(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,020 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 minutes ago by Trekkie1978
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg
There are 5,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 101.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Oh, that is too bad. I actually like setting that up.
One more reason for me not to switch to 1.6

I'm still struggling with the issue of whether to upgrade to 1.6 or not.

Interestingly enough, it is the fact that Iron Monger will come up when DoD or Jericho is lit that makes me think I should upgrade to 1.6. Not because of Jericho, but because he can come up after starting DoD, thus making it impossible to hit the DoD shot. Hate that.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

^^^^^^^
Hell yes. And Im serious, anyone have any Mylar they can hook me up with?

I'm still trying to find the artwork I did to go on those magnets for you.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from Brentslane:

Where do you get that translite?
BSL

I'm getting them made, I'll let you know when they're ready

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm still struggling with the issue of whether to upgrade to 1.6 or not.
Interestingly enough, it is the fact that Iron Monger will come up when DoD or Jericho is lit that makes me think I should upgrade to 1.6. Not because of Jericho, but because he can come up after starting DoD, thus making it impossible to hit the DoD shot. Hate that.

I don't have that occur very often.

For that to occur, the last shot up the middle needs to raise Monger and start DoD. So that implies Monger MB was already played at least once in the 5 character cycle toward DoD and the Monger insert is already lit ( maybe blinking if the SJP was earned from a previous run in that cycle).

Monger will not be the 5th insert to light and block the DoD shot since the Monger light only comes on after achieving multiball. After coming out of MB if Monger was the 5th insert to light, DoD would be a normal sequence.

Therefore the idea is to avoid starting Monger again as the 5th goal during the 5 character cycle. None of the other requirements for starting the remaining 4 characters are coincident with Monger shots. So that means avoid hitting the orbits and middle shot to advance letters.

Or, if getting close to DoD, start Monger again first and then try to pick off the remaining character or characters.

Once the setup is developed where the last shot raises Monger and starts DoD, the block is unavoidable, so planning has to occur before that point.

Also if Monger does come up with DoD running, then there is a scramble to get the 6 Monger shots to clear the path up to middle collect the remaining hurry up points.

In any case it does stink when the DoD shot is blocked, but it is avoidable.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I'm still trying to find the artwork I did to go on those magnets for you.

I'm ready to buy them whenever you are ready.

#56 10 years ago

My IM with speaker grill mod.

Thinking green color dmd would look sweet.

IMG_7873.JPGIMG_7873.JPG
#57 10 years ago

What are your thoughts on disabling the orbit post at the top? I've have mine disabled and it really speeds up the play, however, it's near impossible to hit a skill shot.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

What are your thoughts on disabling the orbit post at the top? I've have mine disabled and it really speeds up the play, however, it's near impossible to hit a skill shot.

Isn't that the point of a skillshot though? I've always hated IM's skillshot, it's the easiest ever. Plunge ball, tap flipper 'till you get to the proper lane. They should add one like Tron where you can hold the left flipper in, plunge the ball and try and make that ramp shot for a "super skillshot" reward.

#59 10 years ago

Definitely love IM - first pin I played in a tourney (totally sucked ass at it) and have been hooked on pinball ever since. Seriously considering offer cash to the operator who has a junky one on location nearby!

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Oh, that explains it then...put those outlanes back!

Is factory for the outlanes the 3rd or 4th hole?

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Is factory for the outlanes the 3rd or 4th hole?

Second from the bottom I believe. Definitely not all the way open (4th hole).

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Second from the bottom I believe. Definitely not all the way open (4th hole).

Nope, it's the 3rd hole from the bottom for both sides. Put them there...and when you do get a great game it is even sweeter!!

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Nope, it's the 3rd hole from the bottom for both sides. Put them there...and when you do get a great game it is even sweeter!!

But impossible!

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Yeah it's 3rd hole.

That's what she said.

#66 10 years ago

Ok still trying to figure out how you progress from Mark 1 thru 6?
I watched this video but I still am not sure.

http://papa.org/2012/12/03/iron-man-tutorial/

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ok still trying to figure out how you progress from Mark 1 thru 6?
I watched this video but I still am not sure.
http://papa.org/2012/12/03/iron-man-tutorial/

Every major task awards a Mark level, but usually only once during the 6 Mark progression meter. The exception is the Iron Man targets which awards a Mark level for each completion of a set

Examples of goals to earn a Mark level

Complete a Shield group of 6 inserts
Complete an Iron Man Target set (can be done for each Iron Man mode)
Start Bogey
Start Iron Monger MB
Start War Machine MB
Start Whiplash MB

#68 10 years ago

I'll never forget the first time I played IM, it was at Creature7's house when he first got it, and I immediately knew that I had to buy one.. even offered him cash on the spot (wife would have killed me, lol) but he wouldn't budge. To this day he still tells me IM is one of his favorites of all time, and he's owned 70+ pins. He sold it to another pin collector, and I know it's one of that collectors' favorites and he has mentioned he'll never sell his also. (See a pattern here?)

IM was my second new in box, but to me it will always be the one that I connected with more than any other pinball machine up to that point... and will always be something special to me. My first NIB was LOTR LE, and while I loved the game, IM came a few months later and just blew me away with it's super fast play and challenging ruleset that kept me coming back for more. My wife fell in love with LOTR, and I became obsessed with IM and the adrenaline rush it brought when I played it. I started to pretty much ignore LOTR.

I sold IM about a year and several months after owning it, and the same night it left I was regretting letting it go! The only reason I did is because I was still very new to the hobby and needed the cash for another new game that would hopefully be new and fresh and give me a similar type of challenge. After a few months, I began my search to replace my IM, but the new owner wouldn't sell me it back since he liked it so much and as we all know, IM's were super hard to find and the ones you did were taking a premium. I was able to track a NIB down after about 4 months of looking high and low, and it was a very happy moment to unbox it as it was something special and I knew it was staying for good! And I was very lucky to find one NIB, there wasn't very many NIB IM's I saw after that one.

I gave my IM the "LE Treatment", powder coated rails, slide rails, new t-molding, subwoofer, LED's, shaker, Figures with Arc reactors, and just about everything else you can add. Here's a few pics of my powder coating job, it looks amazing in person.

img5351y.jpgimg5351y.jpgimg2933mb.jpgimg2933mb.jpgim2.jpgim2.jpg

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

I'll never forget the first time I played IM, it was at Creature7's house when he first got it, and I immediately knew that I had to buy one.. even offered him cash on the spot (wife would have killed me, lol) but he wouldn't budge. To this day he still tells me IM is one of his favorites of all time, and he's owned 70+ pins. He sold it to another pin collector, and I know it's one of that collectors' favorites and he has mentioned he'll never sell his also. (See a pattern here?)
IM was my second new in box, but to me it will always be the one that I connected with more than any other pinball machine up to that point... and will always be something special to me. My first NIB was LOTR LE, and while I loved the game, IM came a few months later and just blew me away with it's super fast play and challenging ruleset that kept me coming back for more. My wife fell in love with LOTR, and I became obsessed with IM and the adrenaline rush it brought when I played it. I started to pretty much ignore LOTR.
I sold IM about a year and several months after owning it, and the same night it left I was regretting letting it go! The only reason I did is because I was still very new to the hobby and needed the cash for another new game that would hopefully be new and fresh and give me a similar type of challenge. After a few months, I began my search to replace my IM, but the new owner wouldn't sell me it back since he liked it so much and as we all know, IM's were super hard to find and the ones you did were taking a premium. I was able to track a NIB down after about 4 months of looking high and low, and it was a very happy moment to unbox it as it was something special and I knew it was staying for good! And I was very lucky to find one NIB, there wasn't very many NIB IM's I saw after that one.
I gave my IM the "LE Treatment", powder coated rails, slide rails, new t-molding, subwoofer, LED's, shaker, Figures with Arc reactors, and just about everything else you can add. Here's a few pics of my powder coating job, it looks amazing in person.

img2933mb.jpg 148 KB

img5351y.jpg 126 KB

im2.jpg 166 KB

Very nice.

The reality is that there is no other game like IM so if you sell it looking for a similar game, it ain't gonna happen!

#70 10 years ago

I have my outlines at Factory, achievements at hard and top post disabled. Im on 1.6. I think a 200 million score is out of reach. ..but if I can complete Jericho with 2x maybe. But ice yet to complete Jericho. Pretty hard to do with outlanes opened to 3rd hole (from bottom).

IM is now my favorite game in my colection.

I also prefer brass to red powdercoat.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Very nice.
The reality is that there is no other game like IM so if you sell it looking for a similar game, it ain't gonna happen!

Is Tron close? It strikes me that a lot of Tron lovers talk about it the way IM lovers talk about IM. Fast gameplay, good theme integration. "One more play" factor.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

IM is now my favorite game in my colection.

According to your ratings, it's 7th.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

According to your ratings, it's 7th.

Ratings don't always correlate to reality.

#74 10 years ago

I am loving my IM! And to think I was on the fence about buying this game (what was I thinking)
I just ordered the whiplash mod from Hooked
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-whiplash-el-vid
It's gunna be very hard to not go crazy modding this game

Is the shaker implemented well on IM?

