(Topic ID: 217401)

Iron Maiden: What do you do when your dream theme is a letdown?

By TOK

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RJL
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
6011D0FE-2F9B-4A63-A293-70B73B56FC60 (resized).jpeg
F204188A-B709-4833-8CE7-A180239B4695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4631 (resized).JPG
IMG_4633 (resized).JPG
ron-burgundy-glass-case-of-emotion (resized).jpg
3945C0B7-2F7E-499A-943B-94306B5397AE (resized).jpeg
point-counter-point-SNL (resized).jpg
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 5 years ago

All I've wanted for the last 5 years is this theme. I've loved the band since I was a kid, and watched games like Metallica (another dream theme of mine) turn out to be spectacular. I've now played Iron Maiden a bunch of times, and the playfield feels empty. A couple of paper thin plastic Eddies, an anti-climactic center shot and a half sized flipper that doesn't add up to much of anything.

I decided to give it more of a chance after the initial disappointment of playing it at Allentown, then found it on location in Philly. $25 later it still just feels kind of lame and I'm really bummed about that. My wife lost her mind over AC/DC Luci at Allentown, and I actually find myself agreeing with her after playing both side-by-side. I know I'm comparing a Premium to a Pro, but the Iron Maiden Premium still doesn't seem to compete. Didn't think I'd be saying this in a million years, but it looks like AC/DC is the next game in the lineup. What a fumble.

#2 5 years ago

Go see a doctor, you have lost your mind..........

#3 5 years ago

Well, that’s just like your opinion man. Everybody is entitled to ‘em! But myself and the other 99% of the people that have played this are in love. All good, there’s no love without a bit of hate

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

What a fumble.

Indeed, now run to the hills!!!
To each their own. At least you could make up you’re mind. I myself can’t seam to get into ac/dc and love the new Iron Maiden.
Cheers
RVH

#5 5 years ago

Hmmm...I just played an LE for the first time and thought it was incredibly well done...

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

All I've wanted for the last 5 years is this theme. I've loved the band since I was a kid, and watched games like Metallica (another dream theme of mine) turn out to be spectacular. I've now played Iron Maiden a bunch of times, and the playfield feels empty. A couple of paper thin plastic Eddies, an anti-climactic center shot and a half sized flipper that doesn't add up to much of anything.
I decided to give it more of a chance after the initial disappointment of playing it at Allentown, then found it on location in Philly. $25 later it still just feels kind of lame and I'm really bummed about that. My wife lost her mind over AC/DC Luci at Allentown, and I actually find myself agreeing with her after playing both side-by-side. I know I'm comparing a Premium to a Pro, but the Iron Maiden Premium still doesn't seem to compete. Didn't think I'd be saying this in a million years, but it looks like AC/DC is the next game in the lineup. What a fumble.

Look uh, don’t take this the wrong way, but how much did you have to drink when you played it? I would give it another try if I were you

#7 5 years ago

You are the first person to not like this game. Way to be different but seriously you are kind of broken. The game is universally loved and man they knocked the theme out of the park. My guess is you needed a Eddie bash toy up the middle or something.

Not sure why you do not enjoy original layout and sweet shots that work well together.

#8 5 years ago

Greatest game ever!

#9 5 years ago

With all the hand holding, rainbows and unicorns bullshit lately it's refreshing to finally see this.
You're wrong of course, but refreshing, like a lemonade, nonetheless.

#10 5 years ago

I’m not an IMDN fan, but wow what a great pin. Some of the best graphics and play that Stern has ever done.
If it’s not your cup of tea, you can’t go wrong with AC/DC.

#11 5 years ago

What would I do if IMDN was my dream theme and the game ended up being a letdown.. I am glad I don’t have to find out what I would do, luckily for me IMDN kicks ass!

#12 5 years ago

Just ordered my Pinball refinery pro edition. Not a huge IM fan but love the game and it unique layout. Great right out of the box too and only going to get better. But to each there own.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

You are the first person to not like this game.

maybe not. I have only put about half dozen games on it and I didn't think it was the greatest game ever....Sorry. I know I need to put more games on it however to see how well I like it. I just think I had very high expectations after reading everyone else's review on it and when I first played it, it was somewhat of a let down...

#14 5 years ago

ac/dc will stand the test of time, iron maiden hype might settle, might not. i haven't played one yet. but after owning over 80 machines, luci is the only nib i ever bought.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

maybe not. I have only put about half dozen games on it and I didn't think it was the greatest game ever....Sorry. I know I need to put more games on it however to see how well I like it. I just think I had very high expectations after reading everyone else's review on it and when I first played it, it was somewhat of a let down...

What’s your #1? Maybe it’s “too much” ?

#16 5 years ago

Not a Maiden fan, didn't think I'd like the game. Man was I wrong. Everyone has different ideas of what makes a great pinball, evidently Keith Elwin and I are on the same page. Best new pin I've played in years. It doesn't need any goofy toys, it just plays extremely well.

#17 5 years ago

"playfield seems empty"......

I'm still trying to get past this part. Totally understand if someone doesn't like it but are we talking about the same game?

#18 5 years ago

Sell it!

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

"playfield seems empty"......
I'm still trying to get past this part. Totally understand if someone doesn't like it but are we talking about the same game?

It dont have a whole lot there really.... but the unique layout and 4 flippers are refreshing and keep the player busy with the way it and the code are designed . Its a fun new pin and will c how it holds up once the next new release is available .

#20 5 years ago

Not being a true Iron Maiden fan but played a pro a few games last week
and enjoyed the fresh layout. I have an AC/DC premie n MET pro
but certainly not ready to compare yet as I need more time on it.
Still favor them at this point but get into their music more.
But with the new display and what it offers as you play it was just
fun to play . I look forward in seeing and playing the premium.
Yes It would be nice if Stern would add some better plastics
with some dimension on their pros at least.

#21 5 years ago

Sorry to hear you don't like it iron maiden is my dream theme as well and I was very happy with the game I loved the rules and layout.

#22 5 years ago

I figured it out - he played This Stern Maiden:

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1270

#23 5 years ago

I had the opposite. Didn’t know band at all. Couldn’t name 3 songs. Saw layout of pin and who was designing it and a chance to get one of the first Pros made in production. I could not believe I was pulling the trigger on one due to my lack of interest in theme. I really like the rules and how different it feels to play. Like pinball is a little different for me on IMDN. This is a good thing.

I would buy Luci if I were you. Acdc is a proven great. If your wife digs it get one for sure. Keep IMDN on your radar and see if it clicks with you later on.

#24 5 years ago

Can’t say I agree with the OP 100% but I’m am definitely NOT wow’d by this game.

It is a great shooter but the few toys that the premium has are meh at best

As I die hard Maiden fan I will most likely buy one but I am really swaying towards a pro.

A friend of mine said it best. It reminds him of TNA with two ramps

Shoots great but I was hoping for soooooo much more

#25 5 years ago

Certainly a good example of why you should play before buying. Buy the acdc if you like it better, maiden will be available for years to come.

#26 5 years ago

Apparently you're playing a pro. LE/premium is way better than pro.
I've waited as long or longer for my dream theme and I think they knocked it out of the park. The whole package is perfect.

#27 5 years ago

If you don't like flipping this game that's okay, it's fine to have an opinion that doesn't match up with other people's.

But if you don't like flipping this game you and I definitely differ over what makes pinball fun. Especially this part: "a half sized flipper that doesn't add up to much of anything".

I'm going to gently suggest, in a not mean or spiteful way, that you might not entirely understand how to play the game.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Can’t say I agree with the OP 100% but I’m am definitely NOT wow’d by this game.
It is a great shooter but the few toys that the premium has are meh at best
As I die hard Maiden fan I will most likely buy one but I am really swaying towards a pro.
Shoots great but I was hoping for soooooo much more

I played TNA and IMDN back-to-back for the first time at Zapcon. After playing Maiden I never went back to TNA. These two games have nothing in common.

#29 5 years ago

I played several games on the pro version with my wife, we both walked away thinking it was good but not great. Factor in we don't like IM, its not a game I would purchase.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

like a lemonade

Damn, now I just really want a lemonade!

The Wife and I went and played a pro last night and even her non pinball playing ass enjoyed the game! Completely shocked me when she said that she enjoyed it and thought one day I should get one. She did throw in the caveat that TWD come first lol.

I felt the game was a blast to shoot and different frrom anything we have seen from stern in a long while. They absolutely crushed the theme and this is coming from someone who doesn’t know much about Iron Maiden.

If I could justify an LE I would want that as I like the artwork. However the pro is all you really need as it’s outstanding and is my next favorite in the art department

#31 5 years ago

Not sure if our are trying to troll. A marketing guy from another pinball company. Or truly honest.

#1. Wait... This game isn't fully baked just yet. Even though it's amazing
#2. If your drinking age and not AA. Have a couple drinks and crank up the sound.
#3. If you purchase an LE consider trading it to me. I'll give you what you paid for it. Granted you bought it NIB less shipping.

#32 5 years ago

No harm in not being satisfied with what you hoped would be the dream theme. It happens. No reason to buy when there are so many other pins out there. Hell for that money you could have a couple of machines.

The game isn’t going anywhere anytime soon so take a step back and let all the hype die down. Let them drop a couple more code updates and give it another try. If you don’t like how it flips there is little be done to fix that. I’m not crazy about the left shot through the pops but the rest is enjoyable to me.

Wish I had the money to drop on the Premium. But that is just 2 much for a machine these days.

#33 5 years ago

Just got my LE unboxed and put 5 or 6 plays on it. No idea what i was doing, 350k top score was fun!

Gotta admit, when i first glanced at the pf in person I wondered where the cool as shit AS toy box was!

It doesn't need any "toys" and is better off without any. Different is a GREAT thing, especially with this pin.

There is a LOT of shit going on. Going to take awhile to get the hang of all the nuances of this game and its flow but i can't wait to learn.

Its absolutely gorgeous, the music is perfect and the LCD is integrated nicely. Still on .94 code.

#34 5 years ago

Well then, let me tell you about how I felt after Star Wars...

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Well then, let me tell you about how I felt after Star Wars...

Same here, good lord, what a mess.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Same here, good lord, what a mess.

I just played Star Wars and Iron Maiden and holy shit did Star Wars feel empty and it was a premium. Iron Maiden was a pro and I have no skin in this game but thought it was awesome. I went from never wanting an Iron Maiden to probably getting a premium. I also thought it was much more fun than DI and I want to love DI.

#37 5 years ago

Points expressed are well taken.
Some of you are ignorant Pinsluts though.
point-counter-point-SNL (resized).jpgpoint-counter-point-SNL (resized).jpg

#38 5 years ago

Trollbait thread folks. Drain and move along.

#39 5 years ago

Move on to the next thing?

#40 5 years ago

It's weird how 1/3 of the respondents in this thread are talking about Iron Man (IM) instead of IMDN.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

With an opinion like that, I'm not surprised that you both missed the fact that it has three ramps.

They play nothing alike. This is some ridiculous shit you are spouting.

#42 5 years ago

Wow, this topic proves once more that there is only one opinion that matters on Pinside, that of the majority. If you deviate, you are considered a troll.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

With an opinion like that, I'm not surprised that you both missed the fact that it has three ramps.
They play nothing alike. This is some ridiculous shit you are spouting.

I guess your another guy that’s always right

He even owns an Maiden.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

Wow, this topic proves once more that there is only one opinion that matters on Pinside, that of the majority.

3945C0B7-2F7E-499A-943B-94306B5397AE (resized).jpeg3945C0B7-2F7E-499A-943B-94306B5397AE (resized).jpeg

#45 5 years ago

Its real simple. If you dont like the game then just dont buy it, dream theme or not. BM66 is a dream theme for me but i didnt buy one. The Munsters is another dream theme for me and if it sucks im not buying it. With that being said though, i dont see how anyone that loves pinball wouldn't like this game. IMDN is awesome game in every way!

#46 5 years ago

Very disappointing to see these reactions.TOK is clearly honest about his opinion and all he gets is that he is wrong and stuff. He cannot be wrong, because liking a pinball machine or not is not a science. What I love, somebody else can really dislike. For example, I personally do not like to play LOTR. It just is not for me.

@Tok: I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your next pinball machine, whichever one it is.

PS: I have a friend who owns a IMDN Pro and a GOTG PRO and guess what: he prefers the GOTG !

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Very disappointing to see these reactions.TOK is clearly honest about his opinion and all he gets is that he is wrong and stuff. He cannot be wrong, because liking a pinball machine or not is not a science. What I love, somebody else can really dislike. For example, I personally do not like to play LOTR. It just is not for me.
Tok: I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your next pinball machine, whichever one it is.
PS: I have a friend who owns a IMDN Pro and a GOTG PRO and guess what: he prefers the GOTG !

He needs to play a premium. The ball lock, underworld, and other things make it feel more substantial. The captive ball mech is the toy he may be after.

GOTG is horrible. Worst game Stern has done in years. I love Borg, but this greatest hits layout with crappy Lonnie code is a huge miss.

#48 5 years ago

Expand your horizons and make new dreams and hope someone themes em! When you look at it all its all perspective, my little pony themed game is no diff than a gi joe themed game. For me themes are like religion one guy with all his heart and sole believes in whatever and half way around the world there's another guy doing just the same. Who's right who's wrong...nobody, everybody...who knows! lol

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

He needs to play a premium. The ball lock, underworld, and other things make it feel more substantial. The captive ball mech is the toy he may be after.
GOTG is horrible. Worst game Stern has done in years. I love Borg, but this greatest hits layout with crappy Lonnie code is a huge miss.

Regarding GOTG: you need to play it with the latest code. It has made a 180 on code and it is a lot of fun. I never played a IMDN yet, so cannot say anything about that.

#50 5 years ago

I'm definitely not trolling, it was an honest and what I felt was an unbiased opinion.

Last game I bought was a Star Trek Pro, a game I really thought was great and bought despite a theme that doesn't really appeal to me at all. If nothing else, I'm objective. I won't crap on something good any more than I'd defend something I don't like just because I bought it. I have sort of been coasting in the hobby, playing the games once a month or so and not posting a lot. Iron Maiden was the first thing I've been excited about to get me visiting Pinside on a daily basis again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.00
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Wanted
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-what-do-you-do-when-your-dream-theme-is-a-letdown?hl=oldschool84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.