(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,020 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by Trekkie1978
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg
There are 5,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 101.
#1601 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I had a thought. The plastics over the slings seem odd to me. No where else on the game are Black Widow or Nick Fury represented. They don't even rate call outs in the game from what I can remember which seems weird as well.
So unless someone wants to pull clips and alter the code (erak) I have a mod request. I'd be a buyer if someone could create some badass looking replacement sling covers. Maybe have one be the Iron Man suit and one be War Machine. Or maybe two halves of the Iron Man mask. I remember seeing some cool SM plastic replacements red and black half and half of the Spidey symbol. I'd love something like that for Iron Man. Black Widow is hot and all but they just don't fit in the game.
Thoughts?

absolutely 100% agree. maybe laseriffic or back alley can solve this. I have a lot of their stuff and it's great, including the SM slings, they're light years better than Tobey and Kirsten just like everything and anything would be light years better than nick fury...scarlet on the other hand hmm haha

#1602 8 years ago

ok, ordered a VE. Never played Ironman, but love brutal games. What should I do to this bad boy to get the most out of it. Any mods that are necessary?

#1603 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

ok, ordered a VE. Never played Ironman, but love brutal games. What should I do to this bad boy to get the most out of it. Any mods that are necessary?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-pinball-refinery-iron-man-vault-edition

they're ALL necessary : )

best bang for buck for IM is probably shaker motor and EL lit whiplash

#1604 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

At a minimum, get a shaker and external sub. They add SO MUCH to this game!

#1605 8 years ago

Shaker, EL whip, external sub, color DMD, a few purple magenta and blue Led's, and some mirror blades and you'll be good. Then a couple months free you think you're good go for some pinball refinery armor

#1606 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

At a minimum, get a shaker and external sub. They add SO MUCH to this game!

Ugh, too much talk of a shaker that I don't have yet... would be cheaper than new armor and ColorDMD

#1607 8 years ago

Does anyone want to trade me their clear DMD screen for a red DMD filter/screen? It'd have to be for the original IM.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-want-to-trade-their-clear-dmd-protector-for-my-red-one

#1608 8 years ago

Joining the club tomorrow. Super excited! Original with shaker HUO. Adding LEDs this week from Comet and hooking to subwoofer.

Should be rockin'!

#1609 8 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Joining the club tomorrow. Super excited! Original with shaker HUO. Adding LEDs this week from Comet and hooking to subwoofer.
Should be rockin'!

Enjoy! Hey for fun could you keep me in mind if your IJ or RFM ever end up going out your door? Thanks.

#1610 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

My list:

Shaker
ColorDMD
LEDOCD
Flipper Fidelity speaker set

Everything else is window dressing.

#1611 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

My list:
Shaker
ColorDMD
LEDOCD
Flipper Fidelity speaker set
Everything else is window dressing.

FYI- not to take a sale away from Herg, but LEDOCD is not necessary with a vault edition.

addl opinion: colordmd is cool but is also just window dressing. speakers don't add as much to IM in my opinion as shaker takes care of adding atmosphere and the music is solid but not fantastic.

#1612 8 years ago

Shaker is #1 - Do it or don't bother getting IM

Everything else is just "nice" to have but also personal opinion.

Me? I've gone Shaker (duh), External Sub, Color DMD, Topper, Color Changing Speaker Panels, Lighted Whips, Added Drone and Iron Man figures, Under Monger and behind Monger Lighting.

#1613 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

FYI- not to take a sale away from Herg, but LEDOCD is not necessary with a vault edition.

It is if you want any of the cool effects.

#1614 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It is if you want any of the cool effects.

I actually prefer the very discrete nature of the LEDs without fade of LEDOCD on this pin. It's cool when everything goes dark and back on instantaneously in certain events (like battling Monger). IMO, there's better areas to spend $150.

#1615 8 years ago

I'd def do...

- Shaker
- Color DMD
- This: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-monger-window-decal-interest-check

I also have a backbox / speaker LED kit, but I don't view those are necessities. The ones above I think are must haves.

#1616 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

addl opinion: colordmd is cool but is also just window dressing. speakers don't add as much to IM in my opinion as shaker takes care of adding atmosphere and the music is solid but not fantastic.

I think that depends on how sensitive you are to LEDs. For me I get headaches after playing my IMVE with the stock setup because of the on/off nature of the LEDs. Those little resistor PCBs don't make much of a difference. LEDOCD fixed that for me.

Can't completely disagree re: ColorDMD, but I can say it is much more pleasant to watch the screen and to see what's happening in the videos sections of the DMD animations now.

#1617 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Me? I've gone Shaker (duh), External Sub, Color DMD, Topper, Color Changing Speaker Panels, Lighted Whips, Added Drone and Iron Man figures, Under Monger and behind Monger Lighting.

I'd like to do the lighted whips eventually but I refuse to pay someone to do the mod. Same with the lit up figures, someday I will go on a mod spree and make my own.

#1618 8 years ago

Whew! Got it and tons of fun to play. Totally stock except shaker. Even had my wife and kids playing which is really saying something!

LEDs going in once I receive my shipment from Comet. Does the 2010 version need the Cliffy's?

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Enjoy! Hey for fun could you keep me in mind if your IJ or RFM ever end up going out your door? Thanks.

RFM went out the door as part a 3 person transaction to get this IM along with BDK and Avatar. Was a great day for me yesterday setting up those 3 beauts!

I have no idea really what I'm shooting for. At one point last night I got to Mark VI and had all the other insert lit solid. Wasn't sure what I was supposed to shoot for and then of course I drained. What was pending for me? I feel like I was close to something. Even then though I think my score was under 30 million which I'm guessing isn't that great.

#1619 8 years ago

Whew! Got it and tons of fun to play. Totally stock except shaker. Even had my wife and kids playing which is really saying something!
LEDs going in once I receive my shipment from Comet. Does the 2010 version need the Cliffy's?

RFM went out the door as part a 3 person transaction to get this IM along with BDK and Avatar. Was a great day for me yesterday setting up those 3 beauts!
I have no idea really what I'm shooting for. At one point last night I got to Mark VI and had all the other insert lit solid. Wasn't sure what I was supposed to shoot for and then of course I drained. What was pending for me? I feel like I was close to something. Even then though I think my score was under 30 million which I'm guessing isn't that great.

Jericho. Game doesn't need any cliffys. Not sure what is around your magnet though. VE has a decal around them. I'd use Mylar instead of a metal ring.

#1620 8 years ago

Do you need to buy anything special to prevent the magnets from mushrooming?

#1621 8 years ago

Jericho is much easier to get to than DoD hurry up and it's also more fun to play. Getting to it isn't that hard.... Finishing it is another story. BTW you essentially get to both the same way (play every mode) the difference is with DoD you played them all on one ball.

#1622 8 years ago

Others will add or correct me, but in a nutshell - To get to Jericho you need to get all your shields lit by starting Whiplash, shield rollovers, War Machine, Iron Monger, Bogey Ramps and Iron Man targets. IM targets can count more than once. Once they are all started and the larger top shield in blinking shoot the center shoot to start Jericho. Jericho is a suicide mission to redo everything over again on that ball, but you can set Jericho to rollover to the next ball. Do or Die is to get all the shields blinking on one ball and then you have a countdown to shoot the center shot for big points. You can stack some multi balls my favorite is to start Bogey then War Machine and then fire up Whiplash.

Disable the top post if it is active to get a skill shot and make multiballs more active and exciting.

Casual players like IM even though it is hard to play. A better player can play with a casual player also. I can not play ST with my wife because she is waiting to long for me to finish my turn. This does not happen on IM.

#1623 8 years ago

Thanks for the info! I need to disable the post. I figured there might be a setting like Tron but hadn't looked yet. That will be a first thing I do before some buddies come over this evening.

#1624 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Jericho is much easier to get to than DoD hurry up and it's also more fun to play. Getting to it isn't that hard.... Finishing it is another story.

I respectfully disagree. DoD Hurryup is the best thing in the game.

#1625 8 years ago

For me, the best thing in the game is stacking Bogeys with War Machine MB and Double Scoring, and then keeping multiball going long enough to get a "Time Extended" award. It's not as lucrative as the wizard modes, but I'm always happy when I can set that all up and execute on it.

#1626 8 years ago

Thanks for the info! I need to disable the post. I figured there might be a setting like Tron but hadn't looked yet. That will be a first thing I do before some buddies come over this evening.

Try it out. I had my post on for so long that when I shut it off it was like a new game for me. Balls whip around from the shooter during MB rather than getting caught at the pop bumpers. Very exciting!

I have trouble with the skill shot with the post down also.

#1627 8 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Do or Die is to get all the shields blinking on one ball and then you have a countdown to shoot the center shot for big points.

Shoot the center shot to start DoDhu and then shoot it again to collect. It starts at 35,000,000 (unless you have 2x scoring going) and counts down fairly quickly.

DoD Multiball is all character inserts flashing then shoot center shot to start. You can accomplish this over multiple balls and please let us know if you ever do. I only know one person who's done it so far (with outlanes set to the lowest/tighest setting).

#1628 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Not to disagree within the IM family, but I found the External Sub to be number 1. So much of the bass line is lost without it. Even when the ball is put in to the shooter lane, that music requires a sub.

Second the shaker, and then go as nuts as you want. But heck, bone stock this game still kicks some serious ass.

#1629 8 years ago

I just put the pingraffix IM bladeskins on my IMVE. I was worried at first of the decals being applied to the mirrorblades catching when lifting the playfield but have been very, very happy with how durable they are. No tearing, no scratching. The blades look awesome with the rest of the art package. Highly recommend. Going to put in the latest released transformers ones in my TFLE now...

#1630 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Not to disagree within the IM family, but I found the External Sub to be number 1. So much of the bass line is lost without it. Even when the ball is put in to the shooter lane, that music requires a sub.

IM does have a lot of wicked bass. I went with the FF speaker set, will have to try an external sub at some point. IM actually sounds better/badder than the MET sitting next to it (also with FF speakers).

#1631 8 years ago

I just played for two hours straight and broke 40M once. Factory settings with posts all the way down. Times like this make me want to quit pinball and especially regret buying Iron Man- so many drains on my machine have nothing to do with player's action or inaction.

I don't suck at pinball either. for perspective, I put up 500M on TWD without having much idea what I was doing. 400 on SM in competition mode with middle post removed. 400 on an extraordinarily fast Met pro,two shots within end of the line.

yet I couldn't sniff 50 or even start DODhu in two straight hours of playing easier than factory IM

IM is hard - don't let anyone tell you differently. Pinball is hard...

#1632 8 years ago

RandomKG, you've only had your IM for a few weeks, right? You'll get dialed into it after a few months. You gotta guard those outlanes through well-timed nudging; it's one of the things I like about IM. But I really thought TWD was a much more drain-hungry pin than IM. Sounds like you had a "magic game" on TWD. 40M on IM is a very respectable score; you can't really compare scores between older and new Sterns.

There are a lot of games in my collection that I consider harder than IM: Fathom, Dirty Harry, Whirlwind, Skateball...probably half of them, in fact. I define "hard" in terms of ball times, not scores.

#1633 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There are a lot of games in my collection that I consider harder than IM: Fathom, Dirty Harry, Whirlwind, Skateball...probably half of them, in fact. I define "hard" in terms of ball times, not scores.

You Crazy!

#1634 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I have always thought Whirlwind and IM were brothers from different mothers. Both games have the ability to lure you into thinking you are going to get a Grand Champion score. You get that great ball 1, you think this is the game...and then...the game beats the crap out of you the next 2. GC score? You ain't even getting anywhere near top score 4, kid!

That's reason 537 why I love IM. And WW.

#1635 8 years ago

Very happy to join this esteemed club with my Pinball Refinery IMVE that I've actually been enjoying for a few weeks now. I've wanted to get an IM since it first came out in 2010 and now I'm finally a proud owner!

Great game and PR is a great outfit to deal with - thanks Steve (HemiOrange09)!

092.jpg092.jpg

#1636 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I'd like to do the lighted whips eventually but I refuse to pay someone to do the mod. Same with the lit up figures, someday I will go on a mod spree and make my own.

I am going to be making all of these figures with lights in them at a reasonable price on my new website. www.modfatherpinball.com

#1637 8 years ago

No whips, but lighted figures are available now...pick whatever colors you want them to be. I can light up War Machine's gun too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/25720

Video

#1638 8 years ago

So here was my situation last night. All shields lit solid and mark 6. DMD said do or die ready and hit center shot. That was hard because the monger raised up. I ended up draining with a final score of 17million lol. I did check this morning and realized it (and my new avatar) were running old code which I updated this morning but have yet to play. I guess that was the hurry up since a multi ball didn't start. Is the monger raising at the start something normal or maybe old code?

As far as mods go I have shaker and external sub which is great.

#1639 8 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Very happy to join this esteemed club with my Pinball Refinery IMVE that I've actually been enjoying for a few weeks now. I've wanted to get an IM since it first came out in 2010 and now I'm finally a proud owner!
Great game and PR is a great outfit to deal with - thanks Steve (HemiOrange09)!

092.jpg(Click image to enlarge)

I'm in the club for a second time. This time with a refinery edition version as well (number 13 from PR). Now, if only we could get LS to make do or die MB more possible for people to see...

#1640 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I just played for two hours straight and broke 40M once. Factory settings with posts all the way down. Times like this make me want to quit pinball and especially regret buying Iron Man- so many drains on my machine have nothing to do with player's action or inaction.
I don't suck at pinball either. for perspective, I put up 500M on TWD without having much idea what I was doing. 400 on SM in competition mode with middle post removed. 400 on an extraordinarily fast Met pro,two shots within end of the line.
yet I couldn't sniff 50 or even start DODhu in two straight hours of playing easier than factory IM
IM is hard - don't let anyone tell you differently. Pinball is hard...

Don't feel bad, my games are like that on average as well. Set the tilt loose and shake the crap out of the game, it will make you feel better.

#1641 8 years ago

Was playing my 2 month old IMVE tonight when the start button stopped responding and wouldnt let me start a game. Shut the game off, restarted, button fired up a game right away. At the end of that game the button stopped working again. Shut down, restart, did switch test, switch worked on game start up, played a game, button stopped working did a switch test and no read on the switch. Shut off, turn on, button works on first game again but nothing after. Any suggestions??

#1642 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm in the club for a second time. This time with a refinery edition version as well (number 13 from PR). Now, if only we could get LS to make do or die MB more possible for people to see...

+1

#1643 8 years ago

So here was my situation last night. All shields lit solid and mark 6. DMD said do or die ready and hit center shot. That was hard because the monger raised up. I ended up draining with a final score of 17million lol. I did check this morning and realized it (and my new Avatar) were running old code which I updated this morning but have yet to play. I guess that was the hurry up since a multi ball didn't start. Is the monger raising at the start something normal or maybe old code?
As far as mods go I have shaker and external sub which is great.

Set Monger to 'hard' in the game settings (this will actually make the game easier).

#1644 8 years ago

Who wants to join the club? One of the nicest IMs out there just hit the market.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/28216

#1645 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Don't feel bad, my games are like that on average as well. Set the tilt loose and shake the crap out of the game, it will make you feel better.

ah pinball- played 10-15 more casual games yesterday with my casual newb pin friend and of course I got to 4 DODhu's and hit two of them, putting up 50M+ games twice... I guess it all balances out!

#1646 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Was playing my 2 month old IMVE tonight when the start button stopped responding and wouldnt let me start a game. Shut the game off, restarted, button fired up a game right away. At the end of that game the button stopped working again. Shut down, restart, did switch test, switch worked on game start up, played a game, button stopped working did a switch test and no read on the switch. Shut off, turn on, button works on first game again but nothing after. Any suggestions??

My guess is the switch needs replaced. That happens and is an easy fix.

#1647 8 years ago

Got my ass handed to me for a good part of an hour with a high score in the 30 mils. I swear, every time I get to Jericho, the ball dribbles back out of the pop bumpers to the Iron Monger, and then nearly immediately to the outlanes everytime.

Also, has anyone noticed a lot of air balls when hitting the first gate switch on the left ramp? I have had my fair share of them, and I was wondering if anyone figured out a way to correct this? My IM has all the leg levels fully turned in so the legs are as short as absolutely possible.

After being away on a TDY for the USAF, I installed my ColorDMD yesterday. Holy crap. The Whiplash screens and Iron Monger screens look especially amazing, and the bogey screens just look totally dynamite.

Thank so very much whoever did IM ColorDMD. With every release, we have a tendency to say "This is the end all, be all best release yet," but man, IM definitely has a dramatic improvement with a ColorDMD. Holy smokes.

#1648 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Also, has anyone noticed a lot of air balls when hitting the first gate switch on the left ramp? I have had my fair share of them, and I was wondering if anyone figured out a way to correct this? My IM has all the leg levels fully turned in so the legs are as short as absolutely possible.

You need to adjust the plate on top of monger. Use a straight edge to make sure it's perfectly flat.

#1649 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You need to adjust the plate on top of monger. Use a straight edge to make sure it's perfectly flat.

This is correct.

I've spent a lot of time adjusting the Monger lid just right. The issue is usually caused with the monger lid being too low and the ball hitting the playfield edge on behind the Monger. My fix ultimately involved gently bending the Monger bracket and adding some very small washers under the lid.

#1650 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

My fix ultimately involved gently bending the Monger bracket and adding some very small washers under the lid.

Lots of washers on mine as well!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.95
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 101.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.