(Topic ID: 217401)

Iron Maiden: What do you do when your dream theme is a letdown?

By TOK

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RJL
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
6011D0FE-2F9B-4A63-A293-70B73B56FC60 (resized).jpeg
F204188A-B709-4833-8CE7-A180239B4695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4631 (resized).JPG
IMG_4633 (resized).JPG
ron-burgundy-glass-case-of-emotion (resized).jpg
3945C0B7-2F7E-499A-943B-94306B5397AE (resized).jpeg
point-counter-point-SNL (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tok.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

All I've wanted for the last 5 years is this theme. I've loved the band since I was a kid, and watched games like Metallica (another dream theme of mine) turn out to be spectacular. I've now played Iron Maiden a bunch of times, and the playfield feels empty. A couple of paper thin plastic Eddies, an anti-climactic center shot and a half sized flipper that doesn't add up to much of anything.

I decided to give it more of a chance after the initial disappointment of playing it at Allentown, then found it on location in Philly. $25 later it still just feels kind of lame and I'm really bummed about that. My wife lost her mind over AC/DC Luci at Allentown, and I actually find myself agreeing with her after playing both side-by-side. I know I'm comparing a Premium to a Pro, but the Iron Maiden Premium still doesn't seem to compete. Didn't think I'd be saying this in a million years, but it looks like AC/DC is the next game in the lineup. What a fumble.

#50 1 year ago

I'm definitely not trolling, it was an honest and what I felt was an unbiased opinion.

Last game I bought was a Star Trek Pro, a game I really thought was great and bought despite a theme that doesn't really appeal to me at all. If nothing else, I'm objective. I won't crap on something good any more than I'd defend something I don't like just because I bought it. I have sort of been coasting in the hobby, playing the games once a month or so and not posting a lot. Iron Maiden was the first thing I've been excited about to get me visiting Pinside on a daily basis again.

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Q: Iron Maiden: What do you do when your dream theme is a letdown?
A: Move on?

I guess that's a better answer than hot gluing a carton of Iron Maiden action figures to the playfield to make it look like there's more going on.

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

This is how I felt after the Stern Star Wars reveal.

However the only game I've ever bought on the spot and brought home from a pinball show is Iron Maiden. Not my dream theme, but fun as hell.

I played Star Wars and Guardians Of The Galaxy at Allentown, too. Between those and Iron Maiden, it was the first time I've spent a substantial amount of time playing Spike based games and was a bit alarmed that all of them seemed lacking to me.

Guess I need to spend some more time on Maiden, I have to be missing something.

#155 1 year ago

Having it being defended for common features gives me that X-Men feeling all over again. "I'm gonna defend this thing because I bought it, then dump it in 6 months".

Drop targets and an LCD display are no longer things to crow about.

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from musketd:

AC DC code will get to be very repetitive along with their music I have owned the game several times if your not into the maiden game I’d urge you to try Metallica which is a much better game then AC DC

Already have a Metallica.

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

or... people who have been playing and collecting for decades know a winning combination when they see it. This is one.

I started playing as a kid back when High Speed was new. Maybe I just forgot everything I've learned.

#186 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Well unless you are the xmen defender you were talking about... you're good. But don't assume all defenders are just own to polish their own knob...
I don't own the game, I don't have it on order. But I said the first week it was on the street after playing it had the potential to make as good a run as Metallica. I don't know if the theme will stunt that, but as a player's game... it has the potential to drive demand at that kind of scale. My informed opinion... not a buyer defending his choice.

I knew it was a dog from the first time I played it. Iron Maiden is better, but still don't think its gonna stand the test of time. Feels like a bunch of people here that discovered Pinball through Pinball Arcade talking like they're old salts.

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from Maken:

My experience has been the opposite of what you are implying.
As a competitive player, I talk to many experienced, above average players pretty consistently about new games... they all like Maiden. It's definitely a players game.
The only people who haven't really liked it have been below average players.

Yea, I'd be a below average competitive player. Pinball is a recreational activity for me, I'm not killing a weekend to win a plastic trophy at something like that.

#208 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

That's easy enough to conceptualize for the OP. The Star Wars layout could have very easily been Iron Maiden--would that have been better? I think the Star Wars fans would take that trade...

Or they both stink, and it's two wasted licenses.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.50
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tok.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside