7D28D625-218C-47A0-8F2B-8CAA8D193D4B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20181029_210222 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181029_195947 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181029_221200 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180919-162414 (resized).png
IMG_20180919_162358550 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Question about Iron Maiden (Pro).

In the back loop, between the two up-posts, there's these problems, causing a ball trap back there, which gets the ball stuck:

1) The back loop is gently curved at its peak, instead of having a sharp point. So, that creates a flat area for the ball to become stuck at, because gravity won't be much of a help anymore, as the ball is happily resting against a level surface, with no incentive to roll downward.

2) The back loop is also the landing area for balls that are shot at the bullseye (like Lord of the Rings). So, the playfield back there quickly gets pockmarked with little craters, which create friction.

3) The back loop contains some Mylar, in an effort to protect from the above, but that isn't sufficient. The Mylar itself gets crinkled, and is lifting up and crumpling in some places, creating even more friction.

So, all these stack together, creating a situation in which the ball often gets stuck back there. The player has to shake the game pretty hard to get the ball out, sometimes resulting in a tilt.

Are there any known workarounds?

Here's two ideas from brainstorming:

1) Cut some stiff clear plastic and put it on the playfield back there, which would create a smoother and stronger surface. The disadvantage would be that it would create an edge versus the rest of the playfield, possibly causing another ball trap.

2) Bend the metal ball guide that's the front edge of the back loop, in an effort to prevent the ball from coming to a rest there. The disadvantage would be that it would make the loop narrower, possibly causing the ball to become stuck, and it wouldn't really solve the problem of the surface becoming pockmarked.

Any thoughts?

Josh

#2 5 years ago

I had a similar problem on Tron. It was never as bad as it sounds like it is for you, but ball trail dirt meant that the ball didn't travel around it particularly friction free, and would occasionally get stuck.

Since cleaning and waxing it twice the problem went away.

Perhaps you could try waxing the area?

#3 5 years ago

Make sure the up post on the right side is level with the playfield? The ball can rest at either up post, so it can roll out the right side too, mine is a little slow when it is caught at the right post and releases, but a hitting a flipper is always enough to get it going.

I have no crumpling or issues with the mylar there though, sounds like you might need to remove the piece that's there and reapply if the ball hangs on that...

#4 5 years ago

I'm having the same issue with the mylar at the back of the loop and i'm looking to buy a mylar kit. Any idea where I can get one? It's becoming worn out and the ball is getting stuck quite often.

1 month later
#5 5 years ago

My Premium is doing the same thing, and my Mylar is coming up bad. I talked to Stern, and they are just sending me new Mylar I need to replace myself. I hope I don't balls it up. Check out how bad it is though. 3100 plays. Pretty much is played non stop at The Silver Ballroom in St. Louis..

IMG_20180919_162358550 (resized).jpgIMG_20180919_162358550 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180919-162414 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180919-162414 (resized).png
1 month later
#6 5 years ago

Mine has been sticking since day one. Got a new mylar set from stern. Spent 4 hours last night taking it apart, removing mylar, clean, wax, new mylar. Ball still sticks on the guide. So it's not just torn up mylar but the torn up mylar makes it even worse cause the ball slows down and can easily rest on the ball guides flat spot next to the two rivets. Here is before and after shots of mylar damage and a shot of the ball stuck AFTER the new mylar.

It is not sticking on the up post, nor the mylar.... just 100% the ball guide. Really need a fix as no one wants to play this new game, coin drop is way down because the ball gets stuck every game.

IMG_20181029_195947 (resized).jpgIMG_20181029_195947 (resized).jpgIMG_20181029_210222 (resized).jpgIMG_20181029_210222 (resized).jpgIMG_20181029_221200 (resized).jpgIMG_20181029_221200 (resized).jpg

#7 5 years ago

Random thought that you've probably already checked.. looks like there is a magnet there, have you checked that this isn't sitting proud or below the playfield?

Did you wax the new mylar?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from ngreenup:

Mine has been sticking since day one. Got a new mylar set from stern. Spent 4 hours last night taking it apart, removing mylar, clean, wax, new mylar. Ball still sticks on the guide. So it's not just torn up mylar but the torn up mylar makes it even worse cause the ball slows down and can easily rest on the ball guides flat spot next to the two rivets. Here is before and after shots of mylar damage and a shot of the ball stuck AFTER the new mylar.
It is not sticking on the up post, nor the mylar.... just 100% the ball guide. Really need a fix as no one wants to play this new game, coin drop is way down because the ball gets stuck every game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I still play and just rage tilt until it finally drains

#9 5 years ago

May be worth making your own mylar strip that is a bit longer so it goes past that point to the right.

