(Topic ID: 217485)

Iron Maiden: Pro vs Premium (now with a poll)

By Hammerhead

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 315 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Would you buy IMDN Pro or Premium”

• Pro 257 votes
    50%
  • Premium 255 votes
    50%

(512 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

proxy-image.gif
BC510B42-EE9D-4AD7-8E23-5930E9064430 (resized).png
20180901_185537 (resized).jpg
IMG_2628 (resized).PNG
CB2C11F5-4185-4E73-A189-7ED215C7E19D (resized).jpeg
42F19C74-7332-48D7-A706-BD6AD207241A (resized).png
KIMG0200 (resized).JPG
70A49831-401D-4202-9095-5CCE3E83DDDD (resized).jpeg
4CB23F49-7072-4CB5-B4BE-41A2CF4B8CD2 (resized).jpeg
692CC7C3-3E7E-4074-B812-F0C1BAEBF34F (resized).jpeg
B469A92D-DC49-4C86-BC54-1C9DFDE900CE (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180606_082603 (resized).jpg
92081F2B-63CA-4B48-9C3D-ECEB6B259152.jpeg
8B9B02EE-066C-47BE-AB01-071B5E005307.jpeg
E4FCD0E8-FE70-4D45-86DD-891B5073677D (resized).jpeg
IMG_8596 (resized).JPG
There are 315 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

but... even with all that, I personally wanted a game with all the features and experience it to it's fullest and closest to how I think the original designer wanted it.

Just say it. The LE gameplay is just a bit more fun right? I don’t think you would sell the pro to buy a premium unless you found it more enjoyable to play.
I to have played that particular LE at Tilt. It’s a great game and sold me on buying a premium. I should have mine very soon.

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Met's dumbass hammer

I like the hammer

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

That is why I have never gone Pro and never will.

I And now that I'm basically out of room and don't have much upgrading to do 8 may be in the same boat...Although i do like getting the pro earlier.

Quoted from PinFever:

I like the hammer

ha plenty do, that was my opinion only.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I have an LE [you're nuts hating the artwork] and I tried playing a pro locally last night. It wasn't nearly as fun to just have a captive ball there without the interactive mechanism. To me it's worth it by far as I like fully featured pinballs, but if you're value conscious, this pro model gives a decent bang for the buck.
I wouldn't say it "slow the game down" as it's just part of the game. The animations fit perfectly with the pauses. It's not like it makes it Twilight Zone stop and go. Nowhere near that.
It's actually kind of a welcome break so you can glance up at the screen and see how your are progressing towards your shots.
my .02

I agree. you are nuts for hating the artwork on the LE yes, originally I did not like the artwork on the LE when I saw the pics, but decided to get one. It looks way better in person to be honest. I think the cabinet artwork on the premium sucks - the yellow is so bad and so glad I decided to get the LE vs. waiting for the art pics to be released on the premium and missing the chance on the LE. The translite on the LE blows the pro or premium away - very cool.

Now, as for your original question pro vs premium. I say for this one the pro is probably the way to go ... if I wasn't such a die hard Iron Maiden fan since I was a teenager then I would of not got the LE. Not sure if I can justify the extras you get in the premium/LE... I mean that diverter / ball lock is ok, and actually like it that it gives you a bit of time to breath because the game is fast. The ramp lifting up is lame - and the shot is so easy / mode start - should have done something different. That bullseye shot should of been a magnet - as usual stern cuts back on anything they can to increase their profit margin.

#105 5 years ago

Premium for me- hopefully will arrive this week. I like the added features and art is fantastic. is it worth the price? who knows, but I plan on making this part of my permanent rock collection. Over time i'll forget about the price difference.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

Premium for me- hopefully will arrive this week. I like the added features and art is fantastic. is it worth the price? who knows, but I plan on making this part of my permanent rock collection. Over time i'll forget about the price difference.

Agreed - once you have the premium home and are enjoying it, justifying the price difference argument becomes moot. The focus switches to enjoyment of the game and maintenance. I don't see anything on the premium causing a significant concern here. If you expect to sell the game within 3 years, you'll need to factor in price depreciation of $1k vs $500 for a pro. Solid advice is to buy whichever model you prefer playing, which you already have. Up the Irons on your purchase.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

If you expect to sell the game within 3 years, you'll need to factor in price depreciation of $1k vs $500 for a pro

Bullshit

Solid advice is to buy whichever model you prefer playing, which you already have

Good advice.

#108 5 years ago

The Pro is an awesome value but I feel like the prem/Le is the entire package.

Disclaimer: I do not factor in artwork just game play. I also am not factoring cost.

I feel like the prem/LE is a bit more fun and the handful of features they offer over the pro have value in long term game play.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from AttilaK:

Now, as for your original question pro vs premium. I say for this one the pro is probably the way to go ... if I wasn't such a die hard Iron Maiden fan since I was a teenager then I would of not got the LE. Not sure if I can justify the extras you get in the premium/LE... I mean that diverter / ball lock is ok, and actually like it that it gives you a bit of time to breath because the game is fast. The ramp lifting up is lame - and the shot is so easy / mode start - should have done something different. That bullseye shot should of been a magnet - as usual stern cuts back on anything they can to increase their profit margin.

Pretty strong words from an LE owner..... Im still debating but I am leaning towards Prem as I have some extra cash right now.

#110 5 years ago

Agreed - once you have the premium home and are enjoying it, justifying the price difference argument becomes moot. The focus switches to enjoyment of the game and maintenance. I don't see anything on the premium causing a significant concern here. If you expect to sell the game within 3 years, you'll need to factor in price depreciation of $1k vs $500 for a pro. Solid advice is to buy whichever model you prefer playing, which you already have. Up the Irons on your purchase.

Same price depreciation for the premiums from my experience? I actually think u have a better chance of recouping more pro money than premium money now that prices are where they are.

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Truth is the Prem/LE is ALWAYS better. Show me one Pro owner who wouldn't do an even trade for one.

Sir I present to you Exhibit A: SW Premium vs Pro. Pro horseshoe is far superior since it doesn't have the fork that impedes the flow of the shot. For that reason alone I'd favor SW Pro over Premium.

That said, in the case of Iron Maiden (and most other Sterns), I agree with your overall statement. There aren't any downsides to the gameplay of the premium in this case, so if money is no factor it's the clear winner in my mind.

Of course it's rare money is no factor, so it's great there is another choice with the Pro too - I really feel like with Iron Maiden you can't go wrong either way! Maybe this is why there is so much debate both sides, they are all good choices.

#112 5 years ago

still need more time on this to pull the trigger on either model.. To soon to tell. I love the Theme .
Grats to all early buyers of the LE because of the Actual small run and how many may have not been Sold but Stocked/horded for the Cash grab it may render later .
Starting to believe the speculation Pin Market is more fun/lucrative than the stock market

#113 5 years ago

I know I need a real live stream kind of setup and the quality is amature. But for those that don't own the game and want to see a little game play and differences that the Premium model has to offer. We made this Facebook live video on the fly Thursday...just because.

https://www.facebook.com/pinballandmore/videos/1810331765690940/?hc_ref=ARSJ8ndSHj3AJbGC2Mww5Z49A2BP-NaUVkoBN7MZg9gD6Kc_PxWqbNHs6J0EE9FTSIo

#114 5 years ago

So ....... now that you u guys have prems are any of you owners regretting spending the extra $$$$ on it with all the ball lock and newton ball issues. Leaning to Prem but would like to here feedback on this.

I have to make a choice by Thursday so please lmk

#115 5 years ago

Just played my Pro again. ZERO regrets, especially considering the trouble LE guys have had.

IMG_8592 (resized).JPGIMG_8592 (resized).JPG
#116 5 years ago

Got to play IMDN for the first time last night in the form of a premium.

Holyshit, what a good game. I mean, I expected that it was going to be “good” based on reviews. But...Wow, what a fun game.

I have a pro coming in a couple of weeks but haven’t played that model yet...Second guessing myself on pro vs prem now. First world problems I suppose.

#117 5 years ago

I like the premium features but hate the art.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I like the premium features but hate the art.

Do you own a premium? Any other info would be great

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Just played my Pro again. ZERO regrets, especially considering the trouble LE guys have had.

Just played my LE again. ZERO regrets, especially considering the the lack of features the pro guys lose out on.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Just played my LE again. ZERO regrets, especially considering the the lack of features the pro guys lose out on.

How is your ball lock , ramp and newton ball working

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

How is your ball lock , ramp and newton ball working

How are they working? 100% after ten minutes of adjustment. You seem to be focusing on those who struggled with adjusting their machines. Remember that 450 were sold, and many, including mine, were easy to adjust. Some didn't need adjusting at all. My STTNG has way more issues than any machine I've ever owned, but I would never get rid of it because of upkeep. More features = more fun at the cost of more adjustment. Enjoy less features and less adjustment if that's what you prefer.

Hold my beer; I'm about to nail the left ramp for sarcophagus lock!

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

You seem to be focusing on those who struggled with adjusting their machines.

Agreed, don't worry so much.
We shouldn't have to explain every machine that this is Pinside and there are threads w/ people asking how to wax a PF going on for 4 years.

