4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #96 sarcophagus switch fix. Posted by DG_Amuse (5 years ago)

Post #434 Black t-moulding pictured to replace stock banana yellow. Posted by Strummy (5 years ago)

Post #597 Stern fix for Newton Ball issues on LE Posted by Fytr (5 years ago)

Post #887 Fix for fast balls not registering on upper loop Posted by PinNin (5 years ago)

Post #1039 Picture of factory fix for bad mummy newton ball on Prem/LE Posted by RA77 (5 years ago)

Post #1343 Fix for fast balls leaving wireforms Posted by Kevlar (5 years ago)

Post #1452 Shim method to get auto launch to work nearly 100% Posted by hank35 (5 years ago)

Post #1713 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Fix auto launch consistency with stronger coil Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#675 5 years ago
Quoted from Huggers:

Got my game today. The plunger is awful. Looks well out of line to me. Any ideas? Vid below

Is that the coin door they are shipping games with now? Gonna be a little irritated If I got to spend another 200 to get one with a dollar bill slot.

edit:
ok never mind, didn't realize he was from a different country.

1 week later
#709 5 years ago

Got the game!
taking everything off the playfield and cleaning it... installing plastic protectors, shooter lane cliff etc.
looks like it came with the newer newton ball stuff and haven't had any issues with the sarcophagus lock

only issue thus far is a couple paint smears, you know how you notice the smallest defect and your eyes keep going back to it over and over .

ORB paint smear (resized).jpegORB paint smear (resized).jpegRevive paint smear (resized).jpegRevive paint smear (resized).jpeg
#727 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

These also have nubs.

huh, didn't really notice they weren't the nub ones....
just recently got a batman that looks the same, without nubs.

might be cheaper not to have to drill the holes?
maybe they had issues with the nubs ones, so they transitioned to the adhesive ones?

#756 5 years ago

Had a few ball hang up's the first one when fly's up the ramp and lands on the left side. Happened to me like 4 times in 20 or so games. It really gets wedged in there good, no amount of shaking or tilting would be any use.. Trying to find an elegant solution... any ideas?

The second one only happened once and shouldn't be a problem putting one of those rubber stopper things up there to keep it out of that groove.

20180715_134141 (resized).jpg20180715_134141 (resized).jpg20180715_134236 (resized).jpg20180715_134236 (resized).jpg

#757 5 years ago

I also noticed the mummy newton ball thing stopped working within the first 10 or so games. I tried readjusting the gap over and over... no matter what I couldn't get it right. I finally swapped out the switch with a B/W N.O. EOS's (think the reason they didn't use regular switches is if you don't gap it right, it double hits a lot easier). I also added the other part of the switch to the EOS - the one that helps keep the smaller contact in place.
Was able to gap it pretty easily, it works perfect now without double hits.

I had to do the same thing to my wolverine figure in X-Men after it got off kilter. That's been working great as well ever since.

Now I'm having some issues with the orb newton ball, my fault for messing with it because it was working perfectly. These newton ball things are all using the newer pointy post btw.

#760 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Looks like a couple hex risers with a custom piece of PETG there will be required to stop it from getting down there in the first place. If you've got some PETG around, probably 30 minutes work to fit, then cut and drill it.

yeah, I was thinking something along those lines. surprised this wasn't an issue at the factory. Luckily I had a few different sizes.
I'll definitely look at putting some type of clear plastic there, not my forte but think it could look nice.

finished installing a generic spike 2 cliffy and mylar, that was somewhat of a pain.
had to drill it out, due to the extra hole for the ball guide. Then shave it down big time at the trough area, otherwise it would jet to far out in the shooter lane.
(The balls were getting caught coming back down).
now launch/ auto launch is messed up... guess I moved the ball guide to far up...having NGG flashbacks .
Resized_20180715_225922 (resized).jpegResized_20180715_225922 (resized).jpeg

#762 5 years ago
Quoted from jefryan:

Hocuslocus, which part numbers did you buy? I need to go this route now myself.
Thanks!

pretty sure it was this one.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=261

regardless it doesn't really matter as long as the switch is long enough and the contacts are gold plated (something with low resistance), leafs long enough and contacts are bigger it doesn't really matter. they can't be tungsten contact switches as the resistance is to high.

