(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,016 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobT.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Didn't see a thread discussing the rules and gameplay of this in your face, kick ass pin, so here it is.

I just got a super nice HUO IM in my lineup (thanks for the trade Wheels!). I owned IM before, and have missed it ever since. Very glad to have it back in the lineup!

IM is, to this day, the pin that made the best first impression of any pin I've ever played. I was immediately hooked on this pin from the very first play. The way it fights you back and makes you earn everything, combined with the great sound effects and music makes it very appealing.

Can't stop pushing the start button!

Eskaybee came by to play a few games, and I was lucky enough to put together the best game I've ever had on IM (beating my prior GC score by 100 million points). Completed Jericho and hit the Do or Die shot for a full 50 million points (I'm on 1.4 code).

Holy sh*t! What a game! Heart pumping, adrenaline flowing, hands shaking, and sweating like a pig...God I love it!

The game before this, I think I scored 6 million.

The score on the top left is Eskaybee's.

IM pinball GC Score 2014.JPGIM pinball GC Score 2014.JPG

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I Just picked up IM last night and I'm loving it!
Rob that score is ridiculous not sure how the heck you pulled that off?
Any one have any tips for protecting the playfield around the magnets... Mylar or?

image-365.jpg 56 KB

I couldn't believe it myself. Like I said, when I owned IM before, my high score was 151 million. I never completed Jericho before today. That helped my score in a big way (I think it was around 87 million points for Jericho?), then immediately lit DoD, hit the middle shot and collected the full 50 million.

Mine had the mylar around the magnets. Highly recommended.

Congrats on the pin Concrete!

Quoted from gprotein:

Change the thread title to "IRON MAN club, adrenaline junkies welcome!" then they will come.

Love it.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Awesome score! Great job!
Beating Jericho is no easy task. And yeah I run the older code too. 50 mil DoD is the way to go.

Yeah, the 50 million DoD is why I haven't upgraded to the newer code.

But...I'm wondering what other differences there are? Because there is what appears to be a code issue on 1.4 where you can have DoD lit, and if you have Monger ready to go and hit the middle shot to start DoD, Monger will come up and block the DoD shot! Talk about a buzz kill! This has happened to me twice already.

Is there a way around this on 1.4 code?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno man, I've seen Eskaybee play, I think you're asking for it taunting him, he's gonna get psyched up for the next time he comes by!

Heh. I've seen him play too, and he beats me fairly regularly.

This is exactly the reason that I'm taking advantage of this opportunity for some taunting! It just doesn't happen all that often.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Wow, nice game! Are you sure the outlanes are not closed up!?

Make no mistake, this was a *great* game for me. I beat my prior GC score (when I previously owned IM) by 100 million points.

The best thing about this score was the fact that I had a fellow Pinsider witness it, so he can confirm that the glass was on and that the outlanes were not blocked.

Pin is on all factory settings, but the outlane posts are in the #1 (most closed) positions.

Quoted from Khabbi:

Aweseome game and awesome thread! IM will never leave my collection!
As far as differences go between 1.4 and 1.6, one thing I can tell you they changed, and it's a big one- in 1.4, you can start do or die, then if you are close to raising Monger and end up shooting the last letter, it could raise Monger and completely block the shot for DOD. I had this happen once, and that was enough for me to update to 1.6. Nothing worse than earning DOD and having a glitch block you from the jackpot.

Thanks Khabbi. If you read my post earlier in the thread, you will see that this has already happened to me twice. DoD is ready to go, you hit the middle shot to start it, then Monger rises from the PF to block the shot!

So this is fixed in 1.6? It will be a hard decision. 50 million for DoD with the chance of Monger blocking the shot, or 35 million for DoD with no chance of Monger blocking the shot.

#51 10 years ago

Oh, that is too bad. I actually like setting that up.
One more reason for me not to switch to 1.6

I'm still struggling with the issue of whether to upgrade to 1.6 or not.

Interestingly enough, it is the fact that Iron Monger will come up when DoD or Jericho is lit that makes me think I should upgrade to 1.6. Not because of Jericho, but because he can come up after starting DoD, thus making it impossible to hit the DoD shot. Hate that.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Is factory for the outlanes the 3rd or 4th hole?

Second from the bottom I believe. Definitely not all the way open (4th hole).

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Nope, it's the 3rd hole from the bottom for both sides. Put them there...and when you do get a great game it is even sweeter!!

But impossible!

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Yeah it's 3rd hole.

That's what she said.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Doesn't that mean that the ratings system is flawed then? I always just adjust things accordingly to get my list in the right order to avoid that possible issue.

It means that the ratings system might place a higher weighting on some factors than what you might place on them. They tried to remedy this by allowing the user to change the weightings.

In other words, some people will place a huge emphasis on theme. So even though a game like FT might play better than another pin, the theme might kill it for them.

Tron LE is my favorite because it excels in so many of the aspects that makes a pin great to me, including theme, theme integration, sound effects, music, appearance, flow, speed, and a decent amount of randomness caused by the disc whipping the ball around.

IM also excels in these areas as well. And I think the comments that Tron and IM are compared to each other a lot is valid.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I'm not sure if that makes a lot of sense though. TRON LE is your #1 game but it's rated #3 on your list? What good is a rating list if it doesn't actually reflect your actual opinion? Like if I gave you a list of my top 10 restaurants, you would be like ok, #1 is his favorite, lets go there. Then you talked to me later, and I told you "#1 isn't my favorite, my favorite is actually #7" you'd be like WTF? Then why is it #7 on your list? See my point here? If your actual top games aren't lining up in order on your rankings, then the ranking system is screwed up (in my opinion).

Of course I understand what you are saying. Nobody is saying the system is perfect. It's not.

I was just explaining why someone's favorite game won't necessarily be their highest rated pin using the Pinside ratings. It makes sense to me.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Just makes things really confusing, lol, that the lists don't reflect reality. I guess not everyone bends theirs to actually reflect their true list 1 to xxx.

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with it at all and think it actually makes sense.

For example, while Tron LE is my favorite pin, a lot of that is based on the sounds and music/theme. I think AC/DC is the better pin in terms of game play. So which of those two pins should be ranked higher on a rating system?

I think you want to make the ratings overly simplistic. In other words, you just want a single rating to apply to a pin, like an 8.5, and just do away with all the sub categories like sound, art, etc. I much prefer having multiple categories, because this results in a more objective rating of the pin overall.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Btw, did you just set your ratings to private, lol? I can't even see them anymore.

Nope. I haven't touched my ratings in a long time.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I don't know or remember when I did the ratings on the machines here (my profile says I rated the machines in 2003, which, uh, sure!). At least with me, I can and often do separate my "numerical" ratings from my verbal ones. I can appreciate things with machines that I don't actually personally like. A good example is that LOTR is one of my highest rated games on IPDB (where I have been rating games for years). It's got amazing art, an amazing sound package, a great playfield, and a great ruleset - I just would never own one because I don't like overly deep rulesets like that. It isn't fair for me to rank LOTR below games that I would own (heh, Baywatch, for instance) because I know that it's a better game, just not for me.
If I was rating all of the games with the categories, IM would probably by top five, but one of my top three games, Viper Night Drivin', has perhaps the worst art package ever (challenged by Baywatch, somewhat), so it probably wouldn't show up in my top 10.

Exactly. This is a great example of understanding how the Pinside ratings work and what can and will happen if you rate the pins objectively in all categories

#145 9 years ago

Only if the shield insert is lit at War Machine, and only if add-a-ball is the next award based on what else is running.

How do you determine what the next award will be?

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Mine has the Cointaker backbox kit. It's modest and tasteful the way it changes the colors of the sky and clouds. Quite beautiful and not in your face (at least in a slow fade setting). The top strip of lights was out on mine when I bought the game and it still looks cool.

I wonder when that strip went bad? Was working when I sold it but you are the third person to own it since I had it.

#157 9 years ago

Don't know. When I bought it from NJ Gecko it wasn't working and he mentioned it wasn't working when he got it. Maybe something came loose on the cross country trek from Cali! This really is a nice game. If I'm the fourth owner it seems like no one else ever played it!

Yep, it's a nice one. Two people owned it before me, so you are the sixth owner. Original owner (and second owner) was in AZ.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Is candy red the go to color for Iron Man? If I'm not mistaken (I actually have the first Iron Man movie on right now) I think Tony told Jarvis to throw on some hot rod red. Is that color an option when powder coating? I'm ignorant when it comes to powder coating.
Also if I get these rails and then Zdoors apron mod in candy red and then other areas later, will it be noticeable that these pieces were done separately?
I can't stop buying mods for this baby. I love playing it. So addictive!!!

You should have all the powder coating done at the same place and at the same time to ensure a perfect match.

Zdoor (Pinball Refinery) can do all of the powder coating for you at once if you'd like.

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Has anyone tried these on their pops? I think they'd work well since the pops only illuminate when they're "active" (scoring-wise)
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3336

Yes, I tried them on my IM.

They don't work. Or more accurately, 2 of 3 of them do work. The cap will *not* fit under the right ramp, as it will not allow the ramp to go back down onto the PF.

1 week later
#213 9 years ago

Anyone ever put red ac/dc premium side rails and lockdown bar on Iron Man? Does Stern sell the red powder coated rails and LD bar?

That particular red wouldn't look very good on IM in my opinion.

#215 9 years ago

I did post my best score ever last night 42million (wimpy compared to Rob T's 200 million but still hard fought)

I think you meant to say 251 million.

Keep at it.

Since I put up that score, my next best score has been about half of that one. Makes me wonder if I will ever be able to beat it.

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

So I want to change my DMD to red. How hard is it to do? I need some kind of red filter right? What do those run?

$16.00 at Pinbits. Great bang for the buck.

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Yes, but I think that a subdued look is a lot better than the blinding look that a lot of the LED kits give out. When I got mine, it had a standard kit in it and I thought it looked like a bug zapper. After a lot of replacing for lower power LEDs, I think it looks great now.

I agree completely.

I have NoFlix Plus LEDs in my IM for this very reason. Very little strobing, and not at all blinding under the inserts. I do have my GI cranked up pretty bright though.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably just use cheaper LEDs and use the OCD board.

To answer Concrete's question: I think IM looks a ton better with LEDs.

#234 9 years ago

Well, my IM is out of commission for awhile, since I am taking parts in for powder coating, including the coin door.

It's going to suck not being able to play for awhile, but I know it will be worth it..

#260 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I thought about doing felt/protector/leg for more protection. I just liked the two toned ability that the protectors provide with colored legs/trim.

In my opinion they actually detract from the artwork on the cabinet. I've got to the point where I really dislike them.

I recommend using the metal stern brackets. The legs will not touch the cabinet, and you dont see anything around the legs at all.

There is nothing better.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2711

#261 9 years ago

lol

Dan beat me by a couple minutes.

#269 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Just got this and I plan to frame it and maybe break the glass in twenty or so years

image-469.jpg 181 KB

image-834.jpg 252 KB

Congrats.

I do believe that you got the last one available too!

#280 9 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

If legs are powder coated and you have the Stern metal leg brackets, do you put felt between the leg and bracket to protect the powder?

No.

#285 9 years ago

To Lollipop, or not to lollipop, that is the question!

Just got my powder coating back. Not sure which I prefer: the lollipops that cover the flipper buttons but also cover artwork on the cabinet, or the stock side rails?

Opinions? (crappy cellphone pics)

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG

photo 4.JPGphoto 4.JPG
photo 3.JPGphoto 3.JPG
photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG

#286 9 years ago

I think one consideration is that the lollipops tie in better with the powder coated hinges?

