(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,017 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider J85M.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2149 8 years ago

Hi guys looking for an IM and spotted one on eBay but it says it's a special edition it's not a vault edition anyone know what the special edition was Ive never heard of a SE ironman.

Also can anyone detail the real differences between the original runs and vault edition for me. Thanks in advance

#2151 8 years ago

Thanks Astropin I completely forgot Stern even produced the iron man classic

This is the pin in question not sure if seller is a Pinside member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281982469107

Shame Stern don't appear to be making any more vault editions now I'm in a position to rebuild my lineup.

4 months later
#2484 7 years ago

Has anyone done a light up Arc reactor shooter rod mod?

#2485 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

More like this: » YouTube video
Except that was a first draft, and it's going to be different than that. A bit. Larger Display window for full 2.35 video of the movie parts.

Holy sh*t that was awesome!

1 month later
#2590 7 years ago

FINALLY back in the Ironman club!

NIB Ironman Pro coming home, it's been a long time coming following some rough times but the collection is finally starting to grow again

#2596 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Whatever you did...looks amazing!!!

Posssibly one of the most innovative and best mods for any game awesome work cannot wait to see Jericho mod done!

Do you have any plans on changing the requirements for do or die multiball as well as adding video for do or die aswell as DOD multIball through your code?

#2597 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Cool!......and I just picked up a Goldeneye.

Awesome choice man, Goldeneye is a seriously underrated pin, but when it's working 100% IMO there is nothing else that plays like it and it's a great compliment to IRONMAN and the rest of your collection congrates on the purchase.

#2599 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I definitely plan to add an alternate 'hold the flipper' skill shot, an extra ball you can earn somehow.
Jericho is actually a little dull, visually. Every shot is the same clip - just because there's not much to work with from the film, really. But at least it'll be pretty.
I'm working on the "Ironman Scoring" right now - man what a waste that mode is. It's a huge let down after double scoring. I think I'll probably change it up. Make it "Hulkbuster Scoring" and tweak it so you can actually get big points out of it. Like ramp shots multiply the shot value and add some time, or something.

Sounds awesome! A skillshot or 2 are greatly needed, any thought about adding combos? I know we have BOGEY shots, but I love hitting orbits followed by ramps or vice versa in Ironman as the speed cranks up and it would be great to see the pin recognise that?

I know I have read most of your posts regarding your plans so I apologise if anyone of this is stuff you have covered but regarding Jericho could you not just break up the scene a little so you have to earn the big "I give you the Jericho" speach followed by the actual missle launch and explosion as the last completed mode video clip? Always seemed like the part of the scene I felt should really be earnt and with your mod it would be a real visual/audio treat?

Rewatching the scene, you could always add a cool little Easter egg for performing particularly well during Jericho, at the end of the scene RDJ opens a drinks case and says something like "I'll through one of these in on any order of 500 million or more" I don't know if its something you are doing rebalancing the scoring but if so it would be awesome to have that little "Easter egg" clip for someone achieving high scores within Jericho to match up with actual jerhico scores.

Speaking of video clips, I always found whiplash MB to be very limited video wise, would be awesome to see more of the monico scene broken down into shot clips as the whole scene IMO is great fun and the suitcase suit is just awesome! War machine multiball always seemed like scenes from the party at the stark house in Ironman 2 or the team up against whiplash would have made most sense too.

#2600 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I definitely plan to add an alternate 'hold the flipper' skill shot, an extra ball you can earn somehow, and at least adjustments for making DOD multiball easier. I'm not sure what video would be good for DOD multiball though

How about rethemeing Do or Die & Do or Die Multiball??

While I agree the whole Ironman scoring system (fast, double, IM) was a missed opportunity, but the hulkbuster battle could definitely be cool as a retheme of Do or Die, as the mode names themselves never made a lot of sense to the theme IMO, a retheme of DOD & DODMB would be awesome, I would even be willing to donate towards your time for that as I'm sure others would be too, adding two more useable and fun modes essentially should be priceless to most IM owners.

Best scenes I can think of for rethemeing do or die/do or die mb are probably the end of Ironman 3 "clean slate protocol" sounds cool loads of audio clips for it and that last scene was visually awesome, hulkbuster like you said would be cool "hulkbuster battle" or "Ironman vs hulk" would definitely be cool having that final mode in IM getting the hulkbuster armour.

Anyway man love what you are doing just wanted to throw out some thoughts while Im sitting in the sun on vacation.

1 week later
#2606 7 years ago

I will second that I recently brought a set of pop bumper caps from Rob aka Hooked as well as War Machine, Whiplash (w/el whips) & Monger and they are easily the best modded figures available for Ironman, the flush led/chest arcs look as good as factory and Robs service is second to none

#2609 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Finally got around to ordering a set. Not cheap, but I do think they are the best, and with as much as I've spent on my IM it sure didn't make sense to skimp on these.

You won't be disappointed Rob they are stunning and the quality is top notch!

The quality and finish of Hooked's LED figures are also easily the best around if anyone is looking for a factory finish.

3 weeks later
#2636 7 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

This is how it came from Stern. It is a VE that I bought NIB. Odd they seem to be all over the place with the placement of them.

Like RobT said further up on this page, from players POV the original IM release was set 3rd hole up, so almost wide open and the VE was released with posts placed in the 2nd hole up from bottom, almost at most closed.

Wouldn't surprise me though if a few games where different, after all we all saw the photos of all those GB pins that had left Stern with mismatched lollipop side rails, so out lane posts could easily be just as mismatched but generally they where set as above, I guess the VE was released to be a little less rage inducing

1 week later
#2640 7 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

Oh and i finished installing Pinduino lights on the ramps. Great mod, looks awesome worth every penny. I went with mounting the strips on the outside edge of the ramps, it made it easy to install and it has a much cleaner factory look to it.

Those look great, if I could have them just set to go off with Whiplash hits and whiplash multi ball I would have a set the shape of the ramps almost look like his whips.

#2646 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Why can't you do that? Just tie into the flasher. Not familiar with the pinduino, what does it hook into to draw power?

You know I didn't even think of it like that

Although it looks cool as it is, I think I would prefer something more similar to the Tron ramp kit using light tubes or EL wire instead of led strips, I am not totally sold on seeing each individual led although a diffuser strip would be a an easy solution, something like the Tron ramp kit would look great and more whip like and it's the whiplash targets and multi ball I want to enhance.

1 week later
#2658 7 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

This image tells you everything you ever need to know about Iron Man.
I mean, pretty good score, right? 109,020,390!
Well, actually it's a pretty dang horrible score.
Ball 1, I am on FIRE. I am hitting everything, started Bogey quickly, wound up lighting everything, getting to Mark 6. So we have Do or Die lit and I hit it pretty fast, like 25M or so for that I think. That starts double scoring and I immediately go into Jericho. I am doing pretty good on Jericho, think I got over halfway before a left drain. Look up, and my score is over 99,000,000. First ball remember, and I got an extra ball on it as well. Thinking this is going to be a really good game. Thinking pretty highly of myself.
And that's when Iron Man reminded me I wasn't nuthin'. And this game was IRON MAN.
It slapped the cockiness right out of me, punching me repeatedly in the face with drains and just being the cruelest game ever. The next three balls were gone so fast I almost felt like the game was laughing at me. I legit was shocked I was able to gain another 10,000,000 over the course of THREE BALLS they way it was treating me.
This is why I love this machine. It's always a fight.
A mean, nasty, vicious fight.

