Topic poll

“IM's price will tank, just wait a few months”

• MET pro all the way 31 votes
    44%
  • Save your money and buy stock in Amazon 6 votes
    8%
  • IM is worth the price! 36 votes
    51%

(Multiple choice - 71 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I recently got my ST Premium, and really wanted an Iron Man, but at the prices IM gets, ST was a fairly easy decision.

I kept thinking that IM will peak and head down in price, but not so far.

When I was assessing the ST, I also considered Metallica, I like the game but not so much the theme; so I got ST.

New Met Pro's are still about $500 -1000 less than IM's...sometimes the price difference is even greater. When an IM comes up at a reasonable price, it seems like it's gone within a day.

So now I'm back to thinking MET pro. Does anyone have a used Met Pro for sale, somewhere near NorCal?

Thanks.

Robert

#2 10 years ago

Good luck with the METpro...with all these updates coming you cannot go wrong by getting one!

#3 10 years ago

I would go with MET pro myself especially considering the awesome update that just dropped. That said if you are one that can't stand Metallicas music then this one may not be for you. I love the art layout and code integration myself. With HUO IM selling for like $6K you can save almost a few grand and get a great pin in MET. Not sure you're gonna find a nice IM in our area for much less than 6. You'd have to be lucky to get one for $5500 in our area and you'd have to move quick on it. IMO IM is not worth that much just not enough there. I know I saw a NIB MET pro listed on CL a while back.

#4 10 years ago

I have them side by side (IM and MetLE that is). And if I was gonna get rid of one I'd probably say goodbye to Met.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5 10 years ago

I have ST pro, Met pro, IM and other sterns. Wouldn't want to sell any of those 3

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I would go with MET pro myself especially considering the awesome update that just dropped. That said if you are one that can't stand Metallicas music then this one may not be for you. I love the art layout and code integration myself. With HUO IM selling for like $6K you can save almost a few grand and get a great pin in MET. Not sure you're gonna find a nice IM in our area for much less than 6. You'd have to be lucky to get one for $5500 in our area and you'd have to move quick on it. IMO IM is not worth that much just not enough there. I know I saw a NIB MET pro listed on CL a while back.

Yes, thanks for the update...6 k is a lot more than a MET pro.

Robert

#7 10 years ago

Robert....I own both. I bought my METPRO HUO for $3,700 and traded a NIB AC/DC premium (cost basis $6K) for an IM with some upgrades (speakers, whips, some Led's) and at the time I knew I paid near the top but wanted an IM. Funny thing is the AC/DC premiums are probably selling for less then a nice IM due to LUCI so I did alright.

With that being said, I have to agree with most posters. MET PRO especially with new code is the better choice (I don't believe you will save $3K but a good $1.5K-$2K is my guess......I have seen an occasional IM for $5.5K and most MET PRO's HUO are going for around $4K (which will probably be the new floor with the code update is my best guess).

Good luck to you.....if you can get both get both.....I am a huge fan of Stern games and recently have made most of my collection Stern games with my recent purchases over the last 2 weeks of Elvis, LOTR and POTC to go with IM, SM, X-MEN LE (which is an underrated game), MET PRO and AC/DC premium and my only older games being FH and TZ as my HS2 is going up for sale !!! Looking for a HULK LE this summer !!!! Newer games in my opinion are better if you are "mechanically challenged" .... less problems then most 20+++ year old games.

#8 10 years ago

Iron Man is my favorite game.

HOWEVER...

Metallica is a great game, and if you are wanting to buy something *right this instant*, it's a great option I think. I ADORE IM, and while I would tell you it's worth $5k, I can't name any machine I think is worth much more than that. $5k IM do show up, but it's rarer and they are generally stock. If you can get a Met Pro $4k to $4500ish (using your $500 to $1000 less theory, which I think is fair), I think for the likelihood of you getting something quicker that you're happy with, Met is the way to go.

#9 10 years ago

Yeah I agree as I love both MET and IM. I think Iron Man's rarity makes the price higher and for me personally, it's not worth that price. Metallica on the other hand you can still get NIB if I am not mistaken? I love it and with 1.51 already out and another decent update to come, it'll be a pretty awesome pin with some sweet code.

Still would love an IM though

#10 10 years ago

I have Tallica LE & Iron Man. Love them both,but there's no way I'd buy a music pin that I didn't like the band 100%. Same thing happend to me with ST. I hate Star Trek so no way I could own the game. That's just the way the world turns.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I recently got my ST Premium, and really wanted an Iron Man, but at the prices IM gets, ST was a fairly easy decision.
I kept thinking that IM will peak and head down in price, but not so far.
When I was assessing the ST, I also considered Metallica, I like the game but not so much the theme; so I got ST.
New Met Pro's are still about $500 -1000 less than IM's...sometimes the price difference is even greater. When an IM comes up at a reasonable price, it seems like it's gone within a day.
So now I'm back to thinking MET pro. Does anyone have a used Met Pro for sale, somewhere near NorCal?
Thanks.
Robert

Metallica is as close to an original theme as I think we will ever see from stern. There's nothing on the game that has much of anything to so with Metallica. It could be really easily rethemed to anything else. Just replace all the music with pinball browser to something you like. The playfield artwork doesn't have anything to do with band members. Snake, coffin, hammer, grave marker, sparky on election chair. Could be a generic execution / justice themed game very easily. The game is fantastic. Grab it and swap the music to something you love.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from genex:

Yeah I agree as I love both MET and IM. I think Iron Man's rarity makes the price higher and for me personally, it's not worth that price.

My feeling exactly, I played Cliffy's LE and it was pretty fun, even with the old code. I only played IM a couple of times at an arcade and found it very fun...but not worth $6K to me right now.

Quoted from goatdan:

I think for the likelihood of you getting something quicker that you're happy with, Met is the way to go.

I may just have to wait and see if an IM comes up for a reasonable price (eventually)...<$5K.

Robert

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Metallica is as close to an original theme as I think we will ever see from stern. There's nothing on the game that has much of anything to so with Metallica. It could be really easily rethemed to anything else. Just replace all the music with pinball browser to something you like. The playfield artwork doesn't have anything to do with band members. Snake, coffin, hammer, grave marker, sparky on election chair. Could be a generic execution / justice themed game very easily. The game is fantastic. Grab it and swap the music to something you love.

Sorry, you lost me.

Even if all the songs were swapped, the cabinet redone, and a new translite, seeing the word METALLICA, their names and faces with instruments on the playfield seems pretty theme specific.

#14 10 years ago

I just picked up a stock IM just under 5k with 2600 plays on it.
Its getting the royal treatment but that's beyond my point.

I have both Metallica pro and IM and I would say Metallica would leave first.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Sorry, you lost me.
Even if all the songs were swapped, the cabinet redone, and a new translite, seeing the word Metallica, their names and faces with instruments on the playfield seems pretty theme specific.

Agreed

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It could be really easily rethemed to anything else. Just replace all the music with pinball browser to something you like

Can't agree with this. Let's leave aside the giant METALLICA letters all over the place, the songs are super integrated into the game now, every code update makes the idea of just swapping them out for something else less and less practical. If you don't like the music don't buy the pin is my advice.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I just picked up a stock IM just under 5k with 2600 plays on it.
Its getting the royal treatment but that's beyond my point.
I have both Metallica pro and IM and I would say Metallica would leave first.

I just paid 5k for mine and it had 2800 plays. How much under 5 did yours cost?

#18 10 years ago

Had a hard time selling an IM @ $5500 just a month or 2 ago. Tourney kit, shaker, lollipop side rails, LEDs, HUO and under 500 plays.

Ended up taking $5300 for it. Theyre out there if your patient

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I just paid 5k for mine and it had 2800 plays. How much under 5 did yours cost?

4850 shipped. I have since added 1200 in parts to make it mine. So if you get a deal like iwantansi that was a deal.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

added 1200 in parts

Cripes. Where's that all go? Powder-coated trim, new figures, and ... ?

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Had a hard time selling an IM @ $5500 just a month or 2 ago. Tourney kit, shaker, lollipop side rails, LEDs, HUO and under 500 plays.

Yep. I had the opportunity to buy a HUO IM here in SoCal in December for $5100.00. I walked away from the deal because I had just got STLE, and MET premium 2 months before that, and didn't have another pin I wanted to move at the time.

Now that I am ready for one, I can't find one at that price.

Timing is everything.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Timing is everything.

Can never be repeated enough times!

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Cripes. Where's that all go? Powder-coated trim, new figures, and ... ?

FF speakers
FF Shaker
FF back box lighting
PBL / CT LEDS
Powder coat from Buddy Gio
Metal apron and custom art work LE style - my mod.
Full figure set - again my mods
Minor shop out and rebuild flippers
Gold flipper buttons - flippers and brass trim and levelers
Cliffy kick out protectors
New magnets and mylar dots
Pinbits plastic protectors
that's all I can think of off top of my head more like $1300 lol.
Didn't count my nos plastic set $200 I did not use.

Still working on IM pop caps - my mod.

#24 10 years ago

oops double post.

Just adding stern coil stops and links for flippers only good for 3k plays max before the mushroom starts.

#25 10 years ago

I dont see the atraction to IM other than its a brutal pin. It was built during the cheaper budget years of Stern. Long ramps have to be hit perfectly. I do like the music of IM.

At this point a NIB Met Pro with FF speaker upgrade and shaker would be my choice.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

I dont see the atraction to IM other than its a brutal pin. It was built during the cheaper budget years of Stern. Long ramps have to be hit perfectly. I do like the music of IM.
At this point a NIB Met Pro with FF speaker upgrade and shaker would be my choice.

I don't think either ramp on IM is harder to hit than the left ramp on MET

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Agree!

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I agree as well but I must say I love the placement and challenge of hitting it consistently. I'd prefer that to a wide open shot that's tough to miss like the ST left ramp.

#29 10 years ago

I agree as well but I must say I love the placement and challenge of hitting it consistently. I'd prefer that to a wide open shot that's tough to miss like the ST left ramp.

Yep, I agree. I wasn't complaining!

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

FF speakers
FF Shaker
FF back box lighting
PBL / CT LEDS
Powder coat from Buddy Gio
Metal apron and custom art work LE style - my mod.
Full figure set - again my mods
Minor shop out and rebuild flippers
Gold flipper buttons - flippers and brass trim and levelers
Cliffy kick out protectors
New magnets and mylar dots
Pinbits plastic protectors
that's all I can think of off top of my head more like $1300 lol.
Didn't count my nos plastic set $200 I did not use.
Still working on IM pop caps - my mod.

This may not be the appropriate thread but I know Id love to see a before and after picture of your mods. You are kind of the "expert" when it comes to IM mods IMHO. So uh pics or it didnt happen....

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Everything's cheaper in Mexico...

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

if you put in any effort at all to sell a $5500 IM it would sell very quickly up where MrSanRamon and I live. I haven't seen one listed for less than $6000 in the past 6 months. May have sold for under that but doubt many if any sold for $5500. Got to consider location guys.

#33 10 years ago

if you put in any effort at all to sell a $5500 IM it would sell very quickly up where MrSanRamon and I live. I haven't seen one listed for less than $6000 in the past 6 months. May have sold for under that but doubt many if any sold for $5500. Got to consider location guys.

The one that I could have bought in December, HUO, for $5100.00 was actually listed on Ebay for $5500.00 and it was up for 5 days.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The one that I could have bought in December, HUO, for $5100.00 was actually listed on Ebay for $5500.00 and it was up for 5 days.

We'll then I guess I was wrong about what they go for. Not the first time nor the last. I just haven't seen any up for sale in this area that started out at a price that reasonable. $5100 is not bad does seem like it's popularity has grown a lot in the past year or two.

#35 10 years ago

We'll then I guess I was wrong about what they go for. Not the first time nor the last. I just haven't seen any up for sale in this area that started out at a price that reasonable. $5100 is not bad does seem like it's popularity has grown a lot in the past year or two.

Like I've said a million times, timing is everything. That was a really good deal on that IM. I wish I went forward with the deal, but the timing was bad for me. Now that I want one, I can't find anything at that price.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Like I've said a million times, timing is everything.

Yup. I would have bought Lisa's Metallica Prem when she was letting it go cheap, I had the cash, but at the time I didn't know the new code would convince me to get over my hammer hate, I was looking for a Pro instead. I knew the code was coming, I had the money, but it was still a case of bad timing. You never know! You can't kick yourself over it too much, it's gonna happen again and again, it's inevitable in this hobby.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I have them side by side (IM and MetLE that is). And if I was gonna get rid of one I'd probably say goodbye to Met.

image.jpg 129 KB

I have them both together also
I couldn't part with either and was thinking of adding st prem or acdc prem

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

I have them both together also
I couldn't part with either and was thinking of adding st prem or acdc prem

Buy a ACDC premium, wait to see how the ST code works out. ACDC is already Sterns best effort.

#39 10 years ago

I'm much happier with 1.51 over 1.50 (it's the little things)

I don't understand how people can praise IM and shun Avatar, it is a very similar style of game, and thousands less than IM.

Met pro is the way to go. It's starting to polish nicely.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I'm much happier with 1.51 over 1.50 (it's the little things)
I don't understand how people can praise IM and shun Avatar, it is a very similar style of game, and thousands less than IM.
Met pro is the way to go. It's starting to polish nicely.

One thing is the SFX are a ton better on IM then Avatar & going for Do or Die is better then anything Avatar has to offer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 29.95
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 24.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-metallica and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.