4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #96 sarcophagus switch fix. Posted by DG_Amuse (5 years ago)

Post #434 Black t-moulding pictured to replace stock banana yellow. Posted by Strummy (5 years ago)

Post #597 Stern fix for Newton Ball issues on LE Posted by Fytr (5 years ago)

Post #887 Fix for fast balls not registering on upper loop Posted by PinNin (5 years ago)

Post #1039 Picture of factory fix for bad mummy newton ball on Prem/LE Posted by RA77 (5 years ago)

Post #1343 Fix for fast balls leaving wireforms Posted by Kevlar (5 years ago)

Post #1452 Shim method to get auto launch to work nearly 100% Posted by hank35 (5 years ago)

Post #1713 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Fix auto launch consistency with stronger coil Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

Your #2 issue is happening to me. This unusual switch mechanism is just poorly designed. It has to be very tightly gapped to work, if it is slightly too loose or slightly too tight, it doesn’t register. I have had to adjust mine several times. Even if you have it correctly gapped, with a second ball present, sometimes direct hits don’t register. You need to hit it with a glancing blow to consistently register hits. I suspect Stern will need to come up with a fix for this. Or perhaps someone in the community will come up with something.

#10 5 years ago

In the first picture, it looks like you have a ball stuck on the plastic to the right of the center ramp. I’ve had balls stick there also.

#44 5 years ago

Wasn’t visible there in the initial pics...? Glad you tracked it down.

#47 5 years ago

Sometimes my game seems to lose count of the number of balls. Typically, it will be in Mummy MB, when the second-to-last ball drains, it kills the flipper and counts bonus. I need to pay closer attention to the precise scenario when this happens, but has anyone else experienced this?

#81 5 years ago

I don’t fully understand the rules of Mummy MB and sarcophagus locks. However, it seems to be very difficult to trigger a switch connected to the captive ball when a second ball is in the lock position behind it. It is basic conservation of momentum. The first ball doesn’t move. Perhaps not even enough to trigger a very sensitive switch. Just watch a Newton’s Cradle.

DD35C29A-DA65-4F98-AA50-8B5EBF7AD5E8 (resized).jpegDD35C29A-DA65-4F98-AA50-8B5EBF7AD5E8 (resized).jpeg

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from Zukram:

Had my best game ever after updating to this version, but also hit a bug I think. Had several of the MB's running (Trooper, ACES High, Mummy) got the add a ball somewhere in all of that, probably a couple stacked the same time.. Seemed like it lasted for 5-10 minutes, during all the frenzy, there were balls draining, reviving like mad.. Then the flippers died, and it totaled my bonus, with 3 balls still in play.. In any case, I doubt I'll recreate that again any time soon, but wondering if anyone had that happen with this or previous version.. Otherwise I like the few new things I noticed in this version, some font changes for high scores, new animations, call outs in attract mode..

Yes, this happened to me multiple times.

#103 5 years ago

Sometimes, my game seems to not realize when I’ve knocked a ball out of the sarcophagus lock into play. Then, when the first of the 2 balls drains, the game counts bonus and drains the remaining ball. Anyone else seen this? Fixes?

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Mine did do that but I adjusted the upmost switch. Captive hit switch and it hasn’t happened since.

Hmm, that switch tests OK, but I wonder if it should be more sensitive.

#108 5 years ago

What is supposed to happen when you knock the second ball into play? Is it supposed to start Mummy MB? Or something else?

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I took the top switch and flipped it around. Now it works every time.

Was it doing what I described before the switch? If so, I may try this.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I turned the switch around. I tried adjusting many times. After turning the top switch backwards it has worked every time. I hope that fixes it. I do get Radom 2 balls in shooter lane. I think the shooter lane switch needs adjustment. It took about 15 mins to mount top switch backwards.

15 minutes? You must be very technically adept. I've been working on this for the last hour and a half. You have to remove a lot of stuff to get to that switch. Once I got in there, I realize that my switch feels very stiff. It is very hard to depress. I reversed it, reinstalled everything, and a ball can't even get past it. I've adjusted it so much the little metal part of the switch looks beat up. The lower switch feels fine. I guess I'll be calling Stern tomorrow, see if they can send me a new one.

So far, I've had to:
#1 adjust the leaf switch for the captive ball, it was initially not gapped at all, and was not registering
#2 adjust the orb switch, it was too sensitive and triggering intermittently
#3 remove the plastics and bend the metal piece from the launch lane to get the auto-launch to work properly
#4 now this, trying to troubleshoot the sarcophagus lock apparatus

This game has required far more work than any LE I've previously purchased.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I would replace them with rollover switches.
Some suggested it earlier and that sounds like a better switch

What sort of switch would you recommend? Source? Are these interchangeable with the originals? Any need to change wiring, etc? Are the screw sizes and locations universal?

#122 5 years ago

This one: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5119-02 , is among the parts for IMDN LE on Marco Specialties. Is it somehow better than the one you mentioned for this location? Worse?

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

In my experience worse. I’ve had this style go out of adjustment and the switch ball become stiff and not function reliably. I much prefer the Williams style I linked to above that uses a microswitch which is feather light to activate. They are interchangeable.

Ordered. Thanks.

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from wyopin:

Any ideas as to why the auto launch would activate at the start of a players’ turn if they were dragging their feet plunging?

This happened to me because the orb captive ball was too sensitive and having false switch hits.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Man these switches are a joke.
Now i can't figure out if mummy switch is messed up AND/OR the sarcophagus switch.
I've tweaked the Mummy and now Sarc just loads and then goes into ball search every time, drops it down, and spits it out. And then Mummy is no longer available.
Frustrating.

Yup, been there. Waiting for those Marco rollover switches.

#137 5 years ago

I’ve seen that exact thing happen, too. Not happening at the moment, but definitely an issue there somewhere.

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from Rhlufa:

Just got our premium IM today! Pretty kick ass. However playing over Two hours and staring a new game I can no longer select my song and it plays the first one that was listed. I've also noticed that spots me all the accomplishments I had from the prior game I.e. The ED...Y is already scored. We have also noticed that flipping the flipper bats prior to launching a ball is increasing the score.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Orb captive ball not gapped properly. Or sticking. Par for the course.

#171 5 years ago

At Lyons Classic Pinball, they did this to address the ball hops...

B18FD5F3-B2E9-41C1-A964-722A03527FC0 (resized).jpegB18FD5F3-B2E9-41C1-A964-722A03527FC0 (resized).jpeg
#172 5 years ago

I wasn’t planning on doing anything with diodes. I have no idea how. Is this necessary?

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

pretty poor something so basic needs an eyesore like that.

Actually, I didn’t even notice it until it was pointed out. Just very visible when zoomed in.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from AttilaK:

I ran into all the problems that is mentioned on this thread and was able to solve it. But now running into something that I have been trying to fix for the last 2 hours with no luck. It is a very strange problem and something that may have come out of alignment after putting a lot of games on this machine. I called stern and apparently the fix they recommended to me has fixed several machines now ... however, no luck. Maybe they are BS'ing me.
Anyway, the problem is with auto-launch or even shooting ball manually. It will never make it across playfield to say the super skill shot. It keeps hitting the top post (see pic)... it works 100% since I got game about 2 weeks ago but stopped worked a few days ago. It is very annoying when you get trooper multiball and all the balls don't make it up to the top where it is released at one. I am very disappointed that paying this much money for something and have continuous problems. I took the ball guide off and bent in many positions to see if I can get it to work, but no luck. Hope someone here was able to fix - as per stern it should be just a minor adjustment.
Thanks!

Same thing here, was hitting the same spot. Bent the metal guide down a little, and maxed the power, and it works every time now. Weird, it seems like it would need LESS bend, but mine worked better with a little more.

#188 5 years ago

Received and installed these tonight. Lots of unscrewing, a little soldering & shrink tubing, took me about 45 minutes. (Getting good at this!?!). Good news is, these switches seem to work much more consistently. However, the bad news is that the little roller ball will not always allow the captive ball to pass over it. You can’t knock the ball back very far, and when the ball save happens and the sarcophagus lock lowers, the ball hangs up on the switches. I’m hoping this is just a matter of getting back in there and adjusting the arm of the switches a bit lower. I currently have the rollers facing down the playfield. I wonder if perhaps the upper one should be reversed (similar to how the game shipped.) I will try again tomorrow, irritated how hard it is to get to these switches to adjust.

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You are almost there Russell. Just a little lowering of that arm and you've got it.

Did you put in the roller switches, or just finally get the regular ones adjusted to work?

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I tried another adjustment on mine last night. Afterwards, in the course of about 3 games, it went from working when hit, to firing when the closest pop bumper did, to firing continuously with flippers.
My captive ball mech sort of feels off when you push it off center, sometimes it will stick off centre. The one in front of the sarcophagus doesn't feel that way, it's smooth and always returns to center. Maybe the spring is messed up or install wrong. I'm going to remove it today and have a look.

Mine had this same sticking problem. I just lubricated the mech, and it stopped sticking.

#269 5 years ago

I think it’s finally working 100%!

I have tried every combination to get the sarcophagus lock working perfectly. Every time you tweak it, you have to fully remove and reinstall the whole mech. I ended up with a roller ball switch in the upper location facing upwards (roller ball toward the head), and a regular switch in the lower location facing down.

This combination seems to register all hits, including knocking the ball free. I just played a good game and had no missed switch hits on either captive ball, and no mis-counting issues.

I also got the launch working perfectly, both manually and upon auto-launch.

Let me know if I can be of assistance with any of these issues. I think I’ve done it, and I never called distributor or Stern. (yet)

297D6DBF-74DF-48AD-B3C5-842CF06E8D52 (resized).jpeg297D6DBF-74DF-48AD-B3C5-842CF06E8D52 (resized).jpeg34206AE1-BC0E-4E47-A5F1-D60CDD1383ED (resized).jpeg34206AE1-BC0E-4E47-A5F1-D60CDD1383ED (resized).jpeg60EB6A19-8CEC-4105-9BCC-77CFE10D5FCF (resized).jpeg60EB6A19-8CEC-4105-9BCC-77CFE10D5FCF (resized).jpeg8013F90D-C2C5-4347-B124-8DFF2B395BB1 (resized).jpeg8013F90D-C2C5-4347-B124-8DFF2B395BB1 (resized).jpeg
#279 5 years ago

I agree. This happens to me intermittently as well. I can't figure out why.

#284 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

The initial plunge slams into the far post instead of going around the orbit, but the auto plunge works perfectly. I have adjusted the plunger assembly which did not help. So, do I adjust the guide and risk screwing up the auto plunge? Thoughts?

Check to make sure the manual plunger is well aligned.

#287 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Makes perfect sense
Weird it takes a while but it has to be that top switch rollover
Got my new switches in so I’ll just replace those!

I think this is right, I think mine stopped having this lock out period once I put in the upper roller ball switch.

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Thanks, I went back and re-alingned it one last time and that did it. However, now I lost my great auto launch, it usually hits the post--bummer.

Take off the plastics on the right, there is a little adjustment tab. It’s hard to adjust but even a slight change makes a big difference.

#304 5 years ago

I bet it’s the orb.

#321 5 years ago

A (very) minor issue. The little black pad that is on the front of the head, presumably to protect the rails when the head is lowered. One of mine keeps falling off. I used a spray-on adhesive, but it didn’t stay. Need to find a better alternative.

#332 5 years ago

I was really hoping to see music volume setting reinstated.

1 week later
#473 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Anyone having an issue with a ball still on the table and the machine goes dead, then starts totaling up the score? This isn't being caused by an overload of switch hits, either. Maybe a trough issue--thinks it has 6 balls when it only has 5?

This is due to the rear switch in the sarcophagus mech. Replaced mine with a rollerball switch, fixed 100%.

#474 5 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

This has happened to me as well a few times now.

This is a relatively easy fix, check out the rollerball switch mentioned earlier in this thread. Kind of a pain to replace, but works perfectly.

#476 5 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Which switch# is this?

I think it's #41. I replaced mine with this:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5647-12693-06

882f9578dd0d4aa4c13ac6877f965a1a218e83d9.jpeg (resized).jpg882f9578dd0d4aa4c13ac6877f965a1a218e83d9.jpeg (resized).jpg
#478 5 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

I really dig this and want to do it, but am a little worried about warranty voiding. Maybe I will shoot Stern an email asking about this?

Go ahead. I’m very curious to hear what they say. They’ve always been good to me. I’d be shocked if they took a stand against members of the community trying to improve their game.

#494 5 years ago

That little grain that you can only see with just the right angle in just the right light doesn’t bother me.

#501 5 years ago

Uh oh. I think maybe I set up my plunge incorrectly. I was trying to figure out the super skill shot. According to the wiki:

Super Skill Shot

Hold the left flipper and plunge to the INNER orbit. The ball will roll back down to the upper flipper. Shoot the Super Jackpot shot to score a Super Skill Shot worth 5 million points, a lit Playfield Multiplier, and 10 seconds of ball saver time.

My plunge, both manual and auto, go around the outer loop on the left, not the inner loop. Is it supposed to go into the inner or outer loop?

#503 5 years ago

That’s weird. If it goes into the outer loop, with the right speed, it drops off the shelf, then comes back to the upper flipper. Now THAT’s a skill shot. That’s why I assumed this was the proper setup.

#506 5 years ago

Mine doesn’t seem to register a Super skill. Is this working on other machines?

#508 5 years ago

So, the Tilt Forums wiki is incorrect?

2 weeks later
#636 5 years ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

A couple of questions dealing with the Sarcophagus Lock:
1. when the ball is locked in the sarcophagus and you hit the newton ball, is the locked ball supposed to travel to the top of the chamber and stay there, or roll back to the bottom and rest against the newton ball? It seems my hits to spell mummy only register when the ball stays at the top.
2. is mummy multiball supposed to be a two-ball or three-ball multiball?
3. my sarcophagus switches haven’t seemed to work properly since I got the game, and now a second ball is locking in there, instead of rolling off the top, like it is supposed to. The game then has to do about 4 ball searches to empty the sarcophagus into the underworld and eject both balls. Any idea what is causing this?

Sounds like one or more of your sarcophagus switches are not working. It's a pain to adjust them, but most people can get them adjusted to work. I replaced the upper switch with a roller ball style switch, and have had no further problems.

1 week later
#738 5 years ago

I feel DML1001’s pain. I think I may have been the first to try the rollerball technique. I initially replaced both (and yes, it was a painful process). I got it all back together, and the ball caught on the switches as you described. Eventually, I figured out that the upper switch should be a rollerball, but the lower switch should stay the original (if your lower switch is bad, maybe move the upper one to the lower position?). And the new, upper rollerball switch will still require a little bending to get the level right. Once I got it, I’ve had no more issues, it works 100%. No need for a new mech, imho.

See my posts #188 and #269.

2 weeks later
#799 5 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

Every time I hit the flipper its registering 25000. Its making the sound effect that the slings make. I checked all those leaf switches and they seem to be fine. What am I missing? Thanks!

Are you sure it is the slings sound, and not the lower captive ball sound? That's what was happening to me, and it was due to the lower captive ball needing to be re-gapped.

#805 5 years ago

Also, the captive ball sometimes sticks. Just lubricate the edge of the saucer a little.

2 weeks later
#998 5 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Ok two simple playfield questions:
1.) mine has the woodgrain effect all over it, I know this is a historic problem with Stern. Is there a point where it’s worth asking for a replacement?
2.) Not sure if my pitch is off but I have very low plays and lots of dimpling already, is it just the pin in general or my setup?
Thanks!

Play on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues?tu=russell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.