• 77 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Lhyrgoif
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpg

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Guys,
I'm totally struggling with this decision. I attended the Golden Gate Pinball Festival and played both quite a bit. They are both great games, but obviously completely different in almost every way.

My 9 year old daughter played both as well, and to my surprise thought Iron Maiden was more fun. And she wasn't too enamored with POTC. So I am considering her opinion a bit here.

I'm a novice emerging skills. I own a TNA and DILE. Both of which we love. My daughter plays TNA most. And as a family we really enjoy CO-OP and play it almost daily together.

Iron Maiden is just a fun game. Super fun shots. The target is a really appealing shot to younger players. Just a big target to shoot for. And because the game is balanced, younger players are well rewarded for just keeping the ball in play. For me, I like the rules, and all the ways to learn and score well.

POTC is just STUNNING in person. Super fun. But stuck on the idea that my favorite part about the POTC movies is the humor. And this is missing from the pin. But the implementation and machine is literally the most stunning thing I've ever seen in a machine. It stood out among all 400 pins at the show.

At this point I'm inching towards a IMDN Premium purchase, with shaker and HD glass. Because it fits in as a "special" shooting pin just like TNA and DILE. So basically I end up with 3 pins that have that extra shot refinement.

Help!

#2 5 years ago

I say this as a HUGE JJP fan (we have owned all 3 previous titles). Get Iron Maiden. It’s more fun. Pirates looks awesome but is way too deep for a family game IMO. The disc isn’t a factor, what they decided to do seems fine. The game is just complicated! IMDN is also fairly deep but you can do stuff easier and IMO it’s also more “fun”.

Compare GOTG recently - looks cool, interface is neat, groot is cool. Pin is not fun at all.

#3 5 years ago

IMDN

JJPOTC from my angle looked way far from being done. If your favorite part of the movies is the movie, then the pin is a big lacking in that area. Get IMDN and play the hell out of it, sell it down the road after JJPOTC is done and actually selling and has the kinks worked out.

#4 5 years ago

besides Iron Maiden being awesome. You are in a position for an awesome diverse set of games.. TNA, DI, Iron Maiden, and then you just need a classic 90's Bally/Williams.

#5 5 years ago

Based on my experience, some

If you are a player? maiden.

If you want to entertain guests, kids, friends, and wow them with superior lcd stuff and toys, go with pirates. They will be much more impressed.

I’d probably take the maiden, but many would opt for pirates.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

But stuck on the idea that my favorite part about the POTC movies is the humor. And this is missing from the pin.

And inexcusable on a $10,000 pin. The license restriction is a huge kick in the shins (like to a lesser extent, GOTG). I would definitely go to Iron Maiden over jj potc.

#7 5 years ago

Pirates. I'm not a big Iron Maiden music fan so that doesn't help in terms of me liking the game, lol. From a software, rules, audio and animations perspective POTC easily surpasses what Iron Maiden offers, not even close. Software work plays a huge part into a games perceived value and I see POTC offering multiple times more the amount of software work compared to Iron Maiden.

Also, the features and theme itself come across as much more fun with POTC in my opinion compared to Iron Maiden. I enjoy playing my pins with family and friends and because of that POTC would be the easy choice. Pirates is all about having fun while the Iron Maiden theme is mostly about death and depressing topics...I choose fun, lol.

Iron Maiden may be more tempting to get now due to it being available earlier but I see Pirates being the game that will have long term staying power. At the end of the day though I would get the pin that you enjoy playing the most.

#8 5 years ago

Well IM doesnt seem to fit 9 yr old girl very well.

Also if we are playing a straight up this or THAT type of question. No buying one then selling it and buying pirates later type of thing. Because thats what i would do if i cared about owning a IM.

to answer the question of just THIS OR THAT no other variables. Its a no question no debate jjp POTC.

#9 5 years ago

I'm getting both and I think both are special games. I need more time on them to say for sure, but if I could only have one at this point I would get IMDN. I think it plays faster and has better flow.

I honestly think both games are homeruns.

#10 5 years ago

Maiden and it’s not even close plays way better

#11 5 years ago

I’m kind of agnostic regarding JJP Potc not having played it so I’d go Maiden. I played the LE last night and was superb compared to the latest Stern pins (I’ve played every Spike game except SW) Iron Maiden is the only Stern I’d buy since they went to Spike.

I just bought DI and Woz, so feel like I have JJP covered, if Potc becomes the real deal I have plenty of time to decide and get it.

#12 5 years ago

Preface: I don't like either theme. I don't like the Pirates movies (although I kinda liked the Stern game) and I disliked/didn't know Maiden music so much that I inquired on Pinside about swapping the music out before I ever played the game.

Upon initial viewing, JJPOTC looks amazing. Played a couple games at expo and thought I wanted one. Went to play one locally a couple weeks ago and I feel 100% different. It just isn't fun. Best LOOKING game I've ever seen, hands down. The idea of lots of the toys is cool, but they just don't make for a game I want to play long-term. The ship is the coolest thing, but that is going to get SO old in a home environment.

Maiden on the other hand blew me away. I only played a Pro, but I have been back a couple times to play it more. SUPER fun risk/reward rules, and the whole package (layout, art, etc.) is great. I can even say I have no interest in swapping out music any more after playing it. The callouts are the main audio focus and the music is pretty secondary and works well in this implementation (again, coming from a total non-Maiden fan). I like some of the extra things included on the Premium/LE, and the Premium art is dope, so I'm actually going to buy one.

If you've already played them and both you and your daughter were leaning toward Maiden, this is a no-brainer. I know Pirates has supposedly deep rules, but if the game ain't fun...Maiden on the other hand is a great mix of "keep the ball alive" and learn the risk/reward strategy, as you already noted.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Guys,
I'm totally struggling with this decision. I attended the Golden Gate Pinball Festival and played both quite a bit. They are both great games, but obviously completely different in almost every way.
My 9 year old daughter played both as well, and to my surprise thought Iron Maiden was more fun. And she wasn't too enamored with POTC. So I am considering her opinion a bit here.
I'm a novice emerging skills. I own a TNA and DILE. Both of which we love. My daughter plays TNA most. And as a family we really enjoy CO-OP and play it almost daily together.
Iron Maiden is just a fun game. Super fun shots. The target is a really appealing shot to younger players. Just a big target to shoot for. And because the game is balanced, younger players are well rewarded for just keeping the ball in play. For me, I like the rules, and all the ways to learn and score well.
POTC is just STUNNING in person. Super fun. But stuck on the idea that my favorite part about the POTC movies is the humor. And this is missing from the pin. But the implementation and machine is literally the most stunning thing I've ever seen in a machine. It stood out among all 400 pins at the show.
At this point I'm inching towards a IMDN Premium purchase, with shaker and HD glass. Because it fits in as a "special" shooting pin just like TNA and DILE. So basically I end up with 3 pins that have that extra shot refinement.
Help!

I've got a 7 and 8-year-old son. JJP Pirates does nothing for them. 0% interest which partially factored into us ultimately passing on it. Iron Maiden though, they've been on it non stop since it arrived. I personally prefer Maiden. I enjoyed the layout of Pirates, but the overall theme didn't really seem to jive with the movies themselves. The lack of humor is what we noticed at TPF. We'll be pumping plenty of quarters into it when it shows up at the local arcade, but I don't see it being part of the lineup at the house.

In my opinion, one of the best choices you can make in this instance is to give your daughter a voice in choosing the next pin. You'll be the dad of the year and have a pinball fan for life just based on that memory alone.

#14 5 years ago

If you're spending more than $7k on a pin, then i vote JJP.

#15 5 years ago

POTC. I like both but pirates edges it out in a close race.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

The ship is the coolest thing, but that is going to get SO old in a home environment.

Yeah I wonder how much set up has to do with the ship. A lot like WWE, I hit it up there and proceeded to bat the ball around hitting the target and exploring the area and kept going and going...... just drained the ball it was so goddamn mind numbing...now this is the FIRST time I got it so that isn't good news.
Now code can fix it a bit but I don't think that boat ever stops a rockin', so i don;t know how you can get the ball out of there. Or you use code to make you want to get it out of there.

#17 5 years ago

IMDN. Played both at Allentown. POTC didn't excite me. Took IMDN home that day.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I wonder how much set up has to do with the ship. A lot like WWE, I hit it up there and proceeded to bat the ball around hitting the target and exploring the area and kept going and going...... just drained the ball it was so goddamn mind numbing...now this is the FIRST time I got it so that isn't good news.
Now code can fix it a bit but I don't think that boat ever stops a rockin', so i don;t know how you can get the ball out of there. Or you use a code to make you want to get it out of there.

I think a switch should activate the ship to rock when u hit the ramp. When the ball is not up on the ship, it does not rock.

#19 5 years ago

I'd get an IMDN Pro and look for a HUO TWD pro. Should be able to get both for about the same price as a JJPOTC shipped.

#20 5 years ago

I say IMDN as well. Like a few others, not a fan of the music or the band, but its a fun pin to play for sure. And I have only played the pro at this point.

I had money down for JJP POTC and after playing at the Ohio show switched to a Houdini. (although JJP POTC is a beautiful pin!)

hope this helps....

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Now code can fix it a bit but I don't think that boat ever stops a rockin', so i don;t know how you can get the ball out of there. Or you use code to make you want to get it out of there.

The ship has two issues: how long you're up there and how often you're up there. Ultimately you want to shoot the ball through the left flap exit to the cannon. This is hard (on some machines virtually impossible) to do. This tended to keep people up in the ship for a prolonged period of time. Beyond that, every shot up that ramp goes to the ship. This would have benefited greatly from a diverter where you needed to qualify the ship or else it's just a normal ramp return (kind of like Williams Indiana Jones and the Path of Adventure).

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'd get an IMDN Pro and look for a HUO TWD pro. Should be able to get both for about the same price as a JJPOTC shipped.

Sound advice right there. Stern's 2 best pins by 2 of the best players in the game; sheats + elwin = can't go wrong. And if the TWD theme isnt family friendly, try GOT PRO used in the same ballpark - while not lyman, Dwight's ruleset is extraordinary.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

...Ultimately you want to shoot the ball through the left flap exit to the cannon. This is hard (on some machines virtually impossible) to do.

Ahhhh...thank you.

Quoted from Cheeks:

This would have benefited greatly from a diverter where you needed to qualify the ship or else it's just a normal ramp return (kind of like Williams Indiana Jones and the Path of Adventure).

Agreed.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Quoted from Cheeks:

The ship has two issues: how long you're up there and how often you're up there. Ultimately you want to shoot the ball through the left flap exit to the cannon. This is hard (on some machines virtually impossible) to do. This tended to keep people up in the ship for a prolonged period of time. Beyond that, every shot up that ramp goes to the ship. This would have benefited greatly from a diverter where you needed to qualify the ship or else it's just a normal ramp return (kind of like Williams Indiana Jones and the Path of Adventure).

If you guys havent seen the latest streams of the new production run JJPOTC, have a look. The ship is slightly re-designed and appears to be WAY easier to load the cannon. That was an issue for me on the prototype machine i played, so hard to load the cannon - but the new streams look very promising and the ship looks harder to keep ball up there but easier to load cannon which are 2 good things.

#25 5 years ago

Both choices are winners, but since Maiden grabs your daughter's attention, it is usually for a reason and is therefore a good idea to listen (as long as she doesn't think RCT is cute). Maiden is easier to understand and much easier to explain than JJP POTC. For first time buyers or novices, Maiden is a solid choice. Since you already own a JJP, I suggest giving Stern a chance Up the Irons.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If you guys havent seen the latest streams of the new production run JJPOTC, have a look.

Yeah I've only played the fabled 3 ring unicorn so I'm not making any real judgements yet, just reporting.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Maiden is easier to understand and much easier to explain than JJP POTC.

It has the collection element like MET for sure, so it's easy for tasks to be taught when they are listed right on the side of the LCD

#27 5 years ago

Pirates seems pretty easy to explain and understand rule wise, probably easier to explain then Iron Maiden yet far deeper.

1. There's 5 chapter shots on the playfield representing rhe 5 movies
2. Hit the chapter shots to qualify a mode for that chapter
3. Hit chapter start area to start a chapter mode
4. Complete a movies 5 chapters to unlock it's wizard mode.
5. Each of the 5 movies has its own multiball
6. Beat and / or start everything and unlock Break the Curse super wizard mode

There's a lot more rules wise to POTC but from a basic rules standpoint that's it.

#28 5 years ago

I played both IMDN Pro and the POTC Prototype at Golden State. POTC is the one I was willing to stand in line to play a few times. Awesome game! I wasn't interested in playing IMDN Pro again after the first time. Not my cup of tea.
You asked about a Premium though. I say find one and play it to see if it's worth the extra $ over a pro. You could always buy a Premium and sell it a year from now to help fund a Pirates (when they're finally available)

#29 5 years ago

I vote iron maiden premium.

#30 5 years ago

Anybody saying Pirates at this point is out of their mind. Have we even seen a production game yet?! Are you sure?!! Anybody know what the final code will be?! Are you sure?!

I know it will be D E E P, cause it’s KJ. I know it’ll be good looking cause it’s JJP.

Pirates MIGHT end up being great.

Right now, you’re asking for advice choosing between a KILLER pinball machine, and a hypothetical pinball machine.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Anybody saying Pirates at this point is out of their mind. Have we even seen a production game yet?! Are you sure?!! Anybody know what the final code will be?! Are you sure?!
I know it will be D E E P, cause it’s KJ. I know it’ll be good looking cause it’s JJP.
Pirates MIGHT end up being great.
Right now, you’re asking for advice choosing between a KILLER pinball machine, and a hypothetical pinball machine.

He’s right...but Maiden today, play. In 6 months sell and buy POTC.

#32 5 years ago

Iron Maiden for sure...it's available now. I've played the pro and I own an LE and both games are incredible.

Actually, the question should be Deadpool or Pirates, because the realistic time factor on POTC will be when Stern's next title comes out. Pirates seems like it might not be available for a while.

#33 5 years ago

I have played both jj potc is a better theme and better quality and more family friendly than iron maiden. jj is the new Williams/bally's of today. Dialed in should tell you how jj isn't going to shove cheap crap out. Thow out the rule sets when it comes to kids playing.

#34 5 years ago

I haven't played IMDN yet (going to Austin next week and I'm excited to play it).

I can say that JJPOTC is a very fun pin to play whether you are a skilled player or beginner. A deep ruleset does not necessarily make a game complicated. Watch the SDTM video with Eric explaining how to play and it's easy.

I like the variety of satisfying shots, and strategy you can have for the game. You can walk up to pirates with a different goal every time (based on character selection) and there is no clear cut best "house" or mode to go for the most pts. For this reason, it makes the game appealing for home use.

I'll also say that JJP games are very high quality. The animations, sound, and physical components all have a premium look and feel. I like the NIB stern machines that i have purchased, and maiden looks like a winner. No bad choice here. IMO JJP will offer more, even with the price difference.

#35 5 years ago

Thanks for all the input guys.

Price aside, just trying to get the game we will like the most.

I agree that my daughters opinion on IMDN is the main thing that brought me to this crossroad, as I had a deposit in on JJPOTC. So I’m weighing it heavily.

But despite not being a IMDN fan, I do like it as a “monster” pin theme, with high energy music. Looking at it this way helps me deal with a theme I’m not all in with.

I do agree that having a DILE, TNA, IMDN collection brings a really diverse good shooting group. All made with extra passion and time from the designers.

I also agree with the idea that I could sell one in the future. Since it’s a highly desirable pin it shouldn’t end up as something I couldn’t move down the line.

Thanks for all the input. It really helped!

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Guys,
Help!

Definitely listen to your 9 year old.

But if you all truly play pinball as a family together, and she’s a big part of that experience, I guess it makes sense. My kids always weighed in heavily on what games to buy/sell etc., but at the end of the day they really didn’t play that much. So their opinion really wasn’t all that valid.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Jaytech10:

I have played both jj potc is a better theme and better quality and more family friendly than iron maiden. jj is the new Williams/bally's of today. Dialed in should tell you how jj isn't going to shove cheap crap out. Thow out the rule sets when it comes to kids playing.

I agree. If you can get both, do it. They are both fun games. But is price is a issue, POTC is a no brainer. Just a over all better game for the $$$

#38 5 years ago

POTC may be the best game yet by JJP, but I still go with IMDN Premium all the way.

#39 5 years ago

Maiden, by a landslide.

#40 5 years ago

keep the money and wait for wonka end of the year

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from singapore_pin:

keep the money and wait for wonka end of the year

Gonna b much longer than that.... jjp will not reveal untill the final version or they are close to shipping bc of the potc debacle.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Well IM doesnt seem to fit 9 yr old girl very well.
Also if we are playing a straight up this or THAT type of question. No buying one then selling it and buying pirates later type of thing. Because thats what i would do if i cared about owning a IM.
to answer the question of just THIS OR THAT no other variables. Its a no question no debate jjp POTC.

Nobody asked about Iron Man...but your right...most 9 year old girls aren't huge on Marvel.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

POTC may be the best game yet by JJP, but I still go with IMDN Premium all the way.

It all depends on your opinion but Woz is clearly the best JJP yet.

#44 5 years ago

IMDN is more fun. I was gonna buy POTC after TPF but with the triple disc fail decided to lateral over. No regrets, it’s incredible. But if I still had young kids, I’d strongly consider POTC for their friends and parents. Your daughter is very unusual. She’s right, but IMDN isn’t for everyone.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Thanks for all the input guys.
Price aside, just trying to get the game we will like the most.
I agree that my daughters opinion on IMDN is the main thing that brought me to this crossroad, as I had a deposit in on JJPOTC. So I’m weighing it heavily.
But despite not being a IMDN fan, I do like it as a “monster” pin theme, with high energy music. Looking at it this way helps me deal with a theme I’m not all in with.
I do agree that having a DILE, TNA, IMDN collection brings a really diverse good shooting group. All made with extra passion and time from the designers.
I also agree with the idea that I could sell one in the future. Since it’s a highly desirable pin it shouldn’t end up as something I couldn’t move down the line.
Thanks for all the input. It really helped!

So did ya decide something? Are you thinking about getting one or are you ready to act this Summer?

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

So did ya decide something? Are you thinking about getting one or are you ready to act this Summer?

I'm going to take the plunge on an Iron maiden premium. Just getting in some quotes to decide where to buy from.

I really appreciate all the diverse opinions. I'm really struggling with this.

But I look at it this way - I have a DILE (super fun, simple rule set, amazing shooter), TNA (amazingly fast, has become our main family game with CO-OP. My kids LOVE LOVE) it). IMDN is a special playing game to me, has a totally different style of rule set, and is a really neat monster themed pin. 3 games with totally different styles. IMDN looks fun from a kids eyes. You have really clear targets. Lots of shots are pretty easy, and the ball stays in play a while. My 9 year old daughter scored well for her on the first try and had a lot of fun trying to hit the center target and ramps. Yah she won't get the rules for a while. But the way it's styled I can teach her just modes, 1 multiball, and she will focus on that for a long time. So it can be simple since it's balanced and has a lot of ways to play the game. It's only when you layer it all together that it's complicated.

All three of these machines were born as really special pinball projects. Made from passion. I like that my collection has stuff with an interesting story behind why they were built. They all have this in common. All are exceptional for different reasons.

I have to say, JJPOTC fits the same bill. That machine is amazing. Beautiful. Super neat shots. But the game didn't make me laugh (except the occasional arrgh mode which is the best moment). fine. But it feels very serious. And trhough the 5-6 games we played we didn't have fun. I want to get POTC. Maybe future code changes will make it fun like DILE?

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I'm going to take the plunge on an Iron maiden premium. Just getting in some quotes to decide where to buy from.
But I look at it this way - I have a DILE (super fun, simple rule set, amazing shooter), TNA (amazingly fast, has become our main family game with CO-OP. My kids LOVE LOVE) it). IMDN is a special playing game to me, has a totally different style of rule set, and is a really neat monster themed pin. 3 games with totally different styles. IMDN looks fun from a kids eyes. You have really clear targets. Lots of shots are pretty easy, and the ball stays in play a while. My 9 year old daughter scored well for her on the first try and had a lot of fun trying to hit the center target and ramps. Yah she won't get the rules for a while. But the way it's styled I can teach her just modes, 1 multiball, and she will focus on that for a long time. So it can be simple since it's balanced and has a lot of ways to play the game. It's only when you layer it all together that it's complicated.
All three of these machines were born as really special pinball projects. Made from passion. I like that my collection has stuff with an interesting story behind why they were built. They all have this in common. All are exceptional for different reasons.
I have to say, JJPOTC fits the same bill. That machine is amazing. Beautiful. Super neat shots. But the game didn't make me laugh (except the occasional arrgh mode which is the best moment). fine. But it feels very serious. And trhough the 5-6 games we played we didn't have fun. I want to get POTC. Maybe future code changes will make it fun like DILE?

She'll catch on pretty quick. Maiden has been one of the easier pins to explain to my kids and there are so many different multi-ball opportunities that it keeps the action going for them.

I know some people on this thread don't feel it's necessary to listen to a child's opinion. But at the end of the day, this is a giant toy that you're passionate about and your daughter is passionate about, so it's great to see that you as a parent are including your child and valuing their opinion in that passion.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Good for u. It's a good call. Get the premium now and enjoy. After several months or so u change your mind, sell and get pirates. I too had a deposit down on pirates but with delay and changes, I cancelled. I may go back at sometime and pic it up before Christmas.

#49 5 years ago

Interesting to see how this question would be answered one year from now when both games have been out for a while and all code is final. Will Iron Maiden be just another Stern in a year? Will Pirates have the slow burn to awesomeness that Dialed In had? Will they both be well loved or just meh in a year?

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Interesting to see how this question would be answered one year from now when both games have been out for a while and all code is final. Will Iron Maiden be just another Stern in a year? Will Pirates have the slow burn to awesomeness that Dialed In had? Will they both be well loved or just meh in a year?

Yah definitely. It's really cool that machines and opinions evolve quite a bit in a year.

I know TNA to some is chopping wood. For my family it's super fun, teaching us how to control the ball. And builds crazy excitement while we work together. It's funny how a BRUTAL game is our favorite and gets the most plays. We have over 1000 plays on it already. And it doesn't get old.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-premium-or-jj-potc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.