4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #96 sarcophagus switch fix. Posted by DG_Amuse (5 years ago)

Post #434 Black t-moulding pictured to replace stock banana yellow. Posted by Strummy (5 years ago)

Post #597 Stern fix for Newton Ball issues on LE Posted by Fytr (5 years ago)

Post #887 Fix for fast balls not registering on upper loop Posted by PinNin (5 years ago)

Post #1039 Picture of factory fix for bad mummy newton ball on Prem/LE Posted by RA77 (5 years ago)

Post #1343 Fix for fast balls leaving wireforms Posted by Kevlar (5 years ago)

Post #1452 Shim method to get auto launch to work nearly 100% Posted by hank35 (5 years ago)

Post #1713 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Fix auto launch consistency with stronger coil Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider x-rug-x.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1197 5 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

Has anyone had issues with airballs on the ramp getting stuck here? It's happened a few times to me recently, and I need to take the glass off to get it unstuck. Maybe a spike?
[quoted image]

I have a Pro and had the exact same problem with airballs. On the Pro, it required me to remove the ramp with the 3 screws and then I was able to tweak the piece of metal that holds the ramp so that the ramp was centered. Not sure what it would take on the Premium/LE models.

Maiden Ramp Before (resized).jpgMaiden Ramp Before (resized).jpgMaiden Ramp After (resized).jpgMaiden Ramp After (resized).jpg

#1198 5 years ago

My game is the Pro version, master sound is at 7 (and was never above factory default). I have to turn it down otherwise the distortion is too annoying (I mention so I don't get heckled for not upping the irons!). The sound out of the cabinet speaker is awful, I noticed it when leveling the feet. The other thing I've noticed is that sometimes during more extreme action the audio coming out of the main speakers is super distorted, sometimes just beeps and other random noises. Even at its best, the audio is never 100% clear, there's always distortion or clipping or something. The best way to describe it is awful. Thinking back to it, I noticed the same thing on a demo unit at a dealer in my area, so this something that's happening to other ones. The only adjustments I have made to the game has been to turn the volume down and set to free play.

#1203 5 years ago
Quoted from gearhead:

Have you updated the code? If not do so, they made a change to the audio I think around 1.03 that really made a difference. Worth a shot.

No, but I'm 1.02, so I'll try the update tonight. Thanks!

#1205 5 years ago
Quoted from x-rug-x:

No, but I'm 1.02, so I'll try the update tonight. Thanks!

Updated to 1.05, much, much better. Maybe not perfect, but sooo much better! Even beat my previous score in the second game, so I like it even more.

Thanks all!

1 week later
#1216 5 years ago

Hey, guess what mine started doing?

That's right. Launched balls started hitting the little flipper and sometimes on the left side of it. 95% of them still take the proper route, but up until 2 days ago 100% of the launched balls were taking the proper path. This can happen with both the auto-launched and manually launched balls.

I noticed a pretty significant hit on the end of the guide on the right side (launch path). I'm guessing that hit moved the guide enough where now the balls sometime take the non-preferred path. It's also possible that since the guide isn't perfectly smooth now, it's taking a slightly different path.

The other thing I noticed while working on this, is that the balls are pretty heavily marked up. Nothing deep, they just don't look new any longer, but if I compare them to my Deadpool, they look considerably more 'used' considering the games have had similar amount of play.

#1219 5 years ago

Thanks Fytr and @maide. I think I probably have a combination of both.

I need to learn how to take better pictures of the balls, this picture doesn't capture the difference. The ball on the left is from Dead Pool, a game with more plays. It looks more or less as it did when it went in. The ball on the right is from Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Pro). I high-lighted the marking that go around the whole ball. There's a ton more marks and dings, but I was trying to capture the bigger scratch. I think this is probably coming from the auto-launch as there's very few things that would go around the whole ball like that. The dings are probably coming from where Fytr mentioned.

20181017_000049071_iOS (resized).jpg20181017_000049071_iOS (resized).jpg

Once again, these pictures don't really capture the problem, but I have a lot of scratches already like the one here. The picture doesn't capture the full length of the scratch.

20181017_000358227_iOS (resized).jpg20181017_000358227_iOS (resized).jpg

And once again, difficult to capture with the camera, but you can see the path the ball takes up the shooter lane, and it goes out past the shooter lane, but it was impossible to capture with the camera.

20181017_000604973_iOS (resized).jpg20181017_000604973_iOS (resized).jpg

As I mentioned, the game started not launching the ball 100% (either manual or auto), my theory is that the guide is slowly being moved.

20181016_235332884_iOS (resized).jpg20181016_235332884_iOS (resized).jpg

Lastly, you can really see the ramp taking a pounding, but that one is probably more expected, but you can totally see the line where the ball meets the ramp.