2 months later
#10 5 years ago

Anyone have any solutions that worked. I have brand new game and it’s driving me nuts.

#11 5 years ago

Anyone have any solutions that worked? I have brand new game and it’s driving me nuts.Ball seems to be getting held up by ball guide rivots. /blockquote>

#12 5 years ago

Smack the side of the cab when it gets stuck? Worked for me on location.

#13 5 years ago

I took the mylar off altogether and it never got stuck there again.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I’m trying to avoid having to smack the cab. I have to set tilt to almost off to do this. I’ll consider the Mylar....right post is even with playfield. Seems like it will hit left side of post when it comes up. Then it just stayed there instead of falling back to left side of playfield.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Thanks for the replies. I’m trying to avoid having to smack the cab. I have to set tilt to almost off to do this. I’ll consider the Mylar....right post is even with playfield. Seems like ball will hit left side of the right post when it comes up. Then ball just stays there instead of falling back to left side of playfield.

#16 5 years ago

I’m having the same issues, ball getting stuck, and it’s not against the post. Just raised the back legs a little more to see if that would help. Will see I guess..

#17 5 years ago

I tried that also. Helped a little but still happening. Seems to be a common problem with this game. With mine being HUO I might try removing Mylar .

#18 5 years ago

Happens on every single IM PRO I've played on location since the game started shipping. Surprised they haven't fixed that yet.

#19 5 years ago

Wonder if steel post would help....A lot of us Metallica owners switched the divertor post out from plastic to metal so ball will bounce back in to pop bumpers. Works well. I might try switching it to see if ball bounces back instead of just staying up there. Nothing to lose.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Wonder if steel post would help....A lot of us Metallica owners switched the divertor post out from plastic to metal so ball will bounce back in to pop bumpers. Works well. I might try switching it to see if ball bounces back instead of just staying up there. Nothing to lose.

It’s a different shot than Metallica. In met, a hard loop shot would hit the plastic plunger and stop. The metal post caused it to bounce back. In IMDN, the ball tends to get stuck after a soft shot to the pharaoh Target. I had this issue and what corrected it was raising the pitch to 7 and adjusting the post so it was just a little above the pf, maybe 1/2mm.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

In met, a hard loop shot would hit the plastic plunger and stop.

Uff I hated that

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Uff I hated that

Pitch increase did help some with soft pharaoh shots where it just lies there. However I was also getting balls just laying next to the post .I had post 1/2 mm raised like you suggested. Ball search would raise post but ball would not move. I’m experimenting with the metal post and so far I see an improvement . It’s smaller diameter and when it retracts the ball moves down the playfield. There were a few times it didn’t but only took a minor shake. With the plastic post I had to back off the tilt bob or it would tilt. Too early to tell . I can always switch it back. Post is Williams part # 17986.

34BBEDC8-240D-41B2-B080-BC427C352AF8 (resized).jpeg34BBEDC8-240D-41B2-B080-BC427C352AF8 (resized).jpeg7D28D625-218C-47A0-8F2B-8CAA8D193D4B (resized).jpeg7D28D625-218C-47A0-8F2B-8CAA8D193D4B (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#23 5 years ago

Removed Mylar /waxed and much improved. Not perfect but the ball was definitely getting hung up by Mylar . Ball hang up was constant at back loop. Didn’t want to remove Mylar but nothing else worked .HUO game so should be ok. Thanks Sinestare. I’m still using metal divertor up post but will switch back to compare.

1 year later
#24 4 years ago

Had a similar problem with my iron Man had a similar problem with a Iron Man VE that I just picked up. Discovered there is a simple but to adjust under the playfield. Not sure if this pin is the same.

20200217_164055 (resized).jpg20200217_164055 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#25 3 years ago

Hi

I've just bought a NIB pro, sometimes it happens to me too. What I am wondering is that my loop looks different to the ones in the pictures. mine has metal on top, not mylar. this probably is an attempt to avoid the issue, but it still happens.

Did Stern change the design or I am missing something?

EdiT: found this https://www.instagram.com/p/B87ihk8BRNd/?igshid=v8cvna5k4dfi

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-pro-ball-sticking-in-back-loop?hl=seelan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.