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Well that's true. All I've got is my Pro and these 3500 mods. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMG_8596 (resized).JPGIMG_8596 (resized).JPG
#124 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

How are they working? 100% after ten minutes of adjustment. You seem to be focusing on those who struggled with adjusting their machines. Remember that 450 were sold, and many, including mine, were easy to adjust. Some didn't need adjusting at all. My STTNG has way more issues than any machine I've ever owned, but I would never get rid of it because of upkeep. More features = more fun at the cost of more adjustment. Enjoy less features and less adjustment if that's what you prefer.

My Prem came in ..... I just wanna be sure it’s not a contest issue on the main toy.

That’s why I asked

#125 5 years ago

Nice!

Now maybe you can spend some of that on lessons so you can get a real high score instead of that trash

#126 5 years ago

Plus the money you spent on all the plastic toys you installed.

#127 5 years ago

Both are good but the premium isnt that big of a game changer over the pro imo.... especially when you factor in the 1700-2k price increase. I believe most people will be fine with the pro version of this pin.. .much like met.

#128 5 years ago

You'd have to pay me $3500 to look at the ugly slanted Iron Maiden logo everytime I looked at my game...

Wait a minute!

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

You'd have to pay me $3500 to look at the ugly slanted Iron Maiden logo everytime I looked at my game...
Wait a minute!

If I had $3500 every time someone said that... hey wait!

#130 5 years ago

Seriously though, I've got an LE and love it but it was more of an emotional purchase than a logical one.

Stuff that matters to me:
1. Real mirrored BG with amazing Trooper Eddie that most closely resembles the 80's version. This BG is friggin' amazing and the reason I splurged on the LE. The other translites are too "Legends of the Beast" comic booky and rub me the wrong way.
2. Opening tomb on left ramp feels good to shoot. Raised ramp is okay but the opening is really too large and makes it less satisfying to hit than it should be. Should have used a couple small targets on either side of the underworld opening to tighten it up a bit. Nitpick.
3. Upgraded speakers sound great.
4. Shaker is awesome.
5. Metal lit apron is sweet. Hate the plastic ones.
6. Cabinet art-blades are nicely done.

Stuff that doesn't really matter to me in order of not mattering-ness:
1. Eddie figures. These things are terrible quality and look crap. I'd almost rather have the flat plastics at least the art fits in with the game. Ordered the good one that should have came with it from Ebay (Piece of Mind). I'm not a fan of action figures on my games to begin with though.
2. Powder coated rails, lock down bar etc. Nice enough but not really something I care about. Black is good too.
3. Side art. All versions have their merits, the LE is nice with the detailed drawing and the foil effect, but any of them would be fine to me.
4. Being "limited". Though being a popular game and Elwin's first maybe moreso than I would normally care about it.
5. Sarcophagus lock is fun to watch but not sure if it really adds anything over the captive ball on the Pro in terms of shot satisfaction.

So there you have it. My original plan was to pick up a premium and mod the speakers and such as needed but I'm glad I got the LE since I love the BG that much. Everytime I see "parade marshall" Eddie on the Prem translite I kind of want to punch him in the face... it's probably just me.

#131 5 years ago

It's not a real backglass. The last one to have that was ACDC LE.

Also, I found that once the LE is turned on, it's very hard to notice the mirroring effects... the bright LEDs kind of wash it out. Looks great when turned off though.

#132 5 years ago

Has anyone who has purchased a Pro regretting not getting a Premium? If so, what caused the regret?

My collection is a mix of pros and premiums, and my choice usually decided on a machine by machine basis.

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

It's not a real backglass. The last one to have that was ACDC LE.
Also, I found that once the LE is turned on, it's very hard to notice the mirroring effects... the bright LEDs kind of wash it out. Looks great when turned off though.

Turn your backbox LEDs down to 40% and things stay lit and get mirror shiny. To me, there is no noticable difference between the"real" mirrored and this supposed "fake" we're dealing with. They look identical in presentation.

Oh, and the dimmer backbox helps with the small amount of reflection on the pf glass.

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Oh, and the dimmer backbox helps with the small amount of reflection on the pf glass.

Oh hells yeah, first setting i change is the brightness

#135 5 years ago

I am extremely happy with my LE purchase. Is it "worth" the extra cost? No way. Are the extra feature fun, I think so.
Underworld is fun. I like that it adds a different feed than the up post.
Left ramp diverter is fun to shoot.
Lock is meh. It is less cool than I expected. I don't even really notice that the second ball came from the Canon, it just apprars.
Captive balls are nice. Cyborg multiball is much easier.
Red GI. Swapped it out.

But dialing the LE in has been work, and I am not done yet. Seems finicky. Nothing hard, but finicky to get it working as expected.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

Has anyone who has purchased a Pro regretting not getting a Premium? If so, what caused the regret?
My collection is a mix of pros and premiums, and my choice usually decided on a machine by machine basis.

Pro was the perfect choice for me. Not a big Maiden music fan, but it's a fun pin so I'm happy with my choice.

#137 5 years ago

Wow i haven't seen this red GI but people are not liking it for sure. It's only red in certain(t) modes or what?

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Wow i haven't seen this red GI but people are not liking it for sure. It's only red in certain(t) modes or what?

Turns all red during Fear of the Dark and some other modes. I personally love it and can't believe people are replacing it with plain white. The only mistake on Stern's part was not having red, blue, and white lamps like on Met premium. Blue would be awesome on Fear of the Dark.

#139 5 years ago

Huh, weird since people have always seemed to like colored GI during modes before.

Quoted from jkdblaze:

Blue would be awesome on Fear of the Dark.

Yeah that mode need something now that fat ass is gone I miss that guy.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes, it is a nice effect when it's only the red, but otherwise it's a shitty color wash on the slings and other plastics. They should have spent another couple of bucks and made that handful of red bulbs RGB so they could be normally white and then red or whatever color when needed.

I ended up swapping mine out and have all warm-white bulbs in the none blue sections now. Much improved. It's still dimmer when the dark modes happen, but not as good as with just red bulbs on for them.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Yes, it is a nice effect when it's only the red, but otherwise it's a shitty color wash on the slings and other plastics. They should have spent another couple of bucks and made that handful of red bulbs RGB so they could be normally white and then red or whatever color when needed.
I ended up swapping mine out and have all warm-white bulbs in the none blue sections now. Much improved. It's still dimmer when the dark modes happen, but not as good as with just red bulbs on for them.

Star Wars did a great job on the Pro with the GI. It's usually a Premium feature. On Star Wars 3 GI channels, red, white an blue. They use the colors throughout the game, and they are quite impressive in Lightsaber Duel (red and blue switching). I liked it so much I tapped into the 3 channels and attached undercab lighting corresponding to each of the three colors. Nice effect. It seems as they are doing something similar on Iron Maiden, only using 2 channels. Once they get brighter RGB LEDs for GI, we are going to see some cool FX. WoZ has it, but the leds are not very bright on the GI so the effect seems to be diminished by the copious amount of insert lights on the playfield.

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

E4FCD0E8-FE70-4D45-86DD-891B5073677D (resized).jpegE4FCD0E8-FE70-4D45-86DD-891B5073677D (resized).jpeg
#143 5 years ago

I sold my DI LE to fund this purchase so it put the "pinball account" in the black. It was an easy decision for me to go premium. I even considered a customized one but that didn't work out. Looks like I might buy some lighting mods and possibly have some powder coating done too.

Big thanks to Melissa at Cointaker for always making purchases a great experience!

#144 5 years ago

Well ...... Prem is available now , I’m not to concerned about the extra cost and and since the pro has zero moving toys I quess it would be nice to have a few

Picking up it tomorrow. I like that they added a metal lighted apron also

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

My collection is a mix of pros and premiums, and my choice usually d

T-800 in post #99 talks about selling his pro to buy a premium. I’m not sure about ragrets.

Quoted from bigd1979:

Both are good but the premium isnt that big of a game changer over the pro imo.... especially when you factor in the 1700-2k price increase.

I think it’s more like $1500 not 2grand. Also my premium is being delivered tomorrow so Can I play with madness!

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

T-800 in post #99 talks about selling his pro to buy a premium. I’m not sure about ragrets.

I think it’s more like $1500 not 2grand. Also my premium is being delivered tomorrow so Can I play with madness!

Pros are 5600 in most cases and premium is 7300 so around 1700. I got a 19 play huo pro for a great deal so it made my choice super easy and save over 2k. I was going premium but very happy with the pro version in this case.

#147 5 years ago

Just bought a Pro. I can honestly say it’s the greatest pin I’ve ever played, which just dethroned Tron as my favorite pin of all time. Forget the good looks, incredible code and gameplay, the thing flows like a river if you are a good shooter. Hitting left ramp, right ramp, top spinner, loop loop loop loop loop? GTFO!

Amazing game.

Edit- paid $5500 cash picked up, nib.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I can honestly say it’s the greatest pin I’ve ever played

Considering your collection history - that is a huge statement.

#149 5 years ago

Just received my Pro yesterday. It is amazing!

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah that mode need something now that fat ass is gone I miss that guy.

Oh he's still in there. I saw him the other day. Easter egg for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.50
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

There are 315 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-pro-vs-premium/page/3?hl=raegor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.