(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,556 posts
  • 320 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by koops
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 773 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

9FC31C20-7765-431A-919F-E573545374DF (resized).jpeg
3133C0CA-19A2-4857-9741-5B1E0BA97A79 (resized).jpeg
5BA4D231-1B21-4FD8-8F3B-4F1E6123C435 (resized).jpeg
DB96BD92-2707-4259-9A70-0046301B91D3 (resized).jpeg
D3EA9E85-FD3B-4220-85B9-A1BB091C59B4 (resized).jpeg
006E6FF0-5AF8-4BBD-BC8F-EA37C9755118 (resized).jpeg
CE05D204-D433-4043-98D0-021F25A8C1DB (resized).jpeg
DC6750F8-DF8A-4FF0-9070-349BFEE136C9 (resized).jpeg
Iron Man Whiplash Target Anti-sway topside (resized).jpg
Iron Man Whiplash Target Anti-sway under playfield (resized).jpg
Anti-sway target bracket (resized).jpg
Irion Man Whiplash target without Anti-sway (resized).jpg
IronManRedMAINSITE (resized).png
FFF5DBB5-F9E8-4C1F-B643-C7410D8F5B53 (resized).jpeg
1A593A75-6C1D-469E-8B1C-CDACE23ECA1A (resized).jpeg
88B94AF1-F88E-45C6-8DAB-2E037F685E57 (resized).jpeg

There are 3556 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 72.
#3501 4 months ago

Rules question: A guy told me that if you hit an orbit/spinner first then hit Monger toy when raised, you get a higher point value for bashing monger.

I can’t seem to confirm any added value. Score seems the same to me with or without orbit shot?

#3502 4 months ago

They explain this rule on one of the Buffalo pinball streams...I’ll try to find it...........Joey

#3503 4 months ago

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/239408009
He explains and shows this at the 10 min mark.............Joey

#3504 4 months ago

Anyone ever have a problem with the ball getting stuck at the end of the right ramp? It’s getting hung up on the edge of the slingshot plastic. It’s like the ramp or the slingshot plastic need to move 2mm the opposite direction and I’m not sure how to pull that off without breaking something.

#3505 4 months ago

The sling shot plastic has play in it. Loosen the nuts and adjust as needed.

1 week later
#3506 4 months ago

Dear IM Owners,

Posted below elsewhere and was made aware of this thread. Hope you can help. Except for the criminally insane DMD everybody's nuts for our new IMVE.

"1. Holy bleep, the DMD is illegible. Nobody can tell what's going on during cut scenes. Is Color DMD a must, or is there something I'm not seeing in settings?
2. I put in a custom message...'Welcome to the [XXX] Arcade!"...but it shows up with a line thru it, with scores from the last game to the left, and it runs off the screen to the right. Crappy pic attached. That can't be right...can it?
3. How can I get Iron Monger to stay down until earned? He pops up at game end and lowers at start. I turned the motor off in setting #18, but that's not it."

I've since learned color is a must-do, but further amateur Qs...which is better, an LCD or LED? What's the best way to acquire the DMD, please? And is it massively better or is the problem really the video driver? Do I toss the old DMD or sell it for a sizable offset to the crazy ~$400 for color?

Inquiring minds. Thanks for any insight!

IMG_2752 (resized).jpg
#3507 4 months ago
Quoted from slcorrado:

Dear IM Owners,
Posted below elsewhere and was made aware of this thread. Hope you can help. Except for the criminally insane DMD everybody's nuts for our new IMVE.
"1. Holy bleep, the DMD is illegible. Nobody can tell what's going on during cut scenes. Is Color DMD a must, or is there something I'm not seeing in settings?
2. I put in a custom message...'Welcome to the [XXX] Arcade!"...but it shows up with a line thru it, with scores from the last game to the left, and it runs off the screen to the right. Crappy pic attached. That can't be right...can it?
3. How can I get Iron Monger to stay down until earned? He pops up at game end and lowers at start. I turned the motor off in setting #18, but that's not it."
I've since learned color is a must-do, but further amateur Qs...which is better, an LCD or LED? What's the best way to acquire the DMD, please? And is it massively better or is the problem really the video driver? Do I toss the old DMD or sell it for a sizable offset to the crazy ~$400 for color?
[quoted image]

1. ColorDMD is a "should" and in your case, probably the best thing to solve your issue. ColorDMD.com I prefer LCD, some like the LED.
2. Never tried a custom message - can't help ya there.
3. Iron Monger is up by design in attract mode and requested to be that way by Gary Stern himself to the programmers. It goes down by design at the start of the game. Theory is that it is shown in attract mode so the playfield doesn't look as bare and its so you know there is something there to strive/shoot for.

#3508 4 months ago
Quoted from slcorrado:

Hit the start button again before he has a chance to start coming up. Rinse, Lather, Repeat

As for the ColorDMD, yes, LCD. Nobody actually likes the color LED because they always look out of focus due to the offsets inside the LEDs between colors.

#3509 4 months ago
Quoted from slcorrado:

Dear IM Owners,
[quoted image]

Try to un-seat and re-seat all DMD cables. Sometimes a DMD issue is as simple as that. If you are leaning towards a ColorDMD, you won't be disappointed. I also have an LCD and love it.

1 week later
#3510 3 months ago

Hi

My Iron Man has very Slight spotting on the ramp flaps .. still very smooth but would like To replace them

Any good sources ? I have checked around but come up short

Any other pins have same size flap ?

Thanks

#3511 3 months ago

Put a color DMD (LCD) in mine and is o.k. The video capture animations don't really do anything justice but still much better than the stock monochrome.
Have a red led DMD in the apron also, really way to do the comparisons.
Your DMD with the line is faulty, probably has a dead (dark) LED that causes the addressing/display error. Not a valuable item with this in mind.
Since they work in B/W games (with an appropriate 5V supply), always good for a spare if you need a display in a hurry.

#3512 3 months ago

Unbelievable. Where does the time go?

I started this Iron Man Club thread 5 years ago! I can't believe that I have had my (second) Iron Man that long. And still not ready to sell!

#3513 3 months ago
Quoted from RobT:

I started this Iron Man Club thread 5 years ago! I can't believe that I have had my (second) Iron Man that long. And still not ready to sell!

I sold mine last year, but wish I still had it. I just can't afford any more than I have right now and might need to even move another game to pay bills.

Oh well!

Rob

#3514 3 months ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I sold mine last year, but wish I still had it. I just can't afford any more than I have right now and might need to even move another game to pay bills.
Oh well!
Rob

Let me know when you're ready to move something. I might dip in

#3515 3 months ago
Quoted from RobT:

A friend of mine really wanted my Vault Edition. I like my friends to be happy... but I like me being happy more. I had to say no.

Iron Man just provides pure pinball satisfaction in a 3 minute long game. I’m still bummed I poo pooed it for so many years calling it a “one ball game”. If Stern hadn’t released the VE I never would have known what a great game it really was.

#3516 3 months ago

Who sells these pop bumper cap kits besides pinballdecals?

29FE3FB2-4C49-450D-9F33-575D757C078B (resized).jpeg
#3517 3 months ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Who sells these pop bumper cap kits besides pinballdecals?[quoted image]

Hooked did the ones on my game. They look similar.

#3518 3 months ago

Hooked on Pinball

After owning at least 35 pins, i'm sure my Iron Man will never leave. In fact, if i'm not interested in pinball anymore, i will keep it, just because it's a perfect game.

1 week later
#3519 3 months ago

Has any one made an ac/dc music version of the rom's?

I don't own an ac/dc so saying 'just go play that' doesn't help me.
I've googled it and id found people talking about it years ago but nothing recent.

#3520 3 months ago

There's a version with "Shoot to Thrill" during War Machine multiball and an outro of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" when the game is over. Not sure if there is a version with more than that, though I would be interested as well. It would be awesome to have a version with more AC/DC music.

#3521 3 months ago
Quoted from maffewl:

There's a version with "Shoot to Thrill" during War Machine
multiball and an outro of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" when the game
is over. Not sure if there is a version with more than that, though
I would be interested as well. It would be awesome to have a
version with more AC/DC music.

Yeah...I have the version you are referring to.

2 weeks later
#3522 83 days ago

Does anyone have any Iron Man free play cards they wouldn't mind sharing?

#3524 83 days ago

I'm looking for ones that came with my old IM that I had. Anyone have these?

IMG_20180812_165547 (resized).jpg
#3525 82 days ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

I'm looking for ones that came with my old IM that I had. Anyone have these?[quoted image]

I have those, got them at Pinball Rebel.

#3526 82 days ago

I could not find any on Pinball Rebel's site.

#3527 82 days ago

Its hard to imagine such a bad ass pin, and there is basically no free play cards for this game.

#3528 82 days ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Its hard to imagine such a bad ass pin, and there is basically no free play cards for this game.

"no free play cards" um ... there was a link below your first question.

There are also these https://zonaarcade.forumcommunity.net/?t=60966441
mikanos has a thread here for his artwork - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restored-and-customized-pinball-artworks-showroom-thread-by-mikonos

#3529 82 days ago

Recently joined the club. Rob Stone did the powder coat for me after I picked it up. My son loves it. I am getting better. Had to reset it back to factory as it was configured for 7 balls and extra easy.

I have gotten a few decent scores, but I clearly need to keep working at it.

FD4BF81E-608F-48CE-A5C4-1FF2FC390C5A (resized).jpegDBDA2B6B-DCF9-4DBC-A2AA-996DFCBFFB86 (resized).jpeg98B049BC-A4FD-4C75-99AC-1A611CAE88AE (resized).jpegD74A976E-D392-447E-ADCD-42234E736AC1 (resized).jpeg210BEC29-68A2-439B-B2CB-7B644FBE24D4 (resized).jpeg60D067BF-D4D9-44C2-997D-AD4AC895564B (resized).jpeg671B812C-7627-4A36-962C-119DC1AAB72E (resized).jpeg513E6C1D-7DD7-4DBF-A75F-3C593DEE2764 (resized).jpeg
#3530 81 days ago

Looks nice! What color powder coating is that?

#3532 80 days ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Looks nice! What color powder coating is that?

Whatever Rob suggested. No clue what it’s called.

1 month later
#3533 47 days ago

I have just installed a new ramp in my Ironman (first run)
As you can see, the hole is blocked by the slingshot plastic
No matter how I maneuver the ramp, I cannot line up the hole and also fasten the ramp

I am obviously missing something simple

Suggestions?

blocked hole (resized).jpg
#3534 47 days ago

My sling plastic is cut away in that area for the ball drop

IMG_9156 (resized).JPG
#3535 47 days ago
IMG_9157 (resized).JPG
#3536 47 days ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

My sling plastic is cut away in that area for the ball drop[quoted image]

thanks
tried the ramp without the plastic, worked right
used my dremel to cut a little bit off

#3537 46 days ago

I would dremmel the plastic. No big deal.

2 weeks later
#3538 26 days ago

Hi,

Long time pinballer, new IM owner.

I purchased a tastefully modded HUO IM last fall and had it delivered to my son's house out east. I visited him this past weekend and was able to see my game in person for the first time and have a few questions.

1. It came with yellow rubber rings which, from what I surmise, are probably Titan rings. One of the slingshot rings is almost split at the post right above the flipper and the other sling ring is wearing. Can someone tell me the ring diameter for the slingshots and I'll order some replacements.

2. It has the nice aftermarket pop caps. Not sure if they are from Hooked on Pinball or from Pinball Decals. Either way, the LED insert base is so tall it jams the lamp socket/wires into the top center of the pop bumper skirt causing the pop skirt to skew. This makes some hits strong and some weak depending on the direction the ball approaches the pop bumper. Has anyone else had this problem and then resolved it and, if so, how did you resolve it. UPDATE - Robert at HoP got back to me already and the solution is one of their slim LED pop inserts that sits 4 or 5mm shorter.

3. The skill shot post does not raise on my game. It works fine in test mode. I went through the settings and could not find anything where this could be turned on or off. Before I reload the code I figured I would ask if there is a setting I'm missing.

Other than these issues the game is great. It had been on my want list for some time and is the only Stern pinball I have ever purchased or have been compelled to purchase. And I'm no stranger to DMD games. I'm glad to have finally gotten one.

#3539 26 days ago

For #3 the up post is a setting. I like mine on, others like it off.

Check the Titan game database for the sling size. I added a full yellow kit to the database a few months ago.

The game is an ass kicking adventure. Enjoy!

#3540 26 days ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Hi,
Long time pinballer, new IM owner.
I purchased a tastefully modded HUO IM last fall and had it delivered to my son's house out east. I visited him this past weekend and was able to see my game in person for the first time and have a few questions.
1. It came with yellow rubber rings which, from what I surmise, are probably Titan rings. One of the slingshot rings is almost split at the post right above the flipper and the other sling ring is wearing. Can someone tell me the ring diameter for the slingshots and I'll order some replacements.
2. It has the nice aftermarket pop caps. Not sure if they are from Hooked on Pinball or from Pinball Decals. Either way, the LED insert base is so tall it jams the lamp socket/wires into the top center of the pop bumper skirt causing the pop skirt to skew. This makes some hits strong and some weak depending on the direction the ball approaches the pop bumper. Has anyone else had this problem and then resolved it and, if so, how did you resolve it. UPDATE - Robert at HoP got back to me already and the solution is one of their slim LED pop inserts that sits 4 or 5mm shorter.
3. The skill shot post does not raise on my game. It works fine in test mode. I went through the settings and could not find anything where this could be turned on or off. Before I reload the code I figured I would ask if there is a setting I'm missing.
Other than these issues the game is great. It had been on my want list for some time and is the only Stern pinball I have ever purchased or have been compelled to purchase. And I'm no stranger to DMD games. I'm glad to have finally gotten one.

Just checked my manual. Slingshots have different sizes. One is 2" & one is 2 1/2". I got mine nib in 2010, it is always fun, won't ever leave.

#3541 26 days ago

Thanks Hippy and Reaper.

I saw Reaper’s list on Titan’s website and it threw me off since there were only singles in the sizes in the 2.5” +/- range. Looking at the photos of the playfield I now see that the slings are different sizes.

As for the setting to disable the skill shot post, do you have a number from the menu? Sorry, my manual isn’t available and it isn’t online.

#3542 26 days ago

Yeah I always make my Titan kits with a spare set of sling and flipper rings so you have a backup.

Make sure you stretch your new sling rings before installing them. I didn't do that with my first set of Titans and they started to split at the bottom post. I stretched the new set out some before installing and have had no further issues. I think the sling shot layout on this game really pushes the rings to the max.

Send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you a PDF of the manual for your records.

#3543 25 days ago
Quoted from MikeO:

As for the setting to disable the skill shot post, do you have a number from the menu? Sorry, my manual isn’t available and it isn’t online.

Feature Adjustment #16
Disable Orbit Up-Post (YES/NO)

88B94AF1-F88E-45C6-8DAB-2E037F685E57 (resized).jpeg
#3544 24 days ago

Thanks Rocky and Razerback for the sling and setting info.

2 weeks later
#3545 10 days ago

Alright....let’s get this wizard mode...!!!...what do I have to do...do each mode till it’s blinking......???.............Joey

1A593A75-6C1D-469E-8B1C-CDACE23ECA1A (resized).jpeg
#3546 10 days ago

1st try...let’s see.... ............Joey

FFF5DBB5-F9E8-4C1F-B643-C7410D8F5B53 (resized).jpeg
#3547 10 days ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Alright....let’s get this wizard mode...!!!...what do I have to do...do each mode till it’s blinking......???.............Joey[quoted image]

There is a YouTube video of Do or Die multiball. It's incredibly difficult. Three sets of Drone targets is brutal. Then add in a Whiplash Super that is not anywhere close to easy.

#3548 10 days ago
Quoted from koops:

"no free play cards" um ... there was a link below your first question.
There are also these https://zonaarcade.forumcommunity.net/?t=60966441
mikanos has a thread here for his artwork - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restored-and-customized-pinball-artworks-showroom-thread-by-mikonos

I like the pinballcards ones, he did a nice job

IronManRedMAINSITE (resized).png

#3549 10 days ago
Quoted from libtech:

I like the pinballcards ones, he did a nice job
[quoted image]

There were a few colorways of these... I think 3 if I'm not mistaken

#3550 8 days ago

I just wanted to share this with the Iron Man Club. My outer whiplash target was taking a beating and sometimes not registering. Years ago I purchased splints for theses targets and several more targets on my other games. The targets on our AC/DC Premium lower playfield are another great example of smashed, mis-aligned targets that often fail to register.

I just noticed these Anti-Sway target brackets on the Pinballlife website, so I picked several up. These do the trick. I removed the splints (which helped and were the best thing going at that time) and installed them. Didn't take a lot of time and these are solid. Highly recommend these for anyone with targets shifting or just wanting to fortify them.

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BK3

Anti-sway target bracket (resized).jpgIrion Man Whiplash target without Anti-sway (resized).jpgIron Man Whiplash Target Anti-sway under playfield (resized).jpgIron Man Whiplash Target Anti-sway topside (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, NY
$ 399.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 3556 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 72.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside