Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by yuriijos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So I just played 13 games of IM VE at a pub. 12 I paid for ($20) and one replay (set at 19m - I got 55m). I walked away feeling dissatisfied and frustrated. It is a constant battle to keep the ball in play - as soon as it's on the slingshots the risk of it draining down the outlines is very high. Yes this can be mitigated by skilful nudging, but gee this gets tiring after a while. And are my kids gonna ever be able to nudge it meaningfully? My forearms are killing me. I play pinball for stress relief and fun, and this game stresses me to the schizen. Then there's the random factor. Now all pinballs have a random element to them - I get that. But when you whack the war monger and time and time again he shots the ball down the outlanes or straight down the frigging middle - that's not fun. And he's a big part if the game. Then there's whiplash - SDTFM off the magnet. About the only fun parts of the machine are war machine and getting some stacked multiballs going. But these don't last too long anyway.
I'm an average player, high score on IJ is 3b so I can play. But 12 games averaging around 5-6m on IM made me look pathetic.
Now as an owned game it's probably a different story - you can narrow the outlanes and make other adjustments to suit your skill level and you don't have to keep pumping cash in for short ball times. But as an on location game, IM sucks!

#2 5 years ago

Sounds like an operators dream pin..

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

But as an on location game, IM sucks!

A lot of people think that IM sucks, it's a real love it or hate it type of game. You probably wouldn't like it any more in your basement, it's still mean as can be.

But... those of us that like it, there is nothing better.

#4 5 years ago

Funny,
played an IM on location today, I love it, its a buttkicker, but having to figure out high probability shots vs unsafe shots is somthing I like. and I played several games, got it handed to me several times, drilled it a few times, made the Johnny Mnemonic in the same space seem like childs play to me really... IM is awesome, wish I owned one...

#5 5 years ago

I wish I could find one on location!

#6 5 years ago

I try to hit monger with glacing blows on the sides as straight on shots can cause SDTM drains..
I have to admit you had me grinning with your IM induced forearm pump

#7 5 years ago

Ironman is freaking awesome for the reasons you are upset! Why do games have to be easy? Or deep rules? Or long ball times? I'm in the fast, furious, and low depth game camp ! I don't want a 20 - 30 minute game and I don't want to study a book to figure out how to play. I feel like too many games loose some fun factor because of this. Ironman is a great game and I will own another one someday.

#8 5 years ago

^^^ Say's the guy with a LOTR..

#9 5 years ago

Actually my LOTR is barely played because of that, Rings would be the perfect game if it wasn't a minimum of 10 minutes to play. I actually rarely play it. However I love the theme and the shots are awesome! Most deep pins loose my interest fast. RBION and TSPP are two examples

#10 5 years ago

sounds a lot like my take on TWDLE.
man that thing pisses me off.

#11 5 years ago

They have one on location where I work. I don't really care for it much.

#12 5 years ago

dluth ,,, IM VE Kick Yr Azzz huh ,, LOL !!! ,,, I've Never play'd 1 on location either , but from the way U say it handled and play'd ,, the Op has it Set up Just rite .. I play my VE everyday and Most of the Tyme it show's Me who's Boss .. Once in a While ,, I Stomp it's Azz tho ... Iron Man Rules !!

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

Ironman is freaking awesome for the reasons you are upset! Why do games have to be easy? Or deep rules? Or long ball times? I'm in the fast, furious, and low depth game camp ! I don't want a 20 - 30 minute game and I don't want to study a book to figure out how to play. I feel like too many games loose some fun factor because of this. Ironman is a great game and I will own another one someday.

Yeah but when it costs like $5 for 3 games - well that's 33c a ball and sometimes I only got to enjoy those balls for a minute. And extra balls are as rare as hen's teeth. Pretty hard on the wallet.
The great thing about pinball though is what one person hates, another loves and there are games out there for all tastes.

#14 5 years ago

Iron Man is the game I learned how to play pinball on. I didn't realize at the time that people thought it was any harder than any other table, because I sucked equally at all of them. I love it now. I don't think it's as hard as people make it out to be - make safe shots, nudge, and you should be fine.

#15 5 years ago

Top 5 game of all time IMHO.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Top 5 game of all time IMHO.

What Mike said......

#17 5 years ago

I find most location games, especially in my area, pretty lackluster. Im always hesitant to drop coins in.

Nothing like playing a freshly waxed game with the switches all properly adjusted. Level games is always an issue to on location.

Working on this tonight, just gave spiderman a quick wax/rubber clean/slingshot switch adjustment.... on to TRON...

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I play my VE everyday and Most of the Tyme it show's Me who's Boss .. Once in a While ,, I Stomp it's Azz tho ... Iron Man Rules !

Here's my 7yr old play-n my VE

#19 5 years ago

Just played on location, got 84 million on one credit, left an earned credit for the next player.

#20 5 years ago

TRON done, on to AC/DC...Holy crap Spidey and TRON play wicked.....

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Yeah but when it costs like $5 for 3 games - well that's 33c a ball and sometimes I only got to enjoy those balls for a minute. And extra balls are as rare as hen's teeth. Pretty hard on the wallet.
The great thing about pinball though is what one person hates, another loves and there are games out there for all tastes.

IM was built during a brief period in Stern's history when they tried to shorten ball times and virtually eliminate extra balls. They did this because operators were complaining about long game times. Well, it worked. IM and BBH typically had short ball times on location. A medium to loose tilt and/or lack of pitch was the only hope for a location player. The thing that kept you coming back was that it's a one ball game. You can get to DOD and Jericho in one ball. If you got 55M, I'm guessing you got to Jericho. After only 13 games, that's not bad. Read up on the rules and give it another shot. I try to progress war machine slightly faster than whiplash, start war machine, then bring in (stack) whiplash.

Quoted from centerflank:

I find most location games, especially in my area, pretty lackluster. Im always hesitant to drop coins in.

Have you ever considered putting one or two of your games out? If the competition is trash, you'll be the best operator in town.

Quoted from centerflank:

Nothing like playing a freshly waxed game with the switches all properly adjusted.

Waxing an IM won't make getting a replay easier. He's talking about a location game anyway. Not sure how he's going to wax it or adjust the switches.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Have you ever considered putting one or two of your games out? If the competition is trash, you'll be the best operator in town.

Ive discussed it with a few local businesses and they were quite wishy washy....

Quoted from phishrace:

Waxing an IM won't make getting a replay easier.

Maybe not but its way more fun!

I seriously would out a few of my games on route, no issues on my end. It would just need to be within a few minutes drive to address ball stuck issues or whatever.......hoping to open a Brewery/pinball house with TrilogyBeer in the future....

#23 5 years ago

I think IM is better to play on route than to own. Rules are to shallow for a home environment. but a great location pin. Fast, simple enough rules that you can actually see the ending when paying for games. Great location game.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I thought so as well, but when I had mine out, it didn't earn. People got frustrated because it was so tough. Not much repeat business.

I even adjusted it to make it easier. Still no love.

I personally loved it. A VE may come home soon(ish).

#25 5 years ago

IM is amazing and brutal...

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Well if a game is frustrating, people aren't going to keep paying to play it. So not really.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Well if a game is frustrating, people aren't going to keep paying to play it. So not really.

Except...I have to go back next week to kick it's arse - I'm not going to let it beat me!!!

#28 5 years ago

I have played IM only several times and actually had a decent game even though I didn't know what I was doing. It is not a game for me to own, but will play given the chance . I have a higher pecking list of pins to own.

I have Pin Bot and it will kick my butt but every once in a while it is kind and I get a high score and get close to the Sun. If I need a longer playing time game I play Roadshow with 5 balls. I like the variety.

#29 5 years ago

IM is a frustrating, fast, he'll on wheels kind of game that isn't for the faint hearted.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

#30 5 years ago

I feel your pain. Luckily the one I played on location was set to 5 ball.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Here's my 7yr old play-n my VE
» YouTube video

Confirmation that your 7-yr old doesn't suffer from light induced seizure disorders!

#32 5 years ago

Agree with OP,they had one up the street next to BDK,and I gravitated away from IM every time for the same reason. Now both are gone and an Avatar sits there instead

#33 5 years ago

IM is great at home or in the wild...

#34 5 years ago

If I had an IM on location, I'd set it on 3-ball with an extra ball at 20M, and with the outlanes closed down.

#35 5 years ago

i used to play it in a bar in atlanta, Ornsby's. it really wasn't great as a location pin.
games played too quick.

#36 5 years ago

If I had it in a location where it was the only machine, I would set it to 5 ball. People need to feel like they are getting some value for their money.

#37 5 years ago

I've been debating bringing the VE in, just because it is so brutal. Who knows, maybe IM could finally replace Eight Ball as my "kick in the nutsack" game.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

If I had it in a location where it was the only machine, I would set it to 5 ball. People need to feel like they are getting some value for their money.

I had it on 3 ball at home and the game length was way too short for my kids, almost always under 5 minutes a game. I had no choice but to change it to 5 balls. Now they like it a lot better.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think IM is better to play on route than to own. Rules are to shallow for a home environment. but a great location pin. Fast, simple enough rules that you can actually see the ending when paying for games. Great location game.

Disagree. I have owned mine for 3 years and it is the pin I play the most. Keeps me coming back - I enjoy the frustration. Although, after 3 years I can now work up some pretty good games. My LOTR by comparison just sits there unloved - epic game but you need a long stretch of "time" to play it and really enjoy it.

As for anyone paying $5 for 3 plays or $20 for 13 plays - Yikes, I agree that is a very excessive price/game. I wouldn't play at those prices. With the short ball times it should be priced at a more reasonable 3 games for $2. I know that the 2 IMs of which I know on location still do very well. Kids love the theme but don't play more than 1 or 2 games because of the short ball times.

Different strokes for different folks!

#40 5 years ago

Iron Man is the great equalizer. It can kick anyone's ass. And anyone can beat you when playing head to head. That's what I like about it.

There is randomness to it, but it can be minimized by how you play the game.

As for it sucking on location, I've had one on location for 2.5 years and it still pulls in more quarters than anything else. If people didn't like it, I don't think they'd play it so much. But it isn't for everyone, that's for sure.

If you don't like short ball times, be glad you aren't playing 2" flipper games from the 60s and earlier!

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Maybe for the first few weeks.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Except...I have to go back next week to kick it's arse - I'm not going to let it beat me!!!

Attaboy. Make that sucker pay. Bring it to it's knees.

All IM's deserve to be treated that way. Every last one of them.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Iron Man is the great equalizer. It can kick anyone's ass. And anyone can beat you when playing head to head. That's what I like about it.
There is randomness to it, but it can be minimized by how you play the game.
As for it sucking on location, I've had one on location for 2.5 years and it still pulls in more quarters than anything else. If people didn't like it, I don't think they'd play it so much. But it isn't for everyone, that's for sure.
If you don't like short ball times, be glad you aren't playing 2" flipper games from the 60s and earlier!

On the other hand, if you like short ball times with randomness that can be minimized by how you play the game, you will probably enjoy EMs or many of the games from the 80's.

#44 5 years ago

Actually i think Iron Man is a good bar game. Bad home game. Not much to it, would get old quick.

Fun and fast at a location.

#45 5 years ago

I don't know what your talking about, it's a great pin wherever you are. Most pins were designed to make money imagine that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside