1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 2,189 posts
  • 299 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by Tranquilize
  • Topic is favorited by 129 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 276 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191026_121732 (resized).jpg
AE80355F-5C88-4F47-ACF9-CD1947559B71 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpg
C4C11B34-E040-48CA-92DC-99801E773D7D (resized).jpeg
IM right ramp fix (resized).jpg
IMG_2220 (resized).JPG
IMG_2219 (resized).JPG
IMG_2218 (resized).JPG
newton-ball-unscrew (resized).jpg
7728A7C8-BFD1-44AB-83AB-91CB1B9128EB (resized).jpeg
A24B7A39-59AD-45C4-8CA2-27C135D501F3 (resized).png
MVIMG_20190818_220245 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_9941 (resized).jpg
IMG_9939 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190817_233035 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #96 sarcophagus switch fix. Posted by DG_Amuse (1 year ago)

Post #434 Black t-moulding pictured to replace stock banana yellow. Posted by Strummy (1 year ago)

Post #597 Stern fix for Newton Ball issues on LE Posted by Fytr (1 year ago)

Post #887 Fix for fast balls not registering on upper loop Posted by PinNin (1 year ago)

Post #1039 Picture of factory fix for bad mummy newton ball on Prem/LE Posted by RA77 (1 year ago)

Post #1343 Fix for fast balls leaving wireforms Posted by Kevlar (1 year ago)

Post #1452 Shim method to get auto launch to work nearly 100% Posted by hank35 (1 year ago)

Post #1713 How to fix auto launch forever. Posted by NeilMcRae (10 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#777 1 year ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

No. It has always been a problem since I got the game. There does not seem to be any solution. Adjusting the shooter lane guide works for a while, then it doesn't. Wax does change things - but not always for the best. I am afraid of trying to do anything more without really screwing something up. For me, the inconsistency/randomness of the auto-plunge has become part of the game and I just play on and not let it prevent me from enjoying an otherwise awesome pinball machine.
Perhaps a defeatist attitude, but it doesn't appear that Stern is stepping up to find a solution that is a permanent fix.

I keep messing around with this and think the autoplunger puts some topspin variability into the launch. I think this may explain why adjusting the upper part of the shooter lane doesn’t hold up. Tonight I took everything apart and reassembled it with millimeter adjustments of the top of the shooter lane. It’s either good on the manual plunger or on autoplunger but not both. So I tried making the autoplunger Mech smoother where it contacts the ball...no better. Then I put furniture floor protectors on the inside of the autoplunger where it contacts the ball, using a razor to cut it down. Now both work perfectly, adjusting to the manual plunger. I’ll keep watching to see if this is the solution, at least on my game, hopefully others too!

45743566-34AA-4FBA-A880-23BF001A6727 (resized).jpeg
#779 1 year ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

You'll have to replace those about once a week. I tried that on an older pin (when I was new to pinball) to protect the ball from scratching. Lots of force right there wears them down or moves them quickly.

That makes sense. If it keeps working, I may experiment with other materials, like rubber.

#782 1 year ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

With the ball at rest there, and moving the auto plunger up to touch the ball by hand, do both prongs or whatever you call them touch the ball evenly? On mine the left prong hit the ball, but the right side didn't touch at all, by several millimeters. It would have been knocking the ball up and out of the channel, or putting spin on it. Anyway, as I posted in the club thread, I just bent each side/prong with needle nose pliers until they were lined up to touch the ball evenly when it was at rest - now the autoplunge works nearly perfectly. Originally mine hit the upper flipper most of the time if I wasn't holding it up...
I'm assuming that may in fact be what you're correcting with the felt pads - but I can't tell for sure from the picture.

Yes, the ball is touched evenly on both sides before and after I put the pads on. This seems to be working but time will tell. I'll be interested in whether your fix is sustained or changes over time. My experience has been to make an adjustment and then after a time the ball path changes again. I've been trying to figure out what the variable is. For now, at least, I am thinking that more friction from scratches on the ball, rail, etc may produce more topspin. A slow motion video would sort that out. Let us know what happens with your fix!

