(Topic ID: 147334)

Iron Man or Spider-Man to Pair with Tron?

By Billy16

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“SM or IM--Which One Would You Choose?”

• Iron Man all day--super rush, not all that similar in game play to Tron. 36 votes
    37%
  • Nope, since you already Tron--Spider-Man is the game you need, one of SR's best. 61 votes
    63%

(97 votes)

#1 8 years ago

Probably gonna fill that one space I have left in the game room with a new pin and am thinking hard about an Iron Man. Like the theme better than Spiderman and am not afraid of getting a tough game. However, is it too similar to Tron--am I getting too Borg'd out and should go with Steve R instead? Thoughts?

#2 8 years ago

Man. Tough call. I've owned all 3. Borg is my favorite designer. Tron and IM scratch a similar itch in the usual Borg way with high intensity, short ball times, tight, satisfying shots and simple, yet addictive, rule sets.

If you're seeking a Ying to your Yang, get SM. If you want more Yang, get IM. It's a rush and it plays differently enough.

#3 8 years ago

I had all three but sold SM and don't miss it too much, replaced it with TSPP.

If I was getting s SR game I'd get AcDc premium before SM.

#4 8 years ago

If ball times are the issue I would say Tron is in the middle of the three. IM and Spiderman are both great games.. SM is deeper than IM but really almost as intense. In both the pin "fights back" you can't go wrong with either one.

I would sell Tron..

#5 8 years ago

IM is nothing like Tron. But Spider-Man just can't be beat . It's not just one of Steve Ritchie's best. It's one of Lymans' best.

#6 8 years ago

IM and Tron are pretty similar in terms of rules. Avatar, Tron, and IM all have that "one ball" kind of gameplay. SM has more traditional modes.

#7 8 years ago

I recently traded a Tron and wound up with BSD and Spider-man. I would do that again in a heartbeat but I really miss Tron, if that makes sense..

Anyway, I would compare BSD to IM in the sense that you have simple but difficult goals. With a lot of One more game sessions.TRON is similar but much less brutal, IMO.

SM has a nice ruleset with various strategies/ decisions that you are presented within the gameplay. I really like how I can attack it several different ways. It can be set up fast and mean too if you don't want marathon games.

If I had Tron back and someone offered me the same deal I would do it again in a heartbeat. That said, I would also trade my BSD + cash for Tron without hesitation.

Tron would pair up with either game well but I would probably lean toward Tron and SM.

Hope all of that at least kind of helps

#8 8 years ago

Spiderman with the third flipper and venom ramp shot has a great layout and flows well. IM is awesome but bashing the Monger over and over tends to get repetitive for me. I love my Tron and If I had to choose between Spiderman and IM it would be Spiderman without hesitation.

#9 8 years ago

Sell Tron and buy both. Otherwise, SM

#10 8 years ago

Glad I asked for your thoughts--you all make some good points and I was not expecting SM to get the (so far overwhelming) nod over IM. May have to rethink this some...

And oh, Tron is not going anywhere!

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Glad I asked for your thoughts--you all make some good points and I was not expecting SM to get the (so far overwhelming) nod over IM. May have to rethink this some...

I think it's SM in this thread because IM and Tron's rulesets are almost the same. I like IM better than SM but for your situation I would also recommend SM over IM because of Tron. I actually like both of them more than Tron honestly.

#12 8 years ago

SM without a doubt. TRON and IM are both fast and furious with somewhat shallow code. SM has some of the best flow around and has a deep well thought out rule set. That's why I'd go with SM in this scenario.

#13 8 years ago

Tron & Roller Coaster Tycoon. There are no substitutes. oh wait wrong thread. Psh. Tron & IM

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

...I like IM better than SM but for your situation I would also recommend SM over IM because of Tron. I actually like both of them more than Tron honestly.

I'd bet a more than a few people would agree with you on this, but I am such a big Tron fan that is not an option. Theme well done is really important to me.

#15 8 years ago

I have IM right next to my Tron. Theoretically SM & Tron look like a better pair, as they're a little more different than Tron and IM. However - when I had all 3 lined up - I just *never* played Spider-Man anymore...my go-to-fast-flow-with-an-upper-flipper game would always default to Tron. And even though IM is similar to Tron - I haven't gotten bored of IM yet.

That being said - it took me like 4000+ games to finally get "bored" of SM, and part of that is that it was similar to other games I own that I played much more (AC/DC, etc)...so if you've never had one, it's an awesome game to own!

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have IM right next to my Tron. Theoretically SM & Tron look like a better pair, as they're a little more different than Tron and IM. However - when I had all 3 lined up - I just *never* played Spider-Man anymore...my go-to-fast-flow-with-an-upper-flipper game would always default to Tron. And even though IM is similar to Tron - I haven't gotten bored of IM yet.
That being said - it took me like 4000+ games to finally get "bored" of SM, and part of that is that it was similar to other games I own that I played much more (AC/DC, etc)...so if you've never had one, it's an awesome game to own!

Thanks RH, your thinking is much the same as mine before I started this thread. I really like SM the times I've played it, but I prefer the IM theme and think I'd like the quicker play of IM. I'm almost leaning towards getting whichever VE comes around (or back around--if that happens) first. I was so close to pulling the trigger on IMVE--didn't--missed the second run 'cause I was out of town and wasn't paying attention. If it happens again, I think I'm gonna have to do it...or wait for SMVE. Decisions, decisions...oh, brother.

#17 8 years ago

Iron Man. I can speak from Experience. Have Tron LE and sold Spiderman. Spiderman is a nice game to have in a line up. But, the callouts
go old to me. Game play was good, but not great. Not missing it. Got the Iron Man and love it. Fast game, great flow, monger is awesome. No regrets here.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Thanks RH, your thinking is much the same as mine before I started this thread. I really like SM the times I've played it, but I prefer the IM theme and think I'd like the quicker play of IM. I'm almost leaning towards getting whichever VE comes around (or back around--if that happens) first. I was so close to pulling the trigger on IMVE--didn't--missed the second run 'cause I was out of town and wasn't paying attention. If it happens again, I think I'm gonna have to do it...or wait for SMVE. Decisions, decisions...oh, brother.

The nice part of this "dilemma" is that you really can't lose either way. They're all excellent games!

#19 8 years ago

I would definintly say go for Spider-Man. IM is a great game and normally I would take it over Spider-Man, but because you already own Tron which is a fast drainer just like IM, I would get Spider-Man for the contrast between the games. IM is too similar to Tron in being fast and drainy.

#20 8 years ago

You all are not making this easy...

#21 8 years ago

Two of my absolute favorite games...not sure I could pick between them. I'm with Gorilla on this one...sell the Tron and buy them both. But if you do not want to do that, then you need to decide if you want something a bit similar since you know you like that style of game (IM), or if you want something that is a nice contrast (SM). Tough call, but if I were in your shoes I'd go SM for a longer playing, deeper game.

#22 8 years ago

SM is a better game than IM and Tron, it is one the best pinballs ever made.
Go Spidey go!

#23 8 years ago

Just get the Spidey VE when it comes out.....

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Just get the Spidey VE when it comes out.....

Just might!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

SM is a better game than IM and Tron, it is one the best pinballs ever made.

I'd disagree, but that's why they make so many flavors of ice cream.

#26 8 years ago

Having all three in my house right now, IM and Tron feel the most similar. Except that Tron has a third flipper,which I find to be much more to my liking. As time has gone on, Tron and SM get played regularly, while I am much less likely to power up IM. While all three are fantastic games and any pair is fun, if I were to sell one tomorrow, it would be IM.

#27 8 years ago

From a pairing perspective SM is a better compliment.... there are more similarities between Tron and IM than either have with SM.

#28 8 years ago

Here's a completely superficial observation: Tron has the 3rd flipper on the left while Spiderman has the 3rd flipper on the right. They would make a nice symmetry next to each other.

Yeah, I know, it's pretty stupid.

#29 8 years ago

Tron and Iron Man seam to have the same type of rules. Tron is more of a fun game to play for me but Iron Man has maby the best sound package ever.
You have Twilight Zone. Best game ever IMO!
Maby look at getting a TWD.
I voted Spider Man.

#30 8 years ago

Oh yeah, another thing to think about - Tron and SM both have the motorized 3-bank target. IM has the crazy kickback and the rising Iron Monger w/ magnet fight-back. Design-wise, Iron Man is quite different than Tron, actually.

#31 8 years ago

SM my vote here....have had TRONLE and Spidey for awhile......TRON is in your face, and ALWAYS raises my anxiety, even if I have a good ( but short) game...SM is a completely different feel...a very " non aggressive" layout, and you can relax, play the modes, and dig the flow.

Just recently added IM to the lineup, but only because of the shear brutality of it, knowing game times would likely be even shorter than TRON....wanted another ass kicker in the lineup.....

Sometimes you gotta fight, other times, just go w the flow.....get Spidey.....

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Thankfully, sanity prevails here....TRON is what it is....a total package, in a simple, brutal form, that is a must have imho

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh yeah, another thing to think about - Tron and SM both have the motorized 3-bank target. IM has the crazy kickback and the rising Iron Monger w/ magnet fight-back. Design-wise, Iron Man is quite different than Tron, actually.

You and I are pretty much on the same wavelength...

#34 8 years ago

Tron LE. Simply put, either you own it or you don't. Nuff said

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

TRON LE. Simply put, either you own it or you don't. Nuff said

A lot of truth in that statement...

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

A lot of truth in that statement...

yep...we're just trying to figure out what it means...

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

TRON LE. Simply put, either you own it or you don't. Nuff said

Tron (non-LE) is 95% the same for a lot less money.

#38 8 years ago

I love all three of those pins, but I wouldn't put IM or SM next to Tron. IM would be another ball buster, quick game style as Tron. SM adds variety with longer ball times but has so many similar elements it may feel to much the same. The third flipper both shooting for a side ramp and the moving three bank wall in the middle might get redundant.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I love all three of those pins, but I wouldn't put IM or SM next to Tron. IM would be another ball buster, quick game style as Tron. SM adds variety with longer ball times but has so many similar elements it may feel to much the same. The third flipper both shooting for a side ramp and the moving three bank wall in the middle might get redundant.

Some good points. Suggestions?

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Some good points. Suggestions?

Metallica or AC/DC! Fast flow, but way deeper/weirder rules.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Metallica or AC/DC! Fast flow, but way deeper/weirder rules.

Yeah, both great games and good choices, but they lose out on theme for me. I'm not a fan of Metallica and only a casual fan of the Band from Oz. Unfortunately I'm a theme whore, if the theme doesn't grab me the game has no chance of sitting in my game room.

#42 8 years ago

Like I said. Either you own a Tron LE or you don't. Also, you are wrong about the price. If you bought a Tron LE when they first came out, they were $5495.00 shipped to your door. The collect-ability of the game has just gone up due to the limited run of machines made.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 25.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-or-spider-man-to-pair-with-tron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.