20181016_235345124_iOS (resized).jpg20181016_235345124_iOS (resized).jpg

I don't understand why there's so much exposed metal edges on this game. It'll be fine one every place has been hit and it's pounded smooth, but I'll have to replace the balls once a month at this rate. Kinda sad for a game that's less than a month old to take this sort of pounding. My Deadpool (Pro) looks brand new still and has way more plays.

#1223 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You worry way too much. Just play pinball and have fun and enjoy your games.

My game stopped playing consistently, when I started inspecting I found that the guide was hit. I figure the ball hit is what moved it, but then it made me wonder how the balls look. I then noticed the balls were pretty beat up and I have scratches all over the playfield after less than 3 weeks of ownership. I then wondered how my other game was, it is fine (with more plays none the less).

So, worried? No. Making sure there's not something causing excessive wear that I can prevent? Yup.

#1224 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

As stated above, you're worrying too much. Restore a few older machines so that you can see games that had the same balls in them for 20 years and show wear that isn't bad at all. Many of these games are full of sharp metal too. Yes, you should change balls here and there and keep your games generally clean, but it's going to take 10+ years of horrid neglect before you see any sort of serious PF wear.

I had a Theatre of Magic, Earthshaker and Jokerz!. I did complete playfield replacement on Earthshaker because it was worn to the bare wood, so I know how bad it can be. I had the same balls in ToM that I put in shortly after I got it, and they looked nothing like these after 10+ years of use. I think I get it.

Admittedly, what I don't get is having a new game. Dimpling is a good example. My prior games were all pre-dimpled. This might be similar experience. Maybe this ball wear is similar to dimpling in the way that I just need more of it. All I know is this is the first set of balls that made me say "Holy crap." and made me take a closer look.

#1241 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

I am so glad that my auto plunger was much easier to adjust than the various steps laid out here. I "just" adjusted the guide wall and was done. Apparently, everything else was okay. I wonder, though, is there anyone who has purchased an IMDN who has NEVER had to do any type of adjustment to the manual or auto plunger? I think this is a common maintenance item, though one I am glad to do as I love the game.

Mine was perfect for about the first two weeks, then it started acting up (this is when I noticed the balls taking on more than average damage), but then as Who-Dey suggested, I just enjoyed my game, right up until the auto-plunge starting hitting low about 90% of the time this weekend (manual was still 100%).

My theory was that nothing else really must have changed as the manual is hitting 100%, the problem has to be in the auto-plunge mech.

Taking a slo-mo video of my auto-plunger captured what I think the root cause is. The auto-plunger actually bends back and to the left as it hits the ball. My thinking is this is because it's made out of somewhat flimsy metal to begin with, but then made worse because it only has the one arm on the right side where all the torque gets applied (and slowly bent back and to the left by the weight of the ball over time). This leads to the large plastic bushing getting enlarged over time, and then this causes even more play in the assembly (this may ultimately be causing the demise, it could explain the similar timing in everyone's experiences). This causes my ball to go left, bounce off the left side, hit someplace in the middle of the right side and then hit on the low side of the loop. This could also explain why most people have to close the left prong, or open the right (the launcher is now torqued counter-clockwise).

This plunger design is not a problem in Deadpool or Guardians etc, in fact it probably adds to the randomness of where the ball eventually comes down. It is however a huge issue with this game since the ball needs to accurately go the same way every time.

Yes, I know I could adjust the right side ball rail, but for now I'm going to remain stubborn and see if I can't resolve this with the auto-plunger assembly alone. Maybe someone could confirm my findings and we could design (or even better, inspire Stern to design) a launcher that has two arms, or something as to have less slop over time. Adjustments to the launcher would be awesome.

#1275 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

After maybe 150 games, the auto launch on my Premium began missing %100 of the shots, always hitting the post below the upper left flipper. I decided to not touch the launch mechanism because it seemed to have decent alignment. The manual plunger alignment needed adjusting though, about 1/16 inch left. I also slightly tweaked the launch guide. So far so good, but there doesn't seem to be much room for error in the adjustments. At least it's making the loop from manual and auto plunges.
On a side note, please don't lube the netwon ball assemblies because it's not necessary. If the newtwon ball is sticking, the spring retainer needs to probably be unscrewed a little. Mine are working perfect after adjustment, no sticking and no lubrication needed.
Rob

Had the exact same problem, but on my Pro, I have a post above about it, but until this weekend I never solved the problem. My theory was that it had to be in the auto-plunge mech since my manual plunger was working. After several hours of messing with the auto-plunge mech all I did was make it so neither worked.

On mine the problem was the screw at the end of the guide (by the upper-right flipper, under the plastics). The screw was pulling the end of the ball guide down from where the guide naturally wanted to be, so the guide was being torqued in a way that caused the ball to go more left. I noticed this when I was removing the screw to try to adjust the guide (there's a slot for adjustment, but mine was as far right as it go already and still hitting the post). As I removed the screw I could see the guide come up and straighten out. I wound up putting a washer in between the playfield and adjustment tab on the ball guide. This kept the ball guide from being torqued while being tightened down. Back to 100%, no bending, no nothing. Launched balls working like a champ again (both kinds). My theory is that over time, the guide settled into the wood an slowly became torqued. Not sure, time will tell.

I've seen lots of theories and solutions for this problem, I actually feel like my solution might be the one as it makes a lot of sense and it doesn't require fine adjustments or bending that some of the other solutions seem to require. It doesn't require a ton of precision from either the auto or manual launchers, which makes me feel better as well.

#1280 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

It wrecks the trooper multiball start and that's not OCD, the game is not working as designed. And the unfortunate problem is that it doesn't take much of a mechanical divergence for ball launches to start missing. Ball launches on some games is just tricky business it seems. The auto launcher on TZ is another one that can be finicky.
I will maybe look at shimming the launcher to remove play. For now it seems to be working again.
Rob

I'll try to make a guide for this as it's a quick easy fix. My fix has resulted in it working 100% with the slop in the auto mech that's naturally there.

The reason that the slightest mechanical divergence causes a problem is that ball guide is no longer perpendicular to the playfield. By putting a washer under the adjustment part of the rail keeps the rail perpendicular with the playfield. The goal is to keep the rail perpendicular with the playfield, in my case it required a washer at the end.

#1284 5 years ago

My fix to making the loop consistently

Like many, perhaps all users, my pin was able to make the loop 100% out of the box with both the auto-launch and the manual. Then mysteriously over time (about 4 weeks) the auto-launch would miss 1/20,1/10 and eventually 19/20, but for whatever reason manual would still work. It was consistently hitting the post right below the loop (low). I was sure the auto-launch mech was to blame and I focused on that. I eventually made it so both the auto-launch and the manual would hit low (but I never touched the manual launch). but as it turns out the auto-launch wasn't the problem.

I saw other guides that mentioned bending the right-side guide rail to solve this problem, but I really didn't want to do that (I didn't like the idea of bending something that didn't seem like it needed bending). Plus, it seemed like this solution was susceptible to wax, cleanings, or even strange looks. Regardless, after exhausting all possible adjustments to the manual/auto-launch mech, I started down the bending the guide path. What I noticed was that as I removed the end screw the guide, the end lifted up and became more vertical (closer to perpendicular to the playfield). I tried a shot with the rail in this position, made the loop instantly. Tried a few more. Perfect, just like day 1. I found a washer that was the size of the gap and tightened it down. It hasn't missed a shot yet. The guide is not 100% perpendicular, but it is the natural position the rail wants to be in as opposed to being torqued down.

Simulated view looking at the far end of the right-side rail.
20181030_013156880_iOS (resized).jpg20181030_013156880_iOS (resized).jpg

20181030_011751061_iOS (resized).jpg20181030_011751061_iOS (resized).jpg

This might require re-adjustment too over time, it's too early to tell. Good luck, and let me know if this works for anyone else!

#1288 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I think this is BS. A NIB game like this should not need these kinds of adjustements. Fix the fuckin problem Stern! I wanted to buy this game and was going to sell one of mine to get it. Thinking about it now, I’m out. I’d have to sell a perfectly good working game, add more cash to the deal, and once I finally get it, I have to constantly fix or mess with the manual/auto plungers to play the game correctly. For $5600 you can kiss my ass Stern! I’d rather keep what I have.

I sunk 5+ hours into figuring out this problem and it's way too early to determine if it's permanent. That said, if this is the only problem I have and it stays this way, I'll chalk it up to needing to 'settle in' and I'll be happy. This game is one of the more enjoyable games I've played or owned, so I'm not giving up on it yet.

6 months later
#1946 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yep it happens to my game and others that i know as well. It will probably return to normal soon. Either that or maybe i just get used to the change, not sure?

Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I don't notice the change in sound clarity until it suddenly improves. I'm sure there are times I'm playing and the sound is subpar and not noticeable until it spontaneously improves on its own.

Just to go on record with this. I noticed the same thing, I'm glad I'm not alone. It seems to depend on the mood of the game when you turn it on. Once crappy, seemingly always crappy with periodic moments of clarity. Other times, perfect, or close to it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.50
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider x-rug-x.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues?tu=x-rug-x and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.