#785 1 year ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

With the ball at rest there, and moving the auto plunger up to touch the ball by hand, do both prongs or whatever you call them touch the ball evenly? On mine the left prong hit the ball, but the right side didn't touch at all, by several millimeters. It would have been knocking the ball up and out of the channel, or putting spin on it. Anyway, as I posted in the club thread, I just bent each side/prong with needle nose pliers until they were lined up to touch the ball evenly when it was at rest - now the autoplunge works nearly perfectly. Originally mine hit the upper flipper most of the time if I wasn't holding it up...
I'm assuming that may in fact be what you're correcting with the felt pads - but I can't tell for sure from the picture.

I played with the "prongs" and widened them a bit, still touching the ball on either side. That seems to work as well. If you make it too wide, the ball rests on the manual plunger, so it has to be just right. Now to see if it is sustained...

#789 1 year ago

Well, after messing around extensively with the shooter lane, autoplunger mech, etc, I’ve found a reliable and simple fix: just widen the lane. With every adjustment, there would ultimately be too much variability and the ball would bounce back. Without going over all that, two things. Make sure the manual plunger is perfect, which could require an upper shooter lane adjustment, but probably not. Then, just move the top left flipper up a bit to widen the lane. That was always my last option and should have been the first. It is flawless now, played it a ton, fast and smooth, like the Swiss watch I had initially.

C607C8D2-B018-48B4-98C7-90A70E3A90F6 (resized).jpeg
#811 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I just talked to David about the auto launch issue. He said they have been working on it and as of right now there is no permanent fix. It is going to be a continual battle unless someone comes up with the magic fix. I may try a stronger coil to see if that helps--the next strongest coil per David is a 23700, #090-5022-00T--he said it is about 10% stronger. He also said to make sure the machine is level side-to-side, and try 6.5 pitch.
Well, I spent a couple of hours this morning adjusting everything and its grandmother, and the auto plunge still sucks. I can make it a little better, but never better than 75%.

Thanks for working on this! I’m continuing to experiment as well and have intervals where it is perfect and then needs adjusting. Might try the stronger coil out, thanks for the tip. The manual plunger seems stronger, so maybe there is something to that.

1 week later
#842 1 year ago

My only issue now is that I'm gonna have to enter rehab for playing it so much!

My autoplunger is working great and is consistent with the adustments, 100% accurate, no need to hold up the left upper flipper as mentioned by some in this thread.

#849 1 year ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

your probably right, but I'm gonna try one more thing before giving up!!

It's not true. Keep trying but make the adjustments in small increments.

#852 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

If you nudge often, it is unfortunately true.

Nah, it’s fixable. I just shot video of trooper multiball, zero misses allowing all balls to drain and reload. Can’t seem to download it to here right now. I suppose if you are whaling on the machine during auto launch you might bounce it off something but I’d think you would be tilting at that point.

#877 1 year ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

I did a test a four days ago with the manual plunge and out of 50 times it made it around 49. Came back in today and it was 48 out of 50, which tells me my guide rail is no longer moving ( I added a lock washer as well). It didn't take much movement to throw the ball off.
Checked to make sure the autoplunger tabs were hitting the ball at the same rate like who-dey mentioned.
The first few weeks the auto was working at about the same rate, then all the sudden it went down to 5 to 7 out of ten.
I went ahead and ordered a stronger coil, guess I'll see if that helps at all. It did great the first set of ten, then the second/third set it started messing up. Heat resistance? maybe also setting the incline at 6.5 might help? mine is currently set btwn 6.8 and 7.0
I've never found a way to get the whole playfield even side to side. Usually you can get one point on the playfield at set at (0.00), but on the high side it might read (0.15 > ) . I've always favored trying to zero out the area right above the flippers in a zone without inserts. The closer you get it the less chance it'll throw the game off if someone slides the cab... unless your floor is super un-even. I've found phones aren't the best thing to use, at least for me. The level can vary from phone to phone and app to app, there is also no repeatability most of the time. People can be pretty rough with my games though.

