(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,021 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2448 7 years ago

IMVE inbound from Stark Industries.

In the meantime, I'm just a sad adrenaline junkie going through withdrawal.

#2450 7 years ago

Quick questions for you fellow adrenaline junkies, as I await my upcoming NIB shipment from Stark Industries:

1. Does anyone have a digital copy of a decent color manual, one that isn't poorly scanned and missing reams of pages and schematics? (I'm looking at you, Stern website gatekeeper! ) If not, does the game come with a decent paper manual, or would you recommend buying one from Marcos or another aftermarket vendor?

2. On IMVE, is the playfield supported by simple support bolts/pegs, or proper support slide brackets?

3. On IMVE, what brand of LEDs (e.g., Comet, Cointaker) and type (e.g., non-ghosting, ghosting, 1 SMD, 2 SMD) were used by Stern?

4. How well does the LED OCD mod work on IMVE? (I've had an awesome experience with this mod on my LOTR.)

5. For those who have Color DMDs, what setting do you use (e.g., dots, dotsXL, scan)?

6. Are there any hot, super-secret, killer mods that aren't already listed on Grinder's list of "required mods" about half-way through this thread?

7. Has anyone EVER reached DoDMB? If so, is there any video evidence? (I'd love to watch it!)

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2474 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Not really. Something in a different lane than that.

Ironman Remixed: The Different Lane Edition?

#2476 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

More like this: » YouTube video
Except that was a first draft, and it's going to be different than that. A bit. Larger Display window for full 2.35 video of the movie parts.

Dude, that is f'ing AWESOME!!! Can't wait to see more.

PS - "Ironman Remixed" confirmed!

#2487 7 years ago

Hello, Natasha.

IMG_2148.JPGIMG_2148.JPG

#2489 7 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

Welcome to the LOTR & IM owners club!

Thanks. They complement each other nicely!

#2494 7 years ago

I got the new pin set up this morning. Fortunately, there was no shipping damage, and everything is in working order. Nothing broken, no scratchs or dings on the cabinet, and no ghosting on the playfield. Yay!

I put it through the paces and reached Jericho shortly thereafter. The score is nothing to write home about, but it's always fun to put your initials up on a new pin.

Thank you, Stark Industries.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#2508 7 years ago

I got a new high score tonight. Started the Do-Or-Die hurry-up on ball one, and nailed the hurry-up for 34 million. Finished ball one with 68 million, and posted a final score of 78 million.

God, I love this game!!!

IMG_2181.JPGIMG_2181.JPG

#2511 7 years ago

Awesome work, Eric!

#2513 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

IM, including the VE, is an interesting case. It's the only game I know of that has an option for LED vs incandescent light show. If you choose LED, it dumbs down the insert lighting so that it plays nicer with LEDs. If you set it to incandescent, you still get the full light show, but it will cause massive flickering if you have LEDs installed.
In my opinion (obviously biased), IM set to incandescent with LED OCD is the best you can get. In fact, I would say that IM is probably the single best use for LED OCD that I have seen.

I installed the LED OCD kit in my new IMVE late last night, and holy $&!#, were you right! This is the second kit of yours that I've installed, and the smooooth lighting transitions with the LEDs using the "Incadescent" setting in the game menu are just as noticeable as they are on my LOTR.

Herg, you rock, dude! Thanks again for making such a wonderful product!

1 week later
#2555 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Has anybody tried the NVRAM in their IMVE? Good? Cons to the install? Would you have to reinstall anything or re-setup your settings?

Quoted from Lermods:

It's been a while, but nvram really isn't needed as its a round watch-type battery, forget what they are called (lithium-ion maybe). They last a long time and don't leak.

Lermods is right. Also, the RAM on Stern's S.A.M. system boards are surface-mounted, so there is no plug and play option.

#2558 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Ok thanks guys! I had a set of batteries corrode on me in a different game - my fault for ignoring it when I had kids years ago. Didn't want that to happen again and was going to solve it forever on this game based on the claims. How often should that watch-type of battery be changed? 6 months, year, 2 years?

If you're really worried, you can send your board to Rob Anthony at LockWhenLit.com (Borygard here on Pinside), and he can solder on a surface-mounted NVRAM to put your mind at ease.

1 month later
#2587 7 years ago

Courtesy of Matt Riesterer at Back Alley Creations.

Thanks, Matt. You're too good to me, dude!

IMG_2417.JPGIMG_2417.JPG

3 weeks later
#2618 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Hey, guys.... Are the mylar circles with the colored rings still available for the magnets?

I can't find any colored Mylar rings for the Iron Man magnets... just the clear ones from Marco...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/803-5000-MG

Alternatively, you can install Cliffy's carbon fiber rings.

#2622 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have an Iron Man. Outlane posts are set conservative (as open as they get).
Breaking 15 million on this game is a struggle, and I'm not bad at Iron Man. I'm wondering if this is the incorrect "factory" setting?

Levi, I think factory settings for IM were outlane posts in the top position out of the 4 holes (i.e., wide open), whereas factory settings for IMVE were outlane posts in the 3rd position down from the top (i.e., pretty closed, but not all the way closed).

#2631 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The factory settings for the outlane posts on the original IM were one hole short of wide open. There are 4 holes available.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew for certain what the IMVE factory post setting was, since I just bought one NIB, but wasn't sure about IM.

2 weeks later
#2639 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I got a new high score tonight. Started the Do-Or-Die hurry-up on ball one, and nailed the hurry-up for 34 million. Finished ball one with 68 million, and posted a final score of 78 million.
God, I love this game!!!

I tacked another 8 million onto my previous high score. Making progress!

IMG_2585.JPGIMG_2585.JPG

6 months later
#2876 6 years ago

Karl DeAngelo recently achieved the elusive Iron Man "Do or Die Multiball" wizard mode on a live stream!

Enjoy the video.

Nice job, Karl!

https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=5668

Note: "Do or Die Multiball" wizard mode is often confused with the more common "Do or Die Hurry-up", but it is MUCH more difficult to achieve, because it only becomes available when you COMPLETE each mission, not just start them.

#2879 6 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I bought IM new in 2010, will never leave. I have seen some different sling plastics in this thread. That is the only thing left. Always looking, has anybody seen any for sale? Thanks.

Laseriffic makes a nice set of pink and light blue protective plastics for the slings and inlanes...

https://shop.laseriffic.com/collections/plastic-protectors/products/iron-man-plastic-protector-set

1 week later
#2917 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Hoping you can lend some advice here. I am going to look at an IM this week. Could use some advice on if you think it fits nicely into my smaller collection. Yes I realize it comes down to if I like the game but would like some feedback regardless. Right now I have LOTR and TRON. I love them both the same. I'm a mediocre player at best but get equal enjoyment from each. I really enjoy customizing the machines which is another reason I'm drawn to IM. Wondering what your thoughts are from those that know the game.

LOTR and IM are almost polar opposites, so they happen to be very complimentary in small collections like yours and mine.

Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I love Iron Man and LOTR for example for completely different reasons. It's not even reasonable to compare them.

Quoted from The_Gorilla:

IM and LOTR are nearly polar opposites in terms of game play and game style. The contrast is wonderful. I am waiting to see if TH is ever made and will then look between TH and LOTR as a compliment to IM

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I just did a temp trade - My IM for LOTR. Wow, so far I feel LOTR is a player. A deeper, easier to play, (not complete) LOTR may balance out my little butt kicker IM in the future.

Quoted from Vyzer2:

LOTR is a great game in any collection but even better to balance out short games (IM) with a longer game. Both keepers.

Quoted from NightTrain:

I own both and have those two right next to each other for a reason. They balance each other out very well. It's really hard to say which one I like better because they are both so very different....but if I had a gun to my head, I would say I prefer LOTR. It's more of an adventure. So if I have the time to really play some pinball, I'll go to that or Metallica. If I'm short on time or just want my ass kicked, I'll play Iron Man.

They are both killer games. Ironman was a must have for me. I've always wanted a LOTR and recently picked one up. I never REALLY played LOTR before I bought it. I never understood the hype, as I had played only a handful of games on it. I was wowed with how great LOTR is. I still love Ironman but I definitely put more time on LOTR. Both are great games to own together.

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I am getting LOTR- pinball polar opposite of IM?

Quoted from Lermods:

In a 2 pin collection, LOTR or TSPP and IM are great pins to have.

3 months later
#3075 6 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

My IM has always had a "hum" when you hold the flipper. The hum seems to be getting much worse. Any ideas if flippers need a rebuild or something with the soundboard? Am thinking of a pinsound but it sounds really good now except the hum

Loosen the coil mounting brackets, ensure that a spring washer is installed, and then install one bracket securely using Blue (medium strength) Loctite on the mounting screws. Pinch the loose bracket and the installed bracket together tightly to remove any slop (with the coil and spring washer installed), and then tighten the bracket mounting screws on the loose bracket (again, using Blue Loctite). That should reduce the flipper hum. If not, then the coil stop bracket may need to be replaced, using the same installation technique.

6 months later
#3281 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's awesome. I have now owned IM longer than any other pin I've ever owned as well (I've owned two, since I made the terrible mistake of selling my first one...owned my first IM in summer 2011). I've owned some great pins that I still really love, such as MM, AFM, MB, Tron LE, TWD, LOTR LE, AC/DC etc. but IM has been the one to maintain it's staying power with me more than any other. If I could own only one pin, it would be IM.
I have a TNA on order. I think it will have a similar adrenaline rush to IM, which is what attracted me to it.

Welcome back, Captain!

RobT (resized).jpgRobT (resized).jpg

1 year later
#3543 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

As for the setting to disable the skill shot post, do you have a number from the menu? Sorry, my manual isn’t available and it isn’t online.

Feature Adjustment #16
Disable Orbit Up-Post (YES/NO)

88B94AF1-F88E-45C6-8DAB-2E037F685E57 (resized).jpeg88B94AF1-F88E-45C6-8DAB-2E037F685E57 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#3559 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Has anyone had this issue on the ramps with it bouncing back? I have attached a video below. On my right ramp a have 2 small spacers and the right ramp works great but the left ramp doesn't have any spacers and I get a bounce back (doesn't fall through the hole right away). Any ideas would be appreciated.

The reason for the two hex spacers on the right ramp support is for the right-side playfield spotlight to be mounted BETWEEN the spacers. Your spotlight appears to be mounted ABOVE the top spacer.

The left-side playfield spotlight is not mounted on the ramp support, so the taller, single hex spacer supporting your left ramp is correct.

On my game’s left ramp, the ball bounces back from the rubber bumper about an inch before falling into the in-lane... not as much as yours, and definitely never noticeable before today. I noticed that the bumper bounces the ball a little upwards rather than directly back. The bumper appears to be following the natural contour on the end of the ramp, which is sloped a little backwards towards the player, and not completely perpendicular to the floor of the ramp. I suggest playing with the angle of the bumper to see if you can pitch it a little backwards to deflect some of the ball’s momentum upwards. That may help minimize those long bounce-backs to something less noticeable and annoying.

1 year later
#4417 2 years ago

Wow! I just installed the last code update (1.86) and set a new personal best within the first hour. Completed Jericho, too, and it was a doozy!
3AD37391-0947-429E-A53B-0F273AB07856 (resized).jpeg3AD37391-0947-429E-A53B-0F273AB07856 (resized).jpeg9B268FA3-CAC9-46E3-89C2-4D828539F2C7 (resized).jpeg9B268FA3-CAC9-46E3-89C2-4D828539F2C7 (resized).jpeg

#4423 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Is the new code much different?

1.86 was mostly clean-up following 1.85. Both were new to me, since I had not updated the code since I purchased my VE, so it was still running 1.83 (released August 19, 2014).

I don’t think the new features made much impact on my score. I also posted a new high score on my STLE after reaching Kobayashi Maru with no code update. I had just taken a break from pinball for a while and was excited to see that I could still play and post a decent score.

Below is the ReadMe file text for both versions of the new (to me) IM code...

* STERN PINBALL, INC. *
* (C) COPYRIGHT 2007 - 2020 STERN PINBALL, INC. *
* Iron Man *

HELP US, HELP YOU! If you have any suggestions, questions, need technical
advice, find errors or have comments, contact us through our website:

http://www.sternpinball.com/contact.shtml

or call 1-800-542-5377. You can also email [email protected] to
report any software problems.

This text file and all other documents relating to this product, playfield
components, features, rules, programming and operation are subject to change
without notice (Service Bulletins, if applicable, available through our
website).

