Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 161 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by tamoore
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which theme would get your money?”

• Archer 163 votes
      59%
    • Iron Maiden 115 votes
      41%

(278 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

revengeofthenerds (resized).jpg
    D68F7C6B-6730-4480-B67F-630B1F984C8E (resized).png
    b30d187522c0fcc21c8ab9402e12cf9d10f9bb12.jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Metal+plane_71f1d6_6411693 (resized).jpg
    Ar1 (resized).png
    c76478e353f8f45cc68c4fa77701a474 (resized).jpg
    archershotmap (resized).jpg
    There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 6 years ago

Up the Irons!

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

Or we can imagine that since stern saved alot on the r&d they'll be kind and give us all the things we love.

Actually the opposite is true. They already completely developed the game under JT and had to trash that design and do a second design. Even give a head start the second time around this has to be one of the more expensive development cycles Stern has done. Shame to spend so much for such a second tier theme like IMa.

#53 6 years ago

Based upon the polls so far, I find it somewhat ironic that they rethemed a game into something that is evidently less desirable (at least on pinside). I would assume that's mostly due to the US voting Archer and the world voting IM. IM never got played on the radio in the midwest where I was, in fact I still know zero of their songs to this day, but I was familiar with their album covers/artwork growing up. Maybe they should have done like they did with Nascar/Grand Prix, Archer for the US and IM for the world.

#54 6 years ago

Keith's design is awesome and Stern should use it for both Maiden and Archer. It is not new territory for them and this way everyone gets what they desire.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

Keith's design is awesome and Stern should use it for both Maiden and Archer. It is not new territory for them and this way everyone gets what they desire.

Thats the best idea yet, like they did with Family Guy and Shrek.

#56 6 years ago

Guys and gals, can we use IMDN? All this IM being thrown around is just wrong!

#57 6 years ago

I don't think I ever watched an Archer episode. I am so down for Maiden but will NOT pre-order or even buy one until I play it. I have been unimpressed with most new games.

#58 6 years ago

I have dreamed of what Lana would look like in real life, and recently marathon watched Archer on Netflix before they shut it off.
    Great show, and I'm likely buying either way as I love Iron Maiden too.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Guys and gals, can we use IMDN? All this IM being thrown around is just wrong!

It's IMa

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

IM is a dream theme for me. LE already reserved. Don't know what Archer is and don't really care to.

Same for me never heard of Archer or watched but always wanted a Maiden pin and one of the first that started asking for it maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

#62 6 years ago

All this thread is teaching me is there are more people who should at least sit down and watch the first couple episodes of Archer. I personally find it highly amusing.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I just can't imagine Iron Maiden would sell a ton. I know it has its loyal fan base, but it is a small fan base and then combine that with a small hobby and I just can't see this thing selling 1000s of units. I could be wrong, but we will see. The only thing I think that will help it is if Keith totally nails the layout and the code is amazing.

You obviously don't know much about Maiden. Their world wide fan base is massive and rabid for their merch, especially in South America and Europe.

#64 6 years ago

If Archer was here he’d tell you all that the 80s called and it wants it's cargo shorts back.

PS: what is with pinheads and cargo shorts anyway?

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

If Archer was here he’d tell you all that the 80s called and it wants it's cargo shorts back.

He'd also say screw Iron Maiden, where's Kenny Loggins?

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

He'd also say screw Iron Maiden, where's Kenny Loggins?

Danger zone...

#68 6 years ago

Iron Maiden, easy!

#69 6 years ago

Maiden by a mile.
    Also, I've been watching Adult Swim since the beginning when they warned you to get out of the pool. Liquid Television was awesome! I remember Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted Animation Festival rolling through town a few times... and sorry to say this, but I just don't like Archer. Actually, I think it sucks.
    Not clever and H John Benjamin is now overused. ( I miss Coach McGuirk)

#70 6 years ago

Archer never heard of her, Iron Maiden all the way!

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from nasco62:

Archer never heard of her, Iron Maiden all the way!

Ditto.

#72 6 years ago

I know a few songs of Iron Maiden but never even heard of Archer before I saw Keiths whitewood...
    To be honest not much interest in either theme

But I wasn't interested in Aerosmith either and I love playing that game!
    So really need to play this one before making up my mind

#73 6 years ago

Whether you like Maiden or not, I have a feeling the artwork is gonna blow everyone away. What better way to attract people on location? Stern is incredibly smart with this theme. How do you attract newbies and the casuals, looks! One of rocks most iconic creations (Eddie) in the hands of Zombie Yeti, yes please!

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

You obviously don't know much about Maiden. Their world wide fan base is massive and rabid for their merch, especially in South America and Europe.

I said they had loyal fan base but that fan base is small especially in America and then out of those who is going to buy a $6000+ pinball machine? I grew up late 70s and early 80s and grew up on heavy metal amd never got into IM. Even out of all my friends there might have been a couple who listened to IM. It is a small fan base compares to gnr, met, acdc, etc.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

So they can carry their iron maiden cassette tapes around in them

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Whether you like Maiden or not, I have a feeling the artwork is gonna blow everyone away. What better way to attract people on location? Stern is incredibly smart with this theme. How do you attract newbies and the casuals, looks! One of rocks most iconic creations (Eddie) in the hands of Zombie Yeti, yes please!

Ya know it’s funny, I think Iron Maiden music is ok, brief stint liking them as a youngster. However I’ve always enjoyed their art. I think the art is what draws me into the possibilities of what this pin can be. Iron Maiden will be the sound but the artwork and brand will tell the story and create the environment. Just my take on it.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I said they had loyal fan base but that fan base is small especially in America and then out of those who is going to buy a $6000+ pinball machine? I grew up late 70s and early 80s and grew up on heavy metal amd never got into IM. Even out of all my friends there might have been a couple who listened to IM. It is a small fan base compares to gnr, met, acdc, etc.

When you say you grew up in the late 70s early 80's I'd be curious to know what your age range was, say between 1979-1985, when Maiden truly hit their stride and amassed most of their fan base. In my opinion you would have had to be in the 13 to 17 year old range to truly get into this or any Heavy Metal band as an early true fan. It's the same reason I don't really listen much the Beatles or Elvis. They changed the world musically, but I wasn't there as a music consumer to notice.

#78 6 years ago

The only place I have ever heard of Archer is on pinside.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

When you say you grew up in the late 70s early 80's I'd be curious to know what your age range was, say between 1979-1985, when Maiden truly hit their stride and amassed most of their fan base. In my opinion you would have had to be in the 13 to 17 year old range to truly get into this or any Heavy Metal band as an early true fan. It's the same reason I don't really listen much the Beatles or Elvis. They changed the world musically, but I wasn't there as a music consumer to notice.

So you're saying there is only a 6 year window of people that would be really into this pin/group????

#80 6 years ago

Wonder what it'll look like when the Stern knife gets done taking all the fun out of it?

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Wonder what it'll look like when the Stern knife gets done taking all the fun out of it?

Maybe not much as it sounds like everyone here is either not getting it, or buying the LE.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

So you're saying there is only a 6 year window of people that would be really into this pin/group????

No not at all. It's perfectly normal to get into earlier or later bands. It's just that I remember being the most impressionable musically in those years.

When Maiden were just starting out it seemed like a bit of rebellion to actually start listening to them and liking the crazy looking artwork on their album covers. I know at least for me it was absolutely the album cover artwork that drew me and my friends into them. I was 15 and thought it was cool to like them. Turns out they were an extremely technical tight band with good tunes to boot, so it was a win win. By 87 they had been around for quite a while and the shock value had worn off a bit. People were onto the next things like Metalica, Megadeth, GnR, etc. For instance, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Zeppelin were a bit before my time and although I LOVE these bands now, I had to kind of make myself listen to them a lot before I appreciated them.

Woody76 just made me think of this when he said he and his friends weren't into Maiden and I wondered how old they were at the time Maiden exploded. I'm pretty sure bands like Maiden and Judas Priest were also big in the States in the mid-80's. Just watch the trailer for Heavy Metal Parking Lot

#83 6 years ago

Great to read everyone’s feedback on this poll.

While the actual votes are pretty close, the Maiden fans do seem to be more passionate in their responses. So maybe Stern is on point with their theme selection, particularly if they want to move 500+ Le’s.

If it’s a great shooting game with good rules I don’t think theme really matters that much for the pro and even premium buyers. However for Le sales I think theme does play a much bigger role in the purchase decision.

From the pinside feedback I would say Iron Maiden as a theme sells more Le’s and at a quicker pace. Looking at overall sales and even potential coin drop on location I think Archer would hold its own and may be an even more desirable theme then Maiden.

Personally I voted Archer, only because I think Pinball in general benifits from humour being incorporated into the game. Archer might not be the right title to reintroduce some light hearted fun into the hobby , as it is a rather niche and very adult theme, maybe Deadpool will fill this void.

Either way here’s hoping Keith and the whole Stern team knocks this one out of the park.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I really feel there is not much stuff on the archer layout that would be very expensive to build?

2 ramps,
    4 flippers (wpt, monopoly, wwe-ish, )
    Orbits n loops, a center ramp thingy with spinner?

What else?

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

I really feel there is not much stuff on the archer layout that would be very expensive to build?
    2 ramps,
    4 flippers (wpt, monopoly, wwe-ish, )
    Orbits n loops, a center ramp thingy with spinner?
    What else?

They might amaze you!
    I think it would be great if they left it all in. It would be a truly original layout for them.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

You do realize they sell out every single show they do right? Just because your friends and you didn't listen to them doesn't make their fan base small. I know there are a lot of guys out there that I know who aren't pinball people, but are Maiden fans and will buy a game (heck, it came up at George Clinton with my friends on St. Patrick's. They all want one, and have the means to do so.)

I seem to recall that these same arguments were heard when AC/DC and Metallica came out too.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

So they can carry their iron maiden cassette tapes around in them

Lol, definitely ain't condoms.

#88 6 years ago

Archer for me. The endless source material will make for a fun game with great humor. Even though I'm sure the IM art package would be cool I'd much rather have a Beatles or Phish pin.

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

Archer for me. The endless source material will make for a fun game with great humor. Even though I'm sure the IM art package would be cool I'd much rather have a Beatles or Phish pin.

Ugh, a Phish pin would have ball times in the 30 minutes range

They could, however, so a nice "fog/smoke" multiball ala BSD.

#90 6 years ago

I guess I’m in the minority that likes both Iron Maiden and Archer, so I’d like to see both of them get pins. But I wouldn’t buy either based solely on the theme.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

You do realize they sell out every single show they do right? Just because your friends and you didn't listen to them doesn't make their fan base small. I know there are a lot of guys out there that I know who aren't pinball people, but are Maiden fans and will buy a game (heck, it came up at George Clinton with my friends on St. Patrick's. They all want one, and have the means to do so.)
    I seem to recall that these same arguments were heard when AC/DC and Metallica came out too.

Overall, the american iron maiden fan base is small just like the pinball hobby is small. You are combining 2 small fan bases so odds are this thing will not sell like crazy. Insane Clown Posse has a very loyal fan base and they sell out every show also, so what is your point? I have said this before, if Keith nails the design and they provide amazing code it will do OK. If it is that good then I will buy it and swap the music out. Stern is going to have to absolutely nail it for this thing to be a success. They have not nailed anything lately so I hope they do.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Insane Clown Posse has a very loyal fan base and they sell out every show also, so what is your point?

Clearly we need an ICP game. Just imagine how many magnets it would have.

#93 6 years ago

First and foremost IM is not Iron Maiden...it's Iron Man and always will be. Going to need something else for Iron Maiden...maybe IrMa?

2nd...where's the option for neither?

#94 6 years ago
    #96 6 years ago

5 Years from now...........”Who is Archer?”
    50 Years from now...........”Iron Maiden Rocks!”

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

5 Years from now...........”Who is Archer?”
    50 Years from now...........”Iron Maiden Rocks!”

and then ... Why is Archer on this pinball machine and why doesn't Iron Maiden have a pin made after them yet?

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Overall, the american iron maiden fan base is small just like the pinball hobby is small. You are combining 2 small fan bases so odds are this thing will not sell like crazy. Insane Clown Posse has a very loyal fan base and they sell out every show also, so what is your point?

Maiden sells out stadiums, ICP sells out clubs. Slight difference in attendance numbers.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

and then ... Why is Archer on this pinball machine and why doesn't Iron Maiden have a pin made after them yet?

Exactly

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from EdisonArcade:

Maiden by a mile.
    Also, I've been watching Adult Swim since the beginning when they warned you to get out of the pool. Liquid Television was awesome! I remember Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted Animation Festival rolling through town a few times... and sorry to say this, but I just don't like Archer. Actually, I think it sucks.
    Not clever and H John Benjamin is now overused. ( I miss Coach McGuirk)

Thumbs up for Home Movies reference.

There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-vs-archer/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.