(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,509 posts
  • 314 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by maffewl
  • Topic is favorited by 100 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 744 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2752 (resized).jpg
B6024FA0-545B-4A39-B92D-315B307BDE4E (resized).jpeg
41E42D32-1E27-4290-A09F-B8A29CC796C5.jpeg
4D3D5EAB-A0BC-4FC6-AC38-6575A3FB3147.jpeg
65ACE028-551D-425D-B9F5-945B147B16E5.jpeg
FF2A9D48-8CC7-43CF-A751-484B4001D24E.jpeg
thumbnail-1 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail-7 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail-6 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail-4 (resized).jpeg
2222 (resized).jpg
5555 (resized).jpg
1111 (resized).jpeg
4444 (resized).jpg
3333 (resized).jpg
6B4EDA35-0993-4F30-AF5F-D7BB6DF40329 (resized).jpeg

There are 3509 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 71.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How do you determine what the next award will be?

I don't know what is the hierarchy of award importance. I just know from my experience add a ball is not always first.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Does anyone have the backbox lighting kit mod from one of the companies that make them.

I have the Over The Top backbox kit from Pinball Refinery ($245 - http://tinyurl.com/kq24fbk) and am VERY happy with it. I went with this kit because I'm not a fan of the constant-color-changing kits. This one is VERY well made and ties into the lighting effects extremely well without being obnoxious.

Video of the kit can be seen here -

I didn't opt for the under cabinet lighting. That's not my thing.

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Mine has the Cointaker backbox kit. It's modest and tasteful the way it changes the colors of the sky and clouds. Quite beautiful and not in your face (at least in a slow fade setting). The top strip of lights was out on mine when I bought the game and it still looks cool.

I wonder when that strip went bad? Was working when I sold it but you are the third person to own it since I had it.

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I have the Over The Top backbox kit from Pinball Refinery ($245 - http://tinyurl.com/kq24fbk) and am VERY happy with it. I went with this kit because I'm not a fan of the constant-color-changing kits. This one is VERY well made and ties into the lighting effects extremely well without being obnoxious.
Video of the kit can be seen here - ยป YouTube video
I didn't opt for the under cabinet lighting. That's not my thing.

Thanks for posting looks nice !

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I don't know what is the hierarchy of award importance. I just know from my experience add a ball is not always first.

I can confirm this. Kinda sucks when you nail it just as you need a ball to keep MB going and it gives you 200k or bonus x instead! Or the random lite EB or Special.

I don't have Special set to EB because I feel that IM is really works best as a 3 ball max game...but occasionally when I get a couple inserts flashing I wonder if more balls would give me a shot at e ultimate unicorn: Do or Die Multiball.

Has anyone done this with glass off?

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I wonder when that strip went bad? Was working when I sold it but you are the third person to own it since I had it.

Don't know. When I bought it from NJ Gecko it wasn't working and he mentioned it wasn't working when he got it. Maybe something came loose on the cross country trek from Cali! This really is a nice game. If I'm the fourth owner it seems like no one else ever played it!

#157 4 years ago

Don't know. When I bought it from NJ Gecko it wasn't working and he mentioned it wasn't working when he got it. Maybe something came loose on the cross country trek from Cali! This really is a nice game. If I'm the fourth owner it seems like no one else ever played it!

Yep, it's a nice one. Two people owned it before me, so you are the sixth owner. Original owner (and second owner) was in AZ.

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yep, it's a nice one. Two people owned it before me, so you are the sixth owner. Original owner (and second owner) was in AZ.

Geezz, your game sure gets around.

#159 4 years ago

I just bought an under cabinet LED kit from Rock for my IM. Can't wait to install it. Bought it this evening and he has already shipped it! Hell yeah!

#160 4 years ago

I don't have Special set to EB because I feel that IM is really works best as a 3 ball max game...but occasionally when I get a couple inserts flashing I wonder if more balls would give me a shot at e ultimate unicorn: Do or Die Multiball.

DoDMB on factory settings is virtually impossible on a 3 ball setting. I explained why this is the case in detail in another thread.

To my knowledge nobody has achieved it legitimately on factory settings.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

DoDMB on factory settings is virtually impossible on a 3 ball setting. I explained why this is the case in detail in another thread.
To my knowledge nobody has achieved it legitimately on factory settings.

I read that...so it does exist tho?

#162 4 years ago

I read that...so it does exist tho?

I have not verified it exists.

I am not a fan of seeing a special mode without earning it. I did take the glass off to verify that 4 sets of drones were required to earn the blinking drones insert, because after my game when I had the other 4 inserts blinking and had played War Machine 3 times I was shocked the Drone insert was not blinking. I thought it would behave similar to the Iron Man targets.

I was wrong. Drones requires 4 sets. At that point I wrote what I did because I think the requirements for DoD MB are just ridiculous in a game with no earnable extra ball and a 'no further game progress allowed unless completed' wizard mode (Jericho) one will have to encounter in the 3 balls.

