(Topic ID: 217485)

Iron Maiden: Pro vs Premium (now with a poll)

By Hammerhead

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 315 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Would you buy IMDN Pro or Premium”

• Pro 257 votes
    50%
  • Premium 255 votes
    50%

(512 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

proxy-image.gif
BC510B42-EE9D-4AD7-8E23-5930E9064430 (resized).png
20180901_185537 (resized).jpg
IMG_2628 (resized).PNG
CB2C11F5-4185-4E73-A189-7ED215C7E19D (resized).jpeg
42F19C74-7332-48D7-A706-BD6AD207241A (resized).png
KIMG0200 (resized).JPG
70A49831-401D-4202-9095-5CCE3E83DDDD (resized).jpeg
4CB23F49-7072-4CB5-B4BE-41A2CF4B8CD2 (resized).jpeg
692CC7C3-3E7E-4074-B812-F0C1BAEBF34F (resized).jpeg
B469A92D-DC49-4C86-BC54-1C9DFDE900CE (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180606_082603 (resized).jpg
92081F2B-63CA-4B48-9C3D-ECEB6B259152.jpeg
8B9B02EE-066C-47BE-AB01-071B5E005307.jpeg
E4FCD0E8-FE70-4D45-86DD-891B5073677D (resized).jpeg
IMG_8596 (resized).JPG
There are 315 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 5 years ago

Time for another Stern IMDN thread? Sure, why not.

Finally got a chance to play IMDN at Allentown. Found the game to shoot and play great, and the theme for me is a hit as well. I wasn't really planning on another NIB purchase, but this one has me rethinking that. Love the Premium artwork the best of the three, hate the LE.

I've only had time on a Pro. From the videos I've seen for the Premium, some elements like the sarcophagus ball lock almost look like they slow the game play down, waiting for the mechs to operate to lock the ball, etc.

So, for those who've had a chance to play both, is the Premium worth the additional $1700 over the Pro?

Apologize in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I'm not going to search 30 other IMDN threads to find out.

#2 5 years ago

I got the pro didn’t see enough difference to spend the extra money. Instead I spent the extra money to get Pinball Refinery edition which in my opinion will blow away the stock premium version. Will post pictures when I get it includes all kinds of extras.

#3 5 years ago

I have an LE [you're nuts hating the artwork] and I tried playing a pro locally last night. It wasn't nearly as fun to just have a captive ball there without the interactive mechanism. To me it's worth it by far as I like fully featured pinballs, but if you're value conscious, this pro model gives a decent bang for the buck.
I wouldn't say it "slow the game down" as it's just part of the game. The animations fit perfectly with the pauses. It's not like it makes it Twilight Zone stop and go. Nowhere near that.
It's actually kind of a welcome break so you can glance up at the screen and see how your are progressing towards your shots.
my .02

#4 5 years ago

I was originally going to get a premium but I decided to go pro the main reason I decided to go pro is I like the artwork better don't get me wrong I think the premium art is cool but I just love that trooper cabinet. I also thought the playfield differences where not that major and did not really change the gameplay of the game so I decided to save money and get the pro.

#5 5 years ago

I have a premium reserved. Have any been delivered yet. I would like to see photos of it in the real world. I wasn't overly impressed with the LE until more pics came out. Really, really want to love it.

#6 5 years ago

I have played both Pro and LE and have ordered the Premium.

I thought the extra mechanisms in the LE were totally worth the extra money and it helps to know that it was Elwin's intended original design.

I also like the Premium art package the best, but art is very subjective.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from pin15:

I got the pro didn’t see enough difference to spend the extra money. Instead I spent the extra money to get Pinball Refinery edition which in my opinion will blow away the stock premium version. Will post pictures when I get it includes all kinds of extras.

Have you seen it or got a description of features/add-ons?

#8 5 years ago

I’ve put a few hours on each, ordered a premium. I like the way the LE plays more.
I wasn’t to keen on the LE art until I seen it in person, it’s awesome!

