4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #96 sarcophagus switch fix. Posted by DG_Amuse (5 years ago)

Post #434 Black t-moulding pictured to replace stock banana yellow. Posted by Strummy (5 years ago)

Post #597 Stern fix for Newton Ball issues on LE Posted by Fytr (5 years ago)

Post #887 Fix for fast balls not registering on upper loop Posted by PinNin (5 years ago)

Post #1039 Picture of factory fix for bad mummy newton ball on Prem/LE Posted by RA77 (5 years ago)

Post #1343 Fix for fast balls leaving wireforms Posted by Kevlar (5 years ago)

Post #1452 Shim method to get auto launch to work nearly 100% Posted by hank35 (5 years ago)

Post #1713 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Fix auto launch consistency with stronger coil Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NimblePin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#348 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Not sure what else to try.

Honestly, I’d be going back up in pitch (7.2-7.5 range) making sure its level, and focus more on the coil power/settings.
(Don’t get me wrong though, the adjustments to the actual mech is certainly important...)
I lowered the trough eject to almost the bare minimum so it can center the ball and diffuse the wall rattle faster during multiball starts.

#351 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Is this a software or hardware change?

Software, adjustments (wrench icon) in the game settings (Eddie’s face) menu.
Feature #73 for trough eject, #74 for auto plunge.

Coil pulse power is on the S.P.I. Standard adjustments page (Pinball icon) #44.

Adjust these to see if it helps your autolaunch issue.
You might have to go up or down based on you location’s line voltage.
These adjustments in conjunction with the mechanical tweaks of the lane and mech should get you where you need to be.

Which is autolaunch shredding on Iron Maiden!!!

#354 5 years ago

*sigh*
A5B933D9-0B0F-40FE-8A39-0D5A830D2E6A (resized).jpegA5B933D9-0B0F-40FE-8A39-0D5A830D2E6A (resized).jpeg

#356 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

A full manual plunge will always hit the post.

You’re plunging too harrrrd.

If you prefer a “full bodied” plunge, go with a slightly softer spring. Otherwise you’ll keep on bricking if you don’t dial it back on the pull.

Lest we forget,
Skill shots are to be earned, not freely given.

#358 5 years ago

No and yes.
It can go for the full loop if you’re at 85% of the plunge on the orange spring but it’s all about that FEEL.
Full plunge usually bricks on mine but, there’s so many variables at play that could easily improve/change that statement.
Like I said, change springs if you prefer the full plunge, otherwise, practice (on the stock orange) makes perfect.

#362 5 years ago

For Trooper multiball start, yes. 100%.
For random ball saves during mutilball it’s 95%.
It all has to do with the ball settling in before the launch occurs (ala Trooper ball loading) to make the autolauncher work as it should.
I bent those two forks six-ways-till-Sunday to get a consistent launch but so far it’s been fine with my last adjustment.
But, yeah.
I had everything from airball launches to super rattley dribblers, to medium post bricks with each tweak I did. Once I started figuring out where the consistent sweet spot was for my particular autolauncher, I then turned to the coil settings and fine tuned the rest with pitch and level.

Seems like a lot of time spent but it was probably only 25 minutes.

I spent more time dremel polishing the cheap-ass 360 Newton centering/resting plates and hex nub that sits on the spoon to get the smoothest action I could out of what Stern spec’d for the game. That, and adjusting/replacing switches.

Now that it’s in the rearview, I can relax, drink a few Troopers and wait for my dark blue T-molding (hold the mustard Gary ) and Flipper Fidelity kit to show up in the mail to call this game officially, “dialed.”

Quoted from MikeS:

Did they change the stock springs to orange now?

On my premium it was the stock spring. Build date was May 30th.

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

i did 3/4 but on this game it seems closer 13/16.

13/16 ShOuLd be the correct molding for these newer mostly metal Stern BBs.
3/4 was the right choice for the older “full wood” generation Stern heads.

Quoted from hoby1:

you will never notice that 1/32 on each side difference.

Oh, I wood...I most certainly wood.

Dark blue should compliment the dark blue stripes on the side of the head as well as the cab.

Why they decided to go full on French’s mustard yellow instead of this blue (or black even) for the premium, I have no f*<king idea.
63A153B9-501D-442D-86E2-CF45969A83E3 (resized).jpeg63A153B9-501D-442D-86E2-CF45969A83E3 (resized).jpegAD352B17-9B5B-4CBF-9942-814EAC6164A2 (resized).jpegAD352B17-9B5B-4CBF-9942-814EAC6164A2 (resized).jpeg

#376 5 years ago

Don’t forget replacing the crap factory speakers too!

Honestly Vino, it’s just going to be a game that you’ll have to babysit from time to time.
Especially with those 360 newtons.

Fytr pretty much summed up the usual Maiden LE/Prem maintenance in a nutshell with two posts 12 hours apart.
All right! Orb is good!
Oh noes! Orb is not good!

#384 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Oooooooooh I think you may be mistaken on that.