It would be a heck of a note if DoD MB did not exist.

#163 4 years ago

So it's well documented that IM is tough as shit. I tweaked some of the rules like dropping Whiplash from five to three, extra ball instead of free game after 9 million, moving the side posts to the bottom of the four holes and a few others and I tell ya I enjoy it a ton more. I'm sure it's not what purists would agree with and it's not the factory settings but screw it, it's my game. I'm loving it.

#164 4 years ago

If anyone is looking for some figures to add or the Monger to modify i just posted these figures for sale.. FYI

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-iron-man-figures-new

#165 4 years ago

I don't understand people talking about DOD multiball needing extra balls to achieve. My experience is that DOD multiball is a one ball goal. In one ball you have to get: ironman lit, war machine lit, iron monger lit, whiplash lit, drones lit, then collect by hitting center spinner twice. Reward 50 mil and multiball, on 1.4 rom, 35 mil 1.6 rom. If you also lite bogey ramps you go straight to Jericho. DoD multiball has to be done on one ball, modes do not carry over to next ball. It is much harder to achieve than Jericho which is accumulated modes and collecting reward carries over to next ball. For DoD multiball,3 ball or 5 ball makes no difference, as it has to be achieved and collected in one ball.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from Maddog:

I don't understand people talking about DOD multiball needing extra balls to achieve. My experience is that DOD multiball is a one ball goal. In one ball you have to get: ironman lit, war machine lit, iron monger lit, whiplash lit, drones lit, then collect by hitting center spinner twice. Reward 50 mil and multiball, on 1.4 rom, 35 mil 1.6 rom. If you also lite bogey ramps you go straight to Jericho. DoD multiball has to be done on one ball, modes do not carry over to next ball. It is much harder to achieve than Jericho which is accumulated modes and collecting reward carries over to next ball. For DoD multiball,3 ball or 5 ball makes no difference, as it has to be achieved and collected in one ball.

You're talking about Do or Die, whereas everyone else is talking about Do or Die Multiball, which is impossible to achieve.

#167 4 years ago

Yep Maddog, you have never achieved do or die multiball. I guarantee that. Also, no multiball is awarded for a do or die (not multiball) shot. You get 2x everything for the rest of the ball. Also, your bogey ramps thing is not exactly correct for making it to Jericho. You technically don't need bogey at all to get to Jericho. You just need to start 6 major tasks (monger, drones, war machine, whiplash, ironman, shield inserts complete, bogey). Some of these can be used twice too...for example ironman counts every time you spell it.

#168 4 years ago

IM....the one to rule them all?

#169 4 years ago

One Pin to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.....

#170 4 years ago

I am just finishing up a full all out upgrade on an IM for a customer.... I love to transform this machine. I can post a video of it if anyone wants to see a crazy light show that this one has. I came up with a few more lighting effects while I worked on this one and I will be installing them into my machine as well.

The first picture is when I received the machine into my shop...

Steve
Pinball Refinery

IMG_20140423_191629_199.jpgIMG_20140502_131256_558.jpgIMG_20140502_131413_310.jpgIMG_20140502_131524_768.jpgIMG_20140502_131640_946.jpgIMG_20140502_131734_331.jpg

#171 4 years ago

Tell me more about that plunger light mod. I'm listening....

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Tell me more about that plunger light mod. I'm listening....

I think there's just an LED there. I have a flex head there on mine.

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

I am just finishing up a full all out upgrade on an IM for a customer.... I love to transform this machine. I can post a video of it if anyone wants to see a crazy light show that this one has

I would love to see the video. Are you selling any of the new lighting? Those giant flashers you sell are great in whiplash!

#174 4 years ago

With the glass off? Yes. I had the glass off my machine and was testing it for various things including trying to figure out how to make the inserts all flash, and I started DODMB. I realized what had been done and shut the machine off before I really saw anything.

I installed a tournament button in mine so I could run one ball games too for fun, maybe I'll change that to five ball sometime to try to get there.

#175 4 years ago

Wow. So it's true. Time to go downstairs!

#176 4 years ago

Got my service rails and shaker installed today
image-428.jpg
image-478.jpg

#177 4 years ago

How much were the service rails?

#179 4 years ago

First of all, IM is still my favorite game and the first pin I owned.

However, anyone else had problems with the whiplash plastic cracking? I think my magnet made it break the other day.

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from spideynhb:

First of all, IM is still my favorite game and the first pin I owned.
However, anyone else had problems with the whiplash plastic cracking? I think my magnet made it break the other day.

yeah I cracked mine as well when I had it

#181 4 years ago

Yeah those service rails are high on my list.

Maybe it's just me but has anyone ever though about painting/power coating all the silver nuts and screws on the play field in a red/yellow theme?

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

How much were the service rails?

