• Latest reply 76 days ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240128_180137 (resized).jpg
20240128_180121 (resized).jpg
#1 89 days ago

The center ramp on my iron maiden traps the ball many times. Like say you start ancient mariner. The ramp is up. You shoot the ball in it. For some reason the software feels the need to drop the ramp while the ball is in there. And when it tries to open it to launch the ball back out. It doesn't seem to lock open . So the ball is stuck under the ramp flap and you have to wait for it to ball search. Happens during other modes too. Like can I play with madness. I don't know why it drops the ramp after you hit the shot. The software should just keep it open till the ball is ejected back out.

1 week later
#2 82 days ago

nobody has had this happen on a IM premium or LE?

#3 82 days ago

No I haven’t ever had that issue.

#4 82 days ago

the ramp works fine. Seems the software doesn't raise the ramp soon enough. During Rime of the ancient mariner, take the ball. Drop the ramp, lift it back up, eject the ball, and drop the ramp back down?

#5 78 days ago

Did some more troubleshooting. Looks like the ramp is NOT raising up fast enough or at all. But only during certain modes. For every mode, you shoot the ball under the ramp. ramp drops, pops back up, and the ball shoots out in play. But in Rime of the ancient mariner. The ramp doesn't pop up. ball just shoots out and gets stuck under the ramp. Sits there until ball search. Then raises up, which usually your jackpot points is minimal. It does the same thing sometimes with other things that involve the under ramp scoop as well, but it's random.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 78 days ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Did some more troubleshooting. Looks like the ramp is NOT raising up fast enough or at all. But only during certain modes. For every mode, you shoot the ball under the ramp. ramp drops, pops back up, and the ball shoots out in play. But in Rime of the ancient mariner. The ramp doesn't pop up. ball just shoots out and gets stuck under the ramp. Sits there until ball search. Then raises up, which usually your jackpot points is minimal. It does the same thing sometimes with other things that involve the under ramp scoop as well, but it's random.

Sounds like you have a switch issue or the coil is binding. Maybe the stop molded into the bracket is broken or the bend in the bracket is cracked (which would account for intermittent operation, too)?

#7 77 days ago

does yours drop during every mode only to open back up before launching the ball?

#8 77 days ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

does yours drop during every mode only to open back up before launching the ball?

I don't think so, but I don't have a Maiden currently to double check. Use Karl's Premium stream for a function reference:

#9 77 days ago

looks like it does drop the ramp on every mode start and then open again to launch the ball out. Which seems stupid as a software program goes. Why the hell drop the ramp when you just have to lift it to eject the ball anyway? Just wearing out stuff faster or give the chance to have glitches like im having.

#10 77 days ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looks like it does drop the ramp on every mode start and then open again to launch the ball out. Which seems stupid as a software program goes. Why the hell drop the ramp when you just have to lift it to eject the ball anyway? Just wearing out stuff faster or give the chance to have glitches like im having.

Ok, I'm guessing that you have an issue with the little coil that locks the ramp, then. If you go into test mode (and pull the white pin on the inside of the coin door frame so the coils have power), try the ramp test to see if up (with lock) and down (release lock) work reliably. If not, I would focus on the tiny lock coil that keeps the ramp up. Either it has a loose/intermittent connection (check the lugs) or the metal it pulls has bent a little and is too far away from the coil post for it to pull it reliably when energized.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#11 77 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ok, I'm guessing that you have an issue with the little coil that locks the ramp, then. If you go into test mode (and pull the white pin on the inside of the coin door frame so the coils have power), try the ramp test to see if up (with lock) and down (release lock) work reliably. If not, I would focus on the tiny lock coil that keeps the ramp up. Either it has a loose/intermittent connection (check the lugs) or the metal it pulls has bent a little and is too far away from the coil post for it to pull it reliably when energized.

Agree!! ^^ This is the fix!!

#12 77 days ago

Solved: turns out. The washers stern used on the bottom of the plunger were just barely grabbing the hold coil tab. It was half on and half off the edge of the hold tab. Washers they used were too small. Looked in my stash of washers and found a washer that is 2mm larger than what they used. Now it works perfect.

There isn't a switch to let the game know if the ramp is up or down. So if it drops. There is nothing to tell the game if it's in it's proper position.

20240128_180121 (resized).jpg20240128_180121 (resized).jpg20240128_180137 (resized).jpg20240128_180137 (resized).jpg
#13 77 days ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

There isn't a switch to let the game know if the ramp is up or down.

Stern cost reduction FTW.

#14 76 days ago

I cant see a 2mm washer costing more. At true value. The cost is the same . :/. I think they just fawked up when designing it.

#15 76 days ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I cant see a 2mm washer costing more. At true value. The cost is the same . :/. I think they just fawked up when designing it.

More metal is more money. Even if it's .00001 cent more. Stern cost reduces at fractional resolution.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Williamsburg, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-premium-center-ramp-drops-too-fast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.