those line / \ switches seem to work fine on the pops, but I was having a lot of trouble with them on the newton balls.

the picture is a little out of focus, but you need to adjust it to where there is almost no gap. beware with making the gap to small cause other stuff will set it off. Finally wound up doing the same thing to my orb, works great now. you also need to put a little pressure on the hex pointy spacer with the first contact.
Had a lot of issues with my orb ball getting stuck in a slanted position, think it's a spring problem though (needed a little more force to push it up).

as you can see I used all the parts from the other switch, I only replaced the contact parts. I'm sure there is a premade W/B pop switch you can try, but since I already had the EOS switches on hand, I choose the former. the nice thing about the bigger contacts is it's easier to set the sensitivity.
With the \ / contact switch it makes it hit and miss, unless the ball is hit with enough force or you got phantom hits.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3290
Resized_20180717_181414 (resized).jpegResized_20180717_181414 (resized).jpegResized_20180717_181419 (resized).jpegResized_20180717_181419 (resized).jpegResized_20180717_181506 (resized).jpegResized_20180717_181506 (resized).jpeg

#786 5 years ago

With mine I had to mess with the ball guide rail. Had to push that son of bitch all the way forward while tightening the screw (might be different depending on placement of screw from the factory). think the only other thing I'd look at is power... pretty sure I had to turn it up a few notches.
obviously, if your game isn't level, it won't matter. Phone apps are meh, the repeatability isn't there and I've found the level can be different depending on what phone or app you use.

I try to get the table below .05 - side to side at a couple points. That's a pretty high standard, but my logic is people will move these machines and eventually it'll throw off the level even more, better to start at a low side to side incline.... some games it's more important and noticeable then others.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LL0BIC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage
Leveling a machine is super basic and probably one of the most important things, but a lot of people seem to miss the mark on it for some reason.

works almost 100% of the time now, with a few not making it because the autolaunch fires before the ball is in place.. in multiball, but that's even a rare occurrence.

2 weeks later
#821 5 years ago
Quoted from xyntec:

that's exactly what happens to mine, I checked and there are already pointed stems in there, but when hitting the ball, it stays aside without returning to middle position sometimes. Maybe a stronger spring would help...

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing.
I think the spring coil gets caught somehow, when the ball is hit hard enough. I'm not sure how to take the captive ball, without marring the ball itself.

I was able to move the spring coil around the other side, now it still can get stuck but, only from the side position. I'm fine with that since it's near impossible to hit it at that angle with enough force. It might eventually get turned around though.
Don't think I've ever spent so much time messing with one mech.
also forcing it up via the leaf switch seems to help a little.

Only then you get to battle the leaf switch sensitivity, Took me FOREVER to find where the position was. Either it was to loose, or a little to tight and the pop bumpers set it off periodically (which is frustrating when your trying to build power jackpots). They really need to re-think that captive ball design.

#826 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ok, looks like i got my auto plunge problem fixed at least for now.

I thought I had that damn thing fixed, then the auto plunge stopped working again.
The manual plunge still works 100% of the time, so you might be one to something with the prongs.

Was thinking of upgrading the coil to have a little leeway, since it's currently maxed out via factory defaults.

Not sure if this was already posted, but I think part of the problem is even if you get the ball guide set 100% correctly eventually the ball guide will move from the ball slamming against it enough times. It doesn't take much to through it off.
on mine there was a #8 screw holding down the ball guide and you had to push the shit out of the ball guide all the way forward and then tighten it.

I added some wood (toothpicks ) & wood glue to the hole so I could put a # 6 screw in it's place. This would allow a small amount of wiggle room, so if the ball guide wouldn't have so much pressure on it. Think the only other option would be to patch the current screw hole and move it down a few mm. (closer to the middle of the correct ball guide mounting point.)

Just keep trying, eventually the magic combination will be found

#848 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

To the autoplunge crew: you're never going to get it to work 100%.

your probably right, but I'm gonna try one more thing before giving up!!

#870 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

It's not true. Keep trying but make the adjustments in small increments.