What colourdmd do you have installed in your Ironman? The LCD or the LED? Your screenshot looks great.

#2660 7 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

LCD. I am going to get an LED for my SW I think sometime soon...

Do you have both in your games? what are your first hand experiences/opinions of them both? I am unsure whether to go LED or LCD for my games, I like the idea of the LED being a more stock look & I have heard the LED is better for games with lots of black like TRON etc.

1 month later
#2669 7 years ago

Has anyone put a plastic protectors set on their ironman? Any particular seller/product you guys would recommend?

#2672 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I've always use Pinbits protectors and they fit perfectly on every game I've done it for... not actually sure if anyone else sells full sets.
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_86&products_id=484

Quoted from Goalie:

Yeah, pinbits has good quality sets that fit well.

Thanks guys, I will order sets for all my games later tonight.

#2675 7 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

Yup, installed them on my IM a month or so ago. Super easy, everything fit perfectly.

Quoted from thepinballworks:

Yep, I used the pinbits ones also. Very happy with them.

Great, I think they have passed the positive pinside feedback test

Just putting an order in now for all my games

#2677 7 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Just joined the club!
Anybody have instructions for the Hooked Whiplash EL wire mod installation?? My game came with one uninstalled. I can't find install instructions anywhere. Cheers.

Just send Hooked a PM, sure he will email you some instructions over, Rob is a great guy and his Ironman mods are easily the best out there.

2 weeks later
#2683 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I'm not getting an LED OCD board mate until I go to the US later this year. The price difference between the US and Europe is mental.

So that's where the IM from Tilt in Birmingham went, congrates my man

Like Paul mentions without OCD original run IM have LED ghosting & you loose a lot of the lamp effects with non-ghosting LEDS as well as the VE when set to LEDs. OCD is amazing allows you to keep all the cool lamp effects on IM without sending you into a seizure

Although I wonder if you can put the VE software into an original IM and at least give yourself the option to set lamps to LED? Anyone tried that? I might go check the read me and see if they also added that option to the original IM code

#2685 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I have an original that came with LEDs. I'm not sure what brand, but there wish no LCD board and no ghosting. I guess I am missing fade effects?

Maybe ghost busting leds? Unless the original ironman code has also been updated with the lamp choice option?

I'm still waiting for my NIB IM to arrive not long now

2 weeks later
#2690 7 years ago

Is there a definitive IM mod list anywhere?

#2692 7 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Take an hour and read the whole thread. I've got a ton of mods and from where they came from mentioned on here

I thought I remembered you posted a list as I know your ironnan is loaded to the max and you are the king of Ironman mods but couldn't seem to find your post.

#2694 7 years ago

stoptap yeah I've got led figures ready to go, they where my first thing to check off and i have a new sticker for the monger lid which looks great!

Also got a great Ironman figure I'm trying to put LEDs in chest, hand and helmet for the eyes see how that goes as I progress, going to add him near or around the ironman targets.

And I've got another Ironman figure and 2 raptor jets, want to do something with the ramps as Bogey is such a good mode would love to have something on the play field that ties to that mode.

#2696 7 years ago

Ah yes the IM from Tilt, how is she?

And which of the 3 lid covers did you go with?

#2698 7 years ago

Great choice same decal I went with, I know there are a couple others but that one just adds something extra to the area. Look at the playfield still looks flawless, just goes to show those that say Stern haven't changed their playfileds might want to look closer at older games, looks gorgeous there stoptap congrates on getting her in the home!

1 month later
#2754 7 years ago
Quoted from GreatBug:

I just installed a colorDMD LED in my IMVE and I'm loving the results:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/131877641

LED display looks awesome super bright and clear, I am waiting until ST is coloured before ordering colourdmd's for all my games at once, the more I see though I think I will be going LED for all my games.

#2758 7 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

So you dont like the LCD? I did LCD in TSPP and i really like it. Just did LED on DESW and not loving it. Maybe its the colorization, but the colors on the LED has way too bold, no transitioning. I only have 1 of each so not much to compare it to

I have seen people mention a filter/film that darkens the led displays a little and supposedly improves their look massively by reducing the pin point brightness, tried finding a link but no luck, they have definitely been mentioned in colourdmd thread as I plan on buying them when I get some colourdmds as I will be going with led displays for all my games.

1 month later
#2787 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

so strange that in the USA this pin is more than loved, but not really so much in Europe... !?

That is strange, everyone I know in the UK & Europe (France, Germany, Netherlands) loves Ironman, a lot didn't love it when it was first released but I don't know many people that don't love getting their asses handed to them by Ironman

#2789 6 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

Since i have Iron Man (my first Stern) i am desperatly in search of others Stern similar, with the same intensity, speed brutality and fun. But i don't find... And i had many...
I will get soon a Avatar, not the same ratings and reputation but i think it will be close to IM, i hope
I already had SM, Tron, TWD, LOTR, XM, ACDC, MET, all are gone. But IM will leave the day i'll lose interest in pinball

IM is a one of a kind game when it comes to intensity, speed, brutality and fun, I wouldn't pay attention to the ratings for Avatar its just as good as IM. Just like IM Avatar has awesome shots and has another one of Sterns best art and sound packages, the game looks as good as it sounds, I actually prefer Avatar over XM, LOTR, ACDC and MET, I don't think you will be disappointed.

#2797 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Good choice....it's a pretty good "bang for your buck" as well.

Avatar is certainly every bit as good as IM, if you swapped the themes I believe people would still prefer IM on the Avatar layout.

IM is just universally a cool theme and the movie is now a classic of sorts Marvel killed it with the first film and RDJ as Stark. Where as Avatar is a very divisive film some love it and some hate it.

Strip back the games to bare white woods and it would be a tough call, as a total package IM is probably the better game, but I think Avatar actually has the better layout and shots.

#2798 6 years ago

With both games Borg knocked them out the park considering the creative and budget restraints he was under at the time.

#2800 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Looks like he's done it again with Aerosmith.

AS is another great shooter from Borg, but its BOM is probably greater than IM and Avatar combined

#2802 6 years ago

Bill of Materials - basically the budget/cost of each game.

#2806 6 years ago

I have had both, well AFM was my fathers to be exact but if I could only have one or the other in my collection IM would be my choice hands down.

Very few games are as engaging and as addictive (one more game) as IM, plus it has one of the best sound packages in Pinball history IM sounds as good as it plays the whole experience is just an adrenaline rush.

AFM is super fun but it just doesn't get my blood pumping like IM, plus my kids love IM.

#2807 6 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

IM vs anything, IM wins

Yeah that pretty much sums it up

#2811 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Chuck Norris?

Don't you know...??

Chuck Norris... is Ironman

IMG_2725 (resized).JPGIMG_2725 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#2863 6 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Ive just Join the Club,
Exelent shape, mirror blades, leds, need some opinions on best modes to add it?
Considering shaker, and playfield protector...

Those instruction cards look awesome! Any idea where they came from?

#2874 6 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

?!? can someone ask me on this one

When Monger is up and active in the game the magnet should always pulse when you hit him to simulate him fighting back.

It why the preferred strategy is to hit him on the side and avoid hits head on, which I totally ignore love hitting him head on and letting the magnet throw the ball

#2875 6 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Ive just Join the Club,
Exelent shape, mirror blades, leds, need some opinions on best modes to add it?
Considering shaker, and playfield protector...

Get a cliffy ramp protector on the right side of your right ramp asap! It takes a battering and is often broken on a lot of games.

Also cliffys carbon fibre magnet protectors are a great idea and look great on the game.

#2886 6 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Any of you have a playfield protector on iron man?!
I was wondering if magnets work just fine with this...

Nope never needed one, keep magnet heads in good condition and keep them level with the playfield and you will be good.

I have used cliffys carbon fibre magnet protectors and they seem to work great at protecting the edges of the playfield where the magnet cores come through the playfield.

#2888 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I never really liked IM until I had one a while back to shop out for a friend. After it left here I started missing it more and more until I couldn't take it any more. Now I'm happy again!

Ironman is the standard when it comes to just how good a stripped playfield can actually be. There are other games out there with twice the number of toys/mechs than Ironman but if I had to choose there isn't much I would pick instead of Ironman, as a whole package sound, lights, fx, music pressing start is like a shot of adrenaline.

#2892 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Thanks for that...just ordered a set.

No problem dude, I know his metal ones used to curl up a little and lift, so far these carbon ones haven't shown any signs of doing so, plus I think they look better than mylar rings.

#2911 6 years ago

Email Cliff and buy the carbon fibre versions so far I haven't seen anyone say they lift or curl like the metal ones have been reported to do in the past. Carbon fibre magnet rings also look sweet

#2913 6 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

this, right!?

Yeah!

Just email and ask, his service is second to none.

#2934 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Ah, ok. I see what you mean now. I try and do same when it looks like Monger can't be avoided.
Do not like the fact that when you're in Monger MB, that's practI ally all you can do. I guess if Bogey or one of the IM target modes is already running you can do that and run up your shields, but you can't advance anything else of consequence. It's basically just Monger, and that can get boring. Monger MB can be exciting of course, with the magnet and Super shot, but I'm usually glad it's over. Whiplash and WM, on the other hand, I never get enough of.

I have Monger set to hard, makes him far more balanced with the other MBs and opens the game up a little reducing the Monger road block so to speak.

2 weeks later
#2954 6 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Someone added "Shoot to Thrill" by AC/DC during War Machine multiball and "Ironman" by Black Sabbath somewhere in the mix.

AC/DC's Shoot to Thrill could work nicely in the game but I cant see Black Sabbath working to well, its a pretty slow song tempo wise.

Then again IM has some of the best audio on a modern pin, literally not a bad track in the game.

#2956 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Black sabbath plays in the game over sequence. I have the code somewhere I think, I'll post a link to it.

I meant in game/gameplay, it works in the end game screen, but putting it into the gameplay I dunno, just wouldn't work imo, games just too fast and an adrenaline rush compared to most of Sabbaths IM track which is pretty slow and lethargic.

2 weeks later
#2996 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

That's cool but I'd like to try & do it myself. Already bought some 3.75inch figures to modify, as I didn't want to screw up the originals that came with the machine.

HoakyPoaky if your going to buy IM figures with chest LEDs already fitted go with either HOOKED (www.hookedonpinball.com) his are the best available in my opinion, kimballspinballs are also top notch.

No exposed wiring, no exposed LED body's just the heads plus in white giving a perfect Arc Reactor look/finish.

#3002 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I had hooked do mine, w dual EL whips at each hand..bad ass....the support wire was hand woven and fine gauge...I could have never pulled that off....

Is that how he does the figures he sells on his site or was that a special request/order Mark? Any pics sounds cool!

#3017 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'll hold off until grinder installs those plasma caps & gives his opinion

Those plasma caps do look kinda cool but for Ironman HOOKED pop caps are unbeatable, they look like they better than factory.

#3025 6 years ago

They give Ironman it's factory/stock look back especially in the red, yellow, orange combo.

But I don't know, after getting HOOKED pop caps it's going to be tough finding anything that looks better!

#3039 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Ordered a clear plastic protector set from Laserrific and they sent me the red/blue version by mistake.
Anyone have this one installed and how does it look?
Maybe I'll keep them and run with it.

Personally I always go clear, coloured plastics have the same effect as coloured GI, washes out or tints the art.

2 months later
#3092 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Shit. How much is this going to cost me?

Yeah what he said!

Awesome work as always TimeBandit

#3095 6 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

Just gotta spring for the LE and they're yours!

In all honestly the standups are more of an advantage, as you can bounce a shot off the standups and through GEM, doesn't work anywhere near as well on the LE with the drops, but drops are like spinners, simple yet awesome!

4 months later
#3212 6 years ago

Anyone at TPF manage to ask Lyman in person about possibly revisiting the code? There is a code discussion thread a lot of people would like a proper skill shot and some champion leaderboards - bogey champion, ironmonger champion, whiplash champion etc

1 week later
#3225 6 years ago

Well I sent Lyman a polite email about IM code - stuff that’s been spoken about here and in other IM threads, like skillshots, champion scoreboards etc, no response as of yet, imagine he’s real busy with BM66 (he replied to my email about BM66 code, which was awesome!) among other things.

#3229 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I’ve heard he might revisit it at some point

0DB9ADEF-E305-46E0-84B5-44642476DDB3 (resized).jpeg0DB9ADEF-E305-46E0-84B5-44642476DDB3 (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#3271 6 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Iron Man has been my longest standing Pinball Machine in my collection, now at about 7 years. Dozens of pinballs have come and gone, but IM will always stay. I love the adrenaline rush, code, call-outs, and everything the machine offers. It's amazing how it still gives me a rush!

Couldn’t agree more, I got Ironman upon release, it was my first game going into my first home and I still love it as much now as I did back then.

When I had to sell off my entire collection back in 2014 due to the worlds dumbest ex, Ironman was the first game I went after to once again start off/reaquire my collection.

Ironman has literally been the foundation of my collection since it’s release. Doubt I will ever sell it.

1 month later
#3301 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I bought a HOU IM original from a local pinhead a few months back. Just looking for the topper in the picture. If you have it and would consider selling it separately, send me a message.

http://www.tilttopper.com/iron-man-1.html

3 months later
#3379 5 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

Does anyone make and sell the EL Wire whips for whiplash?

Checkout www.hookedonpinball.com or www.kimballspinballs.com both do the best IM mods.

2 months later
#3419 5 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I'm in!
I picked up a clean HUO, and added a few mods.
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Love the red apron! Is that one of Sterns transparent red aprons?

#3430 5 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

I find it easy to track what has been lit by the playfield inserts on the left, middle, and right orbits.

Agree completely it’s beyond easy to track what is lit and the Arc Reactor pop caps give the game a premium look, love them!

1 year later
#3579 4 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I added some translucent orange and clear flipper buttons to IMVE.
They go well with the cabinet art.[quoted image][quoted image]

Did white on mine as little arc reactors, plan is to get some custom rails made.

#3582 4 years ago
Quoted from mjs2:

Hey all. Thinking about adding an original run to my collection. Only have room for three pins so I am asking if iron man is deep enough and are the shots diverse enough to stand with WOZ And DP pro for a while?
Recently moved out fish tales - Metallica - TSPP
Many thanks in advance.
Mike

Paul said it perfectly in the post above, but I’ll add that I think Ironman would compliment WOZ & DP perfectly.

Ironman isn’t the deepest game out there but it’s one of the most fun, I still have an original release Ironman I got NIB, don’t think I’ll ever sell it.

#3600 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, he's been tinkering with it for some time. I really hope this means that gets released too.

So he’s already been working on the IM code? I remember hearing he would like to add to the code especially more high score tables but didn’t realise he was already tinkering with it.

#3602 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Just a 'in his spare time' kind of thing. Nothing official, at least so far.

Lymans made some masterpieces “in his spare time”, pretty exciting to hear he’s been messing with Ironmans code. Surprised to hear about another vault run.

#3606 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, Lyman agrees - there were just some small fixes he was planning/doing.

A load of high/mode score boards would be great, Bogey is one of my favourite modes in pinball, having a score board for that mode alone would be fantastic.

I also find having a tonne of high score tables adds a lot of longevity to a game and gives you different goals to aim for, TWD is one of the best for this.

#3614 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I'm honestly not sure what I would change about the code. It's an awesome game the way it is. Isn't there something with Jericho where it doesn't mention a certain mode, or something of that nature?
Edit: Thought of something. I wish you could double-flipper out of watching the movie clips when starting certain character modes. I know Monger wants to know where I think I'm going, I'd rather get going on bashing his face in.

Hi score table for all the modes would be awesome!

And one thing I’ve always felt was missing from Ironman is combos!! The games so fast and nonstop that combos would be perfect!

I remember on the podcast where @sir_tankalot was talking about code and revisiting Ironman that he and Lonnie built Ironmans code in something like 3 months or less, which is impressive, so it’s exciting to see what Lyman might add to the game now given more time.

#3616 4 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I think it was this one, 1h 23m in maybe (can’t current check it’s myself)
https://podtail.com/en/podcast/head2head-pinball/episode-73-inside-the-mind-of-lyman-sheats/

Head2head was the one I was thinking of, pretty sure your on the money Paul.

#3622 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

My wishlist:
Super skill shot(s). Left flipper hold, post down, to ramp would be cool, but short plunge to War Machine would be awesome too.
Make Do or Die Multiball obtainable. Not sure the best way, but at minimum reduce the insane amount of drone hits needed. Am I correct in remembering that drone hits do not count toward this total during multiballs? If so, maybe changing that would be a way to reasonably get there? I'm good with the other requirements being SJPs on each multiball plus the three IM completions. While I owned the game, I had quite a few times where I had everything flashing except the drones, but it took a damn good game to do that. I still want it to be HARD, just not impossible.
Earnable Extra Balls!! Possibly at Jericho completion? Multiball SJPs? Somehow tied to Bogey to make that more attractive to not ignore?
I'd personally nerf DOD hurry-up a little. As it is now, I find it super unbalanced. It seems to me a high score always depends, almost solely, on hitting that hurry-up, especially at 2x. It should be valuable, but not quite that valuable (especially if DOD multiball becomes a viable goal). I would also seriously consider not naming both the hurry-up and the multiball the same thing, though it may be too late to fix that now. It just causes way too much confusion.
Maybe find a way to make sure Jericho isn't a roadblock on the way to DOD multiball. Again, maybe at minimum drone targets should count towards that goal here?
I love the idea of more leaderboards. It's a little thing, but that's always good fun. Same with flipper button attract sounds.
I'd love another mode or two of some sort, but honestly I can't think of what I would do or how to make it not bog the game down from the tight package it is now. I think just making DOD multiball an actual viable goal would really do wonders for the depth of the game.
If at minimum DOD multiball somehow becomes obtainable to mortals, I would seriously consider buying this game back. It is so close to perfection, but really needs that one more layer of things to do for me. All the rest would be some sweet icing on the cake. Fingers crossed!

Agree with everything you listed, but no mention of combos? I’ve always felt it was the one thing missing from Ironman and would be a perfect way to add that extra (one more) layer to the game and things to do aim for.

Plus I can’t think of anyone who doesn’t love a good combo steak and combo score board!

#3632 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

A combo shot would be interesting, but I do worry about it potentially making the game unbalanced. A combo count without making them worth more points would be fun though. I think it would be neat to also have high score tables for the three main multiballs (Whiplash, War Machine, Iron Monger), Bogey, and maybe something like time to beat Jericho as I feel like it's scoring is equal each time (is that correct? I haven't played it nearly as much as I should lately )
For skill shot, I think the best option is to make it so that if you can get it in the right hand lane without changing lanes, it's worth some major point bonus. When Iron Man came out, it was the first game that got a release party, and it was held at GameWorks in Schaumburg, IL - the only release party. I played in the tournament for it and won "B division", but I found myself in the finals soft plunging to try to do this because the left roll over lane was so easy to hit, I figured this *had* to be built in. The skill shot is really the only thing that bothers me because with it being so easy, it seems like more of a punishment for those that don't know the game and who don't get it than anything else, and that's never good.
I'm less of a fan of having a Metallica-esque Super Skill Shot because I feel like Metallica lights too much stuff, and I've had slop shots that score the Super SS and that feels a little cheap. If a longer one is planned, I would rather it is a harder shot that advances something. I'd personally be for it to be only for the middle spinner, and if you hit it you instantly start your first Monger. That to me would be a solid risk / reward for getting the Super SS and would help to make an exciting possible "come back path" for tournament play in particular. But let's not open up every shot to a Super SS.
I play with extra balls off, so while I understand that request completely, I'm good either way there.
Having said all this, if they don't update the code, it's still my favorite game.

I can’t see how combos would unbalance the game. Maybe it’s because I’m not as good a player as you but I’ve never found combos unbalance, ST, TWD, Maiden they are just another reward (combo champ) and layer to the gameplay that gives me something to aim for.

And Ironman needs a proper skill shot and super skill shot, soft plunge to the left orbit spinner would be great and fit the game nicely as you would get a super fast return out the right orbit, starting the game as you mean to go on

A double super skillshot to war machine would also be rewarding as that’s always a super satisfying shot to make, making it off a soft plunge for a nice points reward would be super sweet.

1 month later
#3666 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

He's had BangerJay's on loan for like a year.

Very cool to know he’s had one on loan, thanks for the info Eric.

2 weeks later
#3673 4 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

Like in the photos above

The photos in TheCnyPinGuy post above are the old style stern magnets without the outer metal protector. No decals in those photos just the old smaller exposed magnet cores.

#3677 4 years ago

Any major differences except visual look between the carbon and steel magnet protectors?

#3679 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

carbon wont curl up

I didn’t know that happened on the steel ones I must be lucky as so far it’s not happened on my STLE, might grab carbon ones for Ironman though as there’s a lot more magnet action.

#3683 4 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

My new Ironman came like this....[quoted image]

They put the playfield in the wrong way up?

#3695 4 years ago

Well Lyman you sir are an absolute fuckin legend!!!!! And that is a compliment of the highest regards here!!!

#3698 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Just wish he would have done more with the skill shot. Drones not touched at all of Do or Die multiball is still going to be next to impossible. Other updates are fine.

Knowing Lyman this isn’t it, but just with the added high score tables there’s a tonne more life pumped into Ironman.

