(Topic ID: 217485)

Iron Maiden: Pro vs Premium (now with a poll)

By Hammerhead

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 315 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Would you buy IMDN Pro or Premium”

• Pro 257 votes
    50%
  • Premium 255 votes
    50%

(512 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

proxy-image.gif
BC510B42-EE9D-4AD7-8E23-5930E9064430 (resized).png
20180901_185537 (resized).jpg
IMG_2628 (resized).PNG
CB2C11F5-4185-4E73-A189-7ED215C7E19D (resized).jpeg
42F19C74-7332-48D7-A706-BD6AD207241A (resized).png
KIMG0200 (resized).JPG
70A49831-401D-4202-9095-5CCE3E83DDDD (resized).jpeg
4CB23F49-7072-4CB5-B4BE-41A2CF4B8CD2 (resized).jpeg
692CC7C3-3E7E-4074-B812-F0C1BAEBF34F (resized).jpeg
B469A92D-DC49-4C86-BC54-1C9DFDE900CE (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180606_082603 (resized).jpg
92081F2B-63CA-4B48-9C3D-ECEB6B259152.jpeg
8B9B02EE-066C-47BE-AB01-071B5E005307.jpeg
E4FCD0E8-FE70-4D45-86DD-891B5073677D (resized).jpeg
IMG_8596 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If you do the math the LE has maybe $1000 in cosmetic extras over the Premium and costs $1500 more. What makes the LE attractive is that it's limited in number and should hold it's value relatively well. If you just want to play the full feautured game and don't care about cosmetics the premium is a much better value.

For me the LE mirrored backglass and art is the deal maker. It’s incredible looking. For some reason the “parade-marshall” eddie on the Prem translight really bugs the shit out of me. Too cartoonie or something, not the Maiden I know.

Other than that the other upgrades are nice to have, but any other game I’d be a pro buyer. This one is special.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

This is the crux of my original post. Is the Premium better looking than the Pro with more options, absolutely. Is the extra $1700 worth it is the question.

You can make the same argument about the Pro price.

None of my NiB purchases can be defended in terms of value per $. Some are better value than others, but they are all insanely expensive toys for what you actually get out of them. Of course, the notion that I will probably not lose a large percentage of my purchase $ at resale makes it palatable.

For Metallica, I went Pro and the only thing I truly missed on the Prem was the lightshow and the closing snake mouth.

Maiden for me was a dream theme and when the game came out so incredibly well, solid code and amazing rules and layout I was already mentally in for the whole package. I've only got room for 5-6 games in the house so I'm reaching the point where I'm okay with spending a bit more on a dream theme for the collection. If I had room for 20 games the "but the LE is another whole game" math would probably kick in and I'd go Pro or Prem and put the rest of the $ into another game.

Obviously, everyone has their own value judgement to make based on their situation.

In terms of gameplay differences alone, I like shooting the underworld shot under the central ramp and love the left ramp feed to the lock. Gives a nice short break to wipe your hands and gather your wits about you. But iif I had only played a Pro I wouldn't be any the wiser and still be having a blast playing the game.

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Well that's true. All I've got is my Pro and these 3500 mods. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You'd have to pay me $3500 to look at the ugly slanted Iron Maiden logo everytime I looked at my game...

Wait a minute!

#130 5 years ago

Seriously though, I've got an LE and love it but it was more of an emotional purchase than a logical one.

Stuff that matters to me:
1. Real mirrored BG with amazing Trooper Eddie that most closely resembles the 80's version. This BG is friggin' amazing and the reason I splurged on the LE. The other translites are too "Legends of the Beast" comic booky and rub me the wrong way.
2. Opening tomb on left ramp feels good to shoot. Raised ramp is okay but the opening is really too large and makes it less satisfying to hit than it should be. Should have used a couple small targets on either side of the underworld opening to tighten it up a bit. Nitpick.
3. Upgraded speakers sound great.
4. Shaker is awesome.
5. Metal lit apron is sweet. Hate the plastic ones.
6. Cabinet art-blades are nicely done.

Stuff that doesn't really matter to me in order of not mattering-ness:
1. Eddie figures. These things are terrible quality and look crap. I'd almost rather have the flat plastics at least the art fits in with the game. Ordered the good one that should have came with it from Ebay (Piece of Mind). I'm not a fan of action figures on my games to begin with though.
2. Powder coated rails, lock down bar etc. Nice enough but not really something I care about. Black is good too.
3. Side art. All versions have their merits, the LE is nice with the detailed drawing and the foil effect, but any of them would be fine to me.
4. Being "limited". Though being a popular game and Elwin's first maybe moreso than I would normally care about it.
5. Sarcophagus lock is fun to watch but not sure if it really adds anything over the captive ball on the Pro in terms of shot satisfaction.

So there you have it. My original plan was to pick up a premium and mod the speakers and such as needed but I'm glad I got the LE since I love the BG that much. Everytime I see "parade marshall" Eddie on the Prem translite I kind of want to punch him in the face... it's probably just me.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Wow i haven't seen this red GI but people are not liking it for sure. It's only red in certain(t) modes or what?

Yes, it is a nice effect when it's only the red, but otherwise it's a shitty color wash on the slings and other plastics. They should have spent another couple of bucks and made that handful of red bulbs RGB so they could be normally white and then red or whatever color when needed.

I ended up swapping mine out and have all warm-white bulbs in the none blue sections now. Much improved. It's still dimmer when the dark modes happen, but not as good as with just red bulbs on for them.

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Exactly.
I’ve seen and played nearly all of them, so I know when something special falls in my lap and Iron Maiden is special. I can’t think of anything I would change or dislike really.
Hitting the left spinner is difficult to hit and so satisfying when you do. The ramps are not easy shots and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Sweepable drops? So sweet. Looping the mini flipper? So sweet. Hitting the spinner shot with the upper right flipper? It’s all good.
The geomatry of this game is so insanely excellent, it’s incredible. IM imho sets the bar for others, better or worse, but they’re just not on the same level. The possibilities feel endless when it flows like this.
When the hair is standing up on your arm when you’re launching missles during “two minutes to midnight” you know you’re playing the good stuff.

I couldn't agree more. It's an amazing accomplishment!

One thing I would change is to make the underworld shot more satisfying. If it was a bit tighter and made that satisfying "clunk" sound like the vault on TAF...

3 weeks later
#207 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I prefer the do-it-yourself LE on the premium.
Powder coating “I” like, FF speakers, shaker, actual knocker, Stern HD glass, non-garish t-molding...
$1300 all in savings over ponying up for the LE.
Plus, my NP-LE Maiden is only 1 of 1.
I can live with the non-mirrored translite and missing foil cab art.

I was originally in the same camp but I much prefer the LE artwork and had to have the mirrored BG. I guess I’m just weak...

There’s really no way to justify any of these price points rationally but I have zero regrets. Love my LE!

1 month later
#235 5 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

If it helps at all, when you lose on Premium, you have to wait for the ball in the sarcophagus lock to drain out before you can start your next game (if you have a ball in the lock, anyway), and it's slow, as it goes through the entire movement cycle when this happens. It really breaks the action / excitement for me when I just want to start playing again haha.

As an LE owner I like it when this happens. It's like a second drain that you have to sit and watch to further humiliate you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-pro-vs-premium?tu=fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.