4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #96 sarcophagus switch fix. Posted by DG_Amuse (5 years ago)

Post #434 Black t-moulding pictured to replace stock banana yellow. Posted by Strummy (5 years ago)

Post #597 Stern fix for Newton Ball issues on LE Posted by Fytr (5 years ago)

Post #887 Fix for fast balls not registering on upper loop Posted by PinNin (5 years ago)

Post #1039 Picture of factory fix for bad mummy newton ball on Prem/LE Posted by RA77 (5 years ago)

Post #1343 Fix for fast balls leaving wireforms Posted by Kevlar (5 years ago)

Post #1452 Shim method to get auto launch to work nearly 100% Posted by hank35 (5 years ago)

Post #1713 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Fix auto launch consistency with stronger coil Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RA77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

So....what is the fix on the crackling sound ? My pro does that along with my AS pro. My GB prem does that at high volumes as well , what gives man ? Does Stern build there games that they cant handle their own power at high volumes and causes the amp to get overloaded and start clipping on and off ?

Even though the hardware is at such a tight tolerance
Amp low power and speakers very basic.
I believe Audio mixing levels may be incorrect.

I would not be in a hurry to upgrade replace hardware at this time
and expect the problem will be sorted out through code.

Hopefully there is an audio guru at Stern that will deliver incredible sound.

3 weeks later
#441 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Slo-mo hi-res is awesome for pinball diagnosis in situations like this. Allows you to see the actual root of problems you may not have even considered.
Also, you might want to Ohm out the coil for the auto launch and see if the resistance is substantially different from what it should be.

Would be cool for Stern to implement a slow mo sw test within the on board diagnostics.

I was kinda hoping for easy and accurate on board diagnostics.

Does Spike have Tech alerts ?
Do they work ?

#445 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

More
Spike and Spike 2 have tech alerts just like SAM and Whitestar, but they wouldn't cover something like this auto-launch issue, then or now. Some issues you just have to soldier through until you hit a solution.

Understand
I was referring to switch problems.
I would have thought some clever code could assist home owners and operators

The reason I asked if tech alerts work is they did not help when my Met had inline opto fail

I can't understand why switches cant be more actively monitored ?

#447 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

More
I hate the new Spike/2 switch diagnostics screen. Super crap. They have a color screen now, why don't they have a system like JJP with a color PF image and an indicator of where that switch is when you trigger it? I mean Pinball 2000 18 years ago had better diagnostics!
Stern has all these new programmers - put one of them to work completely overhauling the system menu for the color screens they have NOW, not the DMD-look they kept from Whitestar/SAM.

I have seen P2000 has great diagnostics, YES

Can this be emulated/replicated ? with Stern

Seems tech modes are very much lacking in this modern era 2018.......... there is great tech available to manage this

Hidden agenda ?

Start the conspiracy theories

#547 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Stop all sales. Recall.

Lol
If the game was not great
The backlash would be overwhelming

#550 5 years ago

Interesting fault

Perhaps try re-seat connectors dome to node

Intelligent dome has 35 RGB's

Maybe the dome thinks it belongs in AFM ?

1 month later
#894 5 years ago

Need this

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=5264

To fix this

20180814_184945 (resized).jpg20180814_184945 (resized).jpg
#901 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I updated today but didnt notice anything like that. I only played 3-4 games though.

Same here

#925 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So I am still running 1.01 is it definitely worth upgrading to 1.3? Only reason I ask is I've used pinball browser to change all my songs and it takes some time to redo that. Just curious what others think.
Any chance it could help with a weak left flipper? My left flipper SUCKS compared to the right one...has since the day I opened the box...

Yes, The Audio quality improvement is excellent !
Plenty of other improvements.

Did you check coil sleeve ?

#933 5 years ago
Quoted from db666:

Thank you, I will give this a try .. much appreciated.

The leaf gap on my LE is HUGE

Strange thing................ it works perfect

I fitted perfect play red 2 1/2" rubbers to slings from Pinball life and no problems at all

Very happy with these bands !

20180815_134435 (resized).jpg20180815_134435 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1029 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

finally had a chance to mess with the prongs a little, didn't quiet get it working yet... but I noticed a huge difference by moving them ever so slightly (more then anything else I've done).
Gonna try again tomorrow, hoping this issue will be resolved finally.
I did try installing the new lower resistance coil, as you would of guessed it didn't make much of a difference. the only good thing is now I can underpower it by 15-20 and still get the same results as the default 255 with the factory coil. If it smacks into the flipper, I don't think it matters at what speed.

Mini flipper may require adjustment, mine was sitting low
I moved UP by a couple of mm

Perfect

20180815_143418 (resized).jpg20180815_143418 (resized).jpg
#1030 5 years ago

Hey,

Check out those Craters !

I need to play my LE more !

#1038 5 years ago
Quoted from Brootull:

How do you adjust the mini flipper up?

Only just, loosen set screw 12

Grab flipper bat and carefully pull around to right, to align with marker hole in playfield.
Tighten set screw, Check you have a little up/down play on shaft, mini flipper should move freely.

As per photo mine is still 1mm low of centre mark, but no more ball strikes on launch and mini flipper shoots better now.

20180815_143418 (resized).jpg20180815_143418 (resized).jpgfl (resized).JPGfl (resized).JPGfl1 (resized).JPGfl1 (resized).JPG
#1039 5 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Just got my game and my newton ball/mummy switch sucks. For give me for not going through the whole thread but was is the best fix?

Ask your distributor for this

newton post (resized).jpgnewton post (resized).jpg
#1064 5 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Allright.. so three weeks of pure playing bliss have ended abruptly..
Trouble free, untill a few days ago. I dont mind the dialing in, captive balls etc. But the mummy lock has me stumped..
I dont quite understand the software logic enough as to why one switch can upset the gameplay so badly to terminate play .
I had a non registiring lower sarcophogus switch, so took out the assy to fit new 2 roller style switches, as reccomended on the forum.( the good cherry versions)
Adjusting them proves difficult, as they are a little stiff, holding the ball rolling back into the through. Too low.. and the front one wont register in the most horizontal position.. its super minimal
Question is .. Are there different length leafs with a roller?

Check posts 729-735 has some good detail

Topic gallery and index at top of page are a great feature. Thanks Pinside !

1 week later
#1114 5 years ago

The main issue I have is the Newton ball switch design is SHIT !

I burned another couple of hours stuffing around with this.

I managed to gap the switch with old style post was fine.
Put the new pointy post in and its crap.

Was initially patient, went to the trouble of completely removing newton ball ass'y as it gets sticky.

Cleaned, sanded, oiled base unit. Just CRAP

Pointy Post to Plastic spoon and leaf switch SUCKS BIG TIME !

So pissed off with the erratic nature of a crucial component of the game

Message to Engineers

Please DO NOT USE THIS CRAP IDEA AGAIN !

What happened to the proximity sensors in original design ?

You guys got the cash and the tech

There has to be a better newton switch design !
Go next level please

1 month later
#1212 5 years ago

Yep
Had same problem
Wins Twerpy award for
Most poorly designed mech of 2018

2 weeks later
#1299 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

What do you all think of this? I can rest a ball on the screw, so it definitely hits the ball every time I make the right ramp, possibly nicking, but also probably slowing the ball as well. Should I try and just bend the wire guide? I would have to bend it a bit to try and clear that screw....
Do any of your maidens have the screw protruding into the path of the ball?
[quoted image]

That wireform looks trashed !

get a new one

1 week later
#1361 5 years ago

Originally auto launch was fine (make loop easy) for about 30 minutes. Then it would get lazy after the game warmed up.

After checking mech a finding all appeared to be okay, my distributor send me a new launch coil.

I replace the coil and sleeve and its worse its crap even when cold now.
Coil at factory default 255 Max power.

Ball is resting on prongs fine.
Mech appears good.

The game sucks when ball wont make loop !

Any ideas please guys ?

#1363 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So if you manually work the plunger on the launch coil (with the power off - thanks, Spike2!), does it move freely?
If it does move freely, what does the power at the coil measure (power on) with a ranging multimeter when it launches a ball?

Thanks Vic.

Yep complete plunger mech works freely.
300mv drop on launch 48v drops to 47.7v.

Did the washer mod even though there is no issue with trajectory, re-checked prongs ok
Manual plunge is controllable and acceptable.

Auto plunge just doesn't have the balls to make the loop, I'm gonna put the old coil back in and see if it goes back to the old ways of being fine for 1/2 hr before fading.

Yes there is a shooter lane protector, not sure how this could impede launch power ?

20181115_094614 (resized).jpg20181115_094614 (resized).jpg20181115_094623 (resized).jpg20181115_094623 (resized).jpg20181115_095115 (resized).jpg20181115_095115 (resized).jpg20181115_095435 (resized).jpg20181115_095435 (resized).jpg
#1366 5 years ago

I checked impedance of coils, both at 4 ohms.

Put the old coil back in and it will make loop now,,,, only just at times. funny that most times it makes the drop for inner left loop to upper left flipper for skill shot. lol
Manual launch, orange spring still fine.

Narrowed gap on launch bracket prongs a little has helped, prongs look a little ordinary....had a great test game made GC... got Madness mode for the first time, Wow ! game lasted about 25 minutes and launch did not fade remained lazy though

Would really like to get a stronger auto launch, as voltage is good I'm thinking of trying another coil ?

Factory Coil is 23 800 any suggestion for stronger replacement ? I will request a new main bracket.

Thanks,
Ando

20181115_140050 (resized).jpg20181115_140050 (resized).jpgCapture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#1368 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Presume you checked the coil stop? Maybe broken or missing?

Thanks for suggestion, yep stop appears to be fine.

#1373 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Have you also pushed the auto plunger all the way forward RA77 and made sure that the prongs are touching the ball in that position also?

Yes, Thanks.

The manual plunge tip was pushing the ball about a mm off the prongs, I added an extra washer on the plunger rod to stop this but it made no difference.

Slow

Normal

#1392 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Looks like the plunger is dragging in the video.
There is a very slight hesitation half way thru the stroke, could be a bad coil sleeve.
Maybe its firing crooked. Get a replacement mech or examine yours for looseness or binding when actuated.
If it fires at a very slight angle internally, it will rob all the power from it.
If all else fails, un-wind a couple rows of wire from the coil to make it more powerful. "Speed Mod" etc.

Thanks, Yep I'm going to request new mech.
I didn't like the look of the look of the kicker arm, It was kinda bent before I got to it.
Mech moves freely, no binding at all

Both coil and sleeve were replaced and seemed to have less power, back to original coil now and its a little better.
I may try modifying 1 of the coils.
I would like to find out what the actual cause is. Will let you guys know what solution is.

Appreciate all the feedback from all trying to help

Many thanks

Cheers,
Ando

2 weeks later
#1444 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Alright gents, my IMDN LE auto-launch out of the box was working correctly about 2/3 - 3/4 of the time.
I checked the ball guide and it was nice and straight and set to the furthest out/highest setting without bending anything. When the ball shoots successfully it seems perfectly aligned. However, some of the time it will either hit the black rubber post below the left loop entrance, or the tip of the small flipper across from it (so too low or too high).
So I tried messing with the autolaunch coil power settings a bit, no appreciable difference in the success/failure rate, but it does give a bit of a choice of whether when it fails you want the ball to have enough force to possibly give you a super-jackpot sometime, or just roll part-way up the ramp and then dribble down the middle.
I also took a look at the auto-launcher itself and I believe that it is the source of the problem. It is simply not built to the kind of tolerances that will keep the prongs centered reliably on the ball. It is very sloppy, and the single lightweight metal arm on the right side that is triggered by the coil firing naturally causes a sideways twisting pressure on it that can cause the prongs to be slightly higher on one side than the other, or even make both prongs move to the left away from center.
I even tried to introduce more tension in the shooter prong piece by bending the two arms below the playfield further apart so that there would some tension when it was tightened and it would be less sloppy side-to-side. This was effective in reducing the side-to-side sloppyness when using light pressure but not enough to hold when the coil fires. Even the bushings used around the rod that holds it are too large with enough of a gap to prevent it from staying perfectly straight. The net result was 0% improvement, still works 2/3 - 3/4 of the time.
So I don't think this can be solved without someone creating a replacement launcher, or maybe an upgrade kit for the existing one. Stern's launcher is as cheap as you could possibly make it, I think the metal on it might actually float it's so lightweight...
First handyman to craft a reliable autolauncher get's my $100.

Yes,
I am going to request a new kicker arm
Stern must have changed supplier or existing supplier trimmed the new ones down
The metal is now thinner and no doubt would flex when it strikes the ball.
Comparing to kicker are in METLE is better quality
I want to see if the old ones are available and interchangeable.
Check my previous post auto plunge ass'y in image gallery.

1 week later
#1468 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

If the newton ball isn't centering properly, unscrew the spring retaining collar (8) slightly. Loosen (4) first and start with about 1/2 turn on (8).
Rob
[quoted image]

Thanks Rob,

I must reiterate, please all, excuse me for continuosly going on about this junk mech.

take a look at the exploded view provided from Rob , simply unacceptable in today's day and age

Just a huge waste of materials added to the BoM, Additionally the wasted labor required for assembly,

What happened to the proximity sensors ? even the simple NB ass'y from Met is way better.

The worst part is the headaches this mech is causing owners and distributors.

As a pinball tech at a technical level, there is NO way this mech can be reliable !

I never want to see this rubbish again, you are better than this Stern Pinball.

There has never been a worse newton ball.

I ask Stern to come up with a proper solution.

1 week later
#1532 5 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Iron Maiden pro issue
Ball keeps getting stuck on the upper right side of the cab
Right by the upright support post for the right ramp. Ball gets airborne lands there and gets stuck little tap gets it out but not sure if anyone has any suggestions.

I put a piece of foam there where the ball gets stuck

Too much of a hassle to do this pictured below

p1 (resized).JPGp1 (resized).JPGp2 (resized).JPGp2 (resized).JPG
#1557 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All right, team: I’m having the Orb issue. Could someone please point me to a post with the fix? I know I’ve read it, but want familiar enough with the game at the time.
It just won’t register - if I manually move the captive ball back and forth, yes it works, but it never triggers during a game. So... ?

Have a browse through the topic gallery, or key posts at the top of page, this will quickly point you the the numerous posts about the crud mech.

#1568 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Uh oh, I got two different opinions on the left flippers firing together. Anyone have a tie-breaking opinion based on how their game is set up? I'm not sure if mine was like this the entire time I've had it, or if it something that changed over time.

Hey Billy,

Correct staging should be same a right,
There are 2 leafs, compare how they are set.

Light press lower flippers only, full press upper flippers and lower flippers.

#1569 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Same, although my manual used to work. It now hits the post. What is the shim mod? Is that for the manual plunge? Could my spring have just gotten a bit worn?

See key posts at top of page

I kinda like it, Makes sense , the new metal guides are way thin, too much flex, Thanks Hank. I will be trying this when I get a new kicker.

#1618 5 years ago
Quoted from Tonic67:

What a great thread..thanks to all. Got my my premium dialed in tonight. Just needed a couple of tweaks..this is the best Stern pin I've played in years. Amazing job on this overall package. Thanks Keith and staff at Stern!
[quoted image]

Man, the game is killer !

Just can be a bitch to dial in !

Enjoy !

2 weeks later
#1680 5 years ago

Another place for a ball hang up

20190120_191020 (resized).jpg20190120_191020 (resized).jpg20190120_191056 (resized).jpg20190120_191056 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1767 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I’m glad I passed on getting this game. The shooter and auto launch is complete BS. My MET is actually acting up a little too and it’s because the ball contact of both the auto plunge and manual plunger are not hitting center of the ball. I’m gonna have to adjust the mech AGAIN. If I want to play it I’ll just play it on location and save me the money and headache.

If you want an amazing game I would reconsider.
IMDN is a TOP 5 of all time.

Yes it is frustrating and time consuming to sort out some hardware flaws.
But everything can be fixed, and for this title it is totally worth it.

The support from our distributor has been fantastic
I have a higher power coil on the way.

IMDN is the best of my 3 pin lineup.

20181215_210738 (resized).jpg20181215_210738 (resized).jpg
5 months later
#2042 4 years ago
Quoted from CHIEF1893:

Fellow Pinsiders
I have my IM pro for about a month and while playing we notice alot of air balls. Ball lands on left wire form, when shooting center ramp flies back and lands on plastic covers. Tried putting the stern balls back that I replaced with some marco ones didn't do much, playfield is at 6.8 and centered L/R. Also when starting trooper do all 3 balls come out from left loop? Lately only 2 get trapped there and other comes out from right orbit. Thanks in advance.

Do you have original tapered post sleeves ?
Stern black ones
Pitch and center is perfect
Trooper does same on my LE Somehow it changed after last code update if I recall correctly. I do recall that they used to all come out on the left.
You could try reducing flipper power perhaps ?

3 weeks later
#2087 4 years ago

While not pretty, that's how flux and clear lacquer react at solder melt point.
The joints are sound, ugly as they look. A little acetone would have made the work look a lot less ugly.
I think as mentioned this may be an easy fix to a common problem.
I do question the 200 bucks for a replacement pcb though, that's a bit rich.
Thanks for posting Snaroff, There is a good chance this will help others.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Trade
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RA77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues?tu=RA77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.