4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #96 sarcophagus switch fix. Posted by DG_Amuse (5 years ago)

Post #434 Black t-moulding pictured to replace stock banana yellow. Posted by Strummy (5 years ago)

Post #597 Stern fix for Newton Ball issues on LE Posted by Fytr (5 years ago)

Post #887 Fix for fast balls not registering on upper loop Posted by PinNin (5 years ago)

Post #1039 Picture of factory fix for bad mummy newton ball on Prem/LE Posted by RA77 (5 years ago)

Post #1343 Fix for fast balls leaving wireforms Posted by Kevlar (5 years ago)

Post #1452 Shim method to get auto launch to work nearly 100% Posted by hank35 (5 years ago)

Post #1713 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Fix auto launch consistency with stronger coil Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Your #2 issue is happening to me. This unusual switch mechanism is just poorly designed. It has to be very tightly gapped to work, if it is slightly too loose or slightly too tight, it doesn’t register. I have had to adjust mine several times. Even if you have it correctly gapped, with a second ball present, sometimes direct hits don’t register. You need to hit it with a glancing blow to consistently register hits. I suspect Stern will need to come up with a fix for this. Or perhaps someone in the community will come up with something.

Horribly designed switch. I think I have mine finally tweaked just right for now but man that thing is flaky

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Hmm. Knowing what you LE owners know, what version would you recommend to those of us considering Pro or Premium?

Honestly, I think the rational answer is a pro.

I like the extra features but I could live without them.

#23 5 years ago

I’ve had a ball get trapped behind Sarc a few times if it travels at a certain speed I think

Goes into ball search. Have to poke it out of there.

Good news is you have time to replace the glass and lockdown bar before you lose it!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Lots of complaints about the switch used for the Mummy captive ball.
I brought the bad design up first and got ridiculed by Chambahz and Flynn because it's 'a design used for poppers for 60 years' or whatever
Great, maybe they should only use them on the poppers then because they don't work well on this game
To top it off, my motorized ramp flap took a shit again after rebuilding it.
Now Stern has to send me an entirely new ramp assembly... Awesome. Fun game but super unreliable thus far. Every game I play I wonder what will go out of adjustment or just stop working.

I assume the Mummy switch is similar to Orb switch?

Haven’t had an issue with that one yet

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Honestly, I think the rational answer is a pro.
I like the extra features but I could live without them.

Actually I’ll change my opinion

I would want all of the features of this pin it’s that good

It’s addictive like TWD. Maybe more so

Get the premium

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm not sure your first opinion isn't correct as the Premium doesn't pencil out $$ wise for the added features and it has the least appealing artwork, imo. That being said, if I liked the art I'd still buy a Premium because this game is so cool.

Premium or LE

Pencil out? Sure the pro pencils out but if you want it all and it’s worth it for the intangibles that don’t pencil then it’s premium or LE

1 week later
#134 5 years ago

Man these switches are a joke.

Now i can't figure out if mummy switch is messed up AND/OR the sarcophagus switch.

I've tweaked the Mummy and now Sarc just loads and then goes into ball search every time, drops it down, and spits it out. And then Mummy is no longer available.

Frustrating.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Yup, been there. Waiting for those Marco rollover switches.

Gonna have to do the same.

Left ramp isn't registering the lock even though it appears on the Lcd? Def not the Mummy ball.

I'm sending an email to Game room guys and calling Chas. Let's see what they come back with.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I’ve seen that exact thing happen, too. Not happening at the moment, but definitely an issue there somewhere.

I know right. Was working fine. Then boom, can't figure it. Loosened up Sarcophagus gate in the back, no difference.

Started on .97 and continued on .98 after update.

Might be a node board issue?

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I think the orb switch registering when the flippers fire is a chronic condition too. I’ve adjusted mine twice and tonight it’s doing it again. It’s either too sensitive or doesn’t register at all. Seems like the metal post in the center of the pop bumper spoon might be the issue? A pop bumper uses a lightweight slippery plastic post with a rounded tip in the spoon.
It doesn’t seem like the heavier metal post on the orb target returns to center every time.
I wish anyone trying to route a Prem or LE luck...

Can you imagine? What a disaster that will be on route.

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Switches in sarcophagus lock: I just had to do a bend adjustment to find the sweet spot for the front switch. I also depressed the switch forcefully many times to loosen it up. I’ve had to do this with replacement cherry switches on w/b machines in the past.

I’m hoping that’s my issue. Orb and Mummy ok for now.

There are 2 switches in sarcophagus lock?

#154 5 years ago

Ordered rollover switches recommended by Fytr.

Well at least BM66 had a nice code drop to keep me going until i can get those installed!

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Does the switch with roller need a diode ? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1N4004
Thanks and good luck !!

Thanks Rob, yeah i ruled out the switch behind the panel so now its the sarcophagus mech. Gonna pull that tonight and just wait to get parts and replace.

Hopefully that will work!

#169 5 years ago

It's one thing to have to adjust those captive ball switches. A pain in the ass but simple to get to and do.

Maybe the sarcophagas switches will be as well but i think Russell said it took him about an hour and a half?

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

After 30 mins of trying to tweak the orb shot captive ball switch with a excellent tech on facetime watching me he and I both gave up after many adjustments. In essence unlike the mummy switch was easy to adjust the white plastic "cup" part is really not actuating well off of hits from ball it moves but not nearly enough to engage switch deslite being gapped perfect and bending the crap out of the plast peice to try and get it to move better when hit. If the switch was oriented the opposite way and mounted on left it would probably work a hell of alot better but I am not drilling any playfield.
I am gaining skills but of all my previous games this one has the most issues of all of those combined. Guess I was very lucky previously.
I did fix my two balls ejecting issue so at least one thing is better today. Yes I am a bit salty about this purchase but bitching about it more or yelling about dssign flaws I see is not going to help so I will leave it as not fixed yet but I have hopes to one day play this game again.
It does seem fantastic when it works.

Here is what I'd try. So I pulled the Sarcophagus mech and adjusted the switches so we will see what happens when i fire it up again.

There was a screw that was missing from the mech and left the metal arm dangling too.

The captive ball can be adjusted a bit itself. Not just the switch. Back off the screw that taps the white cap to generate more contact.

If that doesn't work pull the entire captive ball and reseat it. Maybe the spring is F ed up itself and needs to be adjusted.

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

My advice:. The LE is still in high demand. I'd sell while you can get all your money back and get a Pro. I've had a Pro since launch and mine had close to 500 plays at MGC and a few hundred after that and I've never had to even lift the glass once to fix an issue. It just plays and is fun as hell! The Pro really has no problem areas or any wear concerns. It's just a solid game and is an incredible value. I've owned close to 50 games including Stern LE and Premium games and this is the best machine I've ever owned.

That makes too much common sense. Stop it Mike!

The gap between the Pro and LE/premium is really a joke. There is a piece of white plastic and rollover switch in the back that goes to the sarcophagus lock.

And the lock mech itself is nothing special. Ever seen the BM66 turn table?

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Thanks Ice will try all of that tonight if I have time but spring feel fine to the touch.
Mike stop with the easy way out. Was hoping to flip this sucker in 2028 when i cannot stand anymore and stick it to those millennials bigtime!

So i got mine working again! Adjusting the Sarco Mech switches worked after pulling it out altogether.

However, had to go back in and unscrew the post a bit that taps the white saucer to make better contact. Works like a charm!

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Received and installed these tonight. Lots of unscrewing, a little soldering & shrink tubing, took me about 45 minutes. (Getting good at this!?!). Good news is, these switches seem to work much more consistently. However, the bad news is that the little roller ball will not always allow the captive ball to pass over it. You can’t knock the ball back very far, and when the ball save happens and the sarcophagus lock lowers, the ball hangs up on the switches. I’m hoping this is just a matter of getting back in there and adjusting the arm of the switches a bit lower. I currently have the rollers facing down the playfield. I wonder if perhaps the upper one should be reversed (similar to how the game shipped.) I will try again tomorrow, irritated how hard it is to get to these switches to adjust.

You are almost there Russell. Just a little lowering of that arm and you've got it.

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I tried another adjustment on mine last night. Afterwards, in the course of about 3 games, it went from working when hit, to firing when the closest pop bumper did, to firing continuously with flippers.
My captive ball mech sort of feels off when you push it off center, sometimes it will stick off centre. The one in front of the sarcophagus doesn't feel that way, it's smooth and always returns to center. Maybe the spring is messed up or install wrong. I'm going to remove it today and have a look.

The way those captive balls screw in there you can adjust it a little bit to allow some more give in the movement. I had to do the exact same thing, works great now.

Spring might be binding or the ball just needs a little relief as its too tight. Back off the screws a bit.

I was too impatient Russell so i don't have the new switches yet to install. I'll wait for these to go down again.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from jefryan:

Well I had previously fixed my sarcophagus ball registering by adjusting the switch and making sure the cup was aligned properly. A few days later its back to not working again... damn this is getting frustrating. I may try to loosen the spring that iceman mentioned and see how that works.

Try unscrewing that metal post that taps the cup a little bit to have it make better contact. Worked for me

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I’m about to buy a Premium but I’m getting a bit worried. It seems that they are rushing these out the door a little too quickly and not testing them very well. Should I wait a little while to let the get their act together?

It's a phenomenal pin. The Sarcophagus mech is crap.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Now my sarcophagus captive ball fires perfectly when it's empty, but not at all if a ball is loaded in it. I'm thinking that the sw must register a hit if the top switch in the trough is closed by the second ball since the front ball doesn't move at all but simply transfers all the energy to the second ball? I need to test this to see if it's that case. I've been having trouble getting that switch adjusted to actually work and so for no luck. I guess I'll order the roller style switches as well. This seems like a really common problem with this mech, you think Stern will issue a service bulletin?

Def a longer post would help solve the captive ball issues.

I've experienced the same thing but seems to correct itself during the game when the mech lowers. I don't think the mech stays in the right position after the first ball enters the lock.

I've had the second and third balls get stuck at the top of the mech because they won't drop in there due to the wrong positioning?

I'm calling distro tech in am to see if they and/or Stern have dealt with that issue.

At least its playable right now although not perfect!

My guess is they will want to send me a new mech.

As for KPG's underworld issue i'd think the captive area is loose and just missing balls. I initially had a missing screw which totally F ed up the Sarco mech first.

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Pulled the sarcophagus mech off, the upper switch (captive ball hit) was far too stiff, the ball would get stuck on top of the blade and still not depress it. My bottom switch was far easier to activate. My TNA used the same switches in the trough and had the same problems, these are a poor design and/or not being manufactured to spec consistently. So zero for 2 on NIB games not working this year because of these cruddy switches.

Exactly, I mistakenly F ed with my top switch when i had it pulled out, despite working fine, it was the lower one that was causing me all the problems initially! Just another tweak.

For new buyers, I wouldn't be concerned, its a great pin, despite having to deal with some finicky BS.

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

If your ramp has a weld "bump" causing the ball to jump over I'd recommend contacting your dizzy or stern to get a replacement.

The mech doesn’t raise up on ball 2 lock to collect it

Works fine on ball one

Distro and Chas have email waiting for them

#255 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Gotcha. That’s good news. What’s the fix for when the game doesn’t recognize a ball waiting behind the plastic for a sarcophagus Lock?

Had to adjust that switch myself too. Mine did the same thing. Unscrew the White plastic in the back and you'll see that switch there, mine was too low to register. Easy tweak

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

the sarcophagus lock is only meant to hold one ball right? Even during sarcophagus multiball? Think I’m at 100% here and just want to make sure lol.

Here's a good summary from Fytr as to how it should work:

"So at game start you hit the sarcophagus captive ball twice to open the tomb. Sarcophagus raises up to accept a ball.

Shoot left ramp to load the ball into the sarcophagus lock. Sarcophagus lowers to flat again, with locked ball immediately behind the captive ball.

Hitting captive ball now will cause the locked ball to roll back to the end of the sarcophagus trough and hit the switch, which registers your hit of the sarcophagus (grants a mummy letter).

If you open the tomb door again the sarcophagus stays flat as it can only hold one ball. The next ball will roll off the top of it and down to the upper left flipper.

During Mummy multiball (i think) the sarcophagus will lower to dump the locked ball into the underworld scoop which shoots it out.

Also during another multiball (Trooper?) the sarcophagus will raise up a bit and if you hit it the locked ball will be knocked out and into play (add a ball). "

#273 5 years ago

Question for you guys, as I think mine is back to working at least 99%, after you lock the first ball into the Sarco lock it does take a certain amount of shots/switch hits before you can start getting the Mummy letters awarded on a captive hit?

Not sure what is activating it but it doesn't give you Letters right away upon hitting the captive ball after the lock?

When its active, before the lock and subsequently, it registers hits and awards letters every time so I know its not the switch, I think its just the rules of qualifying for the Letter availability.

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

More
When not in a mode, each hit equals one letter given.
Now, in certain modes, if not almost all of them - will not register a letter.

Interesting, it seems I have to start a mode first before I can start collecting letters, maybe after the mode ends?

It won’t register immediately after locking first ball any time. So you can start hitting captive ball right after lock and gets letters?

Sent Chas another message

I eventually get Mummy MB just takes longer

Thx KPG

#278 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

More
I think anytime the MUMMY inserts are are lit solid white the captive ball won't register hits. So if you're not seeing a letter or the red insert at the top flashing then don't expect the switch to register.

Immediately after ball rolls into the lock I get red insert solid and letter M lit

Then I can’t figure out what makes it start to register at some point but it’s not right away

Does your red insert flash right away?

#280 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I agree. This happens to me intermittently as well. I can't figure out why.

Really? Maybe that’s how it’s supposed to work?

I’m confused.

Let’s see what reply I get back from Stern

Either way, Mummy MB hits eventually start

I do get an extra ball counted somehow at times when I stack a MB with a mode

Drains with one ball left and shoots out two ball into shooter lane after drain

Not often but that has to be a code bug I think

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

More
According to the rules wiki hosted on the tiltforums site (http://tiltforums.com/t/iron-maiden-pinball-rulesheet-wip/3787):

So you should be able to immediately keep hammering on the captive ball after locking to spell Mummy again?
I can't check until I get home.

Makes perfect sense

Weird it takes a while but it has to be that top switch rollover

Got my new switches in so I’ll just replace those!

#299 5 years ago

I have a feeling the IMDN "issues" page will go on for at least a 100 pages!

It's such an awesome pin I just really don't even care about the BS.

#318 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I heard you may have trouble getting the counter-rotating disks to work properly...

Now that is funny right there!

#335 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

This is awesome! Good thing I'm not on .94 still or anything....

Careful Gryzz, you don't want to blow a board

You should wait at least another week to make sure its green lighted!

#336 5 years ago

TWD is on 1.60 Keith so its good to know we have a long ways to go on this phenomenal pin!

#364 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Noticed "Mummy" wasn't doing anything anymore, which is about the only thing I am halfway good at. Thanks to all the posts here it was easy to figure out what was going on and to fix it. I have a feeling the newton ball mechs are going to be adjusted a lot...

Yep

#396 5 years ago

I don't think blue or yellow is really an "issue". Neither one of them look good.

#410 5 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

How about just standard boring black or whatever matches the rails?
I’d think the goal would be to draw any focus from that trim and back to that awesome artwork.

I would go black and match the rails

#470 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

This can occur if your captive ball hit switch isn't registering in the sarcophagus lock trough (LE or Premium). Basically when you hit the locked ball out of the lock the game doesn't realize it and then assumes your ball is over when you still have a ball in play.
See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/5#post-4432426

Yep, and it also happens if the front rollover switch of the mech isn't recognizing.

3 weeks later
#684 5 years ago

I had to lube up my rails because this pin has been glass off and up and down like no other pin ever!!!

Got my new Sarcophagus mech installed. Solved the Mummy MB issues.

Now it won't drain out the locked ball in the lock during and after the game if a ball is in there.

It goes into down position but won't go quite all the way. Have to pull the glass and push it down so drops the ball into the underground.

Did mech test, works fine, made sure nothing was binding it, fine.

Bend the metal drop tabs?

Anybody else experience this!

1 week later
#748 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ok im new to the game and i have a Premium on the way. Is this switch on the sarcophagus lock bad on ALL of these games and will need to either be replaced or have a roller ball switch put on it, or do some of them work good and some dont?

I’d say play it until it doesn’t register anymore

My mech had other issues as well so it got replaced and new one is working, upper and lower switches are fine

Now it’s the motor, one of the switches on the wheel is closing before the mech goes into full down position which traps the ball as it tries to drain through underworld

Not a big deal.

Keep your fingers crossed Who Dey! I’d go ahead and purchase a few BW roller switches anyhow though

1 month later
#1066 5 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I had a non registiring lower sarcophogus switch, so took out the assy to fit new 2 roller style switches, as reccomended on the forum.( the good cherry versions)

Oh man, been down that road brother. It's unreal how a less than 100% functioning Sarco mech and those two switches can negatively affect game play.

For one reason or another i've broken this mech down many times, and its just a POS.

I wouldn't waste any more time, get a new mech from Stern, that's what i finally did. Back to full bliss.

When i got the new mech however, the hidden 3rd leaf switch which rotates the wheel literally fell apart, arm just dangled and dropped so i had to replace the switch from the old mech to the new one before finally getting it in excellent shape!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 85.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues?tu=iceman44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.