(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,537 posts
  • 319 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by Rondogg
  • Topic is favorited by 104 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 757 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_9157 (resized).JPG
IMG_9156 (resized).JPG
blocked hole (resized).jpg
513E6C1D-7DD7-4DBF-A75F-3C593DEE2764 (resized).jpeg
671B812C-7627-4A36-962C-119DC1AAB72E (resized).jpeg
60D067BF-D4D9-44C2-997D-AD4AC895564B (resized).jpeg
210BEC29-68A2-439B-B2CB-7B644FBE24D4 (resized).jpeg
FD4BF81E-608F-48CE-A5C4-1FF2FC390C5A (resized).jpeg
DBDA2B6B-DCF9-4DBC-A2AA-996DFCBFFB86 (resized).jpeg
D74A976E-D392-447E-ADCD-42234E736AC1 (resized).jpeg
98B049BC-A4FD-4C75-99AC-1A611CAE88AE (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180812_165547 (resized).jpg
29FE3FB2-4C49-450D-9F33-575D757C078B (resized).jpeg
IMG_2752 (resized).jpg
B6024FA0-545B-4A39-B92D-315B307BDE4E (resized).jpeg
41E42D32-1E27-4290-A09F-B8A29CC796C5.jpeg

There are 3537 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 71.
#2151 3 years ago

Thanks Astropin I completely forgot Stern even produced the iron man classic

This is the pin in question not sure if seller is a Pinside member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281982469107

Shame Stern don't appear to be making any more vault editions now I'm in a position to rebuild my lineup.

#2152 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Thanks Astropin I completely forgot Stern even produced the iron man classic
This is the pin in question not sure if seller is a Pinside member
https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281982469107
Shame Stern don't appear to be making any more vault editions now I'm in a position to rebuild my lineup.

That's a regular IM original.....nothing special about it (except that it's been autographed by some unknown person.....which I actually doubt but even if it was that really doesn't raise the value.....and this one is overpriced). The "A.S." on the box means exactly squat.

#2153 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Hey guys, I asked for them so Matt from Back Alley Creations and Joe from Laseriffic hooked us up.
I felt like the sling plastics with Nick Fury and the Black Widow were odd choices considering neither are featured in any way in the actual game. Yes both are characters in the second movie but that's about it.
I wondered how some actual artwork on the slings would look.
Take a look and give some feedback:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Those sling plastics look good, but the left one could never go on mine becasue of how hot Black Widow is.

#2154 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Those sling plastics look good, but the left one could never go on mine becasue of how hot Black Widow is.

Haha she's on the backbox too. I just don't get why they used their images but their voices are completely missing from the game. Same goes for both War Machine actors. Licensing is weird

I love the left sling image he made. It reminds me of the classic Iron Man armor of the late 80s and 90s that I grew up on.

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png

#2155 3 years ago

I am more of a 60's IM guy from when before Inwas born.

image_(resized).jpeg

#2156 3 years ago

Either way IM, the character and Pin, kicks so much ass! Love it.

#2157 3 years ago

I like the new right side sling plastic, the left one isn't grabbing my attention. Thought maybe the right one could be copied to the left side, but in a different color. Blue on left, red on right. The Iron Man face doesn't seem to let much light through. But that is just my opinion, usually I am the odd ball.

#2158 3 years ago

There is some light diffusion differences between the original and these new ones.

I like the two different images. Maybe Joe can chime in about the new plastics.

#2159 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Haha she's on the backbox too. I just don't get why they used their images but their voices are completely missing from the game.

I think just for fun, I'll use PinballBrowser and make a ROM where Black Widow does ALL of the random callouts.

#2160 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Hello. My name is Ryan. I'm a mod addict.
It's so beautiful!!!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Nice headphone kit

#2161 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think just for fun, I'll use PinballBrowser and make a ROM where Black Widow does ALL of the random callouts.

Haha well please share

#2162 3 years ago

I got the service rails installed.

What a complete pain in the ass.

Why Stern, why????

#2163 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Why Stern, why????

That would be a result of a VE (value engineering/ cheapening) decision

#2164 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Why Stern, why????

Oh they weren't that bad. Doing the interactive ramp lights was way worse. Installing new armor is way more time consuming.

And the IM Pro also came with pegs and no rails

#2165 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Oh they weren't that bad. Doing the interactive ramp lights was way worse. Installing new armor is way more time consuming.

I'm not fully recovered yet from my torn rotator cuff surgery.

#2166 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

My complaint w the pegs isn't the ease of changing them to rails (pretty easy), but rather the limited access with pretty much 1 service position (without lifting all the way up)...thankfully, mine is newish, so not many rollover switch tests to do (yet).

Still love the machine though.......(except location of orbit spinners....already drawn the "fix", but too lazy to implement yet)...

#2167 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I'm not fully recovered yet from my torn rotator cuff surgery.

Oh I didn't know bud sorry. Hope you recover soon

Quoted from MK6PIN:

My complaint w the pegs isn't the ease of changing them to rails (pretty easy), but rather the limited access with pretty much 1 service position (without lifting all the way up)...thankfully, mine is newish, so not many rollover switch tests to do (yet).
Still love the machine though.......(except location of orbit spinners....already drawn the "fix", but too lazy to implement yet)...

I'm interested in your spinners relocation idea

#2168 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I'm interested in your spinners relocation idea

Will do.....Ill post some pics when I get the brackets made.....I don't like them hanging out in the PF area ( all my other machines have them nestled safely inside the entrance to the orbit or ramps...) ....the right side will be easy, left a little harder...will clean up the look, and completely eliminate the outer edge of the spinner from taking hits.....

#2169 3 years ago

Not normally a fan of colors for GI, but I've spent the last six months trying different combinations to find the the right balance after seeing some really awesome looking examples here. Tonight I think I'm finally happy. Feels good!

image_(resized).jpeg

#2170 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Not normally a fan of colors for GI, but I've spent the last six months trying different combinations to find the the right balance after seeing some really awesome looking examples here. Tonight I think I'm finally happy. Feels good!

image_(resized).jpeg

Hard to find those bright colors that are tastefully done, but you sir pulled it off! Looks good!

#2171 3 years ago

Cheers

I know it's not for everyone and I'm probably one colored bulb away from clown vomit, but it feels really good to play now so I can stop messing with it. In person the blue doesn't blow out the plastics, it actually makes the circuit artwork glow. IM and Tron always just seemed really immersive with neon looking lighting. Now I just need to sell a kidney to get that Tron!

1 week later
#2172 3 years ago

Have an NOS Iron Man plastic set that I'd like to sell. Bought it to replace the large War Machine plastic (which was broken on the game that I bought)...it is installed, so that particular plastic isn't included. All other other plastics are still in paper in original bag.

$150 shipped in US 48.

PM if interested.

#2173 3 years ago
Quoted from ilovegames:

Also, has anyone else used these acrylic inserts?
http://speakerlightkits.com/Acrylic-Designs.html
I am interested in the Iron Man figure one but am unsure how it would look. If anyone has tried it I would love to see a picture of them!
Thanks

This seems like a good place to put this post that I have been meaning to do for some time. It concerns the different ways to mount acrylic designs with a Speaker Light Kit behind it.

What looks best varies from each design and what style they are. Some look good with the grill directly behind the design, some look cool hidden behind the grill (and only appear when they are lit from behind). The acrylic designs that have etched details in them (ex: like the Iron Man figure) generally look much better if you mount the grill away from the acrylic design. The more etched area or details in the designs....the more important it is to mount them properly (ex: The LotR design is not as important as the Family Guy design since it has much less area etched out of it). Here is an example of different mounting orders with one of these detail etched designs.

MOUNTING ORDER
Top pic: acrylic design, light frame, grill, speaker
2nd pic down: acrylic design, nuts installed for spacers, grill, light plate, speaker
3rd pic: acrylic design, grill, light plate, speaker
Bottom pic: grill, acrylic design, light plate, speaker

I think the top method is hands down the best looking. You can see more detail, it is lit better, you do not have the grill between the acrylic design and the light source so you are not projecting the grill holes onto the design. Plus in the back of the lit area the grill is lit instead of the speaker. This gives it a more uniform and less cluttered look back there.

If you look between the 2nd and 3rd pic you can see that even just leaving a little bit of space (with some nuts for spacers) between the acrylic design and the grill helps a bit with showing more of the designs detail and diluting the dots from the grill holes. If you are a person that doesn't want the area around the design to be open (as it would be with the top mounting method)....this is a helpful alternative.

Mounting this type of design behind the grill like the bottom picture isn't really advised. You lose a lot of detail. That mounting method is better suited for black acrylic designs or ones that are single colored with no details etched in them.

I hope this info helps to make your Speaker Light Kits look even better.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

Stacked.jpg

#2174 3 years ago

Last night I decided to take a break from playing the Hobbit to play IM a bit. What first started as a short stream turned out into a 2.5 hour marathon! I just wanted to get to Jericho and it took FOREVER to get there once. I appreciate IM more when I have sessions like this, which by the way this is the longest I have ever played a single game in my entire collecting hobby.

The first 20 minutes my audio was messed up, head to the 21:50 mark when the audio starts.

Thank you to Owlnonymous to bringing people onto my stream. I probably would have given up after the first hour if I didn't have people watching. I simply couldn't give up

1 week later
#2175 3 years ago

Did I miss something? Pinside has a new IMVE as a new game to rank, rate and what have you? I don't know if this is needed?

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/iron-man-ve

#2176 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I apologize to the entire club. It is only temporary. I just needed the space for a couple months while I'm working on some winter projects. It isn't sold, just wrapped up for a bit.
image_(resized).jpg

The bitch be back on legs! I played it on location yesterday and just needed to set it back up. Did some moving around of games, and it is right back where it belongs. I think I left it wrapped up too long because it felt brand new to me. Totally kicking my ass, just like it used to. Welcome back IM!

image_(resized).jpg

#2177 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The bitch be back on legs! I played it on location yesterday and just needed to set it back up. Did some moving around of games, and it is right back where it belongs. I think I left it wrapped up too long because it felt brand new to me. Totally kicking my ass, just like it used to. Welcome back IM!
image_(resized).jpg

Nice!!!....I'm afraid to put mine next to my TRON .....afraid they wouldn't get along....

#2178 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Nice!!!....I'm afraid to put mine next to my TRON .....afraid they wouldn't get along....

LOTR is on the other side of Tron to keep the peace

#2179 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

LOTR is on the other side of Tron to keep the peace

Ahh...makes sense....hopefully, order will be kept....

#2180 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Did I miss something? Pinside has a new IMVE as a new game to rank, rate and what have you? I don't know if this is needed?
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/iron-man-ve

Yeah, I think even vault owners will agree that this is dumb. It will dilute the ratings. Zero differences in gameplay, rules, music and callouts.

#2181 3 years ago

I just joined the club and I'm looking to convert it to LEDs. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a list of all bulbs and flashers in the machine?

#2182 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yeah, I think even vault owners will agree that this is dumb. It will dilute the ratings. Zero differences in gameplay, rules, music and callouts.

swamp and I are buds, but let me make sure both sides are represented

for what it's worth- I'm a Vault owner and I disagree. All things 100% equal (location, condition) if you're shopping for a game, you're going to pick the newer vault. Vault is also called LED version by stern. It's boards "accept" LEDs without ghosting. While not drastic, There are differences between the two machines. I personally will always pick the newer game when given a choice and all things equal.

#2183 3 years ago

I had both side by side for a while and kept the vault simply because I wanted a newer version. One that had only been possessed by me. Game play was the same and there are a few asthetic differences. I detailed them both in this very thread.

Had I bought the Pro NIB, I doubt I would have swapped them out though.

#2184 3 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

This seems like a good place to put this post that I have been meaning to do for some time. It concerns the different ways to mount acrylic designs with a Speaker Light Kit behind it.
What looks best varies from each design and what style they are. Some look good with the grill directly behind the design, some look cool hidden behind the grill (and only appear when they are lit from behind). The acrylic designs that have etched details in them (ex: like the Iron Man figure) generally look much better if you mount the grill away from the acrylic design. The more etched area or details in the designs....the more important it is to mount them properly (ex: The LotR design is not as important as the Family Guy design since it has much less area etched out of it). Here is an example of different mounting orders with one of these detail etched designs.
MOUNTING ORDER
Top pic: acrylic design, light frame, grill, speaker
2nd pic down: acrylic design, nuts installed for spacers, grill, light plate, speaker
3rd pic: acrylic design, grill, light plate, speaker
Bottom pic: grill, acrylic design, light plate, speaker
I think the top method is hands down the best looking. You can see more detail, it is lit better, you do not have the grill between the acrylic design and the light source so you are not projecting the grill holes onto the design. Plus in the back of the lit area the grill is lit instead of the speaker. This gives it a more uniform and less cluttered look back there.
If you look between the 2nd and 3rd pic you can see that even just leaving a little bit of space (with some nuts for spacers) between the acrylic design and the grill helps a bit with showing more of the designs detail and diluting the dots from the grill holes. If you are a person that doesn't want the area around the design to be open (as it would be with the top mounting method)....this is a helpful alternative.
Mounting this type of design behind the grill like the bottom picture isn't really advised. You lose a lot of detail. That mounting method is better suited for black acrylic designs or ones that are single colored with no details etched in them.
I hope this info helps to make your Speaker Light Kits look even better.
Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

Stacked.jpg

I ended up buying these acrylic and speaker lights from doug and I can't stress how awesome these look! I have lights locked on red with iron man figure and its just the coolest thing. I did mine with acrylic, spacer, light frame, grill and speaker and they just pop. If you have an Iron Man, just buy them! I got them for other games as well and they look amazing. I have tried other places lights and these are far superior. Ill try to take a picture when I can.

#2185 3 years ago
Quoted from ilovegames:

I ended up buying these acrylic and speaker lights from doug and I can't stress how awesome these look! I have lights locked on red with iron man figure and its just the coolest thing. I did mine with acrylic, spacer, light frame, grill and speaker and they just pop. If you have an Iron Man, just buy them! I got them for other games as well and they look amazing. I have tried other places lights and these are far superior. Ill try to take a picture when I can.