Actually on second thoughts it might be worth someone trying the drone targets with the glass off, seems odd he’s adjusted whiplash and Ironman but not drones..

#3703 4 years ago

I like the new skill shot, would be been a little sweeter if it was the orbits and centre shot (spinners) as the focus of the new skill shot, instead of the usual hold the left flipper button and shoot a ramp..

But love the fact we have high score tables for each mode and added speech and lighting effects!

#3704 4 years ago

Anyone else thinking about enabling this one?

I’ll be turning this on, I’m just not a good enough player to get Ironman modes running prior to multiballs/other modes and the sound effects for Ironman modes (repulser blasts) are too cool not to hear as much as possible.

#3707 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I don't know if you've seen any footage of it, but DOD multiball is, well, a 'dud' -- it's got one display screen of text and all the shots are worth big points. Other than the "I did it!" there's nothing good about it, and by making the requirements easier, even the "I did it" wouldn't hold as much water.
I'm guessing it couldn't really be changed without having to go through approvals about assets and display and such, so he just left it alone, and since it's not very cool anyway, making it easier to get to doesn't really make sense.

Would he need approvals if there is unused video/dmd animations already in the code? I notice there’s now added speech on the readme guessing that was already in the code so didn’t need approving again.

But totally agree DoD is lackluster.

#3711 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Any one know where I can purchase the Hooked on pinball bump caps? His web site says sold out.

Great choice they look amazing! As do all of Hooked’s pop cap replacements.

#3724 4 years ago

Typical Joey over at PDI trying to scalp as per usual, his prices are always ridiculous.

I’m sure Rob aka HOOKED would make more Ironman pops if there was enough interest, he’s a great dude support him over PDI trying to scalp people.

#3726 4 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Okay guys, more code is coming.
Please list any changes and additions code wise you would like, and i will pass it along to the coders.
Ive already mentioned the skill shot to right ramp, left ramp, then whiplash shot for a big points.
Thanks and i look forward to your input!

How do you know more is coming? Sorry for my ignorance if everyone else knows who you are

#3738 4 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Because im buddies with a Stern coder.

As far as answers go that’s a good one! Appreciate the information, don’t take my original question the wrong way I was merely curious how you knew, thanks for the response.

#3740 4 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Gotcha, sorry for the confusion. I just wanted code suggestions in case it does happen.

A couple of skillshots would be awesome,
full plunge round to right flipper to right ramp or instead of the same old same old skill shot to a ramp, how about the skill shot to right orbit/spinner for a full loop?
Then maybe if you repeat it the score doubles with each successive repeat/loop.

Short plunge skillshot to war machine

Combos would be great but maybe Lyman feels those would be to similar to
Bogey?

Fleshed out/achievable Do or Die multiball, I wouldn’t mind it being renamed and made into an entirely different mode so it’s more distinguishable from the Do or Die Center shot, video clips would be cool - I always thought do or die multiball would be perfect for the drone chase scene at the end of iron man 2, as it takes all those drone targets to get to the mode why not make it a mode about the drones with footage of them.

There’s not really much else that could be done Ironman is almost a perfect game.

#3742 4 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

What about completing drone, awards a left outlane ball save?

I don’t know about anyone else but I kinda like Ironman having no ball save except for the middle. I’d love some of the stuff in my post above, simply because I never plan on selling Ironman so the more content and modes the better as it’s a keeper.

#3760 4 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

I've got 2 extra balls on my last game... Not a good thing. The game is more easy now, it's the last thing i wish for IM

Just make your settings harder to compensate.

#3812 4 years ago

The Whiplash Super Jackpot looks quite cool.
Can anyone remind me how to get the main Whiplash insert flashing? It’s obviously not the Superjackpot!

Collecting the super should get monger, whiplash and war machine flashing, completing all 3 rounds of Ironman targets gets that flashing at least it used too.

#3840 4 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

I’m getting a nib Iron Man 2014 vault any day now. What cliffy’s do I need to get with this version?

http://www.passionforpinball.com/ironman.htm

All of them!

Edit: evidently non of them!

#3850 4 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Anyone interested in a dmd panel
stainless stell for IM VE?[quoted image]

I would if you can changed the Stark Industries logo so it was symmetrical with the dmd opening.

#3855 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

"Stark Industries" is perfectly centered.

The text is the logo itself looks off due to the larger curved flick on the right hanging past the dmd opening.

More of personal preference thing than the design itself, wouldn’t mind seeing the logo centred, It might look worse or more off, curious to see as I’m pretty interested in this for my original IM.

Would look great next to my ST with its stainless steal dmd panel, very cool!

#3866 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Considering buying an Ironman. Interested to know the differences between the original 2010 machine, the 2014 VE and the new VE. Which one should I buy and why?

Originals where built like tanks! The 3 I know of including mine haven’t had a single issue between them, glass has only been off for cleaning and waxing. Playfields still look fantastic.

First vaults seem to be pretty solid too.

Biggest issue buying a new re-Vault is Sterns current build quality and quality control or lack of, with Ironman I’d buy older an original or first edition vault, if you play it a lot Ironman gets pounded and I just can’t see Sterns new soft playfields holding up too well.

#3868 4 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I bought an original, nib,in 2010. Absolutely no problems. Not even a switch. Built like a tank is correct.

Yeah plus it’s funny how people jumped all over Stern during the dark/lean years for stripped games, but you take Ironman with 3 spinners, 2 magnets, monger mech which is fantastic and fully interactive, a kickback and licensed movie audio and video it’s a premium level game by today’s standards.

#3874 4 years ago

Incoming Ironman topper!

4DBB3184-CA2B-455B-AD73-07E47F762E0F (resized).jpeg4DBB3184-CA2B-455B-AD73-07E47F762E0F (resized).jpeg
#3875 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Incoming Ironman topper![quoted image]

Looking at the instructions of these online, I should be able to make it fully interactive with the game by linking each suit to its equivalent insert, so achieve mark 1, mark 1 suit should light up etc etc, fingers crossed anyway.

#3881 4 years ago

Quick question - where are Whiplashes whips??? I can’t see them.
They’re the newer design magnets.

Looks like no whips, these aren’t the hasrbo figures though, didn’t Stern mold their own versions for the last Vault?

And the newer magnets look massive on the Ironman, couple of playfield pics I’ve seen they do look real big and they also have no whips.

#3893 4 years ago

Can you guys with the lastest vault post some pics of your mark inserts? Not noticed a blue insert on the playfield pics I’ve seen on the newest vault.

Is it actually a blue insert or blue LED underneath? Seems odd Stern would make it a blue insert... that’s just weird!

#3899 4 years ago
Quoted from Thenewguy1337:

Is that a blue insert or blue led? Either way that’s an unusual choice if intentional.

#3905 4 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

If I was anyone that purchased a new Vault from Stern I would be upset. A little false advertising using the same sale flyer from the original Vault run for the new ones. They made the changes to the play field without notifying their customers. Only to find out when you open the box. The insert I could maybe get over. But the magnets look bad. I'm glad I have my 2014 Vault.
Below is a pic of my friends insert. He is trying to get Stern to send him out decals for the magnets.
[quoted image]

I understand why Stern have made the insert blue, to coincide with Lymans plans of making it an award but visually it’s way off!

#3910 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I'm not a huge movie buff, but was there any significance to the Mark III suit? If so, that may make sense, but to just tie it to an Arc Bonus award seems a bit odd.

Mark III was the first none prototype armour, so it’s significant in that regard as his first true “Ironman” armour, which makes Lymans new bonus pretty great and shows he just gets how to integrate a theme.

But still a blue insert is just wacky visually, I always liked the white as I looked at the mark inserts as those suits arc reactors, building up to the mark 6 reactor, which is significant again as it’s the first armour that runs off his new arc reactor, that he designs in order to cure himself from palladium poisoning caused by his version 2 arc used to power armours 2 to 5.

Either the rules/inserts are a major stroke of luck or it’s some amazing little bits of attention to detail from Lyman integrating the code around the theme.

#3920 4 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Which would you rather have?
IMVE 2020 or IMVE 2014?
You decide.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Original or 1st vault, with the original as long as you keep the magnet flush with the playfield and deal with mushrooming of the magnet head early days you won’t ever have any issues with playfield damage.

#3926 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

With the amount of feeling about the colour of the inserts, they must have some significance to the film?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club/page/79#post-5599558

#3946 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

And of course the old code wont boot either, so I cant even play it.
And I sent Stern support an email since they arent taking calls right now.

Might sound like a stupid question but I’m pretty sure we have all done it once or twice. Are you using the correct code so Vault code if you have a vault? Not sure if the original code would work on a vault.

#3959 3 years ago

V 01.86.0 - 28-April-2020
=========================
- Removed ADD-A-BALL from the SHILED award for DO OR DIE MULTIBALL, as
the multiball continuously serves all of the balls from the trough for
the duration of the multiball, so ADD-A-BALL doesn't make sense here.
- Added settings for SHIELD EXTRA BALL and SHIELD SPECIAL; these allow
the user to enable (the default) or disbale these features as desired.
- Fixed a problem with the implementation of the IRONMAN TARGET
DIFFICULTY adjustment. The MEDIUM setting was implemented correctly,
but the EXTRA EASY setting was implemented as EXTRA HARD and the
EASY setting was implemented as HARD. This has been changed to a
new setting, 1ST HARD IRONMAN TARGET SET; the range is 1-10 and the
default is 4, which corresponds to starting the second IRONMAN FAST
SCORING mode, which is the same as the previous implementation for
the MEDIUM setting (most games).
- Reworked the 1ST HARD BOGEY RAMP (SET) adjustment to be more logically
readable; the behavior is the same, but instead of a default value of
'1' (which implies the first ramp set is hard, which it isn't and never
was), the default is now '2' (second set). The range has been changed
from 0-10 to 1-10, as setting the adjustment to 0 (the 0th set) also
doesn't make much sense.
- Implemented the MUSIC ATTENUATION and SPEECH ATTENUATION adjustments;
these were not implemented.
- Fixed a display bug in the WHIPLASH MULTIBALL background display effect
that was causing the number of hits left to light the super jackpot to
be displayed incorrectly.
- Updated default initials for some High Score To Date entries.

So do or die multiball has been tweaked with the shield awards but no one human can achieve the mode.... hopefully this means more code is coming to rearrange do or die multiball and it’s requirements. Here’s hoping!!

#3967 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

For real though, this is a great sign that the path to Do or Die multiball is going to become more obtainable. No doubt in my mind more code is coming soon.

Fingers crossed here!! If Lyman can add some more video clips (sorry @epthegeek) and flesh out the mode as well as the progression to get to it, Ironman would be perfection!

#3971 3 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Will you guys stop trying to make IM easier? Just put elastics in the outlines and problem solved. This is one of the greatest games of all time because it is sooo hard and keeps you coming back for more. Yes, you have to have a perfect game and all the bounces go your way. I made it to do or die multiball once and I have owned it for 10ish years. My high score was 592M and my outlines were in the second easiest position (there are 4 settings). I can’t remember if that is stock because I have had to change them often so my wife and friends can enjoy it. Now that being said, that one game was almost double my next best scores. I play with my orbit post disabled but not sure if it was enabled when I got that score. All default settings in the menu as well.
I never even try to beat that score (gone now with the code update), I just try to beat Jericho which is awesome.
I also only ever made Valinor once but came close a few times. Owned that game for 11 years and it took me 4 years and 4 months to get it.
Anyway, to each there own but I think making it easier will tarnish the lustre. It did for me when Metallica was made easier. Just my 2c.

Big difference between making it easier and making all aspects of the game possible.

Currently I think only 1 person has ever made it to DOD multiball and that was done with no other goal in mind and it was attempted continually until achieved.

I’ve seen multiple people reach valinor, I think I know 3 personally, but none of them have ever got close to DOD multiball.

#3976 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Probably best to get both!

It’s the only answer!

#3980 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Neither one leaves until I'm out of the hobby, then they all go. A deadly, must-have pair....

Gonna tell my kids to bury me with mine

2 weeks later
#4019 3 years ago

Couple of guys previously mentioned they knew more code was coming prior to the last update, anyone know if there’s more in the pipeline? Would love to see DODMB reworked and polished with video assets.

3 weeks later
#4030 3 years ago

Just a little prototype, that I had made by a fellow pinhead. but thought I’d drop this here for feedback.

Thought I would try a new design as I didn’t want the arc reactor speaker grill covers as the game features plenty of arc reference, especially if you have HOOKED arc reactor pop cap upgrade.

And since Tony is now as big as Ironman I thought some speaker grills with both in the design would be fitting.

36C18570-C4EE-4FF7-B772-25D86DC7BAE1 (resized).jpeg36C18570-C4EE-4FF7-B772-25D86DC7BAE1 (resized).jpeg

Edit: plan is to add in some detail on Tony so his signature/trademark beard/goatee and his tie.

1 month later
#4044 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Never use plastic standoffs with decals. They are for painted cabinets only. Cabinets with decals need to use the metal standoffs. That item description on Pinball Life describes this in detail.

Don’t Stern use plastic stand offs on their games which have decalled cabinets? I know the last few Sterns I’ve seen or friends have had all have plastic from factory..

#4054 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

But after 7 wonderful years, Tron went bye bye. I find 7 years is really my limit with games. Some last a bit longer, but at that point they are not really getting played. Everything else does its time here and moves on (hopefully in better condition than it arrived).

Ive had Tron Ironman and Avatar since release still can’t see myself selling them. Had plenty of others come and go though but love the fast paced brutality of these 3.

#4058 3 years ago
Quoted from scruffypinball:

Just joined the club!
Can anyone link where the cores for the non 2020 version can be found? Ive found the coil but not the core.

Pinballlife usually has magnet cores.

3 weeks later
#4101 3 years ago

If you like the arcs go and grab @hookedonpinballs arc reactor pop bumper set.

1 month later
#4123 3 years ago

Asked Stern earlier via Instagram if they have any plans or would consider running art blades for older games they re-run/vault like Ironman. Can’t beat Sterns in house art blades.

1 week later
#4144 3 years ago

Original run fresh out the box, amazing build quality playfield is like hardened glass.

Why we can’t get playfields like this anymore is a real shame.

4EFCD010-340E-44F7-9C09-ACDC5C47CC86 (resized).jpeg4EFCD010-340E-44F7-9C09-ACDC5C47CC86 (resized).jpeg998599E4-3610-4192-A5EE-11647EAD5E1E (resized).jpeg998599E4-3610-4192-A5EE-11647EAD5E1E (resized).jpeg
#4148 3 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

How do you keep finding these old nib games... I saw your post in the Tron thread too

No secret seller or anything like that unfortunately, long story short I sold my entire collection about 8 years ago for family reasons as I was coming out the other side of it all, I brought a few of my favourite Sterns that I had owned before selling up.

Ended up moving to a new home and years of renovations later finally opening them up. I brought Tron LE, Avatar LE, Ironman and Star Trek LE all NIB and they’ve just been sat waiting to be opened, at least the cleatcoats have had plenty of time to cure and harden

1 week later
#4154 3 years ago
Quoted from Pedleboy:

My translight is also signed!
D.

Where did you buy it from? Supposedly there is a story behind 50 or 100 games being signed by Gary and John as a run made for one of their biggest distributors, no idea if it’s true or not.

#4156 3 years ago

For all those that have LED their Ironman what brands did you use? Comet seem to be the best from reviews.

What colour for GI did you go with cool white or sunlight white?

#4158 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I changed my IMVE from the clear top factory GI cool white to Comet twin SMD frosted cool white

Is there much of a difference Rob between the clear and frosted lens? Stern seem to use 2SMD clear on their recent games from as long as I can remember ST/TWD on wards and I’m pretty happy with that look, trying to give my older games a modern lighting look. Curious though how the frosted are compared to clear.

#4166 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I can’t stand being blinded by the clear lens LEDs that are in your field of sight when playing. So annoying

If you have a load of Stern clear 2SMD cool white LEDs I’ll happily take them off your hands, drop me a pm with what you’ve got and a price.

Thanks for all the advice Rob appreciate it all mate thank you.

#4167 3 years ago

Anyone know the led numbers needed for Ironman? My manual has the bulb types but doesn’t seem to list the numbers needed of each bulb.

Currently I’m not at home cause of Covid but would love to get an order in ready for when I’m back to working and living at home.

#4169 3 years ago

Weird my manual does not have that page.

Cheers Paul.

Btw Paul do you own the Vault? I know on the latest code you can switch lamps to incandescent or led, once you switch to led do you loose a lot of the fade effects? I know you often loose those or get ghosting from them but with the option to switch to LEDs I’m assuming stern addressed that, or did they simply remove those lamp effects?

1 week later
#4174 3 years ago

New addition to the hot toys collection but I’m pretty much out of space so this will be displayed on top of my Ironman as a topper and wired up to the pin.

21043E71-73DE-4D14-81EA-CB4CC4154697 (resized).jpeg21043E71-73DE-4D14-81EA-CB4CC4154697 (resized).jpeg
#4179 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinrookie:

Nice! I think Hot toys should team up with Stern to make some nice figures/ topper.

As much as I would love that to happen, I think Hot Toys would blow Sterns BOM out the water!

And 9 times out of 10 Sterns sculpts are good enough for a pin, plus it enables Stern to mass produce them as and when they need.

#4180 3 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

Thought about doing the same, or at least putting that on display near the game. Post pics when you’re done!

Excuse the AIQ it’s on the end of the lineup so easiest to mess with. Will be adding a base to mount them all to securely with small spots in front of each armour to light them up a little so you can see the armours more and I’ll probably drill out the arcs and add chest LEDs so it’s film accurate.

EC1755E6-DFAB-455A-87F9-EEB1407554F0 (resized).jpegEC1755E6-DFAB-455A-87F9-EEB1407554F0 (resized).jpeg

F719F638-5259-4165-B140-90549F00F5FA (resized).jpegF719F638-5259-4165-B140-90549F00F5FA (resized).jpeg
#4182 3 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

I got my IM 10 years ago this month. I am out of space, love my collection and every time I think about selling one to free up space I think about selling IM as it is the pin that I played the most and have had for a decade. But then I go play it and it still gives me a rush. It just has a great overall package of lights, sounds, and difficulty. I still hear quotes that I swear 8 have never heard before. With a subwoofer this game is hard to beat. I know many people consider it a stripped down pin when it comes to toys but whatever it is - this pin has it. I just can’t seem to pull the trigger and sell it.
Simple but fun rules. Such a rush.

+1 here, I have had Ironman since release, I occasionally think about moving on a game or 2 and Ironman and Avatar are the 2 I consider selling but then like you I play them and remember why I’ve had them for nearly a decade.

If you can afford not to sell one and still buy another I would go that route, you can always tombstone and store Ironman in the corner somewhere or lend it to a friend for safe keeping while freeing up space.

When I do consider selling I always think if I sell this game will I be able to get a game as fun for the money I sell this one for? the answer with Ironman (& avatar for me) is always no.

#4184 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

that looks really good!

Thanks, my plan was to have it just lit, but now I’m thinking I might connect each armour to the playfield inserts. Mark 7 would have to be wired up with mark 6 maybe?

#4192 3 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

Ok, that looks sick! Wow!
Loving the idea about tying it each one into an insert too. Good luck, and maybe post a video when you’re done.

Thank you, it does look great and it’s handy having a place to display more hot toys as I’m running out of room haha. I will do a video once I workout what I’m going to do with it, I might have the armour cases lit all the time and just tie the reactors of each armour to the inserts.

Just waiting on my comet order to arrive before I start messing with it.

#4196 3 years ago

Anyone happen to have a stern Ironman coin door decal they would sell?

1 week later
#4204 3 years ago

So finally took my 2nd original run Ironman out the box a few months ago, finally converted it to LEDs yesterday.

Amazing difference, cool white works perfectly with IronmanE2A163F1-A8B5-4676-B339-A60935589F58 (resized).jpegE2A163F1-A8B5-4676-B339-A60935589F58 (resized).jpeg43C975DC-6B48-45C3-911B-3F6A6DB33F73 (resized).jpeg43C975DC-6B48-45C3-911B-3F6A6DB33F73 (resized).jpeg and it now doesn’t look out of place sat next to my more modern games.

#4215 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Hmmm
[quoted image]

I spotted that straight away, try it!

Btw where did you get that instruction card Rob? Those look ace!

1 week later
#4224 3 years ago

Finally installed my LED monger, whiplash and war machine, while I had monger out I instead the sector 16 decal, really adds to the playfield and looks great when the little window starts flashing and lights up.

896642AE-C6F8-455A-AA77-B6371DED5E60 (resized).jpeg896642AE-C6F8-455A-AA77-B6371DED5E60 (resized).jpeg9349C455-1DDF-4AE5-8590-EA5AB81CB997 (resized).jpeg9349C455-1DDF-4AE5-8590-EA5AB81CB997 (resized).jpeg

#4227 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

looks good, I believe that decal is no longer available? interested in one if anyone has one they are not planning to use

Yeah I think flashinstinct was the maker of the decal and retired it, I brought a spare when he announced his last run but shipping it back over to the US at the minute probably wouldn’t make much sense as international shipping is nuts!

2 months later
#4299 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

One side of T-molding done in gold

What colour is your armour powder coated? Looks stunning!!

#4308 3 years ago
Quoted from MWhit:

Does anyone know where I can order an Iron Monger Sector 16 Sticker?

Believe they where made by flashinstinct but pretty sure he discontinued them about a year or so ago, I grabbed a spare at the time. Awesome mod!

