• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by KingHebes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi

I've got an Iron Maiden which fails to boot up after the initial switch on and totally lost as to what might be the problem. Power is there and leds come on on the main pcbs but it then fails to go through it's initial boot up sequence where the screen comes on and then playfield lights etc.

Have swapped over most components with a GOTG pro which I also have which is very handy to be able to test the bits from IM in it and all seem to work fine in GOTG but of course cannot still get IM to start properly.

Here's a summary of what we've done to try to find the problem. As I say we're lost as to why it won't work and have run out of things to logically test.

- the game was bought second hand. The seller insists it was working when the courier collected it. It was then stored for a couple of weeks, most likely in a cold place before being delivered to me. When I plugged it in it would not start fully.

- On power up, you can see the 4 leds on the main Spike 2 cpu, the red led on the power distribution pcb and a red led on both node 8 and 9 within the cabinet/playfield. It does not then go to the next step of loading the software with the screen energising and playfield lights coming on etc that you would normally expect.
- We have tested that 48v is coming into the pdb (47.8 to be precise) (measured on wide connector on pdb between grey and black wires).

Have swapped the following over with a working GOTG pro:

- Spike 2 pcb from IM put in GOTG pro with SD card from GOTG and boots up fine
- SD card from IM put in GOTG pro and boots up fine with data cables disconnected (to avoid confusing GOTG nodes)
- power distribution board swapped between both machines and both work in GOTG but don't make IM work
- cable between main cpu and pdb
- power lead
- plugged IM in a different plug socket

Have switched IM on with data cables disconnected to test that node boards on playfield are not causing a problem as should boot without these connected as GOTG does but IM doesn't so therefore assume that nothing wrong with node boards.

So not sure what else to test!

Does the Spike pcb need some input apart from the SD card to boot up? What else could cause IM not to boot up?

We've tested that the IM Spike cpu, SD card and pdb are all good and we have 48v coming in so not sure what else to test or can be the problem but it still won't start up past initial switch on.

What we've not yet swapped as can't think could be the problem but can do as required:
- power supply (not sure I want to fiddle with this given lack of electrical knowledge and surely if 48V is coming in OK this is fine)
- LCD screen
- nodes 8 and 9

Getting desperate now as to what to do and would really appreciate any ideas from anyone on here who understands the system better than the seller and me.

I've been in contact with Stern over the past week. They initially said SD card was corrupt but worked fine in GOTG and got a copied replacement which didn;t make IM work. Since then have not yet been able to come up with any further thoughts and emails have just been their information gathering so far.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas or if anyone has ever come across this before.

Cheers
Greg

#2 5 years ago

Feel for you . Wish I knew anything to help. Hope you get it figured out. Spike 2 owners most nightmare .

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from robotgreg:

On power up, you can see the 4 leds on the main Spike 2 cpu, the red led on the power distribution pcb and a red led on both node 8 and 9 within the cabinet/playfield. It does not then go to the next step of loading the software

This tells me your power supply is good. You could test the Guardians PCB in Maiden to double-check.

Quoted from robotgreg:

- power distribution board swapped between both machines and both work in GOTG but don't make IM work

I'm guessing there is a connector problem in Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Pro)
Your PCB & SD card work in Guardians so you know they are good.

#4 5 years ago

I've found the problem so posting here for future reference. It was the Spike 2 pcb.

After much further swapping and reseating connectors the one thing I should have done, which I didn't because it wasn't logical, is to put the known working pcb in the non working machine.

This succeeded so I then put the pcb from the non working game in the working one and it was fine initially which is where I was misled before when I swapped pcbs, because I thought the pcb was OK but it then crashed and wouldn't boot. So definitely something wrong with the pcb but seemed odd how it initially worked fine in the other machine.

1 week later
#5 5 years ago

I had a similar issue with my Kiss Pro. When it powered up did you see Stern on the DMD? The resolution for me was to unplug remove the battery from the board and wait five minutes for the system to hard reset then power back up again. That was about a week ago, everything has been fine so far...

7 months later
#6 4 years ago

Going to investigate a similar sounding issue on a deadpool pro this week. Did stern hook you up with a replacement board or did you have to buy it? My machine is only about a month old and was bought NIB.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-pro-won-t-boot-expert-help-needed?hl=kinghebes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.