(Topic ID: 217485)

Iron Maiden: Pro vs Premium (now with a poll)

By Hammerhead

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 315 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Would you buy IMDN Pro or Premium”

• Pro 257 votes
    50%
  • Premium 255 votes
    50%

(512 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

proxy-image.gif
BC510B42-EE9D-4AD7-8E23-5930E9064430 (resized).png
20180901_185537 (resized).jpg
IMG_2628 (resized).PNG
CB2C11F5-4185-4E73-A189-7ED215C7E19D (resized).jpeg
42F19C74-7332-48D7-A706-BD6AD207241A (resized).png
KIMG0200 (resized).JPG
70A49831-401D-4202-9095-5CCE3E83DDDD (resized).jpeg
4CB23F49-7072-4CB5-B4BE-41A2CF4B8CD2 (resized).jpeg
692CC7C3-3E7E-4074-B812-F0C1BAEBF34F (resized).jpeg
B469A92D-DC49-4C86-BC54-1C9DFDE900CE (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180606_082603 (resized).jpg
92081F2B-63CA-4B48-9C3D-ECEB6B259152.jpeg
8B9B02EE-066C-47BE-AB01-071B5E005307.jpeg
E4FCD0E8-FE70-4D45-86DD-891B5073677D (resized).jpeg
IMG_8596 (resized).JPG
There are 315 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Should work the same on premium. May need adjustment.

The pro most likely has been on location longer and has had more plays on it.

This is the mummy lock, which I’m pretty sure wasn’t working like that on the premium (since it has an actual physical lock). But perhaps I’m mistaken.

Brand new out of boxes on show floor as I understood it. Might be wrong.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I’m gonna try this tnt. I was at my buddies and took pics of his le for the red placements today. But yea, I’ve seen the video and it looks the same

Tried it tnt.. didn’t seem to work. Not sure if they changed it in the code or it’s only for certain modes, but I’ve got experience on an le and it’s certainly not the same. IMHO not worth the red blotches everywhere.

2 weeks later
#203 5 years ago

I finally got to play the LE. My 2 cents, unless I'm missing something...not much differnet. the ramp going up, the lock from the left ramp, maybe a slighty better light show? back splash lit up a bit more. I did not really notice the eddie figures while playing. the ramp going up was cool to the underworld, but its seems like just a scoop that kicks it back in a few seconds. maybe it's just me, but is it worth the $1,700 upgrade?

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

I finally got to play the LE. My 2 cents, unless I'm missing something...not much differnet. the ramp going up, the lock from the left ramp, maybe a slighty better light show? back splash lit up a bit more. I did not really notice the eddie figures while playing. the ramp going up was cool to the underworld, but its seems like just a scoop that kicks it back in a few seconds. maybe it's just me, but is it worth the $1,700 upgrade?

Actually the jump from Premium to LE pencils out a lot better than from Pro to Premium. Better speakers, clear glass, best art package of all three (Imo), mirrored backglass, foil decals, powder coated armor, shaker, and probably something I'm forgetting. The game play is a little more complex if you step up from the Pro. It doesn't justify the price, but there is more fun if you are willing to pay for it.

#205 5 years ago

I prefer the do-it-yourself LE on the premium.

Powder coating “I” like, FF speakers, shaker, actual knocker, Stern HD glass, non-garish t-molding...
$1300 all in savings over ponying up for the LE.

Plus, my NP-LE Maiden is only 1 of 1.

I can live with the non-mirrored translite and missing foil cab art.

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

My thoughts also which is y i just went with the pro .....

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I prefer the do-it-yourself LE on the premium.
Powder coating “I” like, FF speakers, shaker, actual knocker, Stern HD glass, non-garish t-molding...
$1300 all in savings over ponying up for the LE.
Plus, my NP-LE Maiden is only 1 of 1.
I can live with the non-mirrored translite and missing foil cab art.

I was originally in the same camp but I much prefer the LE artwork and had to have the mirrored BG. I guess I’m just weak...

There’s really no way to justify any of these price points rationally but I have zero regrets. Love my LE!

#208 5 years ago

Well, and there you go. We're gonna illogically spend at least $5,600 on a commercial grade pinball machine, and suddenly then introduce logic to decide on the next $1,700?
We're funny human beings. (Including me!)

