Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've been after an IM for a while now, but unfortunately they're pretty rare over here in the UK. Recently I've been in touch with someone who has a nice one that he's willing to part with - however, currently both flippers are dead. From what he's told me they were working fine one day, and when he next switched the machine on they'd just given up.

I've had a flipper at a time go before, but never experienced both dying simultaneously - has anyone experienced this issue with a modern Stern, and if so what is the fix? I'm hoping its something fairly simple like a fuse gone somewhere, but I'm worried it could be something else. Any input would be very much appreciated, as I really do want to go for it - it's unlikely I'll find another anytime soon!

#2 9 years ago

Fuses are always the first test. Make sure to test them with at least 1 leg out of the holder with a Multi Meter...the "eyeball" test is not a good one.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply - the only issue is I won't be able to diagnose the issue myself until after I buy it, and having never run into this problem before I'd like to get some sort of idea what I'm getting myself into!

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

the only issue is I won't be able to diagnose the issue myself until after I buy it,

Leap of faith on this one Unlikely a coil as they probably wouldn't both die at the same time.

#5 9 years ago

coin door switch interlock maybe?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Leap of faith on this one Unlikely a coil as they probably wouldn't both die at the same time.

That's what I was thinking - what are the odds that they'd both go simultaneously?!

Quoted from spideynhb:

coin door switch interlock maybe?

Wouldn't the machine give the warning that the coin door is open if this was the case?

#7 9 years ago

At the end of the day its all down to how much you are paying for it. If the price is right buy it and pay someone to fix if required. Worse case scenario would be a board repair.

#8 9 years ago

agree, negotiate a few hundred off the price to cover any possible board damage / service fees and then enjoy.

maybe as a test to cover yourself, go into the test menu and test the other solenoids as well as the up and down on the monger just incase there isn't something being hidden, as your focus is on the flippers, and there could be worse damage

#9 9 years ago

What ever you do don't fix it when you go to look at it . Price will double or now - Not for sale !

#10 9 years ago

Thanks all for the replies - a potential board issue is my biggest concern as that isn't an easy or cheap fix. I'm slightly disheartened to hear that no-one has run into a similar issue before, I was hoping it would be a relatively simple issue as I've wanted one for a while and they never seem to come up for sale over here. If it was fully working I wouldn't think twice!

#11 9 years ago

If I can be nosey, what's he asking? I have one and won't be crossing the pond to steal it from you, just curious.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

a potential board issue is my biggest concern as that isn't an easy or cheap fix./blockquote>

Yeah I haven't had a lot of experience with Stern board work so I couldn't help you there. I will say that W/B boards having issues are mostly not expensive fixes.

Anyone else know of this issue?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

If I can be nosey, what's he asking? I have one and won't be crossing the pond to steal it from you, just curious.

Sure you can - but to clarify, the machine wasn't listed for sale. I messaged him as I knew he had one and was at one point in the past thinking of selling it, so it isn't so much the asking price as it is the 'I'll let go of it for this much' price.

So, with that out of the way, the price is £4k, which works out to be around $6700. However, to put that in perspective, in the UK a NIB Stern Pro costs around $7700, and a Premium/LE costs around $11,000/$12,400.

Regardless, £4k is probably on the high side especially given the flipper issue, but with IM it's very much a sellers market over here!

#14 9 years ago

Thanks for the info. Hope you get it for a little less and it's a minor repair. Does it have any modifications to it?

#15 9 years ago

Some dead flippers wouldn't stop me!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Mary, FL
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-both-flippers-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.