#75 10 years ago

Is Tron close? It strikes me that a lot of Tron lovers talk about it the way IM lovers talk about IM. Fast gameplay, good theme integration. "One more play" factor.

IM is my favorite and i had a METLE sitting right next to it. IM is played 3x more. however that being said tron is next for me.

#76 10 years ago

IM with red metallic powdercoating is so hot

does-IM-make-you-randy.jpgdoes-IM-make-you-randy.jpg
#77 10 years ago

You all are confirming my suspicions and recent understandings. I played IM for the first time at the ZAPCON event in Phoenix a couple weekends ago, and it as you are all describing. Excellent pinball fun!! I believe the number of total plays was in the 650's just for the weekend event....the most played pinball machine there likely. My few game experience in a loud environment was the confirmation I was looking for to seek an IM out and procure it three days later for a delivery as soon as this coming week!! You guys are stoking the anxiety of the new pin....love it!

Since STLE is starting a bit to loose its newlywed feeling, it will be good to have a new field to play on with the IM in the confines of my Studio G (aka: the garage-ruff ruffman style). AC/DC is still the number one pin played in the studio after 18 months of ownership. MOPLE is great too, and unmatched with the blue funeral effects during cross super jackpot with the cool DMD graphics. IM will be a great addition and will as you all have said unlikely to ever leave the collection. BTW: Great movies too, finally watched them Hah!

#78 10 years ago

I just picked an Ironman with quite a few plays but not too bad and I'm going to start fixing her up with some new plastics, leds and mods. I need to change the magnet cores which is no problem but it looks like the playfield is warped in toward the magnet like a shallow bowl , I'm not sure if that's the way it is or not but unlikely, heres some pics let me know.

DSC00835.JPGDSC00835.JPG DSC00836.JPGDSC00836.JPG DSC00837.JPGDSC00837.JPG
#79 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am loving my IM! And to think I was on the fence about buying this game (what was I thinking)
I just ordered the whiplash mod from Hooked
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-whiplash-el-vid
It's gunna be very hard to not go crazy modding this game
Is the shaker implemented well on IM?

You haven't put a shaker in yet? Boy, you think you are loving it now, just wait till playing it with one.

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

You haven't out a shaker in yet? Boy, you thinking you are loving it now, just wait till playing it with one.

I can feel my wallet getting lighter

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Ratings don't always correlate to reality.

You mean his ratings are outdated? Or that your favorite game won't always be rated #1?

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

You mean his ratings are outdated? Or that your favorite game won't always be rated #1?

Favorite game doesn't always rank number 1 when you do the ratings.

#83 10 years ago

It depends on what you're looking for, but I think that IM, Tron and Metallica are all relatively similar, but the difference is that with IM, there are NO safe shots. In both Tron and Metallica, while they can get going ridiculously fast, and have some really cool stackable rules similar to what IM has, there are shots on both that if you don't hit perfectly, you don't risk an almost immediate drain.

IM set up what I would say is "right" makes it so that every shot you take if not a perfect hit, you risk having the ball come right back at you for a center or side drain. It makes it so much nastier than anything else, but it also gives you such a rush because when you're making the shots, you know you're hitting it just right.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Favorite game doesn't always rank number 1 when you do the ratings.

Doesn't that mean that the ratings system is flawed then? I always just adjust things accordingly to get my list in the right order to avoid that possible issue.

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Doesn't that mean that the ratings system is flawed then? I always just adjust things accordingly to get my list in the right order to avoid that possible issue.

It means that the ratings system might place a higher weighting on some factors than what you might place on them. They tried to remedy this by allowing the user to change the weightings.

In other words, some people will place a huge emphasis on theme. So even though a game like FT might play better than another pin, the theme might kill it for them.

Tron LE is my favorite because it excels in so many of the aspects that makes a pin great to me, including theme, theme integration, sound effects, music, appearance, flow, speed, and a decent amount of randomness caused by the disc whipping the ball around.

IM also excels in these areas as well. And I think the comments that Tron and IM are compared to each other a lot is valid.

#86 10 years ago

U gots to have a shaker motor and external sub for this baby! One of my favorites games for sure!

#87 10 years ago

Does anyone make red and yellow/gold flippers for sale? The red rubber around my left one is looking a bit rough. Any suggestions?

#88 10 years ago

I have heard that there might be a SW update for IM in the near future ?
Anyone heard about that ?

#89 10 years ago

What about these? Various colours

Quoted from Grinder901:

Does anyone make red and yellow/gold flippers for sale? The red rubber around my left one is looking a bit rough. Any suggestions?