I found after various complex adjustments on mine that keeping it simple may work best. I’m sure there is variability between machines but my solution was to get the autolaunch to be as centered as possible by micro adjustments of the “prongs” at the launcher and the upper rail of the shooter lane under the plastic. Mine is at 7.1% but the incline didn’t really matter. I’m going on a couple of weeks now with lots of play and 100% accurate. I debated the stronger coil as well but it doesn’t seem to need it when working properly. It shoots around the loop very fast. I’ll post if it goes out of true and how hard it is to adjust again. I’m guessing not too hard at this point. Seems like this could happen but I’m so pleased with how it is going it doesn’t concern me anymore. It’s worth tinkering with for sure.

#879 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

dts--Next time you come to vacation in Aguanga, please stop by and fix mine

You don't need me--you're near Mecca, THE Museum of Pinball, up in Banning, with a legion of techs! Seriously, if I can duplicate some results that would be nice. There is another one here in town I may check in with. I'm hoping Stern provides some trouble shooting tips as well so everyone has some better frame of reference. Keith, are you out there?! But I'm only two weeks in, so I'll be more convinced over time that it is reliable.

#885 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Also keep in mind that you have to look at the auto plunger when its just sitting there in the resting position and then you need to push it all the way forward and see if its lined up in that position also.

Some more info...I put Cliffy’s in the shooter lane and just that small elevation caused the balls to hit the post below the loop. Adjusted the autoplunger mech prongs, the upper rail of the shooter lane, and back to perfect...for now. I should mention that the right prong is touching the ball now at rest, so I’m not absolutely sure both of them touching the ball is the answer. Probably gonna vary game to game. I’ll keep an eye on it and report back if any of this is useful. At this point I’m gonna sign off on this issue and enjoy my games!

#940 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Changing the auto plunge power did nothing for my game. The fix was all in the prongs.

Same here, tried a variety of settings on the autoplunger strength first and no go. Mine was perfect for a month without adjustments and then changed. Good now.

4 months later
#1590 11 months ago

Adjusting the upper rail and prongs on the autoplunger mechanism have done the trick for the last six months on my machine.

#1628 11 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

sadly I doubt you will be at the end of the tweaking process. I very much try to be positive about stuff, but on the LE/Premium there is just far too much that doesn't work well enough.

My LE, after tweaking, has been rock solid for 6 months. Maybe I was lucky, but my adjustments included the autoplunger loop, and both the clairvoyant target and newton ball target, the same target mech. Also had to adjust the switch behind the mummy tomb as the ball would get stuck there. No probs since.

#1635 11 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

My machine had the same list...but I also had to add resistance (with tape) to avoid having the Trooper MB lock rubber creep up.
Two questions: Is your auto-plunger 100%? What technique did you use?

Out of curiosity, I just did the auto plunger 200 times on the trooper multiball mode and it came in 98% for the first hundred and 96% for the second. So not perfect, but I'm happy with that for now. After I got it in May, it played perfectly the first hundred games or so. Then it was missing the loop perhaps 20 percent of the time. It took a bit of time and experimenting to get it back to normal. My experience was that minimal adjustments, a millimeter or two on the upper rail of the shooter lane, would make a significant difference. I also played with the prongs on the autoplunger mech to deliver the force a little differently, and moved the upper left flipper up a couple of millimeters. That doesn't appear to be needed on my game though, as my ball comes closer to the lower end of the loop. For a while, I removed the screw to the upper rail of the shooter lane and allowed it to go where it wanted. That worked for a while, and then didn't--the washer fix was proposed from someone seeing the same thing. The shim idea seems good but I haven't needed to try it. I did take everything apart more than once to try to figure it out. These few adjustments have worked well for others here as well but not everyone, apparently. Anyhow, I hope you get it fixed! It is worth taking the time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside