(Topic ID: 217401)

Iron Maiden: What do you do when your dream theme is a letdown?

By TOK

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RJL
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
6011D0FE-2F9B-4A63-A293-70B73B56FC60 (resized).jpeg
F204188A-B709-4833-8CE7-A180239B4695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4631 (resized).JPG
IMG_4633 (resized).JPG
ron-burgundy-glass-case-of-emotion (resized).jpg
3945C0B7-2F7E-499A-943B-94306B5397AE (resized).jpeg
point-counter-point-SNL (resized).jpg
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I thought there was no comparison between the two after playing them--Maiden was the much better playing pin.

Well everyone has their opinion. I like them both and don;t find one way above the other.

For sure they are both way over ACDC

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well everyone has their opinion. I like them both and don;t find one way above the other.
For sure they are both way over ACDC

Pinside is a great place to obtain opinions--one of its plusses. I may be in the minority, but I was really disappointed with Star Wars--I'd rather play AC/DC.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I may be in the minority, but I was really disappointed with Star Wars--I'd rather play AC/DC.

Yeah I would think you're probably the majority on that one, SW not a popular pick right now.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

All I've wanted for the last 5 years is this theme. I've loved the band since I was a kid, and watched games like Metallica (another dream theme of mine) turn out to be spectacular. I've now played Iron Maiden a bunch of times, and the playfield feels empty. A couple of paper thin plastic Eddies, an anti-climactic center shot and a half sized flipper that doesn't add up to much of anything.
I decided to give it more of a chance after the initial disappointment of playing it at Allentown, then found it on location in Philly. $25 later it still just feels kind of lame and I'm really bummed about that. My wife lost her mind over AC/DC Luci at Allentown, and I actually find myself agreeing with her after playing both side-by-side. I know I'm comparing a Premium to a Pro, but the Iron Maiden Premium still doesn't seem to compete. Didn't think I'd be saying this in a million years, but it looks like AC/DC is the next game in the lineup. What a fumble.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I played an Iron Maiden pro yesterday for the first time and was blown away. Amazing layout, superb rules, excellent artwork. I don't know if it would keep my attention longer than some of my other favorite Stern pins, and first impressions should be taken with a huge grain of salt, but my initial impression is that this is easily the best Stern package since AC/DC.

The pin has 4 freaking flippers....with no mini playfield!

#105 5 years ago

I also miss a main toy to make this pin really great.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I'm trying to think;
1. What is a good main toy
2. When's the last time Stern had one?

#107 5 years ago

I love the barn in the walking dead

#108 5 years ago

So if the ramp to hit the target was a big ol' bash toy you'd like it better? It seems like that's what people are asking for.

I'm not personally amazed by the multi ring target, I think that's one of the few things about the game that I'd change if I could, it's not particularly 'satisfying' to hit. Maybe a bash toy would be, I dunno. It's cool that it has rings, and different levels, but it doesn't really feel like it's a skillful thing to do, you just shoot the ramp.

#109 5 years ago

That is a good and fair question. I like sparky and star trek ship. Iron man maybe?

What a great toy could be? And obviously it should fit in this game... hmmm.... not sure...

What i do know, since the ghostbusters speculating topic, our members can come up with fantastic ideas and better toys than stern and jjp. There is hardly any innovation on the toy department.

And.... i love toys in a pin. I remember being a young lad, finding a new pin wondering what to do, and what will happen if i shoot there, etc etc. Stern pins you know what will happen with the ball within 1 minut of looking at the playfield.

I kinda missing that ‘wondering what will happen’ with almost all modern pins.

Edit

The ark in indy stern is also great! Do not like the pin, such a great theme, what happened there haha?

#110 5 years ago

I personally would have been very happy with all the archer features. They eliminated the subway , vuk, vari target , left lift ramp ,out lane kick back.

They just took too much out imo

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I love the barn in the walking dead

So the barn doors swing open and reveal a target, that's pretty cool. So that was 4 years ago?
SW doesn't, GOT doesn't on pro level, does Groot do anytihng in GOTG? Aerosmith has ball throw to trunk...Kiss had Gene head which wasn;t well recieved...
EDIT: Ring was horrible in WWE...
EDIT2: GB? Magno slings in Prem+...if you call Slimer the main toy than we can chaulk that one up as shit right now

Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not personally amazed by the multi ring target, ...

I own the damn thing and I forgot it was multi ring until you reminded me. I remember thinking it was a cool idea, but yeah in real gameplay I don;t know how much it does....I'm trying to hit the middle anyway

#112 5 years ago

Updated to .97 code.

More i play the more i love it!

Different strokes you know but the shots and nuances in this game are genius. Reminds me of Pat Lawlor creativity.

#113 5 years ago

Batman 66 ...the carousel

#114 5 years ago

"What do you do when your dream theme is a let down'

You don't buy it. Simple.

#115 5 years ago

GB...... manga slings, ramp to subway transition and slimer.

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Batman 66 ...the carousel

Quoted from hoby1:

GB...... manga slings, ramp to subway transition and slimer.

Haven't played carousel but it looks pretty cool.

Again, can we call something a "main toy" if every level doesn;t have it? Slimer was lame, and I'm never going to count a freakin subway as a main feature

#117 5 years ago

Yes Maiden does shoot good but can you tell me one other stern pro that has zero moving parts. Crazy

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Haven't played carousel but it looks pretty cool.
Again, can we call something a "main toy" if every level doesn;t have it? Slimer was lame, and I'm never going to count a freakin subway as a main feature

Whether you like GB or not, it is more feature packed that any other game in over a decade

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Yes Maiden does shoot good but can you tell me one other stern pro that has zero moving parts. Crazy

Star Wars?

Quoted from hoby1:

Whether you like GB or not, it is more feature packed that any other game in over a decade

It's Prem+ is more feature packed yes.

#120 5 years ago

I do agree with the comments about the multi target ring not being that great of a thing. At first I thought it sounded cool, but it seems unlikely to be able to hit that thing with the pinpoint accuracy that is required coming off that ramp.

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Just goes to show that "feature packed" doesn't mean shit when it comes to how good/bad a pin will be.

#122 5 years ago

Star wars in fact has no "moving parts."

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Just goes to show that "feature packed" doesn't mean shit when it comes to how good/bad a pin will be.

I like GB so I guess that’s not really a good reference

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I think a SW Prem's my next purchase. Was going to get a Maiden but I like SW way more

SW is not better than Maiden. The right ramp and hyper drive ramp are tight shots. Maiden is so much more satisfying shot wise.

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

SW is not better than Maiden. The right ramp and hyper drive ramp are tight shots. Maiden is so much more satisfying shot wise.

Played both Hank and I disagree

#126 5 years ago

I’d like the center target on Maiden better if the game gave better feedback on which ring you hit, and how it matters. Maybe a graphic on the screen showing which ring was hit? If there was an opto on the ramp there could even be a music/image lead-up to it, but I don’t think there is...

#127 5 years ago

That is a good and fair question. I like sparky and star trek ship. Iron man maybe?
What a great toy could be? And obviously it should fit in this game... hmmm.... not sure...
What i do know, since the ghostbusters speculating topic, our members can come up with fantastic ideas and better toys than stern and jjp. There is hardly any innovation on the toy department.
And.... i love toys in a pin. I remember being a young lad, finding a new pin wondering what to do, and what will happen if i shoot there, etc etc. Stern pins you know what will happen with the ball within 1 minut of looking at the playfield.
I kinda missing that ‘wondering what will happen’ with almost all modern pins.
Edit
The ark in indy stern is also great! Do not like the pin, such a great theme, what happened there haha?

90s pins had far more unique mechanisms, subways and diverters, it made the whole experience much more layered and mysterious. I think beyond the cost, Stern just has this almost religious opposition to subways which is in large part why there’s the feeling of knowing exactly what will happen in a second of looking at the playfield.

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

90s pins had far more unique mechanisms, subways and diverters, it made the whole experience much more layered and mysterious. I think beyond the cost, Stern just has this almost religious opposition to subways which is in large part why there’s the feeling of knowing exactly what will happen in a second of looking at the playfield.

If they re themed Road Show and that layout and those mechs today people would absolutely lose their ever loving minds!

#129 5 years ago

Linear Lonnie on software is what happened. I love that layout. Love the scoop under the newton ball gimmick. So much potential. It's way too late to hope for an update on that one or I'd own it.

#130 5 years ago

Iron Maiden is just loaded with shots, I don't think it needs any kind of 'toy'.

The gameplay and shot variety is enough to keep me entertained.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its real simple. If you dont like the game then just dont buy it, dream theme or not. BM66 is a dream theme for me but i didnt buy one. The Munsters is another dream theme for me and if it sucks im not buying it. With that being said though, i dont see how anyone that loves pinball wouldn't like this game. IMDN is awesome game in every way!

I have Batman 66 obsession. My son is named Grayson after Dick Grayson. I've met Adam West and Burt Ward and even sat in the batmobile.
Why did they have to make a Batman 66 pin that LOOKS so great at first glance but sucks. Btw the nice mellow jazz isn't helping anyone stern
Metallica pro
Iron Maiden Pro
Monster Bash remake?

#132 5 years ago

iMaid is the best game that Stern has made since AC/DC preem. And I LOVE Met and TWD. Maybe try another copy of the table and see if that particular table that you first played on was the issue.

Whatever you do, have lots of fun!

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

All I've wanted for the last 5 years is this theme. I've loved the band since I was a kid, and watched games like Metallica (another dream theme of mine) turn out to be spectacular. I've now played Iron Maiden a bunch of times, and the playfield feels empty. A couple of paper thin plastic Eddies, an anti-climactic center shot and a half sized flipper that doesn't add up to much of anything.
I decided to give it more of a chance after the initial disappointment of playing it at Allentown, then found it on location in Philly. $25 later it still just feels kind of lame and I'm really bummed about that. My wife lost her mind over AC/DC Luci at Allentown, and I actually find myself agreeing with her after playing both side-by-side. I know I'm comparing a Premium to a Pro, but the Iron Maiden Premium still doesn't seem to compete. Didn't think I'd be saying this in a million years, but it looks like AC/DC is the next game in the lineup. What a fumble.

There is no way that acdc aka t2 rehash is better then maiden

#134 5 years ago

OK...gonna rewind a bit...when Metallica first came out and LE’s had not started shipping I checked out a Metallica Pro side by side to a WOZ I was torn...Metallica was kick ass..Sparky and the animations were sick and WOZ was beautiful...but the gameplay of Metallica sold me after just a couple plays. Fast forward.....I checked out IMDN pro a couple weeks ago...it was fun but I am not “blown away”. Need more time on it. Music fits the game shots are good but just does not captivate me like Metallica did.

Now to the ops topic...Kiss was my dream theme. The throwback art package was great especially on the LE with the foil decals. I got an LE but it was my dream theme and no regrets...it is a very fun game and very underrated. Now I do think they had the wrong people designing...I have some ideas and may just have to build my own if I ever want to see Kiss as it should have been done.

It really sucks when you can’t connect with a game that is a theme you want to like. Save your money and spend more time on it as you find you enjoy it and can always pick one up later....good advice for any new pin purchase.

#135 5 years ago

Disagree!! The le is amazing. Can’t stop playing it!! Am absolute blast to play. Great shots and some cool music that’s for sure. Added some lights to make it pop!! Finally got some good playfield glass, blades and shaker from Stern all in one game. Just need a topper included and I would be set.

F204188A-B709-4833-8CE7-A180239B4695 (resized).jpegF204188A-B709-4833-8CE7-A180239B4695 (resized).jpeg

6011D0FE-2F9B-4A63-A293-70B73B56FC60 (resized).jpeg6011D0FE-2F9B-4A63-A293-70B73B56FC60 (resized).jpeg

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I have Batman 66 obsession. My son is named Grayson after Dick Grayson. I've met Adam West and Burt Ward and even sat in the batmobile.
Why did they have to make a Batman 66 pin that LOOKS so great at first glance but sucks. Btw the nice mellow jazz isn't helping anyone stern
Metallica pro
Iron Maiden Pro
Monster Bash remake?

Batman66 is honestly a good game now but when it released it was a complete disaster and wasnt ready ro be shipped to customers. There are lots of people that really love BM66 now and say its a great game. I like it pretty well also but i dont like the fact that you cant get a pro model and the inflated price tag. I can't bring myself to pay that kind of money for one but i do love the theme and the game in general. Its a beautiful looking pin.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Star wars in fact has no "moving parts."

The lift blades? And drop targets on pro... which is less common.

And has a second monitor in lieu of other parts. That’s not a cheap one

#138 5 years ago

Edit: Radagast got in first

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

What other Stern pro has 4 flippers and drop targets?

It's cool to not like the game, or just not understand how to shoot the upper flippers, or to want a toy or whatever.

But I find this narrative that it's 'empty' or decontented somehow very odd. 4 flippers, drop target bank, spinners, newton ball, and because it doesn't have some piece of plastic with an opto or a switch that you bash it's not a full game?

#140 5 years ago

I only have had a chance to play 4-5 games on this table but I found to be very enjoyable with great code already. I too think the multi ring target isn’t satisfying but atleast they tried something different.

The fact a main toy is absent doesn’t bother me a bit. The fact it has spinners, drop targets, newton ball, and probably something else I’m forgetting on the pro is awesome!

I’m probably looking at listing my Fish Tales to help fund my next pin purchase which was most likely going to be a TWD but Iron Maiden has me second guessing.

#141 5 years ago

3 steel ramps, 2 spinners, 4 flippers, 3bank of drops, newton ball, bullseye target, 3 pops, uppost and RGB LEDs. Keith spent the entire budget on standard playfield parts instead of toys. A different, but certainly not incorrect, approach to designing a pro game.

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

RCT. IMDN is better.

#143 5 years ago

If you need to, imagine that bullseye target as a "bash toy".

#144 5 years ago

I played Iron Maiden Pro on route and was kind of meh. To be fair, it was loud in the barcade and I couldn’t really hear the music or sound effects. I bet in a quiet home setting, this game is probably pretty cool.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The lift blades? And drop targets on pro... which is less common.

I'm talking pro only, and only replying to his point Iron Maiden has no moving parts. So I'm assume he's not counting drops or posts as moving?

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's cool to not like the game, or just not understand how to shoot the upper flippers, or to want a toy or whatever.
But I find this narrative that it's 'empty' or decontented somehow very odd. 4 flippers, drop target bank, spinners, newton ball, and because it doesn't have some piece of plastic with an opto or a switch that you bash it's not a full game?

The sad thing is people forget what TOY means.... and are ignoring real pinball elements.

#147 5 years ago

I think there's a reason IMDN doesn't have toys. A lot of toys slow machines down. IMDN is meant to be fast, non stop action. I don't like it when a magnet stops the ball or when the ball has to go through a toy mode and stop play. I'm sure Stern thought of it, but this game is meant to be pure adrenaline.

#148 5 years ago

I want more games with toys to distract me from poor, tired, and uninspired pinball design too.

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

WPT

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I know how you feel
This happened to me w/Star Wars
My deeproot still hurts from it

Fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-what-do-you-do-when-your-dream-theme-is-a-letdown/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.