The proof is in the pudding.
Here’s the 3/4... (note the exposed wood AND black touch ups you’d need to do. )
FCD2AE31-3656-45CA-85F0-745723628C8C (resized).jpegFCD2AE31-3656-45CA-85F0-745723628C8C (resized).jpeg
And here’s the correct 13/16... ( no wood exposed and no overhang.)
2E3B0F3D-A019-4FC9-9998-2569A2828610 (resized).jpeg2E3B0F3D-A019-4FC9-9998-2569A2828610 (resized).jpeg

Here is the link to order:

https://www.t-molding.com/13-16in-blue-t-molding.html

To be fair to Hoby1,
Stern seems to use a different brand molding than the T-Molding.com variety.
The stock yellow stuff also had more of a matte finish and has slightly different pliability. (Seemed thinner.)
Stern’s 13/16 did indeed hang a bit more over the edge compared to this blue so I could see why most people would think to go with the 3/4 instead.
Hope these pics help empower folks to try different t-moldings on their newer Stern heads to colors that might suit what they’d want to do with possible armor powder coating down the road.
Have fun guys!

#392 5 years ago

I added the size differences in my above post but here’s the money shot of how much better the dark blue 13/16 matches the cab and head art, compared to the yellow.
4ED9859A-CF83-4E31-890F-88801EFB2BC1 (resized).jpeg4ED9859A-CF83-4E31-890F-88801EFB2BC1 (resized).jpeg

All done.
Bye bye yellow submarine.
E05126DD-F9CC-47E5-A1F9-946021A56961 (resized).jpegE05126DD-F9CC-47E5-A1F9-946021A56961 (resized).jpeg

#408 5 years ago

The blue is darker in person and doesn’t really detract from the art when it’s all lit up, but I can see black being the most popular option.
Red was out for me because I have SW pro sitting right next to it.
Chrome or gold would look too gaudy.
I went with what I though looked the best for the cab art and my armor won’t be black for too much longer anyway.
Plus,
It’s a really dark gameroom to begin with so the dark blue already looks pretty black when the lights are all off.

The reason why I added these posts to the issues thread Ice is because it was an “issue” to me that Stern chose a condiment trim to represent Iron effing Maiden in the first damn place.

Also, I think we’ve finally run out of things to fix on Maiden. Great job early adopters!

3 weeks later
#660 5 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

are the issues that bad where i should just screw it and get the pro?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Once you get familiar with the well documented premium fixes in this Maiden issues thread, those issues (you may or may not have,) will all melt away once you have your premium purring with all that extra KM(F!)E “Kinetic Satisfaction.”

Plus, it’s late enough now that if you ordered a premium today, you’ll most likely get a game that already has the new pointy hex posts with a dab of loctite for the 360 newtons and a properly adjusted/replaced upper switch for the sarcophagus.

My premium’s been playing swish this whole time once the initial fixes went in.
Don’t let your “fear of the dark” or, in this case “mad-basic-pin-tech-skillz”, hold you back on buying one of the greatest playing Sterns in modern history.

1 week later
#731 5 years ago

Man,
You’re really going to be bummed out to find that you should’ve soldered the new roller switch to replace the UPPER one, (by your fingers) and NOT the lower one...
Like so:
4B916C51-BB98-46A4-8C62-0243D998CC35 (resized).jpeg4B916C51-BB98-46A4-8C62-0243D998CC35 (resized).jpeg
The stock lower one works fine for the most part.

On the bright side, you can always adjust that stock flat upper switch when the sarcophagus is in the up position and completely assembled in game, if you don’t want to try a second attemp.

#733 5 years ago

It wasn’t the bottom switch.
The new flat upper switch is the culprit.
For some reason, they switched the switch after the first run of LE to what you and I have which is a flat switch instead of an angled switch that matched the lower one. (See Stern LE promo video to see what I mean...)
The flat upper switch needs more of a bow form to register the entrance rollover and eject/launch correctly. When the sarcophagus is flat, the switch will of course register fine. In the up position however...no dice!
The rollover switch in Russel’s above pic is the correct use of the roller.

Not saying you can’t use two rollers to solve your problem but, in my premium and others from the first run batches the lower switch was “usually” registering 100% AND the better choice for the captured ball to sit flush against the newton.

Like I said, you can manually make a bow in the flat one and re-adjust the switch after the tweak all in game without taking the mech apart again if the sarcophagus is in the up position.
Just listen closely to the click of the microswitch after using your leaf adjustment tool, to get a nice+sensitive response.
Otherwise you’ll end up with premature end game drains again.

Also,
Don’t forget to call for your free pointy hex posts for the 360 newtons while you have the hood open.

#735 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

you and DG_Amuse (whose post I was following) replaced opposite switches.

Yes. You are correct. My roller replacement is on the upper. (Like Russel’s)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/6#post-4434059

I’m pretty sure I’m typing in English, unless I’m super drunk and I don’t know it?

The new flat upper switch is/was the culprit on the premium. Too shallow to register the entrance and final launch hit.
If you look at your pic of DG’s upper switch, it is the earlier LE version/switch I was talking about. Different shape. More angled; matches the old lower one.

Either way DG said he replaced BOTH switches with rollers in the end so.........just do whatcha gotta do DML to get your game running 100%
Always make sure you’re not over torquing your black switch screws to the point where they are limiting the functionality of the switch.

Sacrifice a chicken if need be, or just call Stern to get a replacement mech so your wiring length can go back to factory tolerances if you don’t want to splice in new wire so you can try again.

2 weeks later
#809 5 years ago

It’s a flasher SB, not regular GI like the other two.
Your game is working just fine.

1 week later
#872 5 years ago

Eat a banana and use a longer allen wrench.
You can DO it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NimblePin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues?tu=NimblePin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.