Edit: misspelled stuff

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

[you're nuts hating the artwork]

"Hate" is probably too strong, but I dislike it the most.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

I’ve put a few hours on each, ordered a premium. I like the way the LE plays more.

I agree and feel you have to play them both to appreciate the extra features. I was playing the pro for a few weeks and after watching videos of the LE I was skeptical if the extras even added that much. However after playing the LE for a few hours I wouldn't want one without the features now. The pro is still an amazing game for the price so you can't go wrong either way

Quoted from RVH:

I wasn’t to keen on the LE art until I seen it in person, it’s awesome!

The foil decals are really nice in person and you cannot capture how they look with pictures. The backglass is amazing and looks so much nicer then my other machines with translites.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

The foil decals are really nice in person and you cannot capture how they look with pictures. The backglass is amazing and looks so much nicer then my other machines with translites.

I have an LE but prefer the Trooper artwork on the Pro model.
To each their own.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I have an LE but prefer the Trooper artwork on the Pro model.
To each their own.

Did I say the LE artwork is better? All I said is I like the effect of the foil decals and backglass on the LE in person.

#13 5 years ago

Was gonna go premium also bc i love the artwork but im not sure the extra features are worth the over 1700 price difference.

#14 5 years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Stern not making the premium with Metallic Royal Blue powder coat (think Wolverine X-Men LE, but maybe a little darker) is a missed opportunity. I'm sure Stern doesn't think so from a price standpoint, but I think from an art package/wow factor standpoint...miss. Someone with Photoshop skills should make this happen so we could all see it.

#15 5 years ago

i am going with pro. seems its still alot of bang for buck.
you should add poll to this thread.

#16 5 years ago

Good idea, poll added.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Stern not making the premium with Metallic Royal Blue powder coat (think Wolverine X-Men LE, but maybe a little darker) is a missed opportunity. I'm sure Stern doesn't think so from a price standpoint, but I think from an art package/wow factor standpoint...miss. Someone with Photoshop skills should make this happen so we could all see it.

Anyone who's seen the original Powerslave album art knows this to be true. At the very least change the yellow t-molding on the head to blue.

05 powerslave.jpg05 powerslave.jpg

80637-iron-maiden-wallpaper-2560x1440-for-meizu.jpg80637-iron-maiden-wallpaper-2560x1440-for-meizu.jpg

#18 5 years ago

I have been playing the pro that we have on route at a local bar quite a bit. I set up a friends LE Friday and played a few games. Really didn't see much difference in game play from the pro. The Borg jackpot style shots at the right flipper are really cool. The ramp lock is neat because of how fast the 2nd ball pops out when mummy multiball starts. There was also some kind of crazy strobe light thing going on during Powerslave that I did not notice on the pro.

I definitely think the LE is more fun to play, but the pro plays just fine. I am getting a premium but would say the best bang for the buck is the pro. The pro art is closest to classic Iron Maiden too so that is a win.

I have been holding back on saying this but I think \m/ might be the most fun Stern ever.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

It's actually kind of a welcome break so you can glance up at the screen and see how your are progressing towards your shots.
my .02

Thanks for this statement - I think that just iced it for me to get the Premium - been on fence between the Pro/Prem. For value the Pro is hard to beat and agree not a lot of step up to the Premium in features/art. But the game is fairly fast and hard to look up a lot as you progress. I really like pauses in games where I can level set myself where I am and take a longer look at the animations (and grab a quick sip of my beer ).

It's nice to have a title where all 3 versions are great and offer something for everyone.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

I have a premium reserved. Have any been delivered yet. I would like to see photos of it in the real world. I wasn't overly impressed with the LE until more pics came out. Really, really want to love it.

I have my LE at home and set up. Plays great and is one of the best games ever IMO. I was very worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations as it is my first and likely only NIB. Took a few pics on my iphone but they look like shite so I won't even post them. Not sure how much longer for the Prem models but I think Prem over Pro is well worth the difference. The Pro in the showroom of my dealer didn't impress me, it was Prem or LE for me and I am happy the wife pushed me to the LE.

#21 5 years ago

Steve,

Played a LE last night and it's Pro all the way. You won't be missing much and it's so much cheaper, especially here in Canuckistan.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Steve,
Played a LE last night and it's Pro all the way. You won't be missing much and it's so much cheaper, especially here in Canuckistan.

Hmmmm. I’ve been saying that all week.

#23 5 years ago

I'm back on the Pro/Prem fence damn it. Been reading the 29 IMDN threads and seems like some issues with the mechs on Prem/LE that are not necessarily fix once and forget it. Seems like potential design problems that could lead to longer term issues/more frequent adjustments needed.

#24 5 years ago

I always go pro.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I always go pro.

I always play first to decide and in the few games I’ve bought I have always went pro.
This time I ordered premium.

#26 5 years ago

Shooting under the jump ramp is far superior to starting the modes. Vs having to nail the back target.

For that the premium is a no brained.

My 2c

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Shooting under the jump ramp is far superior to starting the modes. Vs having to nail the back target.

Hey if you got 17 hundo so a ramp moves then there you go.

#28 5 years ago

Pro if you want 100% reliable captive ball and Orb mechs unless you like ball searches and taking the glass off to adjust switches. Bonus points for non color-bombed GI lighting too.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Pro if you want 100% reliable captive ball and Orb mechs unless you like ball searches and taking the glass off to adjust switches. Bonus points for non color-bombed GI lighting too.

C'mon Mike... thats just ridiculous. Lets not turn a couple of leaf switch gaps into the next Metallica Hammer (also gets a bad rap). My captive balls are 100% reliable.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

C'mon Mike... thats just ridiculous. Lets not turn a couple of leaf switch gaps into the next Metallica Hammer (also gets a bad rap). My captive balls are 100% reliable.

I mostly kid but it does seem like there have been issues with the sarcophogus mech on every LE stream I've seen. Even the Premium/LE games I own (TWD/ACDC) seem to have more glass off moments then their Pro counterparts. That darn TWD crossbow was a PITA the first month I owned it and it took a lot of monkeying with the left ramp to get it to shoot right... And those lower playfield stand-ups on ACDC suck as well. Pros are just more reliable overall.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

My 2c

I would think Feeding the Upper flipper would be better than dropping it down to the bottom, no?

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I would think Feeding the Upper flipper would be better than dropping it down to the bottom, no?

Depends on the mode. Definitely not better for Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I was watching owl's stream. When it opens up after the mode start it feeds right flipper perfect for a drop catch (check out 17:00). Gets you into the mode faster, and also gives you a moment to breath. Also it's a lot easier to hit, vs hitting a power shot up the ramp to the target.

Is it worth the extra $$? Well to me yes. I want the best version of the game.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I was watching owl's stream. When it opens up after the mode start it feeds right flipper perfect for a drop catch (check out 17:00). Gets you into the mode faster, and also gives you a moment to breath. Also it's a lot easier to hit, vs hitting a power shot up the ramp to the target.
Is it worth the extra $$? Well to me yes. I want the best version of the game.

Yeah the lift ramp is awsome.
I thought it was gonna be dumb before I played an LE but it’s just great fun.

#35 5 years ago

Lift ramp is a great idea of course. Def wish the pro had it

#36 5 years ago

I wonder if Stern will sell the Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time figurines from the Premium/LE separately? The plastics on the Pro look so cheap in comparison.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I wonder if Stern will sell the Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time figurines from the Premium/LE separately? The plastics on the Pro look so cheap in comparison.

No, that would undercut future LE sales. Plenty of really nice figures available out there. I'd void the MacFarlane POM Eddie that for some reason looks odd - more like Lurch than eddie. Others are nice.

#38 5 years ago

I think the premium is the money package here (IMHO) it just has seamless theme integration and most of the bells and whistles of the LE. I really feel you LE buyers should get a more customizable product for the amount of scratch you are laying out, but that's just one man's opinion.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Depends on the mode. Definitely not better for Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

I'll take the free shot at one of the upper x targets are the beginning of the mode. Usually at least one of those is needed to get your multipliers going. I'd rather the ball start at the top for every mode because of this.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'll take the free shot at one of the upper x targets are the beginning of the mode. Usually at least one of those is needed to get your multipliers going. I'd rather the ball start at the top for every mode because of this.

On my Pro, if I hold up the left flippers during the ball release, it bounces off a rubber on the right and deflects for a safe catch on the left flipper, perfect for a shot at the target for Rime.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I think the premium is the money package here (IMHO) it just has seamless theme integration and most of the bells and whistles of the LE. I really feel you LE buyers should get a more customizable product for the amount of scratch you are laying out, but that's just one man's opinion.

Do the math on the extras that come with the LE. I think all 3 models are awesome, but the Premium is the worst value overall.
That said, if you buy one and it’s a keeper, it’s still “great value”, but not as great as the others.
-upgraded playfield glass
-shaker motor
-side armour
-artblades
-metallic side art
-mirrored back glass
-upgraded speakers

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Do the math on the extras that come with the LE. I think all 3 models are awesome, but the Premium is the worst value overall.
That said, if you buy one and it’s a keeper, it’s still “great value”, but not as great as the others.
-shaker motor
-side armour
-artblades
-metallic side art
-mirrored back glass
-upgraded speakers

Ok. But the premium is still for sale. The LE isn’t. So who cares?

#43 5 years ago

I wouldn't turn down the Premium graphics package, but the real question is would I pay for it... nah

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

-shaker motor
-side armour
-artblades
-metallic side art
-mirrored back glass
-upgraded speakers

If you do the math the LE has maybe $1000 in cosmetic extras over the Premium and costs $1500 more. What makes the LE attractive is that it's limited in number and should hold it's value relatively well. If you just want to play the full feautured game and don't care about cosmetics the premium is a much better value.

#45 5 years ago

I bought both and have them side by side. Premium all day.

#46 5 years ago

Gotta love these vs. threads after each Stern release. The “value” comments stay familiar as uncle Gary keeps rising those prices!

#47 5 years ago

4 Premium's in route to our store that will be here, Tuesday. I"ll be happy to take pics and add them on this thread.

One of the Premium's is for our home. I've played the Pro and the LE and was hooked. Had to order one for the casa.

Ice cold and waiting for me for Tuesday night

IMG_5198 (resized).jpgIMG_5198 (resized).jpg

#48 5 years ago

Trooper beer ready for when my premium shows up as well.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If you do the math the LE has maybe $1000 in cosmetic extras over the Premium and costs $1500 more. What makes the LE attractive is that it's limited in number and should hold it's value relatively well. If you just want to play the full feautured game and don't care about cosmetics the premium is a much better value.

For me the LE mirrored backglass and art is the deal maker. It’s incredible looking. For some reason the “parade-marshall” eddie on the Prem translight really bugs the shit out of me. Too cartoonie or something, not the Maiden I know.

Other than that the other upgrades are nice to have, but any other game I’d be a pro buyer. This one is special.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Bonus points for non color-bombed GI lighting too.

Well, you got me there. I took all those red LEDs out and just put in normal white bulbs like the others. I can't stand when color is under GI [metallica being the only exception as it somehow works with the plastics on that game].

I tried blue and purple and still washed out the plastic's color. It's still an OK effect with fear of the dark [being same as pro]. If they had additional bulb sockets that were only active during those modes, it would be much better ala Space Station or Black Rose etc....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.50
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 315 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-pro-vs-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.