Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinballled.JPG
#1 12 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to pinballs and I'm not very familiar with installing stuff on it, for example I have the Shaker Motor now for a month and I don't know how to install it, even with the 2 page manual, I find it little difficult !

I'm planning to get the Iron Man led kit from marcospecialties, how hard is that to install, I tried to find a manual or a tutorial somewhere but nothing.

any advice?

Thanks!

#2 12 years ago

Fitst off. Get your led kit from Cointaker.com. Even though they both come from Cointaker, Marco has them but I found some of them are older kits and not as good as the ones I get from Cointaker.com. Pinsiders get a discount at cointaker. Just type PINSIDE in caps at checkout in the coupon code.

You will need a 1/4" magnetic nut driver.

Start with the GI ( General Illumination) lights. These normally run up each side and under the sling shots and return lanes. Do these with the power off.

Then do the inserts. The kit comes with a list. Put the machine in the single lamp test and lift the playfield up. Cycle through each lamp and replace them with the led's on the list. The list is in order as you cycle through each lamp.

Then do the flashers. Put the machine in the coil/flasher test and cycle through each one and replace them with flashers. Don't forget the ones in the back box. I'm not sure on Iron Man but I think the coin door must be closed for the coils/flashers to work in the test.

Then do the back box GI lights.

It's good to have the manuel with you to find the locations of bulbs or flashers that are blown. The number of the bulb or flasher will be listed on the DMD during the test.

Then after your done...look it over. Then you can add accent lights with color in the GI as most kits come with just white for the GI....I like to add some colored led's under ramps and plastics to give the game a little more color. You can also change white insers to any color led you want.

Have fun with it. Good luck. Show some pics when your done.

#3 12 years ago

hi wesperron,

thanks a lot, I'll go for it, I'll be able to do that after 2 weeks ~, how long does this usually take, couple of hours maybe?

thanks !

#4 12 years ago

Actually more like 3. If not more.

Also some of the playfield lights under the pop bumpers caps and other areas can be tough to get at on some machines. Sometimes it requires the removal of a ramp. so times can vary quite a bit from pin to pin.

When your done your pin will look great.

#5 12 years ago

Regarding the shaker and IM, it really is an easy install. I think once you start working on it, you'll realize that it is no big deal. The only confusing thing I found during my install is that the cabinet wire colors referred to on my instructions were wrong. I don't know if the problem was my instructions, or if my game was wired with different colored wire. But, there weren't any other connectors that would possibly work, so it was pretty obvious which ones I needed to hook up.

If you need any help or guidance with the shaker, just ask. I'll double check and take pictures if needed.

Regarding LEDs, as Wes stated, order direct from Cointaker and use the Pinside discount. If you can change a light bulb, you can put in LEDs.

#6 12 years ago

Hi Stan,

I just ordered the kit from cointaker

I'll start working with LED and when Im done I'll do the Shaker installation, if I faced any problems I'll let you know for sure !

Thanks again guys for the help!!

#7 12 years ago

Installing the shaker motor really is quite easy. Don't forget that you can use the paper instructions sheet as a template for drilling. The sheet has one diagonal edge. If you fold or cut this then you can place the sheet in your machine with the diagonal edge fitting nicely in the top left corner. Now mark the four holes with a sharpie, remove the sheet and you're set for drilling!

#8 12 years ago

LED kits are not the way to go. Ive learned this the hard way. Once you get your pin take a look under the play field & see what you need then order the LED's individually from either Pinball life or Cointaker. You'll save money this way & its nice to try different LED's to see what you like best.

2 weeks later
#9 12 years ago

Just finished installing the LED, looks great, I might change the top left corner lights, they are white, I think blue or other color will look better. Also I noticed there are some bulbs n the top, just under the backbox, just noticed that from the pic lol do these need change ?

here is a pic, taken from my mobile

pinballled.JPGpinballled.JPG

#10 12 years ago

Just push those bulbs in (the ones under the back box) and turn it a bit. They will pop right out.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from BinGhanem:

Also I noticed there are some bulbs n the top, just under the backbox, just noticed that from the pic lol do these need change

Looks great so far! The bulbs just below the backbox don't have to be changed, but you should swap them for some LEDs preferably colored ones. I'm not sure what Cointaker kit you got, but if it is anything like my LOTR kit it should have come with some bulbs to swap those out with.

On LOTR the bulbs below the backbox are plain jane incandescent bulbs. After putting the LEDs in I now have 5 red LEDs and 3 purple LEDs in place of them. Adding color there made a big difference. Looks way better in my opinion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-led and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.