If anyone is interested in candy red powder coated service rails for their IM and there is enough interest. I can run a batch of them... They are $65.00 for them plus shipping.... Here are a few pictures of them on my IM.

I can add these to my website for orders.

Thanks,

Steve
Pinball Refinery

IMG_20140506_115232_691.jpgIMG_20140506_115329_679.jpg

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

If anyone is interested in candy red powder coated service rails for their IM and there is enough interest. I can run a batch of them... They are $65.00 for them plus shipping.... Here are a few pictures of them on my IM.
I can add these to my website for orders.

I'd be in for a set

#184 4 years ago

Is candy red the go to color for Iron Man? If I'm not mistaken (I actually have the first Iron Man movie on right now) I think Tony told Jarvis to throw on some hot rod red. Is that color an option when powder coating? I'm ignorant when it comes to powder coating.

Also if I get these rails and then Zdoors apron mod in candy red and then other areas later, will it be noticeable that these pieces were done separately?

I can't stop buying mods for this baby. I love playing it. So addictive!!!

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Is candy red the go to color for Iron Man? If I'm not mistaken (I actually have the first Iron Man movie on right now) I think Tony told Jarvis to throw on some hot rod red. Is that color an option when powder coating? I'm ignorant when it comes to powder coating.
Also if I get these rails and then Zdoors apron mod in candy red and then other areas later, will it be noticeable that these pieces were done separately?
I can't stop buying mods for this baby. I love playing it. So addictive!!!

You should have all the powder coating done at the same place and at the same time to ensure a perfect match.

Zdoor (Pinball Refinery) can do all of the powder coating for you at once if you'd like.

#186 4 years ago

I'm in the minority on this (as usual) but I prefer brass on IM. Powdercoat looks nice...and will be distinctive in a one pin line up....but so many machines are powdered these days and powder on IM just sinks into the background. The brass is badass baby.

#187 4 years ago

Has anyone tried these on their pops? I think they'd work well since the pops only illuminate when they're "active" (scoring-wise)

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3336

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Has anyone tried these on their pops? I think they'd work well since the pops only illuminate when they're "active" (scoring-wise)

I'm holding out for Hooked's pop cap mods.

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I'm holding out for Hooked's pop cap mods.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2029
Got these.

Well, I have rated 93 games now and IM has finally hit my number 1 !

And it the longest SS pin I have ever owned!

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Yes, I tried them on my IM.

They don't work. Or more accurately, 2 of 3 of them do work. The cap will *not* fit under the right ramp, as it will not allow the ramp to go back down onto the PF.

#191 4 years ago

Speaking of the ramp - how do you guys deal with removing the ramps for cleaning up the game? I haven't actually tried it yet, but looking at how they go through the back wall, it seems like it would be quite a feat getting them off.

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Speaking of the ramp - how do you guys deal with removing the ramps for cleaning up the game? I haven't actually tried it yet, but looking at how they go through the back wall, it seems like it would be quite a feat getting them off.

Actually easier than you think: just unscrew 4-5 screws on the backboard plastic and take that plastic off, then you will see the ramp is just sitting there.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Actually easier than you think: just unscrew 4-5 screws on the backboard plastic and take that plastic off, then you will see the ramp is just sitting there.

But isn't one of those screws in the lower right corner under the ramp?

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2029
Got these.
Well, I have rated 93 games now and IM has finally hit my number 1 !
And it the longest SS pin I have ever owned!

No game I have ever played has the "just one more game" effect like IM..
so simple and yet simply fun as hell!

#195 4 years ago

Well I need some help here. I popped the balls out, put the play field up and began switching out the old lights for new ones. I made a good dent and decided to play a game. I put the balls back in after I tried to start a game. Now the balls won't shoot out and the game doesn't seem to start properly. The monger wont go down but the music comes on like a game is being played. The game responds if areas are hit but the monger is still up. Weird. I'm at a loss. I've tried turning it off and on several times hoping that migt reset it. Can anyone help?

#196 4 years ago

I'm hoping its not a fuse or worse and it's just a simple fix

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I'm hoping its not a fuse or worse and it's just a simple fix

Sounds like your coin door isn't closed honestly or something related.

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Sounds like your coin door isn't closed honestly or something related.

The fact that a game starts when I push the start button and no indicator comes on about the coin door being open confuses me. I was changing the lights while the machine was on. Is that a rookie mistake? I changed the light near the shooter rod and had to use a flathead to change it. Maybe I made contact with something that caused a fuse to blow? When they blow, is there an audible pop or anything that I would have noticed?

#199 4 years ago

Check fuses, Grinder901. If it isn't that, check that all the wires are attached to the coin door switch.

#200 4 years ago

Thanks buds, I am such a noob. I got a guy coming over to help check the fuses. I'll check the coin door wires when I get home as well.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Sale Pending!
Corning, NY
$ 50.00
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Morgantown, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 26.50
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3509 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 71.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside