(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,509 posts
  • 314 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by maffewl
  • Topic is favorited by 100 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 744 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2752 (resized).jpg
B6024FA0-545B-4A39-B92D-315B307BDE4E (resized).jpeg
41E42D32-1E27-4290-A09F-B8A29CC796C5.jpeg
4D3D5EAB-A0BC-4FC6-AC38-6575A3FB3147.jpeg
65ACE028-551D-425D-B9F5-945B147B16E5.jpeg
FF2A9D48-8CC7-43CF-A751-484B4001D24E.jpeg
thumbnail-1 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail-7 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail-6 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail-4 (resized).jpeg
2222 (resized).jpg
5555 (resized).jpg
1111 (resized).jpeg
4444 (resized).jpg
3333 (resized).jpg
6B4EDA35-0993-4F30-AF5F-D7BB6DF40329 (resized).jpeg

There are 3509 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 71.
#2401 2 years ago

Quoted from daddyxxx:

Need One more rating for Imve....

I rated the game 2.936 and here is my review - "I am not a fan of IM, but liked the movies a lot except the third one which was just stupid! So the third movie ruins the whole game for me, but I watched a couple of videos online so here is my review. Playfield is bare, except then that big thing that comes up from the playfield. I mean like - what is that thing? It scares the crap out of me! Once it comes up it really blocks the up the middle shot. Like you will never hit the up the middle shot if with that thing there! Never! IM has magnets - whoopty do! Game is fast - whoopty do! I like slow games, like checkers. Game is shallow and I like long playing games with deep rules, but I am not good enough of a player to get anywhere on those games. I did not start Jericho yet though, but I can't play exciting games because of the medication that I am on. Drones block all my shots and those are everywhere. Hate those things! Definitely not Bally / Williams game, which I jerk off to because I love them so much, but if this same IM came out in 1994 with either B/W sticker on it then it would be the greatest game of all time! So yes if it came out in 1994 I would rub one out to it on a regular basis for sure, but not this Stern! No way! This pin makes me wish 1992 would come back again. My love life was better back then. I hate when new things come out that are better than what was in the past, like the net thing and all this I this and I that stuff! I just can't let go, so I rate new games shitty. BW will always be in the top 5! Stupid LOTR! Oh and IM is soooooooo overrated! FU IM owners!"

I am being to honest?

#2402 2 years ago

Either way....I'm looking to join the club.

#2403 2 years ago

Just joined the club this week after picking up a very minty IMVE from a fellow Pinsider.

Beyond the game being freaking awesome, I did want to give a huge thank you to the dude I got the game from. It was definitely as described and he even met me along the way to help cut down on the distance. He also didn't murder me, which I know my wife and kids appreciate. Can't wait to dig into this game; DoD MB here I come

20160802_231300_(resized).jpg

#2404 2 years ago

Congrats - I have LOTR, like you have, and IM right next to each other. Like black and white with how they play, but I love them both.

#2405 2 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

Just joined the club this week after picking up a very minty IMVE from a fellow Pinsider.
Beyond the game being freaking awesome, I did want to give a huge thank you to the dude I got the game from. It was definitely as described and he even met me along the way to help cut down on the distance. He also didn't murder me, which I know my wife and kids appreciate. Can't wait to dig into this game; DoD MB here I come

Welcome to the club, I am an IM owner since ~2010 and still get a charge out of playing this game! Still my number 1 or 2 go to game (#1 for short games for sure!).

Anyways, that is usually my quote regarding a pinball or even craigslist trip. Even if I don't get the thing I want, at the end of the day if you weren't murdered and stuffed in a storage locker, it could have gone worse right?

To all the people I have randomly met due to internet dealings, thank you as well for not murdering me (yet?)

#2406 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Congrats - I have LOTR, like you have, and IM right next to each other. Like black and white with how they play, but I love them both.

I agree. They are a great pair!

IMG_20160806_210909226_(resized).jpg

#2407 2 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I agree. They are a great pair!

Me too!

20160806_215431_(resized).jpg

#2408 2 years ago

Man, wrong thread but I love those LOTR speaker inserts! Where can I get some?

P.S. Get yourself a gallo gold theater gel sheet for your LOTR backbox light. You are welcome...

#2409 2 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

Congrats and welcome to the club!!!....be prepared for very quick, precise beat downs in record time like no other machine....but when you do get a great ball or two....major rush!!!....

#2410 2 years ago

So it looks like Iron Man Vault is the greatest pin of all time! LOL!

top100_(resized).jpg

#2412 2 years ago

Yea that's about right

#2413 2 years ago

Lookout the B/W guys will come and destroy IM with low ratings. It will not even be in the top 100 by next week. People who own Stargate will destroy it also. The Stargate folks all hate IM for some reason. I sold my SG a while ago.

#2414 2 years ago

Lookout the B/W guys will come and destroy IM with low ratings. It will not even be in the top 100 by next week. People who own Stargate will destroy it also. The Stargate folks all hate IM for some reason. I sold my SG a while ago.

Stargate lasted 3 months for me....I think that was a record.

#2415 2 years ago

I've said for years Pinside rankings are completely bogus.

This may have changed my mind! LOL

#2416 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Stargate lasted 3 months for me....I think that was a record.

We had a Stargate at the arcade I help run...never did it for me.

#2417 2 years ago

You have this Stargate guy! It's one of my keepers. To each their own, lol.

It's just a really polarizing game, I guess.

I do agree on the B/W guys though. They will knock it down a peg or twenty for sure.

#2418 2 years ago

I hit Do or Die today for the first time for over 32mil. Sounds mundane, but what a feeling of accomplishment. As soon as I qualified it, the ball came down, I managed to cradle it, saw that the 35min was counting down quickly, took a deep breath, then BAM - hit it. Now I know what all the talk was about for that. Was looking for what qualified the Do or Die multi-ball after that ...

#2419 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I hit Do or Die today for the first time for over 32mil. Sounds mundane, but what a feeling of accomplishment. As soon as I qualified it, the ball came down, I managed to cradle it, saw that the 35min was counting down quickly, took a deep breath, then BAM - hit it. Now I know what all the talk was about for that. Was looking for what qualified the Do or Die multi-ball after that ...

Congrats! It is better when you flip and miss a couple of times and the ball flies around before you settle and hit it. Nerves!

Complete Jericho next. That took me a long time. My IM plays tougher than others for some reason.

#2420 2 years ago

Complete Jericho next. That took me a long time. My IM plays tougher than others for some reason.

I'll have to read up on that. I qualify Jericho quite often, but never really knew what I was after in that mode. Thought you just hit as much stuff as possible and keep those explosions popping until it times out. I keep getting a 3mil award for something, not sure what that is, but I'll accept that.

#2421 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I'll have to read up on that. I qualify Jericho quite often, but never really knew what I was after in that mode. Thought you just hit as much stuff as possible and keep those explosions popping until it times out. I keep getting a 3mil award for something, not sure what that is, but I'll accept that.

Easy to learn rules of Jericho - hard to do. You hit every shot all over again and each ramp 4 times and Whiplash 5 more times. Once you do all the shoots then hit the shot up the middle for 50 million! You have to do this on one ball or you can be whimpy and go into settings and set ball carryover in Jericho, so you can continue to complete Jericho if you have a ball left.

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/ironman/index5b.html

Another intersting thing to do in settings is to disable the top center post. This gives you a real skill shot and makes multiball extra fast and furious! Try it and set it back if you dont like it.

#2422 2 years ago

DOD is when you light up all the marks on one ball and then hit the countdown shot ip the middle. Does not have to be on ball one. You can light nothing on the first 2 balls and then get DOD on the 3rd.

This is incorrect. Do or Die is when you light all the character inserts on one ball (whiplash, drones, etc.). Jericho is when you light all the marks. All the marks do NOT have to be on one ball. They will carry over.

Marks can be collected from lighting characters, starting bogey scoring (ramp shots), or from lighting all of the inlane roll overs.

#2423 2 years ago

Lookout the B/W guys will come and destroy IM with low ratings. It will not even be in the top 100 by next week.

I can pretty much guarantee this. Will be interesting to see where it settles. Not like it matters though...

#2424 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I can pretty much guarantee this. Will be interesting to see where it settles. Not like it matters though...

It should settle right where IM is now.

#2425 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It should settle right where IM is now.

I personally thinks that's way too low...... 33?

#2426 2 years ago

IMVE shouldn't have a separate rating, I'm kind of over the ratings on here. I try to keep mine up to date but lost interest, it's just a pumping/dumping system for fanboys/haters mostly.

#2427 2 years ago

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the kind words. I've been reading through this massive thread for the past few days, so I haven't responded to the well wishes yet. After reading all these 2500 posts, my only question is, who can hook me up with a custom Pinbrowser soundtrack?

#2428 2 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Man, wrong thread but I love those LOTR speaker inserts! Where can I get some?
P.S. Get yourself a gallo gold theater gel sheet for your LOTR backbox light. You are welcome...

I will claim the LOTR acrylic designs that are mounted in the speaker holes. I sell them at www.speakerlightkits.com.

That being said, I do not claim the light kits in the picture in the post above as the ones I sell on my website look much better IMO.

LOTR_resize_(resized).jpg

#2429 2 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I will claim the LOTR acrylic designs that are mounted in the speaker holes. I sell them at http://www.speakerlightkits.com.
That being said, I do not claim the light kits in the picture in the post above as the ones I sell on my website look much better IMO.

+1 I absolutely LOVE your speaker light kits. They look awesome!!! Big bang for the buck here.

#2430 2 years ago

So I went out of town after picking up my IM and just got back today. Now that I made it through this thread, I've got a pretty good grasp of the rules.

Long story short, qualified for DoD for the first time and I hit the shot for 23M. I was nervous as f*ck just trying to finish off Monger and qualify for DoD. Put up a new GC on the game with 145M and I can't wait to go back for more. Settings are pretty much factory I think (no set extra ball awards, code has DoD as 35M, etc). Outlanes are second from the bottom, and I think that is how the VE shipped? I guess I may have to change them

20160813_195401_(resized).jpg

#2431 2 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

So I went out of town after picking up my IM and just got back today. Now that I made it through this thread, I've got a pretty good grasp of the rules.
Long story short, qualified for DoD for the first time and I hit the shot for 23M. I was nervous as f*ck just trying to finish off Monger and qualify for DoD. Put up a new GC on the game with 145M and I can't wait to go back for more. Settings are pretty much factory I think (no set extra ball awards, code has DoD as 35M, etc). Outlanes are second from the bottom, and I think that is how the VE shipped? I guess I may have to change them

Yeah, VE shipped with the weak outlane settings. OG shipped like a man's game. Outlanes all the way up.

#2432 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yeah, VE shipped with the weak outlane settings. OG shipped like a man's game. Outlanes all the way up.

I remember when my Granddad sat me down, gave me a Werthers original candy and explainded to me how his Original IM open outlanes made it a real "Man's game" and my IMVE was just childish flibbity foo pin for having the posts sent from the factory in middle.

I miss those chats.

#2433 2 years ago

Well IM VE had a good run, but it is now officially a one hit wonder tumbling from the top spot last week on the Pinside top 100 to number 81 this week.

It peaked too high too early! Why don't other's like what we like?! Why?

#2434 2 years ago

Because too many old farts have too many old William's games and they don't want their collection going down in value when new games come out so they want to keep the classics ranked high... Or maybe they just don't like IM kicking their butts and like the other games better.

#2435 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Because too many old farts have too many old William's games and they don't want their collection going down in value when new games come out so they want to keep the classics ranked high... Or maybe they just don't like IM kicking their butts and like the other games better.

100%

#2436 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Their old eyes and reflexes are to slow for IM..

#2437 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

As someone previously stated, if you hate Iron Man you either have bad taste or suck at pinball.

#2438 2 years ago

Back to focusing on IM, which bumper caps do you guys like best? I dislike the generic look of the stock ones.

#2439 2 years ago

I have these on my game, I sanded down the clear even more than what was done to try and diffuse the light. http://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p33/Iron_Man_Mod_-_Pop_Bumper_Cap_Kit.html

#2440 2 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

I have these on my game, I sanded down the clear even more than what was done to try and diffuse the light. http://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p33/Iron_Man_Mod_-_Pop_Bumper_Cap_Kit.html

I saw these on an Iron Man in person recently. They look awesome.

#2441 2 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Those are what I have too, but I left blue single LED bulbs in them, rather than the white OMG MY EYES plates that they shipped with. I put the crazy bright things in metallica instead.

#2442 2 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Those are the ones I have too. They look a lot better than the original caps. IMO

#2443 2 years ago

I checked them out and ordered a set. Thanks guys.

#2444 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Those are the ones I have too. They look a lot better than the original caps. IMO

Ditto....left the deadly white in w blue frosted diffusers....awesome look!!!

#2445 2 years ago

External sub installed. Hell f*cking yeah.

20160819_222606_(resized).jpg

#2446 2 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

External sub installed. Hell f*cking yeah.

The sub is awesome with IM. Wise decision.

#2447 2 years ago

Has anyone used the Pinovators sub mixer (PINsmx) to put 4 pins on one sub? Good, bad ... pros/cons? I'm on the fence on if I want to take that approach.

#2448 2 years ago

IMVE inbound from Stark Industries.

In the meantime, I'm just a sad adrenaline junkie going through withdrawal.

#2449 2 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

I have that set in mine too. I love the look of them.

And the sub is required for IM. The whole bass line gets lost with just stock speakers.

#2450 2 years ago

Quick questions for you fellow adrenaline junkies, as I await my upcoming NIB shipment from Stark Industries:

1. Does anyone have a digital copy of a decent color manual, one that isn't poorly scanned and missing reams of pages and schematics? (I'm looking at you, Stern website gatekeeper! ) If not, does the game come with a decent paper manual, or would you recommend buying one from Marcos or another aftermarket vendor?

2. On IMVE, is the playfield supported by simple support bolts/pegs, or proper support slide brackets?

3. On IMVE, what brand of LEDs (e.g., Comet, Cointaker) and type (e.g., non-ghosting, ghosting, 1 SMD, 2 SMD) were used by Stern?

4. How well does the LED OCD mod work on IMVE? (I've had an awesome experience with this mod on my LOTR.)

5. For those who have Color DMDs, what setting do you use (e.g., dots, dotsXL, scan)?

6. Are there any hot, super-secret, killer mods that aren't already listed on Grinder's list of "required mods" about half-way through this thread?

7. Has anyone EVER reached DoDMB? If so, is there any video evidence? (I'd love to watch it!)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Bucyrus, KS
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Morgantown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.50
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 50.00
4,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, DC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
There are 3509 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 71.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside