 2x with them open. Anyone with closed lanes want to post their ball times? I'll post mine later today.

#1020 9 years ago

I just find the game really easy and, gulp, a little boring with the outlanes closed. The person I bought the game from had it set up like you say. Without even paying that much attention I scored 90M on my first game, standing there talking to the guy selling it. I basically talked myself out of buying the game. Because it's less exhilarating with the longer ball times. I'm glad I changed my mind and bought it!

Two possible EBs (with special being very random and unlikely) is still a lot harder than closed outlanes. Closed outlanes....you might as well set the game on 10 ball!

Unfortunately you can't check ball times in the edits. Although I have played over 1,775 games I think I've cashed in 91 EBs. About 5%.

1 month later
#1092 8 years ago

Just cleaned and waxed mine up. So fast and brutal.

I also did a factory reset so I could play the game as designed. I'd set iron monger to hard and had disabled the top post. It is a dramatically different game on factory settings then how I'd been playing it. Definitely harder with the monger coming up so much. These two changes (actually just going back to factory after years of otherwise) make it like a new game!

So, I agree with RobT on this...the game being harder on factory...but I've also always had my outlanes factory, which also keeps the game borderline unfair. but totally fun

1 week later
#1128 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Finally figured out Pinball browser.
Added ACDC Shoot to Thrill for War Machine multiball.
Makes it so much better and at reminds me more of the movie.
Loving my IMVE even more now.

Can you tutor Grinder and me? I don't even know where to begin.

4 months later
#1383 8 years ago

Anyone wanna buy a killer, brassed out, modded original in NY/NJ? I'm considering leaving the club. This game was once owned by pinball "immortal" Rob T. and it was purchased from NJ Gecko a couple years ago for stupid $.

#1387 8 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

You were one of the founders of the "IM is simple, but incredibly awesome" club. I respect that and am thankful that there were so many of you who were ahead of the times on this. I could see the desire of hitting play "one more time!", so many times over the years could slow down. I am not there yet, but I could see people movng on someday for sure. You can always come back though.

Appreciate that! One of my proudest moments was tag teaming with Gerry to make sure Grinder didn't buy that POS Classic! One of my lamest was insisting that IM could be had in the fours (to this day I feel my logic and data sets were sound!) and then ultimately buying in the high 5's. And never regretting it!

I thinned the herd (already small at 5 pins) down to 3 and I'm just thinking I need something new...and IM is the best and most valuable, so if I can find the right buyer or trade I think I'll let it go. For now.

#1390 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

You guys were awesome then and I'm very grateful!!

Then?

#1392 8 years ago

Think how awesome I'd be if you actually took that two-fear deal I offered ya! Someone just sold my old acdc for $7k! This hobby is freaking nuts!

2 months later
#1713 8 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

The check's in the mail ... NIB IM-VE incoming!

Congrats! Although I wish you'd made an offer on mine instead!

#1765 8 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

It's here!!!

image_(resized).jpeg

Congrats Brian! Welcome (back) to the club!

1 year later
#2815 6 years ago

Just posted 189M tonight. Factory. My all time best on factory settings.

1 week later
#2848 6 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I'm putting the chroma gold and red nuts on the playfield. It's the small things, the details, that I enjoy tweaking sometimes.

That's pretty bad ass Grinder!

#2849 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

If that's the case then you should never buy one. IM's sored all the way up to 7k before the VE announcement...they still sell for right around 5k with mods. If the code is GREAT and the game is super fun then that's all you can really ask for and shouldn't feel fleeced.
WOZ is LOADED...but I personally do not care for it.

I tried for awhile here to sell mine at $5k, and got no interest. So glad it didn't. I'm back to playing it and loving it, and mines a beautiful example too. Selling it would have been a regrettable mistake.

3 weeks later
#2928 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The stacking is aggravating because if some things are running, others can't. Started Monger? No War Machine for you.

Actually you mean Whiplash. No Monger/Whiplash stack in the game.

Monger can be stacked with War Machine. And War Machine with Whiplash.

Tonight I may have had my best series of games ever. Played about 10 games and got a 75M a 79M and a 106M. 2 of these made my high score list (my highest are 189M and 144M). Hit Do or Die shot 3 times tonight. Once for 34,800,000. Couldn't finish Jericho though.

The 106M game tonight was vintage. 105M on first ball. 1M on the next two. Fucking Ironman!

My game is all Factory settings nowadays (and outlanes) Which is definitely harder than setting Monger to "Hard" in the settings. RobT pointed that out to me, and I didn't get it at first, but it's true.

Im pretty sure the dude that got DOD MB had Monger set to hard, and the upper post disabled. He's obviously a rad player (way better than me) and his achievement stands on its own merit - freaking awesome and almost unbelievable - but I'd like to know if he did it on factory settings or not (and where his outlanes were positioned).

IM is truly a special game. An all time classic.

#2933 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I did mean war machine. Once mongers multiball is started, you can't start war machine. And the opposite, you can't raise monger if war machine starts. I tend to try and qualify both (WM lit), raise monger, hit WM, and then smash on monger until it starts. I think that is a bit safer than hitting the monger with only one ball in play.
But no matter, I find the stacking to be a blast. Little subtleties that make the game easier of harder depending on what you're doing.

Ah, ok. I see what you mean now. I try and do same when it looks like Monger can't be avoided.

Do not like the fact that when you're in Monger MB, that's practically all you can do. I guess if Bogey or one of the IM target modes is already running you can do that and run up your shields, but you can't advance anything else of consequence. It's basically just Monger, and that can get boring. Monger MB can be exciting of course, with the magnet and Super shot, but I'm usually glad when it's over. Whiplash and WM, on the other hand, I never get enough of.

#2935 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I have Monger set to hard, makes him far more balanced with the other MBs and opens the game up a little reducing the Monger road block so to speak.

I had mine set that way for years, and I like the game that way...but the game is easier that way, for the very reason that the Monger isn't always popping up - and screwing with you ! - like it does on factory settings. I put it back to factory awhile back to see if I could kick the games ass that way. I think I did - 189M - and I'm keeping the settings factory for now...to see if I can break 200M and also get the unicorn DOD MB the more difficult way.

I'll give it some more time, but then I'll set Monger back to hard, close the outlanes a little, and see if I can abuse the game a bit.

1 year later
#3357 5 years ago
Quoted from Portkey:

It looks like pinside won't allow me to post a PDF. If anyone has a place that I can send this pdf file to so that it is available to folks on pinside, let me know.

Thanks for posting that pdf. Luckily, I’ve never needed my manual (still in goodie bag, lol) but a pdf copy is nice to have.

#3358 5 years ago

IM sound modders!

Question: have any of you had volume issues with custom sound packages? And with pinball browser modified code, does it ever mess with any Service Menu functions?

I finally got around to installing a pinball browser sound package, made by a fellow Pinsider. Install went fine, but the two things I want to hear the loudest- Shoot to Thrill during Whiplash MB and Black Sabbath at end game - are lower than all other sounds. I’ve messed with every sound setting I can find and cannot get those two customizations any louder. Author says I’m the only one that has had this issue.

I also think the custom code makes some of the Shaker motor setting not work, and makes some of the coil diagnostics not work, but I could be wrong about that.

Any advice or experience here? Thanks!

2 months later
#3389 5 years ago
Quoted from gripwhip:

Has IMVE become less popular or are sales just slow in general? Trying to sell mine and not much traffic. I think it is a still a great game, but unfortunately I need the space and cash.

Sales are slow for over priced games. What is yours priced at? I wanted $5k for my modded IM for the longest time, but that ship has sailed man. My kids want me to keep it now, so it’s not on the market currently, but I think I’d need to price it at $4,500 just to get a sniff, and that might not get it sold these days.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 24.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheFamilyArcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club?tu=TheFamilyArcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.