1 week later
#4315 3 years ago

Anyone know if there are any hardware differences between an original Ironman and a vault? Looking to drop a fully populated original NOS playfield into a Vault.

1 week later
#4325 3 years ago

Little shout out to Chris aka Mr_Tantrum for these flipper toppers, super cool guy who made sure the designs where exactly what I wanted and the quality is brilliant, highly recommend Chris and his flipper toppers.

FF705D97-1611-4D0A-9714-249CC8C45C89 (resized).jpegFF705D97-1611-4D0A-9714-249CC8C45C89 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#4334 3 years ago

Is the underside of a vault exactly the same as an OG or do the vaults use light boards under the inserts?

1 week later
#4340 3 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Right ramp purchased
If you have a less than perfect left ramp please send me pics/price. You'd probably be surprised what condition i'd buy

I have both left and right ramps, both new but the flaps where a little rusted up out the box so I brought a new pair. Might be pricey to ship over to you though due to the size.

2 months later
#4426 2 years ago

Can you order cabinet decals for Ironman from anywhere?

2 weeks later
#4447 2 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Yes I have lit up up chest/eyes on War machine, Chest/Eyes and independant hnads on Iron man. Chest only on whiplash. Just waiting for some 3mm led strip to arrive to mod the whips. I pulled them apart and removed the factory lighting and added all non ghosting modified leds.
They are all 1/6 scale hot toys models...you need to hunt around for used ones or a sale as they are pretty expensive..but wow they look amazing in game play.[quoted image][quoted image]

Have you modded the start button? I’ve seen a lot of vaults but never one with the new style spike 2 button.

#4451 2 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Yes to start button. I'm using these new ones on all my custom restos now as they are a much nicer finish.
The original one was a bit mangy around the recess edges.

Thanks for the reply, I take it you had to modify the cabinet to fit the Spike2 button?

100% agree they look and feel much better than the older buttons.

4 months later
#4598 2 years ago

Could someone kindly show me the positions of each spinner in Ironman and how they are attached to the playfield/posts.
Thank you

#4613 2 years ago

HOOKED Pop caps are an absolute must!

He makes a bunch for different games and they are all must haves! But the Ironman ones are particularly nice and some of his best

#4639 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

New start button[quoted image]

Yeah what colour is your powder? Stunning!

1 month later
#4660 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Im shopping an Iron Man and the grommets at the end of the ramp are shot. Does anyone know the part number on Pinball Life? I think these are it, just need someone to confirm.
Thanks
https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-rubber-bumper-pluggrommet.html

Those are the ones mate! Just looked in my manual for you to confirm it 100%

#4671 2 years ago

Has to be one of sterns best sellers and longest running games at this point.

Impressive considering everyone shit on it at release and myself and others where called idiots for buying it

2 weeks later
#4697 2 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

Hey Everyone, Good news is that I'm in the club! Yay! Bad news is that I quickly realized that this was the fastest playing Iron Man ever. Turns out someone put in stronger flipper coils. Boooooo. More work for me.
The Whiplash plastic is cracked because of this. Is there anyone that makes just this specific plastic replacement?
Thanks!

Anyone who makes plastic protectors stateside should be able to cut you a new plastic.

3 weeks later
#4730 2 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I made this one myself. It's tied to the Whiplash flasher.
[quoted image]

What did you make the whips out of looks great and a lot thicker than the thin EL wire mods I’ve seen.

#4731 2 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Anyone know where to find the stickers for the magnets?

I’d like to know if anyone in this thread can make playfield decals, would love to add some additional artwork to the playfield around the magnets.

5BE1F547-E9A3-4139-BE11-FCD9D443C937 (resized).jpeg5BE1F547-E9A3-4139-BE11-FCD9D443C937 (resized).jpeg651F1DD3-0AC2-4AE0-A385-AACC09D4EDB5 (resized).jpeg651F1DD3-0AC2-4AE0-A385-AACC09D4EDB5 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#4738 2 years ago

Anyone know the physical differences between original run and the VE?

Now the original runs can choose LED instead of incandescents is there any differences other than the new angled DMD panel and metal backbox on the VE?

3 weeks later
#4756 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

A new IM translite available. PM if interested.
[quoted image]

Bit busy imo, if you could do the original factory translite with that shot of whiplash added and monger somewhere that would be dope!

#4771 2 years ago

Looks great but wish someone had the skill to convert IRONMAN to lcd.

#4773 2 years ago

So after playing Beatles I started to wonder could Ironmans spinners be upgraded to opto spinners? Well let’s find out!

2 weeks later
#4779 2 years ago

So I have owned an Ironman since release and as cool as the whiplash EL wire mods are they are not that bright and easily get filtered out by the flashers especially once you LED your game.

Tried loads of different EL wire types and non of them are that bright, but I found some cool stuff recently, it runs on 3-5v, doesn’t require an inverter so no annoying hum and best of all it’s super bright!

First picture below is taken with all my living room lights on overhead.

52741083-E0D0-4639-9754-8EBE517EBC9D (resized).jpeg52741083-E0D0-4639-9754-8EBE517EBC9D (resized).jpeg

And my 2nd version/design of the new whips I have made for my whiplash, my first version had thicker black straps, went half as thick on this version and it looks a lot better imo, just wanted to share with fellow owners.
05B77381-A61B-40E7-AB81-9D8F5AB05370 (resized).jpeg05B77381-A61B-40E7-AB81-9D8F5AB05370 (resized).jpeg

#4782 2 years ago

Once I have finalised everything I’ll give a run down of what was used and worked, currently on the 2nd design above as I wasn’t quite happy with the 1st set I did with thicker black banding, I also did a version with wrapped black wire but that looked a little messy and was super time consuming.

The extra wire past the small black handles is intentional, that will run down his arms and loop into his back pack just like it does in the film, not much to work with on these 4.75” figures but still trying to go for movie accuracy.

#4784 2 years ago

Anyone selling an vault edition decals? Thanks

2 months later
#4803 1 year ago

Great decal I have one on my Ironman and a spare in the coin box, just in case.

3 weeks later
#4813 1 year ago

Hoping to have my whiplash mod finished off soon, these whips are super bright just fiddly and a pain in the ass to make.

3 weeks later
#4819 1 year ago

Sounds like no more iron man runs will happen now.

6 months later
#4866 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Did anyone ever hear of getting metal wire ramps instead of plastic? Would love to change out those plast7c ramps.

Drop Loganpinball a pm he makes all kinds of metal ramps to replace plastic, if someone made metal ramps for Ironman it’s him.

#4869 1 year ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Sneaky Sale Post.
This is the only post made for this sale 33% OFF on pinside - Lasts only for the weekend. $10 instead of $15
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1054-flashinstinct/00668-iron-monger-decal
[quoted image]

Awesome product, if I didn’t already have a spare I would buy another now. Not many good mods for Ironman but this is one of the best for the game, buy with confidence!

#4871 1 year ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Great looking decal. Would you take a pic with the monger lifted?

6B73884E-8326-46F8-AD58-069FD1B71D42 (resized).jpeg6B73884E-8326-46F8-AD58-069FD1B71D42 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#4879 1 year ago

Exactly what the guys above said about the cut out, however in 12 years of owning Ironman I don’t think I have ever had an issue with a hall not travelling fast enough in this game

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider J85M.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club?tu=J85M and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.