I did a test a four days ago with the manual plunge and out of 50 times it made it around 49. Came back in today and it was 48 out of 50, which tells me my guide rail is no longer moving ( I added a lock washer as well). It didn't take much movement to throw the ball off.

Checked to make sure the autoplunger tabs were hitting the ball at the same rate like Who-Dey mentioned.

The first few weeks the auto was working at about the same rate, then all the sudden it went down to 5 to 7 out of ten.
I went ahead and ordered a stronger coil, guess I'll see if that helps at all. It did great the first set of ten, then the second/third set it started messing up. Heat resistance? maybe also setting the incline at 6.5 might help? mine is currently set btwn 6.8 and 7.0

I've never found a way to get the whole playfield even side to side. Usually you can get one point on the playfield at set at (0.00), but on the high side it might read (0.15 > ) . I've always favored trying to zero out the area right above the flippers in a zone without inserts. The closer you get it the less chance it'll throw the game off if someone slides the cab... unless your floor is super un-even. I've found phones aren't the best thing to use, at least for me. The level can vary from phone to phone and app to app, there is also no repeatability most of the time. People can be pretty rough with my games though.

#883 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I found after various complex adjustments on mine that keeping it simple may work best. I’m sure there is variability between machines but my solution was to get the autolaunch to be as centered as possible by micro adjustments of the “prongs” at the launcher and the upper rail of the shooter lane under the plastic.

I didn't really look at centering it, it looked somewhat center but I wasn't really paying attention to that aspect.
I figured it was either the way it was getting pushed out or the speed. Didn't make sense that one way worked almost all the time, and not the other.

Appreciate the suggestion, I'll take another look at that next time I'm there.

Quoted from PinNin:

Related to: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/6#post-4432766
Maybe a little late, but if the counting still does not work like you want you can try the IMD PU Upgrade Kit.

I hot glued some really tiny spacers on the 4 loop opto's, seemed to fix the issue for me, pain in the ass though.
It now counts all loops regardless of speed.

#888 5 years ago
Quoted from PinNin:

Gluing tiny spacer leads to the B/W style opto. But if you take several IMD into account you will see that the optos are screwed with tolerances in all machines. So it could happen that the spacer solution does not work for everybody without adjusting the optos. I think there are many pinheads that a not so good in fixing problems and lucky to solve it by only working on a few screws.
The kit is a simple solution, easy to install and should work on nearly all machines without doing complicated work. I found for US people you can also get it a from Pinballlife (https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=5264).
Only an easy suggestion

yeah I hear ya, pretty sure I had to use slightly longer screws. Think they were 4-40's, I can't imagine most people would have those on stand-by. The spacers themselves weren't hard to put in, it was trying to find the right height for each set of optos. Honestly wish that upgrade kit was available when I first got the machine . I've asked about ordering from that site before, they said they don't deliver to the U.S. it's a shame they have some pretty neat products.

#889 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Some more info...I put Cliffy’s in the shooter lane and just that small elevation caused the balls to hit the post below the loop.

Yeah, usually you can get those things lined up most of the time to where it doesn't affect the ball that much. I'm finding it a little more difficult with the metal rail cliffies since they tend to slide out sometimes if you don't push them far enough to the right side before tightening.
I usually re-do the 3M contact adhesive to cover the whole bottom side and quick grip the piss out of it in two places before putting the screws in. Seems to work most of the time, took a lot of trial and error to get right.

#912 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

My LE lower Newton Ball was having constant issues since day 1. The issue was that whenever it was hit it wouldn't re-seat to a consistent centered position. It would get stuck pushed back or to the side a bit and then start registering hits over and over again. I took it apart and examined the sleeve in which it sits. This sleeve is circular and has a sloping edge so that the ball will automatically center itself. However mine was cut so poorly that there was a ridge on one side and cuts all along the sloping sides making it impossible for the ball to move smoothly.
I filed the edges of the slope with a rat tail file, then a finer file and then polished it with a cloth Dremel polishing bit dipped in some Novus 2 to make it as smooth as possible. Problem solved!
The first two (blurry) pics are the "before" and the last is the finished product.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

same thing was happening to mine, I thought it might of been the spring getting caught on a edge or something.
the mummy one centers every time, but the orb one...
This thing took me forever to get adjusted correctly, the pops set it off pre-maturely or it didn't get set off at all.
Then it kept getting stuck in the slanted position.
that thing drove me crazy

#923 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

What did you do to fix yours?

I was able to rotate the bushing thing you shaved down, so it was only getting caught from hard side hits (which rarely happen).
Tried to take it apart, wasn't real sure how to go about it since there was nothing to grip onto except the newton ball itself... didn't want to mar it up.

maybe I'll give it shot since I know exactly what to do now... when I have time. Really not looking forward to gapping that switch again. Not sure why I had such an issue gapping it, seems like everyone else did theirs pretty easily... or maybe their pop's are setting it off to, but they aren't noticing? It was maybe once out of 30 pop hits, it magically set the power jackpot off and made the orb sound.

1 week later
#1027 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

With adjustment of the auto plunger prongs my auto plunges have gone from 0% to literally 100% .....yes 100%..

Quoted from dts:

It's not true. Keep trying but make the adjustments in small increments.

finally had a chance to mess with the prongs a little, didn't quiet get it working yet... but I noticed a huge difference by moving them ever so slightly (more then anything else I've done).
Gonna try again tomorrow, hoping this issue will be resolved finally.

I did try installing the new lower resistance coil, as you would of guessed it didn't make much of a difference. the only good thing is now I can underpower it by 15-20 and still get the same results as the default 255 with the factory coil. If it smacks into the flipper, I don't think it matters at what speed.

#1028 5 years ago

one other issue I've noticed with newer sterns in general is the inlane/outlane GI lighting usually starts to flicker. Seems to be more prevalent with newer sterns in areas where there is a lot of vibration. I used to think it was the LED itself, now I know it's the contact btwn the bulb and socket.

all four of my iron maiden inlane GI's were doing this, I replaced the bulbs like 3 times before it dawned on me that the LED wasn't the issue... had the same issue on guardians and batman always in the same area.
besides adding solder to the LED casing or squeezing the socket are there any other fixes. maybe filing down the coating a little on the socket itself?

#1045 5 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Just got my game and my newton ball/mummy switch sucks. For give me for not going through the whole thread but was is the best fix?

yeah there a pain to get working right even with the pointy hex spacer thing... at least for me it was.... mainly the newton orb ball because the pops kept setting the power jackpot off prematurely every now and again.
pretty sure if my newton ball didn't get stuck in the tilted position, it would of made it much easier. There was another post a few pages back that went into more detail on how to fix that as well.

be patient, get it tweaked, its worth it.

5 months later
#1800 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Few have you have asked now.
I had the auto launch problem. I tried everything:
1: The washer
2: The wax
3: the adjustment of the mech.
4: cardio surgery
5: Frontal lobotomy
6: Faith healers
7: dentistry
8: turning it off and on again.
none of them worked.
Then I was watching Star Trek, not that new rubbish, Star Trek 4, full power now sir!
More power! that's what this needs.
So I stuck a bigger coil in https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-090-5023-ot22-600-coil.html 22-600. Don’t install the diode. And I’m using 205 on power settings.
Boom, all good. but with trooper a little too much power, so dialled it back on the settings. No more Fucking problem.
You're Welcome.
Cheers,
Neil.

yeah, that, the newton balls (premium/LE) & the mini loop optos not registering 100%, were the biggest issues this game had - NIB.
the ball guide kept moving as well, I held it down with a lock washer and the regular sheet metal screw they used. Forget what coil I used, but that coupled with a few other things seemed to solve the issue for the most part. Awesome what they were trying to do, but frustrating to get it to work.

11 months later
#2208 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

You ever figure out a way to stop the flickering? My lower gi has been flickering with each flip for awhile. Replaced bulbs, flickering stopped for a day or two and is back in full force. Haven't came across any solid fixes.

I had a similar issue on my paragon to where the socket wasn't making great contact with the LEDs in the pops. I added solder in key places and crimped the socket with needle nose pliers so the bulb didn't move from the vibrations and it worked like a charm, so I kept doing that for older solid states.

I've tried diff stuff with these sterns, like crimping the sockets and replacing the bulb. nothing works for to long.
Figured its the same thing though, vibrations make it difficult.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues?tu=hocuslocus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.