(Topic ID: 217401)

Iron Maiden: What do you do when your dream theme is a letdown?

By TOK

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RJL
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
6011D0FE-2F9B-4A63-A293-70B73B56FC60 (resized).jpeg
F204188A-B709-4833-8CE7-A180239B4695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4631 (resized).JPG
IMG_4633 (resized).JPG
ron-burgundy-glass-case-of-emotion (resized).jpg
3945C0B7-2F7E-499A-943B-94306B5397AE (resized).jpeg
point-counter-point-SNL (resized).jpg
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 5 years ago

IMDN is a game that also has an amazing ruleset. The modes are unique and interesting. Lots of clever ideas incorporated. It’s worth “studying” the Backstage Pass that Stern released to fully appreciate the game:

http://sternpinball.com/upload/games/iron-maiden/pro/IM%20Backstage%20Pass%20Rules.pdf

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

... but it looks like AC/DC is the next game in the lineup. What a fumble.

AC/DC is fantastic. If you're buying new then I would urge you to just try the Pro Vault before you go for the Premium. You'll probably prefer the Premium (most folks do) but some of us actually think the Pro gives a better game.

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

3 steel ramps, 2 spinners, 4 flippers, 3bank of drops, newton ball, bullseye target, 3 pops, uppost and RGB LEDs. Keith spent the entire budget on standard playfield parts instead of toys. A different, but certainly not incorrect, approach to designing a pro game.

Thats standard stuff on every game. You could also throw in...... 2 slingshots, side bumpers with colored posts and an orbit. Just saying if ALL the features from Archer were used it would have been a much better game in that aspect. At the prices they are charging it should be in there.

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

3 steel ramps, 2 spinners, 4 flippers, 3bank of drops, newton ball, bullseye target, 3 pops, uppost and RGB LEDs. Keith spent the entire budget on standard playfield parts instead of toys. A different, but certainly not incorrect, approach to designing a pro game.

Hey, stop doing PanzerFreak 's job.

#155 5 years ago

Having it being defended for common features gives me that X-Men feeling all over again. "I'm gonna defend this thing because I bought it, then dump it in 6 months".

Drop targets and an LCD display are no longer things to crow about.

#156 5 years ago

AC DC code will get to be very repetitive along with their music I have owned the game several times if your not into the maiden game I’d urge you to try Metallica which is a much better game then AC DC

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Played both Hank and I disagree

Well then we have to agree that we both disagree with each others opinion then. Haha.

I like SW, but I also live Maidens music, so maybe I'm giving one the edge based on theme. Star Wars is a brutal bastard and I do like it a lot.

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

AC DC code will get to be very repetitive along with their music I have owned the game several times if your not into the maiden game I’d urge you to try Metallica which is a much better game then AC DC

Already have a Metallica.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Already have a Metallica.

Metallica is the best music pin, so you already have your bases covered.

I agree with you on IMDN, it just did not do it for me either. It is completely objective and people will either love it or not. I thought I would like the layout more than I did but the center bulls-eye gets old quick and the music does not fit my taste. I might suggest you check out a Star Wars Premium/LE to go next to your Star Trek. They make the perfect pair and compliment each other very well. I literally cannot get enough of my Star Wars, owned now for over 6 months and still gets the most plays.

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Having it being defended for common features gives me that X-Men feeling all over again. "I'm gonna defend this thing because I bought it, then dump it in 6 months".

I agree..... Pro are the prices of LEs like tron and Avatar now. There 5600 not 3995 so if I expect a bit more oh well. And when we hit 9k prices the games should be out of this world.

I thought the whole spike thing was going to lower prices and make feature packed games......NOT .

#161 5 years ago

One of the reasons I like this game is because it doesn't have a large happy meal toy stuck to the play field. They put the money where its important to be spent when it comes to pinball machines: On pinball parts.

Best game design since Metallica (or GOTG).

#162 5 years ago

So many great music pins.

Metallica is a bit too wood choppy for me - so it went.

AC/DC more risk reward.

Would rather Maiden as it is, than a few big cheap plastic toys on the playfield.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

One of the reasons I like this game is because it doesn't have a large happy meal toy stuck to the play field. They put the money where its important to be spent when it comes to pinball machines: On pinball parts.
Best game design since Metallica (or GOTG).

Dont have a big guy that shakes or swallows balls. No playfield magnets. No cool 3D plastics. no uniqueness at all except for layout ( which is huge BTW )

Went with Houdini because it was soooooo good looking and cool features.... but game play was not what I care for so I sold within two weeks so I get the point of the being incorporated correctly.

I am a huge Maiden fan and most likely will get some version in time but right now it just seems ok at best to me. Was really hoping to be blown away not debating if I should buy and which version.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

iMaid is the best game that Stern has made since AC/DC preem. And I LOVE Met and TWD.

I like how you think.

Quoted from RobT:

my initial impression is that this is easily the best Stern package since AC/DC.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What other Stern pro has 4 flippers and drop targets?

Technically pins like GOT premium/LE had 4 flippers...but that is with a mini pf. The thing that's cool about IMDN is that it has 4 flippers without a mini pf.

#166 5 years ago

Best game ever already has 5 pro up for sale now and a lot of LEs ready for flipping......

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Best game ever already has 5 pro up for sale now and a lot of LEs ready for flipping......

A few of those Pros are for sale because the owners are upgrading to LE or Premiums.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

A few of those Pros are for sale because the owners are weenies.

Fixed it for you.

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I thought the whole spike thing was going to lower prices and make feature packed games......NOT .

Haha, no sane person actually thought this.
Although I'm sure a lot of Pinsiders did

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Give it up man, it's a great game. Stop shitting on it, Petey.

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

This is really giving you an X-men vibe? Look, I get it that you don't like the game and that you think the people that currently like it are just fooling themselves and that people are buying it despite hating the theme because they've been hypnotized by the Stern hype machine. But now you're getting an X-Men vibe?

Maybe the game will get old in six months -- hard to know if the game play will hold up in a home environment in the long run (it has longish ball times so maybe that will grow tiresome), but if it does I doubt it will be because it's missing a bash toy, subway, or a mechanical toy box. Toys are the first thing that lose their magic in a home environment.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

or... people who have been playing and collecting for decades know a winning combination when they see it. This is one.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Give it up man, it's a great game. Stop shitting on it, Petey.

Not shitting on it and I may even buy one..... to me it’s just not as good as the hype about it is right now

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

or... people who have been playing and collecting for decades know a winning combination when they see it. This is one.

I started playing as a kid back when High Speed was new. Maybe I just forgot everything I've learned.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I started playing as a kid back when High Speed was new. Maybe I just forgot everything I've learned.

Well unless you are the xmen defender you were talking about... you're good. But don't assume all defenders are just own to polish their own knob...

I don't own the game, I don't have it on order. But I said the first week it was on the street after playing it had the potential to make as good a run as Metallica. I don't know if the theme will stunt that, but as a player's game... it has the potential to drive demand at that kind of scale. My informed opinion... not a buyer defending his choice.

#176 5 years ago

It has a newton ball!!!! Really???

Stern has brainwashed some of us if people think basic features are a + these days. And they have cut some basic feautures on a lot of games already. People are happy with a spinner on their 5000 euro pro pin.

Pathetic!

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I played Iron Maiden Pro on route and was kind of meh. To be fair, it was loud in the barcade and I couldn’t really hear the music or sound effects. I bet in a quiet home setting, this game is probably pretty cool.

That is how I was with Metallica the first few times I played it. And I wasn’t a MET music fan either. But once I bought one, OMG!! I have a feeling I will be the same way with IMDN. Really wanted to get an LE but wouldn’t commit without seeing/playing. And look where that got me. So I guess premium it is!!

Worst case if the music doesn’t grow on me, I’ll hope for a replacement like TWD!!

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

People are happy with a spinner on their 5000 euro pro pin.
Pathetic!

Well it does have 2 spinners

#179 5 years ago

Well I cannot find the auxiliary output anywhere on this game. Please help.

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

It has a newton ball!!!! Really???
Stern has brainwashed some of us if people think basic features are a + these days. And they have cut some basic feautures on a lot of games already. People are happy with a spinner on their 5000 euro pro pin.
Pathetic!

You Sir, deserve a Hobbit. I'll take a Maiden (any version) over any other title out there right now. Period.
I played a Pro before picking up my LE. Couldn't wait to get it after playing even just a few games.
The ball flows so well and there are SO many fun shots.
Now that I'm starting to identify the modes a little more, it reminds me of the fun factor of completing TWD modes. Each is a little different from the last, and all are really fun and not terribly tough to learn. Nice little addition is the number of times you can grab a multiball. Quite often just a little 2 ball but it brings a ton of variety to the game. It's fun fun fun!

But hey, if you prefer bash toys and thing-a-ma-jigees, be my guest -enjoy your Houdini.

#181 5 years ago

Blah, blah, blah,...

this pin is GREAT

As good as it gets the more you play it. Unless all you like to do is talk BS and don't actually play pinball like Kman.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Unless all you like to do is talk BS and don't actually play pinball like Kman.

Its not a coincidence he's so popular around here Ice

#183 5 years ago

Bummer your not really liking it.
I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon that its the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'm pretty happy with mine.
Hopefully it grows on you.
Make yourself a couple cocktails and have some alone time with it and see if it changes your perspective.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Bummer your not really liking it.
I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon that its the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'm pretty happy with mine.
Hopefully it grows on you.
Make yourself a couple cocktails and have some alone time with it and see if it changes your perspective.

Alone time , couple of cocktails only thing missing is the tissue box

#185 5 years ago

Dunno... ask Rob Zombie fans.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Well unless you are the xmen defender you were talking about... you're good. But don't assume all defenders are just own to polish their own knob...
I don't own the game, I don't have it on order. But I said the first week it was on the street after playing it had the potential to make as good a run as Metallica. I don't know if the theme will stunt that, but as a player's game... it has the potential to drive demand at that kind of scale. My informed opinion... not a buyer defending his choice.

I knew it was a dog from the first time I played it. Iron Maiden is better, but still don't think its gonna stand the test of time. Feels like a bunch of people here that discovered Pinball through Pinball Arcade talking like they're old salts.

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I knew it was a dog from the first time I played it. Iron Maiden is better, but still don't think its gonna stand the test of time. Feels like a bunch of people here that discovered Pinball through Pinball Arcade talking like they're old salts.

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

My experience has been the opposite of what you are implying.

As a competitive player, I talk to many experienced, above average players pretty consistently about new games... they all like Maiden. It's definitely a players game.

The only people who haven't really liked it have been below average players.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

As a competitive player, I talk to many experienced, above average players pretty consistently about new games... they all like Maiden. It's definitely a players game.

I agree with this. However, IMDN is a long playing game. For tournaments, they are going to have to make modifications to make it harder.

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I agree with this. However, IMDN is a long playing game. For tournaments, they are going to have to make modifications to make it harder.

Agreed, and they are already doing that. It played really difficult at the NYCPC. Getting over 100M was no easy task.

#191 5 years ago

Well sorry you don’t like it man.

Looks like you are going through the anger and bitterness phase of not having your dream come true of what “you” would like IMDN to be.

I don’t think this is a pump and dump title like you say it is. Look you love the IMDN theme but trust me - a crap TON of people did not. I would say more don’t than do like the music of IMDN, but you know what? Folks enjoy the rules and play of the IMDN pin so they bought it anyway despite the theme. My self included. I didn't know 3 songs from them because they get no FM play, but now I have the pin I like the music a lot and think it is good Pin playing music.

And look, drop targets and LCD aside pricing in pinball is what it is. When Sterns biggest competitor prices their games at $8500-$12500, takes forever to make them and strips stuff off of the game along the way and they still have folks run to preorder from them anyaway it’s hard to say the $5600 ready to ship in 1 month, pretty fun Pin stern makes is overpriced. IMHO.

I would get acdc you and your wife like and have a blast with it. Sitting around pinside posting IMDN sucks and insulting folks who like it and them being iPad pinball lovers and pump and dumpers ain’t going to get you far.

To me the real sign of an old salty pinball fart is one who plays a game a little and writes it off never to come back to it again and complains, complains and complains about it. Stuff can click later on if the person is open to it. Don’t be that salt fart that stays in their box.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Thats no diff'rent than any Machine

Quoted from TOK:

Feels like a bunch of people here that discovered Pinball through Pinball Arcade talking like they're old salts.

That's no diff'rent than any Machine.

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Yea, I'd be a below average competitive player. Pinball is a recreational activity for me, I'm not killing a weekend to win a plastic trophy at something like that.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

That won't be too hard.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Agreed, and they are already doing that. It played really difficult at the NYCPC. Getting over 100M was no easy task.

I think what was key is we made the game harder without making it impossible (like at Pinfest a few weeks ago). Move posts, remove rubbers, but don't REMOVE posts and you have a tough game without making it ridiculous.

#196 5 years ago

I love Iron Maiden, I love Pinball. Sorry , what was the problem again?

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I love Iron Maiden, I love Pinball. Sorry , what was the problem again?

The OP would have built a different game is all.

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

That's easy enough to conceptualize for the OP. The Star Wars layout could have very easily been Iron Maiden--would that have been better? I think the Star Wars fans would take that trade...

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I think the Star Wars fans would take that trade...

Yet SW fans would not

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

No ...... Stern should have built the game just as Archer was intended. “ feature packed “

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-what-do-you-do-when-your-dream-theme-is-a-letdown/page/4?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.