(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,013 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by KJS
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg

There are 5,013 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 101.
#4051 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Did some of the VE games come without the plastic leg standoffs? Or a different leg? As I recall, my decals don’t go to the bolt holes on my VE. And the plastic standoff keeps the leg away from the decal just a bit.

I believe all VE’s came with the plastic standoffs, not sure about the original. And those standoffs definitely keep the leg away from the decals, but the bolt wrinkling I was referring to are the ones elsewhere on the cabinet, like the sides (where the playfield rails mount) and around the coin door. It’s slight and doesn’t bother me, but I know some folks here demand perfection or nothing. Lol.

#4052 3 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

I believe all VE’s came with the plastic standoffs, not sure about the original. And those standoffs definitely keep the leg away from the decals, but the bolt wrinkling I was referring to are the ones elsewhere on the cabinet, like the sides (where the playfield rails mount) and around the coin door. It’s slight and doesn’t bother me, but I know some folks here demand perfection or nothing. Lol.

I never really even look in that detail. I did have my IM at the end of an open line for a while, and the light from the windows would reflect, and I'd say "Damn, that is a well done graphic on the VE".

Quoted from Meegis:

Agreed. And I have both iron Man and Tron side by side in my lineup each with a dedicated sub.

I used to. But after 7 wonderful years, Tron went bye bye. I find 7 years is really my limit with games. Some last a bit longer, but at that point they are not really getting played. I think the only game I'd officially not sell is Getaway. Everything else does its time here and moves on (hopefully in better condition than it arrived).

#4053 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I did have my IM at the end of an open line for a while, and the light from the windows would reflect, and I'd say "Damn, that is a well done graphic on the VE".

Agreed, it really pops when light catches it at the right angle. Love the effect, and unfortunately it cannot be captured properly in pictures. Must be seen in person to truly appreciate it.

#4054 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

But after 7 wonderful years, Tron went bye bye. I find 7 years is really my limit with games. Some last a bit longer, but at that point they are not really getting played. Everything else does its time here and moves on (hopefully in better condition than it arrived).

Ive had Tron Ironman and Avatar since release still can’t see myself selling them. Had plenty of others come and go though but love the fast paced brutality of these 3.

#4055 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Ive had Tron Ironman and Avatar since release still can’t see myself selling them. Had plenty of others come and go though but love the fast paced brutality of these 3.

I love those myself. You like that style of game, try Transformers. It is the same gameplay.

#4056 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I love those myself. You like that style of game, try Transformers. It is the same gameplay.

Not...

#4057 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Trying to change the magnet cores on my game. Any advice on how to keep the core locked down so I can apply torque on the locking nut?

Just joined the club!

Can anyone link where the cores for the non 2020 version can be found? Ive found the coil but not the core.

#4058 3 years ago
Quoted from scruffypinball:

Just joined the club!
Can anyone link where the cores for the non 2020 version can be found? Ive found the coil but not the core.

Pinballlife usually has magnet cores.

#4059 3 years ago

Somebody have actual rubber list for VE?

Also who knows how works super skill shot on last version of game code?

#4060 3 years ago

Just joined the club!

https://www.pinballlife.com/magnet-core-plug.html

#4061 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Welcome to the club!
It isn't just that I love a subwoofer for IM, I think it is almost required. The bass line when the ball in the shooter lane is just lost without it. IM and Tron should be mandatory. Other games can benefit, but those two really need it (Tron just for the start of LightCycle).

Just hooked up the Polk 10 subwoofer , I see what you mean about the bass line , big improvement!
hooked up LOTR to the other sub input, adds a lot to that as well.

Planning on sharing the subwoofer with twd as well , as long as all 3 machines are not on at the same time I can not see any drawback to them sharing the subwoofer .

#4062 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Just hooked up the Polk 10 subwoofer , I see what you mean about the bass line , big improvement!
Planning on sharing the subwoofer with twd as well , as long as all 3 machines are not on at the same time I can not see any drawback to them sharing the subwoofer .

I've run dual connection with both games running before, if you have enough, it shouldn't be too noticeable

#4063 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

i use 1 woofer with 2 games. 1 uses the left input, the other the right. Can never have issues. 3 games in 1 woofer is a risk in my book.

#4064 3 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

i use 1 woofer with 2 games. 1 uses the left input, the other the right. Can never have issues. 3 games in 1 woofer is a risk in my book.

risk to the subwoofer?

#4065 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

risk to the subwoofer?

No, a risk to putting a signal from one game into the speakers of another game and back through to the sound board... even if turned off. The risk is probably low, but i wouldn’t do it either. With the 2 channels in the subwoofer (left and right) there is circuitry in the sub to prevent the signal from one pin “backflowing” for lack of a better term to the other pin. To do three inputs, you would have at least 2 cross wired together for most subs that only have 2 inputs. This all assumes you are taking the signal from the pin speaker and not through a 3rd party board (pinwoofer?). I’m not sure how those do it and maybe can accommodate multiple inputs?

#4066 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

No, a risk to putting a signal from one game into the speakers of another game and back through to the sound board... even if turned off. The risk is probably low, but i wouldn’t do it either. With the 2 channels in the subwoofer (left and right) there is circuitry in the sub to prevent the signal from one pin “backflowing” for lack of a better term to the other pin. To do three inputs, you would have at least 2 cross wired together for most subs that only have 2 inputs. This all assumes you are taking the signal from the pin speaker and not through a 3rd party board (pinwoofer?). I’m not sure how those do it and maybe can accommodate multiple inputs?

ah thanks , I wonder if putting a diode on each speaker wire set would suffice to prevent the "backflow "? otherwise I think I will get a passive speaker selector box for the 2 pins that will share a subwoofer input

#4067 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

ah thanks , I wonder if putting a diode on each speaker wire set would suffice to prevent the "backflow "? otherwise I think I will get a passive speaker selector box for the 2 pins that will share a subwoofer input

Just get a Pinnovators PINsmx and you can safely hook up 4 pins to a single subwoofer. I have 1 and it works great but I only have 3 pins on a single sub. I have 6 pins on 2 subs using that setup. Works great for 5 years now.

#4068 3 years ago

Does anyone have a source for alternate slingshot plastics for this game? Thanks.

#4069 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Does anyone have a source for alternate slingshot plastics for this game? Thanks.

Don’t think I’ve seen this before. Do you have a pic?

#4070 3 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Just get a Pinnovators PINsmx and you can safely hook up 4 pins to a single subwoofer. I have 1 and it works great but I only have 3 pins on a single sub. I have 6 pins on 2 subs using that setup. Works great for 5 years now.

I'm too cheap and just hook them up to the lower speaker. I have ten pins hooked up this way to 3 subs - Sam, Spike, w/b... All good.

#4071 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'm too cheap and just hook them up to the lower speaker. I have ten pins hooked up this way to 3 subs - Sam, Spike, w/b... All good.

Your way works, but with the pinnovators product you can control the bass levels on each game separately. The sound is also cleaner than directly hooking to the speakers.

#4072 3 years ago
Quoted from Thenewguy1337:

Are you able to adjust the iron monger sensitivity? Most of my shots against it are not counting.

Hoping to get some information on adjusting the switches to monger. Any tips? I couldnt find a post.

#4073 3 years ago

Has there every been a better designed game to kick you straight in the nuts for a missed shot?! Brutal

#4074 3 years ago

Hoping to get some information on adjusting the switches to monger. Any tips? I couldnt find a post.

It’s a bit of a pain in my opinion. I ended up just taking the whole Monger assembly out of the game. Come to find out, the bottom of the carrier was bent out a bit and didn’t quite fit right, causing my hits to not register. I don’t think I saved any pictures of it. But really, like anything else, it starts with diagnostics.

Put the game into switch test with the Monger up. Then test very carefully with a ball and directly with your hand. Does the carrier holding the figure move easily, or does it bind up. Check all angles. Sometimes it is mechanical interference, and not just a switch. Be prepared to remove the whole mech, which means have the time to do it before you start. Examine and be careful of any washers under the plastic cover, because it has to be level when you’re done (you don’t want air balls wrecking a do or die hurry up).

With proper diags, you will eventually see why it isn’t registering and fix it.

#4075 3 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Has there every been a better designed game to kick you straight in the nuts for a missed shot?! Brutal

adding to the brutality is other than the ramps there is so much randomness of the ball returning from shots you "make" .

Does any one live or dead catch the shotgun from war machine?

#4076 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It’s a bit of a pain in my opinion. I ended up just taking the whole Monger assembly out of the game. Come to find out, the bottom of the carrier was bent out a bit and didn’t quite fit right, causing my hits to not register. I don’t think I saved any pictures of it. But really, like anything else, it starts with diagnostics.
Put the game into switch test with the Monger up. Then test very carefully with a ball and directly with your hand. Does the carrier holding the figure move easily, or does it bind up. Check all angles. Sometimes it is mechanical interference, and not just a switch. Be prepared to remove the whole mech, which means have the time to do it before you start. Examine and be careful of any washers under the plastic cover, because it has to be level when you’re done (you don’t want air balls wrecking a do or die hurry up).
With proper diags, you will eventually see why it isn’t registering and fix it.

Thank you and newovad for your suggestion. Cleaning the optos and carefully aligning the mech has it working great! Now for the cleaning and rubbers!

#4077 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Does any one live or dead catch the shotgun from war machine?

No chance haha gotta be a dead bounce

#4078 3 years ago

Modded my 2010 IM Monger with an LED. Real easy and looks really polished. It’s tied to GI so always on, but flashes off with Monger hits. When it is off it looks factory.

I’ve read others basic walkthroughs, but I have one more Iron Monger figure and plan to take pictures or a video of actual process. I’m usually a better visual learner, fortunately I only trashed my first Monger. The rest I’m happy with.
86B37B14-C905-49B6-BF42-9D5BD25C3AAA (resized).jpeg86B37B14-C905-49B6-BF42-9D5BD25C3AAA (resized).jpeg78097760-D9E5-4A1A-B98C-001303DF8AB7 (resized).jpeg78097760-D9E5-4A1A-B98C-001303DF8AB7 (resized).jpeg

Added over 4 years ago:

Added video link for anyone that's interested.

Added over 4 years ago:

#4079 3 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Modded my 2010 IM Monger with an LED. Real easy and looks really polished. It’s tied to GI so always on, but flashes off with Monger hits. When it is off it looks factory.
I’ve read others basic walkthroughs, but I have one more Iron Monger figure and plan to take pictures or a video of actual process. I’m usually a better visual learner, fortunately I only trashed my first Monger. The rest I’m happy with.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wait.... How many mongers do you have?
Are you selling?

#4080 3 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Wait.... How many mongers do you have?
Are you selling?

I will have three extra that I will be selling to fund my two. One for me and a good friend.

However, I will be posting a DiY very soon. The Monger was the biggest expense at $30 or so on Ebay. I use one premium frosted bulb, a little 22 gauge wire, clips and epoxy. It's pretty easy

I was going to write instructions to install and then list a Monger. I certainly not getting in the mod business, so when they are gone that's it, but it's easy enough for someone to make their own down the road.

#4081 3 years ago

Those Mongers look awesome spread across the table. For a second I thought they were drones and you installed them like that somehow

#4082 3 years ago

Been working on my IM pro ,
Installed chest light and orange and yellow cannon light on war machine.had cannon leds hooked to war machine flasher but way to brief to appreciate so hooked to gi
put a white led strip under war machine plastic

Put a lead chest light to monger and an orange flasher behind him triggered by hits,very cool

Put red led beneath the targets for whiplash and a star post light on the post behind him,He got a chest light and el wire whips

Chest light in land assault drone and hand and chest light in iron man .went all conceptual and each figures chest light will match its insert color
put blue lights behind ramps will try red or maybe yellow

Made a custom shooter rod and installed coin reject insets. Thanks aurich!

Installed speaker lights

Can anyone twist my arm to get a color dmd?

20200809_211219 (resized).jpg20200809_211219 (resized).jpg20200809_211243 (resized).jpg20200809_211243 (resized).jpg20200809_211235 (resized).jpg20200809_211235 (resized).jpg20200809_211227 (resized).jpg20200809_211227 (resized).jpg20200809_211129 (resized).jpg20200809_211129 (resized).jpg20200809_211322 (resized).jpg20200809_211322 (resized).jpg

#4083 3 years ago

You're foolish if you don't get the LED Color DMD. The LCD version doesn't show the movie clips good enough.

#4084 3 years ago

ok arm twisted, of course it needs the color dmd!

I tried to get your acdc code to load, I had the stern 1.86 and yours on the same stick and I thought it would prompt me for which one to upload but it just defaulted to the stern version. I will erase the stern from the stick and try again .

#4085 3 years ago

I thought you really wanted LCD color DMD for games with movie clips like Iron Man has? The LED version has the big gaps between the colors and doesn't look as good.

#4086 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Been working on my IM pro ,
Installed chest light and orange and yellow cannon light on war machine.had cannon leds hooked to war machine flasher but way to brief to appreciate so hooked to gi
put a white led strip under war machine plastic
Put a lead chest light to monger and an orange flasher behind him triggered by hits,very cool
Put red led beneath the targets for whiplash and a star post light on the post behind him,He got a chest light and el wire whips
Chest light in land assault drone and hand and chest light in iron man .went all conceptual and each figures chest light will match its insert color
put blue lights behind ramps will try red or maybe yellow
Made a custom shooter rod and installed coin reject insets. Thanks aurich!
Installed speaker lights
Can anyone twist my arm to get a color dmd?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice looking machine. You might want to flip your speaker light acrylics though...they are upside down.

#4087 3 years ago

LCD ColorDMD FTW.

#4088 3 years ago

I'm also on the fence about LED or LCD Color DMD. Question, can you use the AC/DC code with color DMD?
D.

#4089 3 years ago
Quoted from Pedleboy:

I'm also on the fence about LED or LCD Color DMD.

No need to be. The LED is horrific, and the LCD is awesome.

I can't give you an exact percentage of the pinball population, but I know quite a few people that simply cannot look at the LED versions. I'm one of them. I will not play a game with the LED version in it. It actually hurts my eyes to look at it, and I'll have a migraine within 10 minutes. A lot of other people see them out of focus due to the offset of the colored light points within each LED in the screen. It might all improve if they started using frosted LEDs in the array, but as they are... garbage.

That is all my personal opinion of them. I have quite a few color DMDs, and exactly 1 LED version that is on a shelf. I keep that one for debugging, but I'd never install it in a game again. I know some people seem to like them, but that is not a universal opinion. If I was looking at a game with one, I'd immediately subtract the cost of the LED ColorDMD, and I'd also subtract the cost of replacing it with a stock DMD.

#4090 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

No need to be. The LED is horrific, and the LCD is awesome.
I can't give you an exact percentage of the pinball population, but I know quite a few people that simply cannot look at the LED versions. I'm one of them. I will not play a game with the LED version in it. It actually hurts my eyes to look at it, and I'll have a migraine within 10 minutes. A lot of other people see them out of focus due to the offset of the colored light points within each LED in the screen. It might all improve if they started using frosted LEDs in the array, but as they are... garbage.
That is all my personal opinion of them. I have quite a few color DMDs, and exactly 1 LED version that is on a shelf. I keep that one for debugging, but I'd never install it in a game again. I know some people seem to like them, but that is not a universal opinion. If I was looking at a game with one, I'd immediately subtract the cost of the LED ColorDMD, and I'd also subtract the cost of replacing it with a stock DMD.

This makes sense. What mode do you run the LCD? I absolutely hate the "smooth" mode. It just looks very fake and wrong.
D.

#4091 3 years ago
Quoted from Pedleboy:

This makes sense. What mode do you run the LCD? I absolutely hate the "smooth" mode. It just looks very fake and wrong.
D.

It depends on the game, but I'm ashamed to admit that on some games I like the SCAN mode. On a new game, I'll try them all for a bit to see the one I like on that particular game. Same with brightness and contrast. That depends on the game colors and what looks best.

I also really like the latest one I got, because they change the screen to a more contrasty screen. I think that one looks even more awesome than my older ones, and it was really thin (not that this mattered in a pinball machine, but it looked cool going in).

#4092 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

I thought you really wanted LCD color DMD for games with movie clips like Iron Man has? The LED version has the big gaps between the colors and doesn't look as good.

I had both in there and the LED looks better. I disagree with you.

#4093 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Quoted from teddyb73:

I had both in there and the LED looks better. I disagree with you.

I had always assumed the games with the video clips would look better with the added options that the LCD allows, but I was told by a person very familiar with the ColorDMD product...that they thought the LED displays looked better with the live action video clip games.

#4094 3 years ago

Thank you. On my BSD the Color Led DMD hands down kicks the LCD ass in every aspect.

#4095 3 years ago

Hey at the end of the day, there is no right or wrong. That's why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream. Everybody likes something different.

#4096 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Just a little prototype, that I had made by a fellow pinhead. but thought I’d drop this here for feedback.
Thought I would try a new design as I didn’t want the arc reactor speaker grill covers as the game features plenty of arc reference, especially if you have hooked arc reactor pop cap upgrade.
And since Tony is now as big as Ironman I thought some speaker grills with both in the design would be fitting.
[quoted image]
Edit: plan is to add in some detail on Tony so his signature/trademark beard/goatee and his tie.

Yeah....getting those kind of "details" to float, detached away from the rest of the design, isn't as easy as some people thing. Actually, I'm pretty sure most people don't think about it at all.

I think your best bet would be cutting it out of red mirrored acrylic....adding Tony's right side in the cut out design part.....and then etch away the back of the mirrored materiel that is showing as white in my mock up. You would leave the tie / goatee "details" so they would block the light from shining through and be seen when backlit.

You light that up from behind, with the grills behind the light source, and it should look pretty good. The eyes, chest and hand holes could be either cut away or etched away so the light would show through them. The downfall would be the etched away Tony portion would look red when the light shines through it. If you wanted it to be whatever color the backlight was....you would have to use silver mirrored acrylic and I'm not to sure the Iron Man part of the design would look that good being silver mirror and not red. The good news would be with it being back lit (in a dark room anyway) you would just see the un-etched area blocking the backlight and probably wouldn't see what color it was for the most part.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

IM (resized).jpgIM (resized).jpgIM edit (resized).jpgIM edit (resized).jpg
#4097 3 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Okay, so the quality of this video probably isn't too great, but should give someone enough information to mod their own monger if they wanted to.

#4098 3 years ago

Went with color dmd hugely better will mess around with all the setting options

Got around to lighting the topper and added a mark 1 arc reactor it has a crazy level of detail for a pinball machine

20200816_210854 (resized).jpg20200816_210854 (resized).jpg

20200816_210915 (resized).jpg20200816_210915 (resized).jpg20200816_210806 (resized).jpg20200816_210806 (resized).jpg20200816_214954 (resized).jpg20200816_214954 (resized).jpg
#4099 3 years ago

That’s awesome. Where did you get that, eBay?

I wanted to buy the one in the glass case that says “Proof that Tony Stark has a Heart” but it requires assembly and I don’t need another project.

#4100 3 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

That’s awesome. Where did you get that, eBay?
I wanted to buy the one in the glass case that says “Proof that Tony Stark has a Heart” but it requires assembly and I don’t need another project.

Yes from ebay,required assembly ,a whole bunch of little pieces but goes together quite nicely.drank a nice beer while putting it together took about an hour

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 26.50
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Mary, FL
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
5,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fallston, MD
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,013 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 101.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club/page/82?hl=monkeyboypaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.