(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,016 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg
There are 5,016 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 101.
#601 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Don't you love it when the slings toss the ball out the out lanes?

IM is the only game where I get nervous when the ball starts bouncing back and forth on the slings. You are never safe.

#602 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I think IM is like a slot machine where you win sometimes, and that makes you want to play again and again. The thing with a home use IM is that you will never run out of money and have to walk away like the slots. You just hit keep hitting start one more time.................................
IM is weird in that you could have all your multiballs stacked and ready to go - then instead of hitting the first one to get them started and rolling you drain ball three.
It is such a fine line between a good game and bad game on IM. I do not trust the game or have "fun" playing it like some other games, but I just hit start again and again until I put in that one Jericho game where I get deep into, at least deep for IM. Have not made Do or Die yet. Must play better.

The way I like it, being my short game, that I can play a short game and don't get mad. Just like that's what happens, no big deal.

Now if I play PotC or XMLE and I only get a 3 minute game I feel like I didn't do anything, like it was a suck game. On those games you really need to hit hundreds of shots to make a good dent. But on IM at least to get to Jericho you can do it fairly quickly, Tron is similar to get SOS.

Now getting to DOD MB, I don't know maybe that's a 15 minute game don't think it'll happen for me, but I am not frustrated about IM being short it's kind of best that way, but also nice to have that mythical out of reach wizard mode to shoot for.

#603 9 years ago

IM is the only game where I get nervous when the ball starts bouncing back and forth on the slings. You are never safe.

Yes, like on TZ you know the pops are trouble but it's not happening all the time or you can avoid the pops. But on IM every game you have the slings in action, I know they say tap the side of the cabinet to avoid the slings but I have not tried that, I kind of don't mind so much when I drain on a lob out the side. I just marvel how it happens so often on IM but almost never on my other games.

But I like the randomness. I know the War Machine is brutal, but I think it's not something that will drain you if you are prepared. It's just if you get caught flat footed that the kick back is brutal, but the sling it seems can't do anything about (unless I learn to nudge the game before it drains without tilting).

#604 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I wonder if we could all reach a gentleman's agreement about point values for Extra Balls, since they don't happen any other way.
I was thinking of changing it to 25M / 50M. Should I start another thread with a poll? If so, what values would you recommend?

40/80/160 million?

#605 9 years ago

Here's the way I look at it...Jericho is a lot of fun to play. My family and friends rarely get to see it because they aren't A players. I'd like to have more opportunities to finish Jericho. Us "extra ball guys" wouldn't compare our scores to RobT and the other A players, only to each other.

I did set all the Iron Monger settings to difficult - all letters must be spotted, and a shot up the middle is needed to start the mode. Gameplay feels more balanced that way.

#606 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I did set all the Iron Monger settings to difficult - all letters must be spotted, and a shot up the middle is needed to start the mode. Gameplay feels more balanced that way.

I was tempted to do this as well.

Ironically, even though this obviously makes raising Iron Monger more difficult, an argument can also be made that it makes the game easier overall. Sometimes you want to try and avoid raising Iron Monger, and that in itself can be a challenge. That challenge is gone with the above settings.

#607 9 years ago

I try to get Iron Monger out of the way on ball 1, since I can usually get the SJP and get the insert flashing. Because of that, making IM difficult doesn't really make the game easier for me. I'd love to hear about other strategies to make it to Do or Die.

#608 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'd love to hear about other strategies to make it to Do or Die.

If that's the only goal you want, then:
1. avoid ramps (bogey doesn't count towards DoD) and
2. make progress on everything, but don't start anything, during balls 1 & 2 so that you can complete the tasks all on ball 3.

#609 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here's the way I look at it...Jericho is a lot of fun to play. My family and friends rarely get to see it because they aren't A players. I'd like to have more opportunities to finish Jericho. Us "extra ball guys" wouldn't compare our scores to RobT and the other A players, only to each other.

"A" players don't play on old rules with closed outlanes.

#610 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Speaking of "A" players, what are you replacing JM with, shadow with 2" flippers maybe to give the pin a chance? Kidding, seriously what would you get?

#611 9 years ago

Oh and $3300 will get you in thanks to Doughslinger! Run and get it someone and hit start again and again!

#612 9 years ago

Why is the left sling bigger than the right?

#613 9 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Why is the left sling bigger than the right?

The size of Scarlett Johansson's butt perhaps?

#614 9 years ago

I'm wondering how my tilt setup compares to others here. Is there an easy way to compare? Would be neat if this was controlled by a feature adjustment etc..

#615 9 years ago

You are correct about the closed outlanes.

But you are dead wrong about the old rules.

#616 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

1) the chances of getting wear on an IM in home use are very very slim unless you just play it 10000 times
2) mylar doesn't play as well as normal playfield, and it doesn't look as good either
3) if for some bizarre reason you do get wear, just buy another playfield with more clearcoat and install it, it will look even better

I just wanted to highlight that this is correct. I play my IM like a route dog and have for ages - it's got a broken plastic and a chip in the playfield, and yeah - it's HUO. But mylar stinks to play on, and I'd much rather invest $800 in a backup playfield and set of plastics than cripple the game to protect it more. IM is the ONLY game that I cared enough about to invest in this stuff, otherwise I could give a flying rip if I beat up the game a bit, I'd rather play it than not.

If you're concerned about protecting your game, it took about 2000 plays for me to put one chip into the playfield, and another 1000 for me to break a plastic (and mine has plastic protectors, by the way - watch the up post sending the ball into the plastic by the ramp, probably the only one I *could* have broken.)

#617 9 years ago

I'm not following the "old rules" argument - TFA are you saying that us poor cousins with a 2010 IM should install the IM VAULT code? I thought the rules were the same, and it was just some changes to the light show. No?

#618 9 years ago

He's talking about the (1.4?) code where the DoD jackpot was 50M points. Now it's only 35M.

#619 9 years ago

Oh yeah, 1.6 for sure.

#620 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You are correct about the closed outlanes.
But you are dead wrong about the old rules.

I thought you were married to that 50M do or die shot?

#621 9 years ago

Speaking of "A" players, what are you replacing JM with, Shadow with 2" flippers maybe to give the pin a chance? Kidding, seriously what would you get?

Guns and Roses. A nice floaty wide body to compliment IM!

#622 9 years ago

Guns and Roses. A nice floaty wide body to compliment IM!

Welcome to the jungle then. You will love it.

#623 9 years ago

I just got these plastic protectors(slings & lane guides) from Laseriffic . They give off a nice glow , the light is overexposed in these iPhone pics, but look really cool in person . Thanks Grinder for scanning the plastics for Joe & thanks to Joe at Laseriffic for making them. I'm going to try yellow to see what I like better. Email Joe if you want a set, [email protected]
image-49.jpgimage-49.jpg
image-589.jpgimage-589.jpg

Post edited by moto_cat: Info added

#624 9 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

I just got these plastic protectors(slings & lane guides) from Laseriffic . They give off a nice glow , the light is overexposed in these iPhone pics, but look really cool in person .

image-49.jpg 225 KB

image-589.jpg 262 KB

Are those yellow or red protectors? They look great. Do you think blue protectors would look better on the ball guide plastics?

Very immaturely, I had hoped to post pictures of the protectors first but I guess usps in my area is flipping me the bird. Still waiting. Glad you got them and I hope other IM owners contact Joe and get some for their machine.

#625 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Are those yellow or red protectors? They look great. Do you think blue protectors would look better on the ball guide plastics?
Very immaturely, I had hoped to post pictures of the protectors first but I guess usps in my area is flipping me the bird. Still waiting. Glad you got them and I hope other IM owners contact Joe and get some for their machine.

I was wondering if you got yours yet (got mine yesterday) . I think blue might be to too dark ? The protectors in the pics are fluorescent red/orange, (kind of hard to describe) when lit.

#626 9 years ago

Man I hope mine arrive soon. Joe has been fantastic communicating with me about the protectors. Did you take any shots of the protectors before you put them in?

#627 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Did you take any shots of the protectors before you put them in?

I did not , sorry man

#628 9 years ago

No prob man, I will take some for us/everyone if mine ever arrive.

#629 9 years ago

I thought you were married to that 50M do or die shot?

I am.

And so are some "A" list players. That's the part where you were wrong.

#630 9 years ago

Which code has the 50 million jackpot and where do I find it?

#631 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I am.
And so are some "A" list players. That's the part where you were wrong.

Please explain. Why is 35M "wrong" and 50M "right"?

#632 9 years ago

^Because 50 > 35 and 100 > 70

#633 9 years ago
Quoted from cr80:

^Because 50 > 35 and 100 > 70

It really is that simple.

#634 9 years ago

I joined the club

iron man vault 01.JPGiron man vault 01.JPG
iron man vault 02.JPGiron man vault 02.JPG
iron man vault 03.JPGiron man vault 03.JPG

#635 9 years ago

Giving you an option on your plastic protectors. Contact Joe (Laseriffic)

image-861.jpgimage-861.jpg
image-675.jpgimage-675.jpg
image-166.jpgimage-166.jpg
image-651.jpgimage-651.jpg

1 week later
#636 9 years ago

Kawydud makes some great colored vinyl magnet protectors. Perfect for IM and other games with magnets. He can adjust the size as well as color. I chose green for my Whiplash magnet and purple for my Monger magnet. Just a little color. I like it better than plain black or nothing at all. Hit him up

image-117.jpgimage-117.jpg image-448.jpgimage-448.jpg image-519.jpgimage-519.jpg image-647.jpgimage-647.jpg
#637 9 years ago

The colors look good Grinder, but you really should have used the sparkly colored ones.

#638 9 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

The colors look good Grinder, but you really should have used the sparkly colored ones.

You mean these:

image-714.jpgimage-714.jpg image-789.jpgimage-789.jpg
#639 9 years ago

I know I am super late to the party, but do the 2010 version and the 2014 vault edition play and feel the same? Same features? I got to play the 2010 version alot a few years ago and really liked it.

Thanks for the info!! B

#640 9 years ago

I have them side by side and they play exactly the same. Both have shakers, LEDS, nodded figures, under cabinet mits, a sub hooked to them, etc. Both are a blast. The differences are more in the details/aesthetics. The DMD on the VE is hard to look at the few times you might while you play or when it's not your turn, watching an opponent play. The cabinet print is different. The figures are different. The head box and its lock design are different. Different doesn't mean bad though. Can't go wrong with either man.

image-514.jpgimage-514.jpg

#641 9 years ago

^^^Lady's playing them too

#642 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

You mean these:

image-714.jpg 346 KB

image-789.jpg 267 KB

ahhh yes, sparkles are so pretty.

#643 9 years ago

Played a game on my VE then moved over and played a game on my Pro. Ball 2, kicked major ass, got the Do or Die center spinner all ready to go and promptly hit the War Machine kicker which sent my ball shooting down the drain. I screamed and to make matters worse the ball hit the apron and bounced back in play only to fall back down because I was cussing so much. Tease!! Ugh that's only like the second time I've had Do or Die as an option.

#644 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Played a game on my VE then moved over and played a game on my Pro. Ball 2, kicked major ass, got the Do or Die center spinner all ready to go and promptly hit the War Machine kicker which sent my ball shooting down the drain. I screamed and to make matters worse the ball hit the apron and bounced back in play only to fall back down because I was cussing so much. Tease!! Ugh that's only like the second time I've had Do or Die as an option.

Sound vaguely familiar. Lol

#645 9 years ago

Happy to have joined the club yesterday with a NIB VE. 323 of 510, made on the 14 Aug 2014.

Can you vets give me an idea of some spots to protect with Mylar? The magnet surrounds are done, I'm going to do the landing zone off the launch habitrail as well. Does the War Machine kickout zone get scuffed over time, and how about the slings - do I need any half moons of Mylar there?

Thanks.

#646 9 years ago

After the magnets, the shooter lane would be the next to protect. I use mylar first in the curved groove, then put the Cliffy on top of that (on the flat part to the left) to secure it.

#647 9 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Happy to have joined the club yesterday with a NIB VE. 323 of 510, made on the 14 Aug 2014.
Can you vets give me an idea of some spots to protect with Mylar? The magnet surrounds are done, I'm going to do the landing zone off the launch habitrail as well. Does the War Machine kickout zone get scuffed over time, and how about the slings - do I need any half moons of Mylar there?
Thanks.

I put half moons on my IM Pro slings but haven't for some reason on my IMVE. I put a mylar strip in the War Machine trough/channel in both though. Several shooter lane protectors (like three?) you can put down from Cliffy.

#648 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

After the magnets, the shooter lane would be the next to protect. I use mylar first in the curved groove, then put the Cliffy on top of that (on the flat part to the left) to secure it.

Quoted from Grinder901:

I put half moons on my IM Pro slings but haven't for some reason on my IMVE. I put a mylar strip in the War Machine trough/channel in both though. Several shooter lane protectors (like three?) you can put down from Cliffy.

Thanks guys. Done that tonight and more.

#649 9 years ago

Who's got a color dmd on it? I can't find any pics or video...

Thanks

#650 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcbbq13:

Who's got a color dmd on it? I can't find any pics or video...
Thanks

ff6735 had this on IM VE thread

http://www.youtube.com/embed/8aaS3XDxYxM?autoplay=1&rel=0

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,016 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 101.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.