I have his speaker lights and acrylics on all my games. indeed, fantastic atmosphere improving mod. spend a cpl more bucks, go all out. No boring machines ^_^

#2186 3 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

swamp and I are buds, but let me make sure both sides are represented
for what it's worth- I'm a Vault owner and I disagree. All things 100% equal (location, condition) if you're shopping for a game, you're going to pick the newer vault. Vault is also called LED version by stern. It's boards "accept" LEDs without ghosting. While not drastic, There are differences between the two machines. I personally will always pick the newer game when given a choice and all things equal.

I would actually honestly choose the original if both in same condition. I don't like the newer backbox style and the lighting effects are gimped on the VE.

#2187 3 years ago

I love how the speaker panel is tilted/angled on my Iron Man VE. I think it's an improvement on the standard design of my other games.

I put some led strips in the ball return area to light up the flippers on my three games and only in the IM is the strip not visible because of the angle.

Do y'all think it's possible to modify an older cabinet to angle the speaker panel like the IMVE?

#2188 3 years ago

A fantastic modded iron man for sale in Texas for a more than fair price imo. The (second) (^_^) nicest one I've seen.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-iron-man-stern-2010-2035

#2189 3 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

All things 100% equal (location, condition) if you're shopping for a game, you're going to pick the newer vault. Vault is also called LED version by stern. It's boards "accept" LEDs without ghosting. While not drastic, There are differences between the two machines. I personally will always pick the newer game when given a choice and all things equal.

This ties into the discussion about separate Premium and LE listings:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-premium-and-le-need-seperate-listings

I'll reluctantly agree that the IM Vault is worth more money to most people. However, I still think that IMOG and IMVE are identical from a player's perspective, which is what the ratings should represent. Fine, tell me your Vault is worth $500 more - just don't tell me it plays better.

#2190 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'll reluctantly agree that the IM Vault is worth more money to most people. However, I still think that IMOG and IMVE are identical from a player's perspective, which is what the ratings should represent. Fine, tell me your Vault is worth $500 more - just don't tell me it plays better.

Yes the play is identical between the two... unlike MMr where game play is a little snappier than the original. I like that I can color match inserts on IMOG, not an option with the IMVE, and a DMD glare guard is the cheapest mod available for a pinball machine. That would leave cabinet decals as the only difference of substance... Later runs of Tron also had higher res decals, but it didn't create any pricing difference.

Edit: There are also lighted figures, so one can justify a little extra for the lighted figures in IMVE.

#2191 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Yes the play is identical between the two... unlike MMr where game play is a little snappier than the original. I like that I can color match inserts on IMOG, not an option with the IMVE, and a DMD glare guard is the cheapest mod available for a pinball machine. That would leave cabinet decals as the only difference of substance... Later runs of Tron also had higher res decals, but it didn't create any pricing difference.

Why can't you color match inserts on the VE?

#2192 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Why can't you color match inserts on the VE?

I was thinking they are the LED boards that Stern has been rolling out in recent models? Maybe they are still socketed?

#2193 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure IMVE used sockets for everything.

#2194 3 years ago

Yes it sure does. Color matching is a thing with IMVE too

#2195 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I was thinking they are the LED boards that Stern has been rolling out in recent models? Maybe they are still socketed?

They are sockets.

As for the lighted figures, only monger is lit. War machine and whiplash are just plain figures.

3 weeks later
#2196 3 years ago

I had the armor Powder coated on mine recently. I think it came out great! I'm also hooking up a Hooked apron arc reactor later. Awesome game.

IMG_20160517_112517980_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160517_134636544_(resized).jpg

#2197 3 years ago

Picked up these in Allentown.

IMG_20160508_193913307_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160508_193932997_(resized).jpg

#2198 3 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I had the armor Powder coated on mine recently. I think it came out great! I'm also hooking up a Hooked apron arc reactor later. Awesome game.

The powdercoat looks awesome alone with the apron and lighting. Id also recommend these speaker grills, pop caps with special leds and topper to finish out the theme.20160530_002917_(resized).jpg20160530_002839_(resized).jpg20160530_002708_(resized).jpg20160530_002522_(resized).jpg

#2199 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The powdercoat looks awesome alone with the apron and lighting. Id also recommend these speaker grills, pop caps with special leds and topper to finish out the theme.

For some reason this arc reactor apron is not lighting up. I do have the pop caps as well, along with this laseriffic topper and I changed things up a bit with these aluminum bats and blue silicone.

IMG_20160530_244627359_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160530_244608250_(resized).jpg

#2200 3 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

For some reason this arc reactor apron is not lighting up. I do have the pop caps as well, along with this laseriffic topper and I changed things up a bit with these aluminum bats and blue silicone.

Is anything lighting up on it? It has gi and then also has flashers under apron inserts and red in center drain area

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
There are 3537 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 71.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside