(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,508 posts
  • 314 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 100 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 744 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2752 (resized).jpg
B6024FA0-545B-4A39-B92D-315B307BDE4E (resized).jpeg
41E42D32-1E27-4290-A09F-B8A29CC796C5.jpeg
4D3D5EAB-A0BC-4FC6-AC38-6575A3FB3147.jpeg
65ACE028-551D-425D-B9F5-945B147B16E5.jpeg
FF2A9D48-8CC7-43CF-A751-484B4001D24E.jpeg
thumbnail-1 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail-7 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail-6 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail-4 (resized).jpeg
2222 (resized).jpg
5555 (resized).jpg
1111 (resized).jpeg
4444 (resized).jpg
3333 (resized).jpg
6B4EDA35-0993-4F30-AF5F-D7BB6DF40329 (resized).jpeg

There are 3508 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 71.
#2851 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I'm close to selling mine, but part of me would rather sell my GoT pro instead. I have a SWLE on order so I have to pay for it somehow. GoT pro is such a fugly game to look at even compared to IM. And the gameplay of SW will be a lot like GoT so maybe I keep IMVE. IMVE certainly has an immersive FUN factor that GoT, in spite of it's good rules and gameplay, just doesn't have.
Rob

Owned both....GOT has moved on. I liked it but it's no IM.

#2852 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I'm close to selling mine, but part of me would rather sell my GoT pro instead. I have a SWLE on order so I have to pay for it somehow. GoT pro is such a fugly game to look at even compared to IM. And the gameplay of SW will be a lot like GoT so maybe I keep IMVE. IMVE certainly has an immersive FUN factor that GoT, in spite of it's good rules and gameplay, just doesn't have.
Rob

Keep IM. GOT does not hold the same staying power.

#2853 1 year ago

I think I would only sell IM for MET. I don't feel love for MET when I play at friends houses, but have a feeling when if I get one I will enjoy it.

#2854 1 year ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I think I would only sell IM for MET. I don't feel love for MET when I play at friends houses, but have a feeling when if I get one I will enjoy it.

Have both

Very different games, both a rush to play.

#2855 1 year ago

Buddy of mine has MET. Great game but like you Greg I don't quite feel the love. Would I like to own one...yes. Would I give up IM to do so...no.

#2856 1 year ago

I had MET, gone with no regrets. I don't find this machine to have a great flow, i find it clunky, and boring after awhile.
Too much cheap drains and not fun and adrenaline rush like IM. It was a big deception for me.

#2857 1 year ago

The more I thought about it, the more I really don't want to sell my IMVE. I'll figure something else out instead.

Rob

1 week later
#2858 1 year ago

Ive just Join the Club,
Exelent shape, mirror blades, leds, need some opinions on best modes to add it?

Considering shaker, and playfield protector...

18834738_1344169828971861_1203966886_n (resized).jpg

18835415_1344170078971836_302003520_n (resized).jpg

18928177_1344169262305251_78804931_n (resized).jpg

18902965_1344169648971879_1432204319_n (resized).jpg

18903051_1344169695638541_1958035672_n (resized).jpg

18945206_1344169762305201_1827060053_n (resized).jpg

#2859 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Welcome to the club!

It needs a subwoofer. When I play an IM without one I feel like it's broken because the bass line is almost completely missing. Everything else is nice, but that one is required.

#2860 1 year ago

Flipper fidelity speakers and a shaker.

#2861 1 year ago

shaker for sure - this pin is incomplete without it - takes it from good to great

#2862 1 year ago

Mine came with the backbox flasher and led strip kit. I would have never spent the money myself, but it looks great compared to the stagnant tube back there.

#2863 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Ive just Join the Club,

Those instruction cards look awesome! Any idea where they came from?

#2864 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Ive just Join the Club,

Hard to tell from your pictures, but as a general rule you might want to check the magnet poles for mushrooming. Once they get to a certain point where they are digging into wood it can be a real chore to get them out. You can't just take out the whole assembly from the bottom if the magnet if grabbing the top of the playfield. Stern puts so much locktite on them at the factory that you can't always loosen the poles in the game to take them out through the top.

When I get a used game like IM, I try to take the magnet poles out and file the mushrooming off whether they really need it or not, just to make sure I break the factory locktite and can get them in and out with a reasonable effort in the future. Last thing I want to do is break out a torch or impact wrench to take out a magnet...

#2865 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Those instruction cards look awesome! Any idea where they came from?

Here: http://www.pinballcards.com/Pinball-Cards/Iron-Man-V1

Also a blue version (which I prefer) here: http://www.pinballcards.com/Pinball-Cards/Iron-Man-V2

#2867 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Welcome to the club!
It needs a subwoofer. When I play an IM without one I feel like it's broken because the bass line is almost completely missing. Everything else is nice, but that one is required.

This machine have a great bass line, and also im a bassist, so i can understand you so well...

#2868 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Hard to tell from your pictures, but as a general rule you might want to check the magnet poles for mushrooming. Once they get to a certain point where they are digging into wood it can be a real chore to get them out. You can't just take out the whole assembly from the bottom if the magnet if grabbing the top of the playfield. Stern puts so much locktite on them at the factory that you can't always loosen the poles in the game to take them out through the top.
When I get a used game like IM, I try to take the magnet poles out and file the mushrooming off whether they really need it or not, just to make sure I break the factory locktite and can get them in and out with a reasonable effort in the future. Last thing I want to do is break out a torch or impact wrench to take out a magnet...

That is a good question... magnets... is normal that sometimes i hit the monger, right in the center, and they dont activate the magnet... and others it works like very strong..

i know that if you hit him a bit on the side, nothing happens, but im saying right in the center of it...

#2869 1 year ago

I wish additional Iron Monger jackpots had an increase in value... Like 3 million, 5 million and then 7 million.

Rob

#2870 1 year ago

Shaker for sure. I dont care for playfield protectors, they seem rubbery to me. Keep the playfield waxed.

#2871 1 year ago

Confession time for ya'll:

So I recently sell my nice IMVE to a really great pinsider and take a business trip a few weeks later. I play an original for several hours at a barcade over other newer titles and really miss it.
I mean, wow, worse decision ever -miss it.
No really, it's wasnt the vodka, this thing really kicks my ass as usual, and yes I like that feeling thank you, may I have another please? Kind of miss it.

It's just simply a great Marvel title, aggressive fun, and I failed to fully appreciate it.

So I've now come to my senses and decided this one really is a longer term keeper for family and friends who will come over to visit.

Luckily, the lady of the house says today "ok ya dummy, we have room for one more" (Fathers day) and so the search for IM round 2 begins...

Moral of the story folks?
I was just too quick on the trigger, but luckily with pinball, you really can go back again.

#2872 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

That is a good question... magnets... is normal that sometimes i hit the monger, right in the center, and they dont activate the magnet... and others it works like very strong..
i know that if you hit him a bit on the side, nothing happens, but im saying right in the center of it...

?!? can someone ask me on this one

#2873 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Color DMD, Cliffys

#2874 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

?!? can someone ask me on this one

When Monger is up and active in the game the magnet should always pulse when you hit him to simulate him fighting back.

It why the preferred strategy is to hit him on the side and avoid hits head on, which I totally ignore love hitting him head on and letting the magnet throw the ball

#2875 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Ive just Join the Club,

Get a cliffy ramp protector on the right side of your right ramp asap! It takes a battering and is often broken on a lot of games.

Also cliffys carbon fibre magnet protectors are a great idea and look great on the game.

#2876 1 year ago

Karl DeAngelo recently achieved the elusive Iron Man "Do or Die Multiball" wizard mode on a live stream!

Enjoy the video.

Nice job, Karl!

https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=5668

Note: "Do or Die Multiball" wizard mode is often confused with the more common "Do or Die Hurry-up", but it is MUCH more difficult to achieve, because it only becomes available when you COMPLETE each mission, not just start them.

#2877 1 year ago

I bought IM new in 2010, will never leave. I have seen some different sling plastics in this thread. That is the only thing left. Always looking, has anybody seen any for sale? Thanks.

#2878 1 year ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Karl DeAngelo recently achieved the elusive Iron Man "Do or Die Multiball" wizard mode on a live stream!
Enjoy the video.
» YouTube video
Nice job, Karl!
Note: "Do or Die Multiball" wizard mode is often confused with the more common "Do or Die Hurry-up", but it is MUCH more difficult to achieve, because it only becomes available when you COMPLETE each mission, not just start them.

#2879 1 year ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I bought IM new in 2010, will never leave. I have seen some different sling plastics in this thread. That is the only thing left. Always looking, has anybody seen any for sale? Thanks.

Laseriffic makes a nice set of pink and light blue protective plastics for the slings and inlanes...

https://shop.laseriffic.com/collections/plastic-protectors/products/iron-man-plastic-protector-set

#2880 1 year ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Enjoy the video.
» YouTube video
Nice job, Karl!

Aside from being very difficult to get to, it's not that much of a wizard mode is it? It doesn't even have dots to go with it, just text with a timer. But that's ok, must of us won't get to it anyhow

Rob

#2881 1 year ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Ummmmm. Wow. I started out looking for differences between his game and mine. What was easier, how he could do it. But I was so impressed with his play that those thoughts quickly faded. That was a stunning display of being focused on a goal. Great job Karl!

#2882 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Aside from being very difficult to get to, it's not that much of a wizard mode is it? It doesn't even have dots to go with it, just text with a timer. But that's ok, must of us won't get to it anyhow
Rob

Hah, exactly what I was thinking. "Do or Die Multiball: Shoot Ramps for Big Points" aaaand that's about it. Could have been nice to throw in a Super Jackpot for something in there. Regardless, like you said, not many people gonna see that one.

#2883 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Yeah, it's almost comical what a letdown it is. When I was working on the colorDMD and triggered it by hand to record I was really bummed with what it actually is.

#2884 1 year ago

The value of shots goes up pretty quick to like 7M/shot if you complete three sets of ramps I think? That's for every shot on the game so big points in DoDMB

#2885 1 year ago

Any of you have a playfield protector on iron man?!
I was wondering if magnets work just fine with this...

#2886 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Any of you have a playfield protector on iron man?!
I was wondering if magnets work just fine with this...

Nope never needed one, keep magnet heads in good condition and keep them level with the playfield and you will be good.

I have used cliffys carbon fibre magnet protectors and they seem to work great at protecting the edges of the playfield where the magnet cores come through the playfield.

#2887 1 year ago

I just joined the club last night. I brought home an IMVE with less than 400 total plays. Already ordered a handful of mods including Flipper Fidelity speakers, playfield service rails and a shaker. I played it last night until my arms were sore.

I never really liked IM until I had one a while back to shop out for a friend. After it left here I started missing it more and more until I couldn't take it any more. Now I'm happy again!

#2888 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

I never really liked IM until I had one a while back to shop out for a friend. After it left here I started missing it more and more until I couldn't take it any more. Now I'm happy again!

Ironman is the standard when it comes to just how good a stripped playfield can actually be. There are other games out there with twice the number of toys/mechs than Ironman but if I had to choose there isn't much I would pick instead of Ironman, as a whole package sound, lights, fx, music pressing start is like a shot of adrenaline.

#2889 1 year ago

I have a small collection so eventually things move on just to keep it interesting. Several times now it's crossed my mind to sell IM and get something new....like AS or AFMr or maybe the new SW. Then I play it some more and know that I would eventually regret it (and I don't normally regret moving a game on). IM isn't going anywhere anytime soon...but if my Alien doesn't pan out one of those above games will be joining.

#2890 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Nope never needed one, keep magnet heads in good condition and keep them level with the playfield and you will be good.
I have used cliffys carbon fibre magnet protectors and they seem to work great at protecting the edges of the playfield where the magnet cores come through the playfield.

My flippers are very strong, and my game plays very very fast, sometimes i get a lot of "flying balls", im afraid to damage the playfield...

#2891 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Thanks for that...just ordered a set.

#2892 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Thanks for that...just ordered a set.

No problem dude, I know his metal ones used to curl up a little and lift, so far these carbon ones haven't shown any signs of doing so, plus I think they look better than mylar rings.

#2893 1 year ago

Do you guys ever get balls stuck under the monger? (Insert joke here)
Many times when the monger drops, balls will get stuck under the platform, once the game looks for missing balls, it raises the monger and is released. I am thinking there must be some design that prevents it?

#2894 1 year ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

Many times when the monger drops, balls will get stuck under the platform, once the game looks for missing balls, it raises the monger and is released. I am thinking there must be some design that prevents it?

It rarely happens for me. I think part of it is now that you know about it you need to work on your skill with flipping to avoid the Monger with your shots as it is going down. You don't get anymore points from hitting the Monger and you have to wait until the The Monger is fully down to have a clean center shot for the Jackpot after you defeat him.

So yeah it is a minor design flaw, but at least you do not have to take the glass off to get it right. Try to play better and avoid it like I do.

#2895 1 year ago

Always seems to happen to me. There was this time where i got all 4 stuck Way to kill that Multi for me...hahaha

20170625_095909 (resized).jpg

#2896 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Everyone seems to come around eventually! Pinball Asylum tournaments got me hooked on IM with its fully opened outlanes and steep slope. It was the ultimate challenge, and became the game I looked forward to playing again. After it "disappeared" I had to find my own copy.

#2897 1 year ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

It's a design flaw I think. The switch that determines the lowest home position should be actuated by the sliding monger, not the motorized actuator position.. This way if the balls trap the monger from going all the way down the switch won't close and the Monger will be raised/lowered again. I have wondered if the switch could be relocated to work off the monger...

Rob

#2898 1 year ago

And what about something like this to alternative side arts...

19489473_1364232603632250_1248578620_n (resized).png

#2899 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Head-scratcher why that wasn't finished off with the IMVE code work.

#2900 1 year ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Head-scratcher why that wasn't finished off with the IMVE code work.

Add it to the list of things that don't seem finished on Stern games.. It's a very long list..

Rob

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
4,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, DC
$ 50.00
Machine - For Sale
Niceville, FL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 18.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 3508 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 71.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside