(Topic ID: 217401)

Iron Maiden: What do you do when your dream theme is a letdown?

By TOK

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RJL
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
6011D0FE-2F9B-4A63-A293-70B73B56FC60 (resized).jpeg
F204188A-B709-4833-8CE7-A180239B4695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4631 (resized).JPG
IMG_4633 (resized).JPG
ron-burgundy-glass-case-of-emotion (resized).jpg
3945C0B7-2F7E-499A-943B-94306B5397AE (resized).jpeg
point-counter-point-SNL (resized).jpg

There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 5 years ago

Q: Iron Maiden: What do you do when your dream theme is a letdown?

A: Move on?

#52 5 years ago

That’s got to be disappointing to not be in love with your dream theme. Maybe loving the theme so much and having expectations about it is what makes it disappointing. Personally, I’m not a Maiden fan and I’m usually not overly impressed with new Sterns but I really really like this game. It feels more “boutique” like and strange then their typical games of late.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Q: Iron Maiden: What do you do when your dream theme is a letdown?
A: Move on?

I guess that's a better answer than hot gluing a carton of Iron Maiden action figures to the playfield to make it look like there's more going on.

#54 5 years ago

This is how I felt after the Stern Star Wars reveal.

ron-burgundy-glass-case-of-emotion (resized).jpgron-burgundy-glass-case-of-emotion (resized).jpg

However the only game I've ever bought on the spot and brought home from a pinball show is Iron Maiden. Not my dream theme, but fun as hell.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I guess that's a better answer than hot gluing a carton of Iron Maiden action figures to the playfield to make it look like there's more going on.

I've seen the game... havne't played it, but it looks like one of the more full-featured STERN pro games to be released in quite some time....

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Regarding GOTG: you need to play it with the latest code. It has made a 180 on code and it is a lot of fun. I never played a IMDN yet, so cannot say anything about that.

I've played it. Code does not fix the bad shot geometry on the left ramp and airballs. Plus the call out are still horrible. It's just not good.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

This is how I felt after the Stern Star Wars reveal.

However the only game I've ever bought on the spot and brought home from a pinball show is Iron Maiden. Not my dream theme, but fun as hell.

I played Star Wars and Guardians Of The Galaxy at Allentown, too. Between those and Iron Maiden, it was the first time I've spent a substantial amount of time playing Spike based games and was a bit alarmed that all of them seemed lacking to me.

Guess I need to spend some more time on Maiden, I have to be missing something.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I played Star Wars and Guardians Of The Galaxy at Allentown, too. Between those and Iron Maiden, it was the first time I've spent a substantial amount of time playing Spike based games and was a bit alarmed that all of them seemed lacking to me.

Try it again. Lots happening.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/iron-maiden/pro/IM%20Backstage%20Pass%20Rules.pdf

#59 5 years ago

It's perfectly ok to not like a game.

#60 5 years ago

I think you actually have to get into a groove to appreciate this game. It might not be loaded with toys, but four flippers and a ton of shots. The code is very good at the point.

FWIW my biggest concern was the music. I listened to IM for a week straight waiting for my pin and could not get into it and figured I made a mistake. (Pin has made me do a 180 though)

I thought the gameplay would be good, but surprised how great Iron Maiden music goes with pinball. I agree it's not loaded with toys, but it's much more then 1 lame shot up the middle. The little flipper alone has three shots to aim for. It’s awesome and the game has some serious flow. I only added one figure, but it helped make the game look more complete in my book.

IMG_4631 (resized).JPGIMG_4631 (resized).JPGIMG_4633 (resized).JPGIMG_4633 (resized).JPG

#61 5 years ago

Completely original pin (designed outside of Stern) is one of their best pins released in years.

First of all, thank you for posting your personal opinion and not just blindly following the herd. Even though I disagree with you it’s really OK to have your own opinion in this world - people like different things at different times. There is nothing wrong with you. I am still trying sooo hard to love DI because people say it’s the best pin ever. I play and play and I can see it’s one of the best shooters in recent years and I love love JJP but I will probably need a lobotomy to get over the theme - somehow I just don’t get it - somehow it’s just not for me and I might be the last human on Earth with that opinion (I do like it a bit more though). And that’s OK because people like different things.

Anyway, I thought IMDN was really good but perhaps you were just such a big fan and waited so long that your epic-level expectations could only be let down. It may also be that you like (require) toys in your games more than others and that’s cool too.

Always remember that you don’t have to love it now - you may warm up to it in two years or ten years from now. So many games to enjoy so no rush.

#62 5 years ago

You have every right to love or feel letdown on any pin you play/own. I get down voted all the time for saying Hobbit is one of the most boring disappointing games I've ever owned. Looks beautiful, but its such a snooze turd fest because after a while, pop up trolls and multi balls get really old when there are no satisfying shots, ramps, etc. and Smaug has almost no interaction with the game. Just think how impossible it would be to trade your pins if everyone had the EXACT same reaction/feelings for pins?!?

#63 5 years ago

I feel exactly opposite to you:

What do you do when the greatest pinball machine of the decade has the worst possible theme?

#64 5 years ago

What do you do when your dream theme is a letdown? Regardless of theme, I would never purchase a pinball machine where I didn't like the gameplay. The theme is just the icing on the cake.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

It's a true 'players' game, not so much a bling, collector's type of game.

I prefer this type of game, whereas others prefer JJP, more packed playfield type of game.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

Wow, this topic proves once more that there is only one opinion that matters on Pinside, that of the majority. If you deviate, you are considered a troll.

Agreed, and kudos to the OP for having the courage to say "Hey, um, I know this may sound nuts, but I don't like the game."

I am with him on this one, which is a total shame (for me) because I was super-crazy excited about this one. I was ALL about getting a premium; I wanted it so badly based on what I SAW on the Pro, but then I remembered "Get some game time on one first. Do not buy a $5700+ toy on looks alone". I waited until I went on temporary duty at Wright-Patterson the first week of May, and I drove to Columbus to finally get my hands on one. Man, was I pumped - this is it - the most fresh unique and different game to come from Stern in YEARS, and I'm about to play it up!!!

Now, I made sure I did not watch a single video clip of the game in action. I wanted to experience it for the first time when I played it. So I knew nothing about the rules or what to do, and I do think that was what absolutely destroyed my initial impression of the game. I just found myself going "How do I get the "Lock" insert to turn on solidly? Why is it flashing this time? Why is it not flashing now? I hit all 3 drop targets 48 times in a row. Why am I not getting ball locks? Is the top right flipper a lil' cock-eyed off the trim? Can I even make any shots with that now? Hey, look at that - the initial plunge doesn't even make it all the way around the loop. Oh look, another miss on the left ramp into the left outlane."

I played the game for 4 hours, wanting to justify a $5700+ purchase. I got a number of replays and match games, so I probably spent a solid $20-$30 on it. Yes, I played it for 4 straight hours. I kept looking behind me - no one was ever there, so I had from 9pm to 1am (closing time) to play it, and I just felt an overall "meh". Music was great, call outs were great, sounds were great, animations were very fun - but the gameplay was kind of like walking into the bathroom and hearing a guy "lifting weights" in one of the stalls - too much effort for too little results.

I see the nearly chauvinist attitude here towards the game, which hey, if the rest of the community "just gets it" - I understand - and I don't mind being the "black sheep" on this one. If everyone else is loving it, great, not everyone has to like everything that hits this hobby. I understand maybe I need to brush upon the rules and get to know them better, and then try again. Problem is I live in a pinball wasteland where whatever games there are available to play are basically what's in your living room, and I'm not driving 4+ hours each way to play IMDN nor am I blindly buying a Pro or Prem in the hopes that "I'll like it this time." I know what my fiancee and I want to get next, and I'd rather get some of those games down the road. Thank you TPF 2018 for that : )!!!

I just think the rest of the community that "gets it" with IMDN needs to mitigate some of their crass responses. Just because you get it doesn't mean the OP is 5 cans short of a 6 pack. No need for that shit.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I'm definitely not trolling, it was an honest and what I felt was an unbiased opinion.
Last game I bought was a Star Trek Pro, a game I really thought was great and bought despite a theme that doesn't really appeal to me at all. If nothing else, I'm objective. I won't crap on something good any more than I'd defend something I don't like just because I bought it. I have sort of been coasting in the hobby, playing the games once a month or so and not posting a lot. Iron Maiden was the first thing I've been excited about to get me visiting Pinside on a daily basis again.

Sorry you feel let down. It must suck. I give Stern credit for not following the big toy pattern. The vast majority feel their patience has been rewarded. Sorry you don’t.

#68 5 years ago

It's not uncommon for a theme to be a letdown. People are either upset over the art, callouts, voice talents, layout, code, or whatever. I think the more interest you have in a theme the more critical you are of the game. I have no interest in the band Iron Maiden but you have to at least admit the pin is much different than the typical Stern. Still, if you feel letdown then consider it a blessing that you don't feel compelled to buy another super expensive toy. Plenty of other great pins out there and more to come.

#69 5 years ago

We all like different games.

Guess what, that's ok

I found DI boring but lots of people love it.

Deadpool not far away now so that should make some people happy.

#70 5 years ago

The kids on the school bus wearing Iron Maiden shirts used to throw salami sandwiches at my “Depeche Mode” Head. I can still feel the mustard crusted in my hair. Placed an order for a IM premium yesterday

#71 5 years ago

My dream themes are Nintendo and WWE, doesn't get much worse than that! Imagine Stern is on one of the hottest streaks of their existence, AC/DC, Metallica, Star Trek... even their less praised games like Mustang are still pretty dang good. Then out of nowhere a theme nobody thought was viable actually came into existence with Wrestlemania. And it's one of the worst games since the mid-2000s as if confirming everyone's thoughts "Of course nobody wants this game!".

The Nintendo games are so bad I don't even want to touch them. WWE I'm hoping for at a deep discount one day because most people hate it

#72 5 years ago

Ghostbusters anyone....?

#73 5 years ago

#74 5 years ago

What makes it a top 5 game for me is the amazing combo shots the four flippers allow - ramps to middle to wide loop to short loop, and so on. When you really nail that big inner loop 4-5 times it’s a rush.

The rule setup is really well balanced on the risk/reward scales, and the modes aren’t difficult to understand shot-wise. The multiballs are plentiful without being constant or annoying.

So, great layout, great rules, great theme integration makes it Sterns best since Metallica. So I don’t really understand the op’s issue, unless it’s about the visible “stuff” which I guess there’s not much non-interactive things like figures or whatever.

#75 5 years ago

ACDC is the way to go for the time being and won't be a let down. Don't hesitate. Put it in the line up.
Your wife will be happy!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 5 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

The kids on the school bus wearing Iron Maiden shirts used to throw salami sandwiches at my “Depeche Mode” Head. I can still feel the mustard crusted in my hair. Placed an order for a IM premium yesterday

That is a good story! I’d buy this game even if it was a Depeche Mode theme!

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

What do you do when your dream theme is a letdown?

You join the club of all the other broken hearts/taints around here.

#78 5 years ago

I'd get the ACDC since you and your wife both enjoy it. Theme isn't everything. It's very rare that both a theme and gameplay truly connect for me. Typically it is one or the other which is why I don't currently own the games with themes that I really like (GNR, BTTF, Star Wars, Metallica, etc.)

#79 5 years ago

A man is entitled to his opinion... even when it's wrong.
Seriously though, if you've played it and it's not living up to your expectations, best to save your money for something that feels right, even if you are a Maiden fan.
There are quite a few games out there that people seem to lose their minds about, which really don't keep my interest at all. Conversely, there are games that constantly get poo-pooed on that I think are just a blast to play! Listen to yourself, and ignore the clowns on here.

#80 5 years ago

I don't even like the band, at all, and after I played it a few times at Allentown, I brought one home from the show.

#81 5 years ago

Played the LE yesterday and there were many instances when the game was searching for the ball and had multiple glitches. That said, it was disappointing in that respect but I feel the added features slowed game play and were prone to errors. I fell pro is the way to go and is a fun game, but not knock it out of the park fun. My two cents.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That is a good story! I’d buy this game even if it was a Depeche Mode theme!

Nice, free sandwiches!

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I'm definitely not trolling, it was an honest and what I felt was an unbiased opinion.
Last game I bought was a Star Trek Pro, a game I really thought was great and bought despite a theme that doesn't really appeal to me at all. If nothing else, I'm objective. I won't crap on something good any more than I'd defend something I don't like just because I bought it. I have sort of been coasting in the hobby, playing the games once a month or so and not posting a lot. Iron Maiden was the first thing I've been excited about to get me visiting Pinside on a daily basis again.

I can only speculate you either...
a) really like toys
or
b) had no clue what to do on the game and were thrown by that

empty PF? The game has 5 different cross playfield things going on... 3 shots at the bottom of the PF on the left .. including a very cool spinner.. 4 orbit shots and 4 flippers. The game has more variety in what to shoot at than most games in recent history. Then add in the very engaging rules that reward you for doing things BETTER rather than just 'hit everything' and it's a killer combination.

The game is one of the most refreshing layouts in ages.

Have you not watched Elwin's guided tour of the rules?

This game has got risk/reward shots... it has carrying jackpot awards... it has multipliers... it has modes with variety... it has wild combo rules.. it has frenzy-style objectives.. it has looping awards.. it has flowing ramps.. it has deep multiball rules and not just 'everything is lit!'.. it has easy shots, it has challenging shots.

This game is overflowing with stuff to make you reach... and yet isn't a redonkulous stupid drain hog like GB or Starwars.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion... but some you have to question.

#84 5 years ago

I feel AC/DC is the best stern game and somebody really put some time and thought into Ghostbusters. That play field has everything in one. Many stern games seem either Hurried or just a Retheme of another game.

#85 5 years ago

I know how you feel

This happened to me w/Star Wars

My pinball butthole still hurts from it

Woe is me

Woe

Is

Me

#86 5 years ago

I played 5 games of IMDN along with my 9 year old daughter. I'm struggling with the fact that I REALLY_ want one, even though I don't like the theme. We had so much fun playing it.

We walked away from the show wanting one. Even though our heart was set on another pin going into it. For even a novice like myself, the game was super fun, and just grabs you. At the end of the day, we've stuck with fun games so far. And this one is ticking everything for us besides theme.

#87 5 years ago

Love the layout! I just think it needs a big interactive EDDIE toy. Love the graphics/artwork though.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I know how you feel
This happened to me w/Star Wars
My pinball butthole still hurts from it
Woe is me
Woe
Is
Me

Elwin could have so easily be assigned to SW instead of IMDN...

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

No thanks SW is just aboot perfect.

#90 5 years ago

Metallica wasn’t great at launch, but over time it became great. Buy ac/dc now, and enjoy it for the next year, then add IMDN in a year if it becomes great for you.

#91 5 years ago

I was never what you'd call an Iron Maiden fan, but I was surprised at how many of the songs were familiar when playing it. I'm a fan of the game and will likely pick one up at some point. I'd say best "out of box" code in a long time. It's also just a gorgeous game, art wise.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm pretty sure SR called dibs on that theme

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No thanks SW is just aboot perfect.

I think a SW Prem's my next purchase. Was going to get a Maiden but I like SW way more

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

All I've wanted for the last 5 years is this theme. I've loved the band since I was a kid, and watched games like Metallica (another dream theme of mine) turn out to be spectacular. I've now played Iron Maiden a bunch of times, and the playfield feels empty. A couple of paper thin plastic Eddies, an anti-climactic center shot and a half sized flipper that doesn't add up to much of anything.
I decided to give it more of a chance after the initial disappointment of playing it at Allentown, then found it on location in Philly. $25 later it still just feels kind of lame and I'm really bummed about that. My wife lost her mind over AC/DC Luci at Allentown, and I actually find myself agreeing with her after playing both side-by-side. I know I'm comparing a Premium to a Pro, but the Iron Maiden Premium still doesn't seem to compete. Didn't think I'd be saying this in a million years, but it looks like AC/DC is the next game in the lineup. What a fumble.

Wow you are one in a million

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I think a SW Prem's my next purchase. Was going to get a Maiden but I like SW way more

I have considered trading my SW Prem for an IMDN Prem but I think my kids will cry or kill me lol

#96 5 years ago

I feel for you , OP. You have your dream theme and it's loved to varying degrees by 90% of the people who play it and you find yourself in the bottom x% who don't like it. I probably wouldn't make a post about it, but it would be a bummer.

(not trying to be snarky here, either, it would indeed bum me out)

#97 5 years ago

I prefer my original 1982 Stern version.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I have considered trading my SW Prem for an IMDN Prem but I think my kids will cry or kill me lol

If it’s like 60/40 cry vs. kill, it’s worth the risk.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from Radagast:

What do you do when the greatest pinball machine of the decade has the worst possible theme?

Buy it, then change Game menu setting #164, Music attenuation to +60.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I thought there was no comparison between the two after playing them--Maiden was the much better playing pin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 24.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 300.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
Trade
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-what-do-you-do-when-your-dream-theme-is-a-letdown/page/2?hl=xbmanx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.