#209 5 years ago

I've had the le since release, and I played a pro last week. There are few differences, but they make the gameplay night and day to me. The pro felt like half the game. Money wise, of course the pro is the way to go, but to me it isn't the full game and offers a lesser experience.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I've had the le since release, and I played a pro last week. There are few differences, but they make the gameplay night and day to me. The pro felt like half the game. Money wise, of course the pro is the way to go, but to me it isn't the full game and offers a lesser experience.

I agree and was totally going with a pro..... On paper it dont add up but gameplay feels sooooo much different.

I do like the extras !!!

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

There are few differences, but they make the gameplay night and day to me.

I especially like the short breathing time when locking a ball in the sarcophagus! This game is so intense, it gives a well needed little timeout. Also i dont find the ramps too hard to make, i can nail them quite regularly (as opposed to both loops....)

Starting a mode is definitely easier on LE/Premium, oftentimes a ball dribbles in the underworld scoop that wouldn‘t have made the bullseye target.

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

I especially like the short breathing time when locking a ball in the sarcophagus! This game is so intense, it gives a well needed little timeout. Also i dont find the ramps too hard to make, i can nail them quite regularly (as opposed to both loops....)

I can nail most shots with consistency, including the loops, but the right ramp causes far too many drains if I miss, so I only shoot for it during multiballs. Once in a while I'll break my rule and shoot for it during a mode with single ball. If I miss, I learn my lesson yet again. Let the tilt and swearing begin!

#213 5 years ago

Ok ...... so I did not care wot the loud whistle from the drone motor being over powered. Took it apart and added a resistor in line. Nice and quite now !!!

It also brightened up the cockpit led as the motors not sucking down the 5v on that line.

#214 5 years ago

well I really didn't see much difference except the cabinet art @ Pintastic. Regardless I'm glad I didn't blindly pre-order an Iron Maiden. I'm not a fan. I think they tossed this together too quick with very little thought on how to make it even better. Very lackluster pin IMO. This thing can't hold a candle to Total Nuclear Annihilation! I feel they are similar because both games were pet projects and IMO when Stern saw how well Spooky did with TNA they figured hey we'll take Archer and slap an Iron Maiden license on it and sell the hell out of it....WHO CARES! I CARE! You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger Iron Maiden fan than me and Stern rushed this to the market and really blew a chance to make a great Iron Maiden pin themed around the band and Eddie!

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

well I really didn't see much difference except the cabinet art @ Pintastic. Regardless I'm glad I didn't blindly pre-order an Iron Maiden. I'm not a fan. I think they tossed this together too quick with very little thought on how to make it even better. Very lackluster pin IMO. This thing can't hold a candle to Total Nuclear Annihilation! I feel they are similar because both games were pet projects and IMO when Stern saw how well Spooky did with TNA they figured hey we'll take Archer and slap an Iron Maiden license on it and sell the hell out of it....WHO CARES! I CARE! You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger Iron Maiden fan than me and Stern rushed this to the market and really blew a chance to make a great Iron Maiden pin themed around the band and Eddie!

I played both at Pintastic, I prefer Maiden.

While I liked TNA it didn't really grab me. Of course who can hear anything there, right?

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Gotta be honest I felt the same way until I got to play one in a home setting. Bought a Prem and I tghink its one of the BEST playing game I have ever had. Im not kidding !!!

#217 5 years ago

Played TNA at a show and after a few games thought I was glad I didn't buy one without playing it first. Never went back to it. Played Maiden and was expecting the same reaction (I'm a casual fan of them at best) and couldn't stop playing it (when it was open--there was always a line). Great pin, I was completely blown away.

#218 5 years ago

Just ordered my premium today. Should be here in the next week or three pending distributor receiving a new batch. In the meantime, at least I know it's ordered.

#219 5 years ago

Premium arrived today. Boom!

KIMG0200 (resized).JPGKIMG0200 (resized).JPG
#220 5 years ago

Just upgraded from Pro to a Premium today. For the sake of fairness/accuracy I only have about 20 plays on it. But without question it is a different feel than the Pro. I like the extras that the Premium has and feel(again so far) that it was worth the money. From the Art Package(my personal favorite of the 3) to the extra lighting, underworld ramp, and physical ball lock on the mummy,etc, it just feels like more of a complete package again just in my opinion. No question the Pro is a great game and you can’t really go wrong with any option. Thanks again to Randy at Got Pinball for making it happen! Best, Charlie

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Chicoman -Your bolts are loose!

42F19C74-7332-48D7-A706-BD6AD207241A (resized).png42F19C74-7332-48D7-A706-BD6AD207241A (resized).png
1 month later
#222 5 years ago

I played a friend's premium Maiden this past weekend and must say I really liked it. I'm thinking about getting a Maiden, but am very much on the fence between pro and premium. I usually go for the pro model, but I do like the extras on the premium. My thing is I could get the pro and I would take the price difference between the pro and premium and put towards a game I've wanted for a while- Earthshaker.

I would prefer to buy used, but doesn't look like there are many out there. I'm not against buying new, but would prefer gently used. Can anyone tell me what the "street" price is on both new? I think I read here where people said there was about a $1600 difference between the pro and premium.

#223 5 years ago

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in this thread yet, but you also get an extra mode on the premium\LE as well. Can I play with madness, which utilizes the underworld scoop during the mode. I think it comes up when you get the 3rd tomb treasure. I've never got more than 2, so I haven't seen it yet.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

but you also get an extra mode on the premium\LE as well. Cannot play with madness

That sounds like a feature of the pro model.

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in this thread yet, but you also get an extra mode on the premium\LE as well. Cannot play with madness, which utilizes the underworld scoop during the mode. I think it comes up when you get the 3rd tomb treasure. I've never got more than 2, so I haven't seen it yet.

"Can I Play With Madness". What kind of Iron Maiden fan are you?!

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

"Can I Play With Madness". What kind of Iron Maiden fan are you?!

Ooops! I guess I'm not a very big one. That's OK, still a great pin.

#227 5 years ago

I thought it was "Do not play with matches."

j/k. Every time I hear it I make up new words while I'm playing

#228 5 years ago

<blockquote cite= I much prefer the LE artwork and had to have the mirrored BG. I guess I’m just weak...
There’s really no way to justify any of these price points rationally but I have zero regrets. Love my LE!

My exact feeling Fytr. I’m so glad Stern brought back the mirrored BG.
Along with being one of my favotite pins to play.

#229 5 years ago

I am also having a hard time deciding if the premium is worth it over the pro.

#230 5 years ago

It isn't worth it--no way to justify the extra expense. However, the seemingly minor extra features add so much to the game play it is hard to go back to a Pro.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

I am also having a hard time deciding if the premium is worth it over the pro.

Worth it as far as valie goes for what you get? No but if you like a few extras and the artwork maybe it is. All 3 of these models are amazing and you are gonna be happy whether you go pro or premium either way. The premium is a little more finicky to dial in because of the newton ball switches and there could definitely be alot more maintenance because of the sarcophagus lock and the lift ramp. If that doesn't scare you and you have the extra money then go premium. If any of that bothers you and you want to save a few bucks id definitely go oro and never look back because the pro is a great great game.

#232 5 years ago

A pro is the way to go for this machine. It has the best art package of the three and the added mechs on the premium aren’t worth the money. You can buy the Mcfarlane and Neca Eddie action figures and really deck out a pro. This coming from an LE owner.

#233 5 years ago

played both at rock fantasy. pro all the way. keep the extra 2000 in you pocket.

#234 5 years ago

If it helps at all, when you lose on Premium, you have to wait for the ball in the sarcophagus lock to drain out before you can start your next game (if you have a ball in the lock, anyway), and it's slow, as it goes through the entire movement cycle when this happens. It really breaks the action / excitement for me when I just want to start playing again haha.

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

If it helps at all, when you lose on Premium, you have to wait for the ball in the sarcophagus lock to drain out before you can start your next game (if you have a ball in the lock, anyway), and it's slow, as it goes through the entire movement cycle when this happens. It really breaks the action / excitement for me when I just want to start playing again haha.

As an LE owner I like it when this happens. It's like a second drain that you have to sit and watch to further humiliate you.

#236 5 years ago

My buddy just got a pro and its f'n great. I haven't played the other versions, but anyone that gets a pro will be stoked 100%.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from CreepyTom:

A pro is the way to go for this machine. It has the best art package of the three and the added mechs on the premium aren’t worth the money. You can buy the Mcfarlane and Neca Eddie action figures and really deck out a pro. This coming from an LE owner.

Do you know if the figures are made special for Stern or off shelf? If made by Stern I wonder if they would sell the, even if they would I'm sure their price would reflect how proud they are of them.

#238 5 years ago
CB2C11F5-4185-4E73-A189-7ED215C7E19D (resized).jpegCB2C11F5-4185-4E73-A189-7ED215C7E19D (resized).jpeg
#239 5 years ago

Put me in the Premium group - I played a Pro the other day at CarPool, a place semi-close to me, and it just felt kinda empty as compared with the Premium which I played at Allentown. The game also wasn't set up great, which I'm sure was a factor. But to me, the Pro has that "Stern empty playfield" look, whereas the Premium looks "finished". The few mechs which are different are not a major thing. Does it justify the price? Man I don't know.

#240 5 years ago

Piece of mind and somewhere in time Eddies are made by stern but Neca has two figures based on those albums too. You can get all of the Mcfarlane and Neca figures on EBay at fair prices. Save the 2,000 to put towards a Borg’s Munsters or Brian Eddy’s new game. Or you can get a good Bargain Sega/Data East like X-files, Goldeneye, Royal Rumble, Last Action Hero, or a Gottlieb Stargate.

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from CreepyTom:

Piece of mind and somewhere in time Eddies are made by stern but Neca has two figures based on those albums too. You can get all of the Mcfarlane and Neca figures on EBay at fair prices. Save the 2,000 to put towards a Borg’s Munsters or Brian Eddy’s new game. Or you can get a good Bargain Sega/Data East like X-files, Goldeneye, Royal Rumble, Last Action Hero, or a Gottlieb Stargate.

Is it just the toys? I felt like there was other art missing. And I do like the sarcophagus lock that raises up, and the (slightly) different newton ball. The gameplay was fun, still reminds me of a smoother-playing Gottlieb layout. and it REALLY reminds me of The Hobbit, which everyone bitched about non-stop

#242 5 years ago

Thanks for the input. I am leaning Pro. If I want a Premium later I suppose I could just do that.

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Put me in the Premium group - I played a Pro the other day at CarPool, a place semi-close to me, and it just felt kinda empty as compared with the Premium which I played at Allentown. The game also wasn't set up great, which I'm sure was a factor. But to me, the Pro has that "Stern empty playfield" look, whereas the Premium looks "finished". The few mechs which are different are not a major thing. Does it justify the price? Man I don't know.

Pretty sure only pros were at Allentown.....

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Pretty sure only pros were at Allentown.....

Well that puts a big hole in my argument. It was really noticeable - maybe something else was different about the game.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well that puts a big hole in my argument. It was really noticeable - maybe something else was different about the game.

There was one at the show that stood out more than others and y i became a fan of it. The pro is a dam good pin especially with the newest code

#246 5 years ago

I used to think the pro was very close in terms of enjoyment but after last night playing another pro on location it really is a lesser game.

The mummy lock is such a better experience with the real lock. When you start mummy on the pro it launches another ball into lane and on the prem/le you get to physically knock it out and its really alot funner and cooler looking start to the multiball.

The middle ramp is different,its like angled slightly higher in the pro and seems to shoot even easier then the premium.

The second captive ball is just more satisfying to hit then a target.

Shooting into the left ramp diverter tunnel to get sarcophagus lock or pharaoh's tomb award is actually better then I expected and probably more satisfying then the pro.

Starting modes is not a big thing but on modes like Mariner it just feels better to start the second ball with a shot under ramp then hitting the target.

So yeah supper happy I spent the bucks on the upgrades, I believe they really do make it feel like a more fleshed out game. The pro is great if you never played a premium.

#248 5 years ago

I own the LE and like it best. That’s called selection bias, or maybe “Pinside bias”... I’ve played the others as well and they are both great. I’d go premium of the three options unless you want to spend $9k on the LE, which is ridiculous. If you want to save money, get the pro! You’ll love it.

#249 5 years ago

Ok. I’ll talk myself into a pro.

#250 5 years ago

Go for it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

There are 315 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-pro-vs-premium/page/5?hl=joncrox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.