4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #96 sarcophagus switch fix. Posted by DG_Amuse (5 years ago)

Post #434 Black t-moulding pictured to replace stock banana yellow. Posted by Strummy (5 years ago)

Post #597 Stern fix for Newton Ball issues on LE Posted by Fytr (5 years ago)

Post #887 Fix for fast balls not registering on upper loop Posted by PinNin (5 years ago)

Post #1039 Picture of factory fix for bad mummy newton ball on Prem/LE Posted by RA77 (5 years ago)

Post #1343 Fix for fast balls leaving wireforms Posted by Kevlar (5 years ago)

Post #1452 Shim method to get auto launch to work nearly 100% Posted by hank35 (5 years ago)

Post #1713 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Fix auto launch consistency with stronger coil Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 50.
#1 5 years ago

Just thought since I play this a lot coming across problems:

1) speakers on LE keep crackling , cutting out
Sound card replaced by Stern but nothing
Other fix ?

2) newton ball hits don’t register: adjust leaf switch and it’s fixed

3) game goes into ball search after ball ended but nothing happens
After 3 ball searches it finally ends the ball
Any tips ?

#2 5 years ago

3.) cold solder on trough opto board?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Other fix ?
Any tips ?

1. What is the volume at? What is the music attenuation at? Speech Attenuation level? Sounds like you're clipping the on-board amp.
2. Are you saying that it goes out of adjustment when you play it? And is it the hits with or without the captive ball?
3. Check the ball trough for all positions registering in switch test mode. Use "clear ball trough" in the diagnostics and watch the trough sensors on-screen as it cycles through balls.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Other fix ?
Any tips ?

Can't help on the first one, but I can on the third.

Stern's ball trough rollover switches can sometimes not register due to a sticky or stiff switch. Generally, a simple adjustment to the rollover leaf will allow the pressure of the ball to make more constant contact. This can show all the time, or more typically in a scenario where the ball slowly falls in the trough and doesn't have the inertia to activate the rollover. I would bet it is the last switch to the left in the trough. It is simple to get to. Worst case scenario, you could put in a new switch. Some of them just inherently have more resistance and require some adjustment. I had this same issue with my Walking Dead and it now functions just fine. Best of luck.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

1. What is the volume at? What is the music attenuation at? Speech Attenuation level? Sounds like you're clipping the on-board amp.
2. Are you saying that it goes out of adjustment when you play it? And is it the hits with or without the captive ball?
3. Check the ball trough for all positions registering in switch test mode. Use "clear ball trough" in the diagnostics and watch the trough sensors on-screen as it cycles through balls.

1) sound is set at 35, no other adjustments made then factory. The speakers (sound) makes crackling sound the whole time
The louder you go the more noticeable it gets

2) issue is fixed on mine but hear it from others so just wanted to post problems and fix

3) thanks , will check the switches
In the menu all looks great
It only does it ones so often

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

1) sound is set at 35, no other adjustments made then factory. The speakers (sound) makes crackling sound the whole time
The louder you go the more noticeable it gets
2) issue is fixed on mine but hear it from others so just wanted to post problems and fix
3) thanks , will check the switches
In the menu all looks great
It only does it ones so often

That's pretty loud. If you want to rock out, I'd suggest using the line-level L/R output on the Spike2 board into an external mini-amplifier that can handle the sound at that level without breaking a sweat. You don't have to break the bank. One of the $30 ones like in Houdini would work fine.

Amazon has it here for $26.30:
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PFA300-90-Watt-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B0071HZ5LE

#7 5 years ago

Your #2 issue is happening to me. This unusual switch mechanism is just poorly designed. It has to be very tightly gapped to work, if it is slightly too loose or slightly too tight, it doesn’t register. I have had to adjust mine several times. Even if you have it correctly gapped, with a second ball present, sometimes direct hits don’t register. You need to hit it with a glancing blow to consistently register hits. I suspect Stern will need to come up with a fix for this. Or perhaps someone in the community will come up with something.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Stern's ball trough rollover switches can sometimes not register due to a sticky or stiff switch. Generally, a simple adjustment to the rollover leaf will allow the pressure of the ball to make more constant contact. This can show all the time, or more typically in a scenario where the ball slowly falls in the trough and doesn't have the inertia to activate the rollover. I would bet it is the last switch to the left in the trough. It is simple to get to. Worst case scenario, you could put in a new switch. Some of them just inherently have more resistance and require some adjustment. I had this same issue with my Walking Dead and it now functions just fine. Best of luck.

I think the newest sterns use optos. At least my SW does.