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG

photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG
#287 9 years ago

And for good measure

IMG_7071-2.jpegIMG_7071-2.jpeg

#292 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Not a fan of colored coin doors, but that looks great. The lollipops look better as well. I want to see your other mods Rob as new to being an IM owner (pics anywhere?).

I literally put the powder coated parts on today. More parts to be done, including powder coated apron.

Higher quality pics will be posted when I'm done. And congrats on joining the IM club!

#314 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

If you haven't already decided, I think IM looks better with the lollies, although originally it didn't come with it. I'm actually having the same debate, I want to do my powder at some point, but that will probably be after I move, whenever that is. I want the space to actually work on the machines!

Thanks Dan. I decided to go with the lollipops, and they look great!

I'm super happy with how the powder coating came out. Fits the pin perfectly.

I expect this thread to really start taking off once people start receiving their new IM pros from Stern. Will be interesting to see what kind of software updates we get because of the rerelease. There are definitely a few areas that could use tweaking, including the fact that Iron Monger rises too often.

#344 9 years ago

I have a local powder coat company that I was thinking about taking my Hardware to, but am unsure what shade of red to select?

Go to the shop and ask to see their samples. Hopefully they will have a red that you are looking for.

#347 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I didnt want to start a new thread so will ask here. i was reading the Im rules and it said that when you first plunge the ball, the post up top is activated by a switch and the ball hits this and roles into the top lanes. The post on my game never goes up..is this normal? (the rules i read were from pinball news and were for an earlier version of the code).

Sounds like it was disabled in the settings. A lot of IM owners do this. Go into setting and change it back if you'd prefer.

#349 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Thanks Rob....any idea which setting that may be?

Not off hand. It should be pretty obvious when you scroll through the selections though. "Disable post diverter" or something similar.

#352 9 years ago

I am convinced there will be massive upgrades in the Iron Man code.
Why?
As pinball karma would have it, I just beat my previous 245MIL GC with a 259MIL GC and beat Jericho again for the 4th time in 4 years.
Factory settings, 3 balls, open outlanes, no mystery extra balls or scoring tiers.
So now I'll have to climb that mountain again.
It's a great problem to have

2 weeks later
#368 9 years ago

Was playing my IM yesterday, and it was kicking my butt hard for probably 8 games or so. I decided I would play one more game before firing up the home theater to watch a movie, and BAM, this happened.

I didn't think I'd ever beat my prior GC score of 251 million seen in the first post of this thread. I completed Jericho, and must have had double scoring going because 100 million flashed on the DMD when I completed it. What a rush!

IMG_2931.jpegIMG_2931.jpeg

#369 9 years ago

This was my score after the first ball:

IMG_9341.jpegIMG_9341.jpeg
#374 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Epic score RobT!
The key to getting 200+ mil scores is to cash in on the DOD hurry up. That gives you the countdown score, but it also, importantly, gives you 2x scoring for the remainder of that ball. Then, if you complete Jericho in that ball, you get the 100+ Jericho SJP.

Ah, but of course! That's exactly what happened. Hit DOD for 48 million (I'm on version 1.4), then went straight to Jericho after that, completed it, and therefore got 100 million (instead of 50 million).

Pin is bad ass.

#377 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Put those outlanes back to stock settings!

No!

The pin still kicks my ass 90% of the time, just like it was the 8-9 games I played before getting this big score. If I were scoring the big points regularly, I would open the outlanes up, but that's just not the case for me. I need to feel like I at least have a shot once in awhile to have a great game! IM is too brutal with the outlanes in the stock position for me.

#382 9 years ago

Rob clearly can play this game, but inlanes closed just isn't the way. 100M score with factory outlanes and new code should really be the bar on this game.

My score is obviously only relevant in terms of comparison to others who also have their outlanes moved in.

I have played IM with the outlanes at factory and it is simply too brutal. Challenging pins are fine, but IM at factory outlanes is over the top brutal to me and results in too much frustration, not enough fun.

