• Latest reply 9 years ago by blondetall
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140708_241006_450.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

The next time someone hears of me buying a "restored" flood damaged pin, please smack me.

First I get shipping damage...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-damage-what-to-do

Then I find numerous little parts missing and a malfunctioning switch or 5.

Then a hacked ramp (switch cut out and moved to other side...)

All of which had me completely disappointed, but I was still playing the snot out of it.

Then this tonight.
IMG_20140708_241006_450.jpgIMG_20140708_241006_450.jpg

And of course I bought it a day or two before the remake. I feel like setting fire to it and placing an IMVE order!

#2 9 years ago

did you see it in person before you bought it?

#3 9 years ago

Something similar happened to me with a Tales From The Crypt...bought it an auction. It looked liked it was in good condition, just the right flipper was weak. This thing was soo hacked up, I was almost sick to my stomach. Hopefully, you didn't lose your shirt on this deal. Best of luck getting it fixed up.

#4 9 years ago

Wow.....chalk that up as a lesson learned. Sorry to hear. Cut your losses and pick up a nib IMVE. You'll have zero regrets!!!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

did you see it in person before you bought it?

Nope! This was my fist time to buy used pins and have them shipped, but lesson learned. Everyone has their own view of "restored" and all the other adjectives used, and rarely have those coincided with mine so I should have known better, just thought I could live with a few imperfections given the lower than normal (at the time) price.

I didn't even describe the other pin that I bought with it to take advantage of 2 for 1 shipping. It has been out of commission for all but 1 evening- but it was cheap, and I didn't expect it to be solid even though it was "fully operational".

Of all the pins I've bought this has been the worst experience by far - so again - I don't expect I'll ever ship one in again unless I know the person and have seen their work to know how to judge.

Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Wow.....chalk that up as a lesson learned. Sorry to hear. Cut your losses and pick up a nib IMVE. You'll have zero regrets!!!

Oh I just might!

#6 9 years ago

That sucks dude I am so sorry! I only had one game shipped but it was from a fellow pinsider and I couldn't be happier.

#7 9 years ago

rules to live by....never buy anything you can't see and play first. Only way not to get screwed.

#8 9 years ago

Unfortunately that is what happens when the magnet core mushrooms and cuts into the wood. My Spider-Man has similar damage. You should pull the magnet cores periodically and sand the sides down in the future. Good thing is new playfields for IM will be available so you could purchase one and swap it in. If that were mine I would buy a new playfield, send it off to get a nice clear coat applied and swap it.

#9 9 years ago

When it rains, it pours.

IMO, cut your losses. Get max settlement from STI, get a good quote and pocket the money. Do your best to get IM functioning correctly, clean it up, list it accurately and sell it on Ebay auction style.

Order IMVE for $4800 shipped or whatever you can get it for and call it a day. In the long run you will be much happier IMO.

That sucks man, hope everything turns out alright.

#10 9 years ago

I always put a large circle of mylar over the magnets (and the wood around it)
you can't see it and its very good for your playfield...

#11 9 years ago

why is absolut no space between the magnet and the Wood ?!?!

a bis sheet of mylar is the only Thing ehat makes sense or a complete airbrush pro Restauration

#12 9 years ago

How much did you pay for that?

#13 9 years ago

Was that the one that was flood damaged and picked up at Allentown???

#14 9 years ago

Someone could scan their playfield and make a decal of that area. It would be the same size as the Mylar circle, just with the art included.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I always put a large circle of mylar over the magnets (and the wood around it)
you can't see it and its very good for your playfield...

Mylar won't protect anything when the core mushrooms unfortunately, the only prevention is maintenance.

#16 9 years ago

"restored" flood damaged pin. What? that sound like a problem right from the get go. I saw a IM on pinside not to long ago that said "Restored water damaged pin" I laughed out loud because unless it's a new cabinet and there is "NO" water damage to the play field it can't be "called restored". forget the water if there is any damage to the play field it can't be called restored IMO. Terms used by people in pinball is like sex without a rubber. It's a gamble! I have been burnt 3 times this way with HUO, Restored. Heck I bought a game for 9K once from a guy called "Restored' the new decals were peeling off, Someone tried to do a restore on it with spare part. Heck the post and lanes didn't even match. (Green lane top with Orange w/post) Either that or someone has really bad taste. There were wires under the cabinet that were added and went no where, Mods that were rigged in the machine.
I bought it after someone said, this guy has some of the nicest games out there. Way over paid! Come to find out this guy out sourced all his work and I think he has no clue that his tech is screwing him. So, if your picky as heck or OCD like me. Then look at the cabinet in person. I am think of flying out to look at games that are 5K or better. Heck a round trip ticket could save me hundreds and thousands of dollars. However "restored" flood damaged pin? I'll be staying home for that one.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

"restored" flood damaged pin. What? that sound like a problem right from the get go. I saw a IM on pinside not to long ago that said "Restored water damaged pin" I laughed out loud because unless it's a new cabinet and there is "NO" water damage to the play field it can't be "called restored". forget the water if there is any damage to the play field it can't be called restored IMO. Terms used by people in pinball is like sex without a rubber. It's a gamble! I have been burnt 3 times this way with HUO, Restored. Heck I bought a game for 9K once from a guy called "Restored' the new decals were peeling off, there were wires under the cabinet that were added and went no where, I bought it after someone said this guy has some of the nicest games out there. Way over paid! Come to find out this guy out sourced all his work and I think he has no clue that his tech is screwing him. So, if your picky as heck or OCD like me. Then look at the cabinet in person. I am think of flying out to look at games that are 5K or better. Heck a round trip ticket could save me hundreds and thousands of dollars. However "restored" flood damaged pin? I'll be staying home for that one.

You got burned three times buying water damaged games or for having sex without a rubber?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

You got burned three times buying water damaged games or for having sex without a rubber?

Yes TigarLaw that's it. Make sure next time I see you to slap you.

#19 9 years ago

Get a white, yellow, red & black fine tip paint marker & some Mylar. Maybe put down a thin coat of cured clear on the area before the touch up. As previously mentioned sand down or replace the core too.

Also, that could have happened to any IM regardless of its history.

Get the cash from STI. Fill in the damage on the cab, touch it up the best you can with paint, tidy up the PF & just play the game man. You won't see the cab when it's next to other machines, you won't see the PF wear when all kinds of kick ass stuff is happening during play & you won't have to part with the insurance money.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be irritated btw.

#20 9 years ago

If you are gonna burn that Iron Man, I'll come get it instead.

#21 9 years ago

Sorry to hear your purchase went south,when you got it in your home. If it works well put that baby on route. I would play it.

#22 9 years ago

Actually the shipping damage on this guy might help ya. I'm gonna guess about $1500 to purchase and change the cab with labor.

Touch up that magnet wear and sell the turd for $2500ish.

Throw in $700 and get a new one dropped off at your house.

#23 9 years ago

Pro - You played the sh*t out of it which seams like most of the problems are cosmetic now. Just trying to give you somthing positive to think about.

I really feel for you. I did the same thing and bought my BOP and Batman DE sight unseen. Was my first pinball purchase and I WAY overpaid for what I got. Both play great but just have some cosmetic challenges. Still have fun with them at least and as long as I don't think about how much $$$ I spent I'm happy.

I'm sure you've got it all covered but if you need another set of hands let me know and I'll see if I can help you get that cleaned up. I'm pretty confident we can make a nice decal to cover that area so it wont stick out so bad. If you can't get new decals for the cab I'm pretty sure I can get some made as well. We'll just need some real good picks, I could stitch them together in PS, clean them up and then we can send them off to be printed.

Lastly, if you do decide to ditch the game, let me know. I'm never one to steer clear of a fixer upper as long as the price is right. Need a couple months to rebuild my pinball fund and would of course need the wife blessing first though

#24 9 years ago

Did someone on Pinside sell you these games? I don't know about the damage around the magnet area, but it sounds like you were grossly oversold and the condition of the game doesn't match what was described. Hacks, parts missing, switch errors, on a "restored" game?

If this was sold here, please let us know who it was.

Quoted from btw75:

The next time someone hears of me buying a "restored" flood damaged pin, please smack me.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Did someone on Pinside sell you these games?
If this was sold here, please let us know who it was.

was it this one?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtt-iron-man-for-xmen-le-or-transformer-le

#26 9 years ago

No desire to throw a seller under the bus right now, I feel like most of this is on me - I could have done way more diligence in the purchasing process to uncover the hacks and some of the parts. Honestly I felt that I was getting a good enough deal to absorb some issues, given that the IMVE had not been announced and I can't hold the seller responsible for the Vault Edition and subsequent value drop of the title.

#28 9 years ago

I would really appreciate a scan of the magnet area so I can take advantage of 85vett's offer of helping me create a Mylar so I can at least cover up the playfield damage.

This playfield really will look ok if I take the time to give it a thorough cleaning- as there is still tons of flood dirt on it synced it appears everything wasn't taken off the top - just some stuff removed and the rest cleaned around.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

If it works well put that baby on route. I would play it.

This !

#30 9 years ago

Buying sight unseen makes me nauseous...literally. I've been burned before as well and it sucks. I would do as others here advised. Get the most you can from the claim, fix up the game the best you can without dropping too much more into it, and then list it detailing the flaws. You will take a loss (consider it a the cost of an education) but, once you have that IMVE in your home, you'll quickly get over it. Looking at your current game is going to be a constant reminder that you took it in the rear pipe.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Buying sight unseen makes me nauseous.

did it once, got screwed on description but price was appropriate for condition. thought i had a steal, got what i paid for.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I would really appreciate a scan of the magnet area so I can take advantage of 85vett's offer of helping me create a Mylar so I can at least cover up the playfield damage.
This playfield really will look ok if I take the time to give it a thorough cleaning- as there is still tons of flood dirt on it synced it appears everything wasn't taken off the top - just some stuff removed and the rest cleaned around.

Scan would be awesome. If you don't get one, I'll take my SLR to our buddy's house, that has a real nice version of this game, next time I head that way and take some good picks of that area. His machine is real nice. Scan would help a lot more as sizing would be correct but worst case I'm pretty confident I can get it done just with some good picks.

#33 9 years ago

The wood shouldn't be that tight around the magnet hole, that's what she said.

It might be more water damaged than you think!

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The wood shouldn't be that tight around the magnet hole, that's what she said.

Thanks for the laugh!

Quoted from benheck:

It might be more water damaged than you think!

I was thinking this last night - why on earth, if most of us would never use something water based to clean out playfields, would we expect a playfield to be ok after being submerged, even if only momentarily?

There have been folks who have said it before - if it is a really good deal a local person would have picked it up first. I'm guessing that holds true except in the cases of rarity.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The wood shouldn't be that tight around the magnet hole

yes, the wood is fully engorged.

sorry, btw75. that really sucks, i feel for ya!

#36 9 years ago

How does the monger's cover fit? Should be recessed in that grove that is cut out. How about the monger magnet? It's possible the wood swole (is that even a word?) up a bit. From the pick it does look like just the magnet mushroom though. I'm guessing the monger magnet looks about the same. Will be a PITA but you may want to remove both of those magnet cores and clean them up before the same happens in front of the monger.

Been thinking a little bit and another option would be to get this game playing solid and then work a deal with a local restaurant or store and put it on route. I'd kind of like to have it in my game room myself but if you have the time and desire you may be able to cut some of your losses by letting it earn some money on route. It's not a nice enough game at this point to worry about the cosmetic damage a route game gets and I've heard these hold up well. You're like me and like to tinker on these things (thus why I show interest in it) but I also think you like to work on the older titles more.

Think it's sit down time to think about what you want out of the game and then proceed from there so you don't waste money fixing up/restoring something you may never be happy with. We'll get that PF looking nice again though.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

yes, the wood is fully engorged.

Snicker snicker...

#38 9 years ago

No, I'm sorry, I adamantly disagree with you. Sure, as a buyer you can do things to help the seller. But when you advertise a game as "restored" and it's not perfect, let alone, hacks, broken switches and parts missing, you were just flat out lied to.