V 01.86.0 - 28-April-2020
=========================

- Removed ADD-A-BALL from the SHILED award for DO OR DIE MULTIBALL, as
the multiball continuously serves all of the balls from the trough for
the duration of the multiball, so ADD-A-BALL doesn't make sense here.
- Added settings for SHIELD EXTRA BALL and SHIELD SPECIAL; these allow
the user to enable (the default) or disbale these features as desired.
- Fixed a problem with the implementation of the IRONMAN TARGET
DIFFICULTY adjustment. The MEDIUM setting was implemented correctly,
but the EXTRA EASY setting was implemented as EXTRA HARD and the
EASY setting was implemented as HARD. This has been changed to a
new setting, 1ST HARD IRONMAN TARGET SET; the range is 1-10 and the
default is 4, which corresponds to starting the second IRONMAN FAST
SCORING mode, which is the same as the previous implementation for
the MEDIUM setting (most games).
- Reworked the 1ST HARD BOGEY RAMP (SET) adjustment to be more logically
readable; the behavior is the same, but instead of a default value of
'1' (which implies the first ramp set is hard, which it isn't and never
was), the default is now '2' (second set). The range has been changed
from 0-10 to 1-10, as setting the adjustment to 0 (the 0th set) also
doesn't make much sense.
- Implemented the MUSIC ATTENUATION and SPEECH ATTENUATION adjustments;
these were not implemented.
- Fixed a display bug in the WHIPLASH MULTIBALL background display effect
that was causing the number of hits left to light the super jackpot to
be displayed incorrectly.
- Updated default initials for some High Score To Date entries.

V 01.85.0 - 11-March-2020
=========================

- Added a new skill shot rule:
- Activate by holding in the left flipper button and plunging the ball
to the top lanes.
- The left orbit up-post will remain DOWN and the normal skill shot will
be disabled.
- Either lane will award 1M + 250K for each additional skill shot made
(old or new).
- Whiplash multiball autofire time increased from 5 seconds to 10 seconds.
- Added additional information to the background display effect for WHIPLASH
multiball.
- Whiplash multiball jackpots increased from 250K to 350K + an additional
12.5K per shot made, up to a maximum of 500K.
- Added new effects for WHIPLASH multiball 1/2-way jackpot (the first award
that is collected at the WHIPLASH targets). Formerly, this required two
shots for 500K and 1M. Now, this requires one shot for 2.5M.
- Added new effects for WHIPLASH multiball super jackpot (the second award
that is collected at the WHIPLASH targets). The score has been increased
from 3M to 5M.
- Fixed an issue with the speech for HIGH SCORE TO DATE that would cause
some of the phrases to be repeated back to back.
- Added speech for the flipper buttons in ATTRACT MODE.
- Added speech at game start.
- Added a setting that allows the IRON MAN mode (FAST SCORING, 2X SCORING,
HURRY-UP) to be started when READY during MULTIBALL. The current default
is OFF (i.e. to not allow the mode to start; this is the same behavior as
before).
- Fixed an issue where the background lamp effect for the IRON MAN mode
start ready (the pulsing lights on the IRON MAN targets) would run when
the mode had been qualified but could not be started (during multiball).
- USA default game pricing changed to USA 11 (1/$1 3/$2).
- Added an EXTRA BALL for completing the IRON MAN standup targets. The
current default (adjustable) is 2 completions.
- Fixed errors in text and limit values of adjustments.
- Added a half-way bonus for the MARK SUITS. The bonus is lit after the
third MARK SUIT and awarded at the SPINNER.
- Reduced the number of WHIPLASH TARGETS needed for subsequent WHIPLASH
MULTIBALLS from +5 hits to +1 hit, as an adjustment.
- Added a maximum number of hits for WHIPLASH, as an adjustment.
- SHIELD lanes now light S.H.I.E.L.D. (MYSTERY) after the lanes during
JERICHO MISSILE MAYHEM have been completed.
- Added high score tables for BOGEY, IRON MAN, WAR MACHINE, IRON MONGER,
WHIPLASH, DRONES, and DO OR DIE MULTIBALL.
- Game over effects are terminated when entering test mode.
- Synced the knocker to run with replay/special effects.
- Renamed music and speech volume adjustments (attenuation).
- Fixed a bug that was causing the Magnet device driver to ignore the
"disabled" adjustment.
- Fixed switches from showing up in the tech alert when they are not
broken. These include:
TOURNAMENT START BUTTON
START BUTTON
LEFT COIN
CENTER COIN
RIGHT COIN
FOURTH COIN
FIFTH COIN
DEDICATED #15 (NOT USED)
TILT PENDULUM
SLAM TILT (OPTIONAL)
TICKET NOTCH
TEST ESCAPE, MINUS, PLUS, ENTER
DIP #1 - #8
- Updated to new versioning scheme.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club?tu=Razorbak86 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.