I will probably move the posts up one notch (which means that they will be one notch away from factory), but it is very unlikely that I will ever put them back to factory.

#384 9 years ago

I feel ya. I moved mine in on ACDC, but I think IM is just a little too easy with them in. I also had them in with LOTR. No way I make Valinor with them open!

Yep, AC/DC is a perfect comparison. Way too brutal at factory, and arguably still too brutal when closed!

And yes, I doubt I would have ever made it to Valinor with the lanes open.

#387 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Ya got me thinking in that I have played 1000 games at factory and got DoD jackpot twice!

See, that's going overboard to me. DoD jackpot once every 500 games isn't fun, and would be super frustrating.

Move those posts in at least one notch.

#392 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Grinder, translite glare buster = a couple of strips of black electrical tape along the front of the light bulb (where it faces the translite). I do this with all my games.

Aaaaand some PDI glass if money is no object.

I just don't understand why everyone (and I mean everyone) doesn't just use the Glare Guards from Wrong Crowd productions. I have them on all of my pins, and always will.

#395 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Never heard of them, thanks, I'll look them up now.

Strange, I don't know if Kim doesn't sell them anymore? Went to his site but it's music?

Mr68 is his username here on Pinside.

#396 9 years ago

Here is an alternative (which is a copy of Kim's product):

http://bentplastic.com/index.html

#405 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I sold my previous IM because I was too lazy to dial it in better. That was a huge mistake. IMVE is now paid for (well, mostly paid anyway)!

Congrats!

#432 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

RobT, would you add something like "SHIPPING" to the title when they start? I check this thread 5 times a day hoping to get that report...

Well this is an IM owners club that was started before the rerun. I think there are other threads discussing the Iron Man Vault Edition that may be more appropriate for that type of report.

That's not to say that we won't discuss when they ship here of course. We will. Especially since it means we will have more members!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-ve-owners-post-here/page/4#post-1762680

#446 9 years ago
Quoted from cwell:

Cant wait to join this club and beat RobT's score.

I would love it if you did! Having another challenge is always a good thing.

#451 9 years ago
Quoted from cwell:

I need Iron Man in my house soon... I can't seem to think about anything else right now which isn't good for my job.
I'm thinking about selling my T2. What would you guys pair with IM between ACDC Prem, MET Pro and LOTR? I love all three themes.

If you went with ACDC you would have two pretty brutal pins in your lineup. MET is a bit more forgiving, and LOTR has much longer game/ball times than the rest.

I love all the pins mentioned though, and currently own IM, ACDC and MET.

#454 9 years ago
Quoted from cwell:

I'm leaning towards MET Pro because of the price. Going to call JJ tomorrow and see if I can work out a good deal. Need him to take some inventory from me to make it happen.
So if you had to trim your lineup down to 2 machines and you were going to keep IM what would the 2nd pin be?

AFM.

But it's a pretty special AFM.

1 week later
#471 9 years ago

Looking forward to seeing pics of IMVE from new members to the Club!

1 week later
#521 9 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I thought you always get Jericho if you start DOD?

Nope.

It often works out that way though.

For example, you need to start Bogey scoring to get to Jericho, but not to start DoD. You need to get to Mark 6.

#533 9 years ago

Starting Bogey is not a requirement for Jericho. The 6 marks can be earned without it.
These goals earn Marks
Shield rollover completion (1 allowed)
Monger MB (1 allowed)
War machine MB (1 allowed)
Whiplash MB (1 allowed)
Each Iron Man Target completion (3 available)
And of course starting Bogey (1 allowed)

Ah, I didn't realize that multiple Marks could be earned with each IM Target completion.

I'm pretty sure that I've never start Jericho without getting Bogey scoring going first.

Quoted from McCune:

I just played RobT Ironman 2010 version and it is as nice as it gets ! Very fun game .

It was fun playing! Wish we had more time. Glad you are digging your IMVE.

1 week later
#543 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Question for IM original owners. Does it have that thing that makes the centre spinner gate smaller during DoD, or is that just in the VE??

1 month later
#560 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Yes sir it is although I haven't found it online yet. They might not have put it in their site yet.

I really don't think you need that for a HUO game.

#563 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I hear ya and thanks for that, I was going to get it for my extra play field.

Why would you put that on a PF that isn't getting any use?

#570 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

For the future?
Seems like removing everything on a playfield already seeing use and wear would be a major time suck. Put it on the unused playfield and when the day comes to make the change, it's all ready to go.

I wouldn't do that.

#592 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

No extra balls via points!!!

+1

That's the only "gentleman's agreement" that I would agree on.

#595 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

But that does mean no extra balls...ever. Unless there's a trick to getting the SHIELD award to give out EBs...is that fixed in IMVE code?

I get extra balls. It seems random, but I definitely get them.

#606 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I did set all the Iron Monger settings to difficult - all letters must be spotted, and a shot up the middle is needed to start the mode. Gameplay feels more balanced that way.

I was tempted to do this as well.

Ironically, even though this obviously makes raising Iron Monger more difficult, an argument can also be made that it makes the game easier overall. Sometimes you want to try and avoid raising Iron Monger, and that in itself can be a challenge. That challenge is gone with the above settings.

#615 9 years ago

"A" players don't play on old rules with closed outlanes.

You are correct about the closed outlanes.

But you are dead wrong about the old rules.

#629 9 years ago

I thought you were married to that 50M do or die shot?

I am.

And so are some "A" list players. That's the part where you were wrong.

#633 9 years ago
Quoted from cr80:

^Because 50 > 35 and 100 > 70

It really is that simple.

1 month later
#700 9 years ago

^ Congrats!!

#719 9 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

So what strategies does anyone have for playing?

Keep the ball alive!

Other than that I try to stack War Machine with either Iron Monger or Whiplash.

#722 9 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

So stacking...you can stack War Machine with Monger, but not Whiplash with Monger, correct?

Correct.

And you can only stack War Machine with Monger if you start War Machine first.

1 month later
#771 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Best "one more game" pin ever IMHO. Enjoy!

Agreed!

1 week later
#820 9 years ago

Winning the mode is a great feeling.

It sure is!

1 week later
#885 9 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

I've got mine set for fixed extra ball rewards at 10, 20,30, and 40.

1 week later
#903 9 years ago

Completed Jericho last night. This is my 3rd time completing it.

IMG_0450-2.JPGIMG_0450-2.JPG
#906 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

My favorite part of this picture is that it's score number 4

My score could have been a decent bit higher, but I completely failed at DoD. Drained the ball then started Jericho on the next.

My best score was when I nailed DoD for the full 50 million (version 1.4), then went straight to Jericho, and completed that during 2x and scored a nice 100 million points.

#912 9 years ago

Open the outlanes man and update the code!

We've been through this before.

Neither one of these things is going to happen.

#915 9 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

FINALLY got to Do or Die! And somehow did something to collect 100,000,000 points! Double scoring on Do or Die or I think maybe I beat Jericho? It kept telling me what to shoot ("Shoot Whiplash", "Shoot Bogey Ramp") and I wound up beating that. That's Jericho, right?
My heart is still pounding.

IMG_4188.JPG 187 KB

Awesome!

Since you say you got DoD, and you also described Jericho, it means that DoD gave you 2x scoring for the rest of the ball. Completing Jericho gives 50 million x2 = 100 million! That is exactly how you get the big scores on IM!

Your last sentence sums up why I love this pin so damn much!

Edit: If this was your first time collecting the DoD jackpot, you picked a great time to do it since you completed Jericho right after that...which is a lot harder to do than collect DoD.

1 month later
#979 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

You don't like the ramp lights Rob? Too much? It looks better in person. Big wow factor but not always on and not distracting at all.

I think it looks absolutely horrible!

Sorry, that's my honest opinion. Wouldn't even consider putting that on my IM.

#980 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Also the whole....hit this x number of times just got old real fast to me.

Thank God you *never* have to do that on IM!

#1019 9 years ago

Btw, I play with monger at hard (hard settings all around), orbit disabled, lanes at factory. Special set to EB and one score based extra ball that starts in the 20Ms somewhere.
I totally understand purists that don't want extra balls, but I'm pleased with my set up and think its fair for IM. We need a reward in this game for the battle! My top score is around 145M, which features the only time I ever beat Jericho.
Not trying to start anything here, but I think outlanes closed to Max is much more player friendly than one score based EB. I'll bet the ball times with the outlanes closed are more than 2x with them open. Anyone with closed lanes want to post their ball times? I'll post mine later today.

You are now precluded from "bragging" about having your posts set to factory, as this is completely outweighed by you having special = extra ball, extra ball at 20 something million, and Monger set to hard (which, as discussed previously, actually makes the game easier).

3 weeks later
#1071 9 years ago
Quoted from genex:

Finally beat Jericho for the first time - woohoo! Didn't realize that 50M wasn't a hurry up and almost lost the ball hurrying up to hit it

Defeating Jericho is extremely satisfying! Congrats!

1 month later
#1116 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

If you don't have a shaker and sub, get them. They add a whole new dimension to the gameplay.

I don't think that there is a pin that integrates a shaker better than IM.

And an external powered sub is a game changer on IM!

2 months later
#1238 8 years ago

I still don't like the fact that they reduced the DoD shot from 50 million to 35 million points on the latest software version.

4 weeks later
#1296 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Whats wrong with his code? It starts at 35mil on the most current code.

That's what's wrong with it!

50 million FTW!

2 weeks later
#1331 8 years ago

Completed Jericho again today.

3 weeks later
#1382 8 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Im still hearing quotes I never heard before after hundreds of plays.

It really is impressive how many call outs there are in the game, many of which are rarely repeated during the game.

#1384 8 years ago

Anyone wanna buy a killer, brassed out, modded original in NY/NJ? I'm considering leaving the club. This game was once owned by pinball "immortal" Rob T. and it was purchased from NJ Gecko a couple years ago for stupid $.

You've had it quite awhile. I still have my second. Still not tired of it!

8 months later
#2217 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Played IM, GOT and IJ this evening. IM still gets my blood pumping more than any other game ever AHHH....SOOO CLOSE....then drain (rinse /repeat).

So true!

I've had mine for more than 2 years (and this is the second time I've owned IM). Just yesterday I was playing it and yelled "NO!" very loudly when I qualified DoD and drained the ball. My wife just looked at me shaking her head saying "oh my." lol

#2230 7 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

The mere fact that you don't even have ramp lights installed yet

Frankly I think that your IM should be immediately disqualified from contention because you do have them!

2 weeks later
#2286 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I just got Jericho twice on the same live continuous active ball. One of those times I looked up and saw a $3,000,000 award

IM is paying out in cash awards of 3 million dollars now?! Sweet!

Quoted from Grinder901:

Do or die is qualified for if you complete all marks in one ball.

No, Marks have nothing to do with Do or Die. You have to start all 5 modes on the same ball to light Do or Die. The Marks are for Jericho.

1 week later
#2326 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm happy for the people who love invisiglass....but it's just not a big deal to me. Maybe I'm too "old school" but the reflections never really bothered me at all. Yes invisiglass looks better, but not 1375% better (cost difference). If it cost $60 (3x more) I'd probably/maybe get it.

I never understood these kind of comparisons that say that if something cost "1375% more" that means that it should look or perform "1375% better."

Even people who love PDI and Invisiglass won't tell you that it looks "1375% better" than regular glass. But they will tell you that the price is worth the improvement to them, and that's all that matters.

#2331 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Just look at the audio world or what people pay to gain a few more horses from their engines. Argument retracted.

Funny, I actually meant to mention both of those things in my post. I am more familiar with the cost of those incremental improvements in both subjects than I care to admit!

#2351 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

What ever happened to that extra IM play field you had?

I have one with excellent registration if anyone is interested.

3 months later
#2607 7 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Hello fellow IM junkies. Well its been a good run but we are under two dozen pop kits left here. I wanted to post here for the diehard guys that may enjoy them if your late to the party.

Finally got around to ordering a set. Not cheap, but I do think they are the best, and with as much as I've spent on my IM it sure didn't make sense to skimp on these.

2 weeks later
#2629 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Levi, I think factory settings for IM were outlane posts in the top position out of the 4 holes (i.e., wide open), whereas factory settings for IMVE were outlane posts in the 3rd position down from the top (i.e., pretty closed, but not all the way closed).

I have an original IM that I bought from the original owner. He left everything in the stock position. The factory settings for the outlane posts on the original IM were one hole short of wide open. There are 4 holes available.

Quoted from Astropin:

I've got my IMVE outlanes set in the middle.

There is no middle. Like I said above, there are 4 holes available. I'm assuming that holds true for the VE.

#2633 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's interesting. Mine is HUO and set wide open, and yours is HUO and one short of open. I'll check it out.
It's also possible mine are the same of yours and I just didn't realize it.

When I first got mine, looking at the posts from the player position (at least the one on the left side), it looked like it was in the top hole (wide open), but upon closer inspection, there was another open hole.

1 year later
#3276 5 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Iron Man has been my longest standing Pinball Machine in my collection, now at about 7 years. Dozens of pinballs have come and gone, but IM will always stay. I love the adrenaline rush, code, call-outs, and everything the machine offers. It's amazing how it still gives me a rush!

That's awesome. I have now owned IM longer than any other pin I've ever owned as well (I've owned two, since I made the terrible mistake of selling my first one...owned my first IM in summer 2011). I've owned some great pins that I still really love, such as MM, AFM, MB, Tron LE, TWD, LOTR LE, AC/DC etc. but IM has been the one to maintain it's staying power with me more than any other. If I could own only one pin, it would be IM.

I have a TNA on order. I think it will have a similar adrenaline rush to IM, which is what attracted me to it.

#3280 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You won't be disappointed. I have both games as well. Both easy to learn, hard to master. The game play style is from two different eras, but produces the same emotions. Frequent moments of adrenaline & elation, followed by the inevitable frustrations that comes from poor execution. Just like IM, you will wear out your start button. They are both long term keepers IMO.
They are also the only games I've been playing for months, unless I turn on Flash Gordon for a real lesson in humility

Exactly what I wanted to hear! Can't wait.

1 month later
#3293 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You might be getting confused with Do-Or-Die Multiball, which is a real mode, but is basically unobtainable for 99% of players.
Actually probably 99.9% of players.

Way more difficult than Valinor.

#3295 5 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Thanks, I heard someone say Jericho multi-ball in another thread and thought I was missing something

Nope, no such thing as Jericho Multiball. But I try to start a multiball before starting Jericho when possible, which can be a big help in terms of completing it.

#3302 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, I’m perplexed. You can carry a multiball into Jericho? I’ve always thought you needed to dump down to one ball before the shot is available. If I start a multiball the flashers on the insert stop until I’m back to one ball.

I did it a couple of weeks ago. I did not carry a multiball into Jericho, so I phrased my post incorrectly. I started a MB after I started Jericho but I don't remember which one it was..

Getting old sucks.

I'm on the older software version with the 50 million points for the Do or Die shot, not sure if that makes a difference.

10 months later
#3512 4 years ago

Unbelievable. Where does the time go?

I started this Iron Man Club thread 5 years ago! I can't believe that I have had my (second) Iron Man that long. And still not ready to sell!

1 year later
#4352 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Back in the club! I had an IMVE when they first came out...now I own a fantastic looking original run that has been featured in this thread before...
This game is such an ass kicker, I love it...
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks familiar.

I hereby hand over the reigns as the OP to Cosmo!

Seriously, I am very glad to know that my IM has gone to a great home.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobT.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club?tu=RobT and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.