Also, throwing someone under the bus implies you are doing so to "get ahead" or for reasons to benefit yourself. Letting people know who bad sellers are is the opposite of that.

There is just too much of this crap on Pinside IMO, I'll drop it now. I think you got taken advantage of though. When I buy a game, I expect it to be as described. I do have a tolerance for things not being exactly correct, but this isn't that.

Even if the seller wasn't bad, as long as your review of the transaction was honest and factual, that could NEVER be a bad thing.

Quoted from btw75:

No desire to throw a seller under the bus right now, I feel like most of this is on me - I could have done way more diligence in the purchasing process to uncover the hacks and some of the parts.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

No, I'm sorry, I adamantly disagree with you. Sure, as a buyer you can do things to help the seller. But when you advertise a game as "restored" and it's not perfect, let alone, hacks, broken switches and parts missing, you were just flat out lied to.
Also, throwing someone under the bus implies you are doing so to "get ahead" or for reasons to benefit yourself. Letting people know who bad sellers are is the opposite of that.
There is just too much of this crap on Pinside IMO, I'll drop it now. I think you got taken advantage of though. When I buy a game, I expect it to be as described. I do have a tolerance for things not being exactly correct, but this isn't that.
Even if the seller wasn't bad, as long as your review of the transaction was honest and factual, that could NEVER be a bad thing.

I hear you and thought long and hard about it. My feeling is that we don't have an accepted rating methodology/system and we've had way too many pitchfork wielding mob threads lately which don't end up be quite fair.

#40 9 years ago

If the cabinet is acceptable, I'd buy a NOS playfield and swap it in. IM has to be one of the easiest games to swap. I know a guy who's selling a new playfield if you need one. I feel your pain about the IM remake timing, that had to be a kick in the gut.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

we've had way too many pitchfork wielding mob threads lately

#42 9 years ago

That is the best idea I've heard in a long time. Pinside needs a seller feedback rating system.

Quoted from btw75:

I hear you and thought long and hard about it. My feeling is that we don't have an accepted rating methodology/system

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

Was that the one that was flood damaged and picked up at Allentown???

interested in knowing that myself.

#45 9 years ago

What you guys miss is that at least the last time I was there, Pinballz already has an Iron Man in Austin. It's not like it's as hard to find a game to play there as it is elsewhere..

Not saying the area couldn't support another, but then again, with two Pinballz locations within like 25 miles of each other, who knows.....

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

What you guys miss is that at least the last time I was there, Pinballz already has an Iron Man in Austin. It's not like it's as hard to find a game to play there as it is elsewhere..
Not saying the area couldn't support another, but then again, with two Pinballz locations within like 25 miles of each other, who knows.....

It wouldn't be awful to have one set up somewhere else, especially one that isn't set up with open outlanes and no ball save like the one at pinballz - that's a quick 75cents! I can only think of two pins in Round Rock, and they are usually not working.

#47 9 years ago

get a quote for a new cab PLUS labour to swap everything, take the insurance payout, buy another game with the cash and stick this one between two other games. You don't play the cab.

I'll be making magnet decals soon that will cover that wear spot, but seal it for now so it doesn't get worse.

- B

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That game would do just fine in a little one-off restaurant in one of the North Austin Suburbs - people wouldn't go there to play that particular machine (like they would a specific game at a place like Pinballz) - but people already there to eat with their family (and their kids) would run more than enough quarters through it.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

get a quote for a new cab PLUS labour to swap everything, take the insurance payout, buy another game with the cash and stick this one between two other games. You don't play the cab.
I'll be making magnet decals soon that will cover that wear spot, but seal it for now so it doesn't get worse.
- B

1) My quote will for SURE include decals. 2) how would you seal it?

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I hear you and thought long and hard about it. My feeling is that we don't have an accepted rating methodology/system and we've had way too many pitchfork wielding mob threads lately which don't end up be quite fair

But there is the potential for you to save another pinsider from going through the same problems as you. Isn't that worth it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 24.95
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-disaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.