#9 5 years ago

Well, game starts up normal without saying ball missing but with tech alert it says 1 ball missing
Next will open the playfield and look for missing ball ? Weird !!

EB7B0D8E-DB42-4510-89E7-F9975745456C (resized).jpegEB7B0D8E-DB42-4510-89E7-F9975745456C (resized).jpeg

18CBFCCC-B8E9-4DCA-A955-794C27BDFC30 (resized).jpeg18CBFCCC-B8E9-4DCA-A955-794C27BDFC30 (resized).jpeg

#10 5 years ago

In the first picture, it looks like you have a ball stuck on the plastic to the right of the center ramp. I’ve had balls stick there also.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Well, game starts up normal without saying ball missing but with tech alert it says 1 ball missing
Next will open the playfield and look for missing ball ? Weird !!

If you clear the captive ball, does that take the alert away?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Your #2 issue is happening to me. This unusual switch mechanism is just poorly designed. It has to be very tightly gapped to work, if it is slightly too loose or slightly too tight, it doesn’t register. I have had to adjust mine several times. Even if you have it correctly gapped, with a second ball present, sometimes direct hits don’t register. You need to hit it with a glancing blow to consistently register hits. I suspect Stern will need to come up with a fix for this. Or perhaps someone in the community will come up with something.

Horribly designed switch. I think I have mine finally tweaked just right for now but man that thing is flaky

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's pretty loud. If you want to rock out, I'd suggest using the line-level L/R output on the Spike2 board into an external mini-amplifier that can handle the sound at that level without breaking a sweat. You don't have to break the bank. One of the $30 ones like in Houdini would work fine.
Amazon has it here for $26.30:
amazon.com link »

This sounds like a great solution for you, RVDV. I mean, reading the Amazon description, this line alone makes it awesome and perfect for you:

"Party Machine

Create a karaoke session and let the fun begin. Use the mic and aux inputs to add life to the party."

ADD A CLIP ON MICROPHONE AND SING ALONG WITH YOUR IRON MAIDEN AS YOU PLAY!!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Horribly designed switch. I think I have mine finally tweaked just right for now but man that thing is flaky

Hmm. Knowing what you LE owners know, what version would you recommend to those of us considering Pro or Premium?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Hmm. Knowing what you LE owners know, what version would you recommend to those of us considering Pro or Premium?

Helped unbox a friend's LE and the sarcophagus mech was misadjusted out of the box. One of the switches wouldn't register, and it's nearly impossible to access. That whole mech concerns me, and the code couldn't compensate for any of the issues that came up with it.

#16 5 years ago

The initial plan for the route was get a Pro, then replace it with a Premium, but the LE/Prem playfield upgrades are underwhelming and the mechs seem fussy and not really "cool", so the Pro is staying and the Premium was cancelled.

If they had kept the varitarget and the lower scoop/subway, it would be a different story. Much more "cool factor" in a vari-target.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Much more "cool factory" in a vari-target.

Yeah Vari would have been kick ass.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

In the first picture, it looks like you have a ball stuck on the plastic to the right of the center ramp. I’ve had balls stick there also.

Happens on every IMDN I've played sad enough.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Quoted from GravitaR:

I see that too now that you pointed it out ....... sure does look like a stuck ball there

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Well that's just great. Never happened on mine, but now that I'm aware of it it's going to happen all the time...like losing a ball down the sewer drain!

#21 5 years ago

Honestly, I think the rational answer is a pro.

I like the extra features but I could live without them.

#22 5 years ago

Lots of complaints about the switch used for the Mummy captive ball.

I brought the bad design up first and got ridiculed by Chambahz and Flynn because it's 'a design used for poppers for 60 years' or whatever

Great, maybe they should only use them on the poppers then because they don't work well on this game

To top it off, my motorized ramp flap took a shit again after rebuilding it.

Now Stern has to send me an entirely new ramp assembly... Awesome. Fun game but super unreliable thus far. Every game I play I wonder what will go out of adjustment or just stop working.

#23 5 years ago

I’ve had a ball get trapped behind Sarc a few times if it travels at a certain speed I think

Goes into ball search. Have to poke it out of there.

Good news is you have time to replace the glass and lockdown bar before you lose it!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Lots of complaints about the switch used for the Mummy captive ball.
I brought the bad design up first and got ridiculed by Chambahz and Flynn because it's 'a design used for poppers for 60 years' or whatever
Great, maybe they should only use them on the poppers then because they don't work well on this game
To top it off, my motorized ramp flap took a shit again after rebuilding it.
Now Stern has to send me an entirely new ramp assembly... Awesome. Fun game but super unreliable thus far. Every game I play I wonder what will go out of adjustment or just stop working.

I assume the Mummy switch is similar to Orb switch?

Haven’t had an issue with that one yet

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I assume the Mummy switch is similar to Orb switch?
Haven’t had an issue with that one yet

Yeah, its the same one. I got it to work, but there are times it doesn't register. Not as bad as the ramp flap getting stuck in the open position though. Hopefully I can get that fixed quickly.

#26 5 years ago

Is the ball supposed to stop at the clear window before dropping into sarcophagus? I think it is. Mine is fine until, of course, the third ball drops. And misses. On a good game.
Guess I'll have to try again. Woe is me.

#27 5 years ago

What !!! Can't you call Stern and have them send out a tech and fix it.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

What !!! Can't you call Stern and have them send out a tech and fix it.

IMG_0100 (resized).JPGIMG_0100 (resized).JPG

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

At the moment it's possible to buy 2 pro's for the same price as an LE!!

#30 5 years ago

Got a total mystery on my hands
6 balls went in the game
Only 5 left ?

Nothing on top of the playfield or under??

0749F1D8-693D-4F03-868A-3C2BE3B49A94 (resized).jpeg0749F1D8-693D-4F03-868A-3C2BE3B49A94 (resized).jpeg

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

6 balls went in the game
Only 5 left ?

So it's not on the right plastic like 10 people have been saying?

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So it's not on the right plastic like 10 people have been saying?

That looks like the spotlight hood to me.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

6 balls went in the game
Only 5 left ?

Check:
Under the ramp?
Behind the backboard (stuck in wiring)?
Between the left ramp exit and the sarcophagus entry?
Behind the rubber inside the slingshots?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

6 balls went in the game
Only 5 left ?

I'm willing to bet it's in the sarcophagus mech.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That looks like the spotlight hood to me.

I was thinking that too, but then I saw what I think they are talking about:

EDITED: My guess was wrong....and I now see what I was looking at was the opto on the outside of the ramp.

ball (resized).jpgball (resized).jpg

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

6 balls went in the game
Only 5 left ?

Are you sure you don't have Houdini??

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I already suggested that in post 11. The fact that it's still lost seems to indicate it's not stuck there.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

You are the winner !!

056E485D-9672-4CFF-8294-FC26963A5218 (resized).jpeg056E485D-9672-4CFF-8294-FC26963A5218 (resized).jpeg

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

You are the winner !!

Haha. Could have saved 26 posts by checking it earlier!

So, likely the switch in there is not registering properly so it doesn't know the ball is in there.

#40 5 years ago

In ball search this ball does not kick out
With the eye you can’t see it

So if you missing a ball shoot/roll another ball in there and hope both come out
If not go to coil test and keep opening it till ball rolls ou

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

You are the winner !!

Come on man!

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

In ball search this ball does not kick out
With the eye you can’t see it
So if you missing a ball shoot/roll another ball in there and hope both come out
If not go to coil test and keep opening it till ball rolls ou

But if the switch in there is registering, it will know where the ball is and not report it as missing.

#43 5 years ago

The winner gets to wash my car

#44 5 years ago

Wasn’t visible there in the initial pics...? Glad you tracked it down.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Had the same issue with my AC DC Vault Premium. Replaced two of the stiff switches after trying to adjust them. The stiffness just caused the blade to bend more, each time I adjusted it. Ordered 6 new switches and chose the softest two. No more problems

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

The winner gets to wash my car

LOLLL

Glad you found it !!!

#47 5 years ago

Sometimes my game seems to lose count of the number of balls. Typically, it will be in Mummy MB, when the second-to-last ball drains, it kills the flipper and counts bonus. I need to pay closer attention to the precise scenario when this happens, but has anyone else experienced this?

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Actually I’ll change my opinion

I would want all of the features of this pin it’s that good

It’s addictive like TWD. Maybe more so

Get the premium

#49 5 years ago

So....what is the fix on the crackling sound ? My pro does that along with my AS pro. My GB prem does that at high volumes as well , what gives man ? Does Stern build there games that they cant handle their own power at high volumes and causes the amp to get overloaded and start clipping on and off ?

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Actually I’ll change my opinion
I would want all of the features of this pin it’s that good
It’s addictive like TWD. Maybe more so
Get the premium

I'm not sure your first opinion isn't correct as the Premium doesn't pencil out $$ wise for the added features and it has the least appealing artwork, imo. That being said, if I liked the art I'd still buy a Premium because this game is so cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues?hl=tbachli and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.