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/flipper-without-logo-gold-p-2166.html?language=english

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It means that the ratings system might place a higher weighting on some factors than what you might place on them. They tried to remedy this by allowing the user to change the weightings.
In other words, some people will place a huge emphasis on theme. So even though a game like FT might play better than another pin, the theme might kill it for them.
TRON LE is my favorite because it excels in so many of the aspects that makes a pin great to me, including theme, theme integration, sound effects, music, appearance, flow, speed, and a decent amount of randomness caused by the disc whipping the ball around.
IM also excels in these areas as well. And I think the comments that Tron and IM are compared to each other a lot is valid.

I'm not sure if that makes a lot of sense though. Tron LE is your #1 game but it's rated #3 on your list? What good is a rating list if it doesn't actually reflect your actual opinion? Like if I gave you a list of my top 10 restaurants, you would be like ok, #1 is his favorite, lets go there. Then you talked to me later, and I told you "#1 isn't my favorite, my favorite is actually #7" you'd be like WTF? Then why is it #7 on your list? See my point here? If your actual top games aren't lining up in order on your rankings, then the ranking system is screwed up (in my opinion).

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from Slim2013:

I have heard that there might be a SW update for IM in the near future ?
Anyone heard about that ?

Be more specific?

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I'm not sure if that makes a lot of sense though. TRON LE is your #1 game but it's rated #3 on your list? What good is a rating list if it doesn't actually reflect your actual opinion? Like if I gave you a list of my top 10 restaurants, you would be like ok, #1 is his favorite, lets go there. Then you talked to me later, and I told you "#1 isn't my favorite, my favorite is actually #7" you'd be like WTF? Then why is it #7 on your list? See my point here? If your actual top games aren't lining up in order on your rankings, then the ranking system is screwed up (in my opinion).

Of course I understand what you are saying. Nobody is saying the system is perfect. It's not.

I was just explaining why someone's favorite game won't necessarily be their highest rated pin using the Pinside ratings. It makes sense to me.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Of course I understand what you are saying. Nobody is saying the system is perfect. It's not.
I was just explaining why someone's favorite game won't necessarily be their highest rated pin using the Pinside ratings. It makes sense to me.

Just makes things really confusing, lol, that the lists don't reflect reality. I guess not everyone bends theirs to actually reflect their true list 1 to xxx.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Just makes things really confusing, lol, that the lists don't reflect reality. I guess not everyone bends theirs to actually reflect their true list 1 to xxx.

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with it at all and think it actually makes sense.

For example, while Tron LE is my favorite pin, a lot of that is based on the sounds and music/theme. I think AC/DC is the better pin in terms of game play. So which of those two pins should be ranked higher on a rating system?

I think you want to make the ratings overly simplistic. In other words, you just want a single rating to apply to a pin, like an 8.5, and just do away with all the sub categories like sound, art, etc. I much prefer having multiple categories, because this results in a more objective rating of the pin overall.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with it at all and think it actually makes sense.
For example, while TRON LE is my favorite pin, a lot of that is based on the sounds and music/theme. I think AC/DC is the better pin in terms of game play. So which of those two pins should be ranked higher on a rating system?
I think you want to make the ratings overly simplistic. In other words, you just want a single rating to apply to a pin, like an 8.5, and just do away with all the sub categories like sound, art, etc. I much prefer having multiple categories, because this results in a more objective rating of the pin overall.

That is why it is hard to choose just one game as "the best". There are so many different subsets of rankings. I love Iron Man and LOTR for example for completely different reasons. It's not even reasonable to compare them.

And to make matters more difficult, there are multiple generations of pins, each of which offers great things.

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Be more specific?

There have been rumors floating around - hope they are true!

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

There have been rumors floating around - hope they are true!

There was an updated code used at a recent tourney that just added more useful instant info. Not sure how much else will be changed.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

For example, while TRON LE is my favorite pin, a lot of that is based on the sounds and music/theme. I think AC/DC is the better pin in terms of game play. So which of those two pins should be ranked higher on a rating system?

Tron should be, if you like it better honestly in my opinion. I understand what everyone is saying though. I would agree that I would favor an overall rating rather than 4 individual categories, or more like 4 unique categories that don't sum to form an overall score...the overall rating would be by user input. Then users could sort by the individual categories to find out the best games in each area, while still being able to maintain an actual list that truly portrays which games you like best in order.

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Btw, did you just set your ratings to private, lol? I can't even see them anymore.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Btw, did you just set your ratings to private, lol? I can't even see them anymore.

Nope. I haven't touched my ratings in a long time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 101.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.