1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 2,169 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by vireland
  • Topic is favorited by 130 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 276 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191026_121732 (resized).jpg
AE80355F-5C88-4F47-ACF9-CD1947559B71 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpg
C4C11B34-E040-48CA-92DC-99801E773D7D (resized).jpeg
IM right ramp fix (resized).jpg
IMG_2220 (resized).JPG
IMG_2219 (resized).JPG
IMG_2218 (resized).JPG
newton-ball-unscrew (resized).jpg
7728A7C8-BFD1-44AB-83AB-91CB1B9128EB (resized).jpeg
A24B7A39-59AD-45C4-8CA2-27C135D501F3 (resized).png
MVIMG_20190818_220245 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_9941 (resized).jpg
IMG_9939 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190817_233035 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2169 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 44.
#201 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

There's an adjustable post behind that flipper (under the plastic). I'd also play around with your playfield pitch. I have mine set steep (7.5) and the autoplunge works better the steeper it is set.-at least on my game.

Yep mine's at 7.3 and everything works great.....gameplay is brutal and fast also

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from Russell:

Received and installed these tonight. Lots of unscrewing, a little soldering & shrink tubing, took me about 45 minutes. (Getting good at this!?!). Good news is, these switches seem to work much more consistently. However, the bad news is that the little roller ball will not always allow the captive ball to pass over it. You can’t knock the ball back very far, and when the ball save happens and the sarcophagus lock lowers, the ball hangs up on the switches. I’m hoping this is just a matter of getting back in there and adjusting the arm of the switches a bit lower. I currently have the rollers facing down the playfield. I wonder if perhaps the upper one should be reversed (similar to how the game shipped.) I will try again tomorrow, irritated how hard it is to get to these switches to adjust.

I'd suggest putting the switches in the same way they are factory, which I *think* is at either end of the trough channel. It may be that the height issue you're seeing will simply go away if that switch is reversed. Adjusting these for height can be a bit tricky so I'd do the direction swap first and see if that sorts it out.

If you do need to adjust the switch it's important to keep the blade over the microswitch straight (as is) so it strikes it cleanly, and only bend the end part of the switch blade up or down. Basically put a little elbow in it past the microswitch section.

Looking at the factory switches in that trough (one of which on mine has never worked since I got it - too low, tried to adjust it last night, now it traps the ball *sigh*) you wonder what they were thinking. We have switches that work great for troughs, use them Stern!

Not much fun when these malfunction, game get's confused about # of balls in play and kills the flippers and ends your ball when you still have one in play.

#203 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here is what I'd try. So I pulled the Sarcophagus mech and adjusted the switches so we will see what happens when i fire it up again.
There was a screw that was missing from the mech and left the metal arm dangling too.
The captive ball can be adjusted a bit itself. Not just the switch. Back off the screw that taps the white cap to generate more contact.
If that doesn't work pull the entire captive ball and reseat it. Maybe the spring is F ed up itself and needs to be adjusted.

I tried another adjustment on mine last night. Afterwards, in the course of about 3 games, it went from working when hit, to firing when the closest pop bumper did, to firing continuously with flippers.

My captive ball mech sort of feels off when you push it off center, sometimes it will stick off centre. The one in front of the sarcophagus doesn't feel that way, it's smooth and always returns to center. Maybe the spring is messed up or install wrong. I'm going to remove it today and have a look.

#204 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I tried another adjustment on mine last night. Afterwards, in the course of about 3 games, it went from working when hit, to firing when the closest pop bumper did, to firing continuously with flippers.
My captive ball mech sort of feels off when you push it off center, sometimes it will stick off centre. The one in front of the sarcophagus doesn't feel that way, it's smooth and always returns to center. Maybe the spring is messed up or install wrong. I'm going to remove it today and have a look.

Mine had this same sticking problem. I just lubricated the mech, and it stopped sticking.

#205 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep mine's at 7.3 and everything works great.....gameplay is brutal and fast also

I'd have to imagine most of the play testing at the Stern factory (given the level of players) is at a higher pitch than 6.5 degrees. I've played the game at 6.5 and it's too easy to hit that center ramp shot. I like that it's a challenge when set at a higher pitch.

#206 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'd have to imagine most of the play testing at the Stern factory (given the level of players) is at a higher pitch than 6.5 degrees. I've played the game at 6.5 and it's too easy to hit that center ramp shot. I like that it's a challenge when set at a higher pitch.

Agreed .. guy i bought it from had it 6.5 and we had long long ball times and it was floaty and easy.

#207 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

The way those captive balls screw in there you can adjust it a little bit to allow some more give in the movement. I had to do the exact same thing, works great now.

Spring might be binding or the ball just needs a little relief as its too tight. Back off the screws a bit.

I was too impatient Russell so i don't have the new switches yet to install. I'll wait for these to go down again.

#208 1 year ago

Well I had previously fixed my sarcophagus ball registering by adjusting the switch and making sure the cup was aligned properly. A few days later its back to not working again... damn this is getting frustrating. I may try to loosen the spring that iceman mentioned and see how that works.

#209 1 year ago

I've also been dealing with some problems on my Shooter as well.
First 10 games or so I could hit the skill shot, and could also launch the ball around the back orbit in an attempt to make the Super Skill Shot.
However the more I played, I noticed that plunging the ball the ball would even have enough power to hit the skill shot target. However, the auto launch
launches the ball fine through the orbit and loading balls for Trooper Multi-ball. Since the auto launcher could make the loop without issue that lead me to believe the this was a plunger issue and didn't have anything to do with the auto launcher or adjustment to the lane guide.

Turns out my problem was the shooter was not aligned properly and wasn't hitting the ball dead on in the center. Think of it like hitting a cue ball with a pool stick and hitting it on the right side of the ball. Also the shooter wasn't making good contact with the ball.

What I did to fix this issue was I removed one of the washers on the outside of the shooter rod near the small shooter spring. This now brought the shooter rod 1/16" closer to the ball. I also realigned my shooter rod over by loosing the housing and re-tightening it so the shooter rod is striking the ball dead in the center.

So far so good as of last night after doing this.

#210 1 year ago
Quoted from jefryan:

Well I had previously fixed my sarcophagus ball registering by adjusting the switch and making sure the cup was aligned properly. A few days later its back to not working again... damn this is getting frustrating. I may try to loosen the spring that iceman mentioned and see how that works.

Try unscrewing that metal post that taps the cup a little bit to have it make better contact. Worked for me

#211 1 year ago

Are the premiums just as glitchy as the LEs? LEs shipped first. Premiums shipped last. Maybe Stern implemented some fixes? Wishful thinking?

#212 1 year ago

I'd say too early to make a difference... but you never know. The sub-assembleys may have been made a while ago.

#213 1 year ago

Has anyone had the right lower flipper going dead randomly? Seems good sometimes and others not. The leaf switches are making connection as they should be.

#214 1 year ago
Quoted from Bantam:

Has anyone had the right lower flipper going dead randomly? Seems good sometimes and others not. The leaf switches are making connection as they should be.

Going dead meaning that goes limp when the ball hits it? Check your end of stroke switch and make sure they didn't install it backwards. I have seen this on NIB games before.

#215 1 year ago

Even before the ball hits it. It won’t even scrolll through the menu when it’s dead

#216 1 year ago

It might be an adjustment with the end of stroke switch. I’ll google how to adjust properly. Thank you!

#217 1 year ago

I’m about to buy a Premium but I’m getting a bit worried. It seems that they are rushing these out the door a little too quickly and not testing them very well. Should I wait a little while to let the get their act together?

#218 1 year ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I’m about to buy a Premium but I’m getting a bit worried. It seems that they are rushing these out the door a little too quickly and not testing them very well. Should I wait a little while to let the get their act together?

It's a phenomenal pin. The Sarcophagus mech is crap.

#219 1 year ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Maybe, but then you'd be rolling the dice that anything will change/improve by waiting.

Quoted from iceman44:

It's a phenomenal pin. The Sarcophagus mech is crap.

Perhaps not counting on Stern to do it, but surely someone will figure out a way to improve this?

#220 1 year ago

Damn, what do the buyers without Pinside do to fix their games? Stern phone is going to be ringing!

#221 1 year ago

I actually think I have the bugs worked out after 4 days of tweaking. I know things will need adjustments in the future they also do. But I played my Prem for two straight hours with no issue. We were sold on an Iron Maiden when we first played a pro at Pinball Life while picking up goodies in April. We usually go with pros in these later Sterns when they started the three levels of a table. With this one I could not see having a pro (for home use anyway) the added features give the game much more depth imho. I turned the back box lighting to 10% for game play and what a difference. Someone earlier posted that he thought one of his post lights were on all the time but was not sure. If you dial the back box lighting you can tell easily.

#222 1 year ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Same boat - I am waiting longer to see if Stern makes some adjustments - otherwise may downshift to Pro. I don't want to be constantly battling these issues and have to keep making adjustments. These sound like more design/cheaper parts oriented and possibly longer term rather than a one and done issue (like when my DI had loud static - distro got me a ground loop isolator - problem permanently solved).

Really appreciate everyone sharing their awesome knowledge on the issues and fixes - nice to have road maps if I say F it and order the Premium

#223 1 year ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Just my opinion but I've never seen upgrades to items other then software. Pinsiders have been my bread and butter when it comes to help and assistance with step by step instructions to fix our pins. If you look in our game history all those pins went out our door 100%. They did not always come in the way. I've never had a pin tech to our home. All was done thanks to our Pinside Community.

#224 1 year ago

As far as Stern handling some issue..we got our Prem on Tuesday...I immediately noticed the cabinet speaker was defective. I got with Stern the next day..my new CPU is in the mail to swap out.

#225 1 year ago

So, while I finally fixed most of my issues - I have a new one and it's frustrating.

Sometimes when hitting the Underworld shot, the game will go into ball search mode.

Literally, the ball in play disappears.

I have to pop the glass, and when I barely lift the playfield - the ball will drop into the cabinet. This has happened 3-4X times. It's the strangest thing... Has this happened to anyone else???

#226 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

So, while I finally fixed most of my issues - I have a new one and it's frustrating.
Sometimes when hitting the Underworld shot, the game will go into ball search mode.
Literally, the ball in play disappears.
I have to pop the glass, and when I barely lift the playfield - the ball will drop into the cabinet. This has happened 3-4X times. It's the strangest thing... Has this happened to anyone else???

A couple games in the past have had gaps in the subways that allow a ball to pass thru and into the cabinet and needed to be modified. Other times the subways were just loose and balls escape.

#227 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

So, I think I sorted the auto-plunge issue where it hits the post.

For anyone else struggling this is what seemed to work.

7 degree pitch.

Photos of adjustment screw. Had to take off other screws - see pics. And removed right ramp to take off plastics underneath. Then move the metal as near to the post as possible.

At the moment 90% plus success rate.

Manual plunge. Sometimes doesn't work. If I twist the plunger, it then works. I think plunger may be ever so slightly warped.

Will try my Candy shooter rod later to see if I can get manual to over 90% as well.

Phew! And no bending was needed.
IMG_3111 (resized).jpgIMG_3112 (resized).jpgIMG_3113 (resized).jpg

#228 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, I think I sorted the auto-plunge issue where it hits the post.
For anyone else struggling this is what seemed to work.
7 degree pitch.
Photos of adjustment screw. Had to take off other screws - see pics. And removed right ramp to take off plastics underneath. Then move the metal as near to the post as possible.
At the moment 90% plus success rate.
Manual plunge. Sometimes doesn't work. If I twist the plunger, it then works. I think plunger may be ever so slightly warped.
Will try my Candy shooter rod later to see if I can get manual to over 90% as well.
Phew! And no bending was needed.

Warped shooter rod highly unlikely. More likely your shooter tip isnt on straight, or your shooter rod isnt centeted.

#229 1 year ago

If you are having manual plunger issues, one thing to check is to be sure you have the correct strength inner spring installed. Mine had a green inner spring, and the manual calls for an orange spring. FYI, an orange colored spring is stronger than a green one.

#230 1 year ago

Your shooter rod tip needs to be centered on the ball side to side and vertically.

#231 1 year ago
Quoted from Rhlufa:

As far as Stern handling some issue..we got our Prem on Tuesday...I immediately noticed the cabinet speaker was defective. I got with Stern the next day..my new CPU is in the mail to swap out.

Not sure what you mean by defective, by on my LE I noticed with stock settings that the cab speaker sounded terrible. If you go into the Util setting for Volume you can adjust the bass and treble going to the cab speaker specifically. Try reducing the treble down to basically zero, since this is a sub speaker and not supposed to be producing any highs. This fixed it for me.

#232 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Try unscrewing that metal post that taps the cup a little bit to have it make better contact. Worked for me

Okay, took my Orb captive ball apart yesterday and found that if I tightened the retaining ring that holds the spring a little bit tighter I could make a bit more space between it and the outer retaining ring, which allows the captive ball to tilt more freely without binding on the outer ring. This makes it feel more smooth like my sarcophagus one does. I also lubed the metal on metal part with some synthetic grease.

However, the only thing that made the actual switch work reliably without mis-firing was to unscrew the metal bottom post that touches the plastic spoon about two full rotations to give it a little more length (as you noted). This increases the leverage that the tilting ball can apply to to the spoon. Mine was really loose though and vibrations from firing coils would make it keep turning so I applied some locktight to the threads and let it dry. After a bunch of games last night it continues to work perfectly, we'll see if it holds up.

So it would seem that Stern should either use a slightly longer bottom post or a slightly shorter bracket for the switch/spoon mech.

Now my sarcophagus captive ball fires perfectly when it's empty, but not at all if a ball is loaded in it. I'm thinking that the sw must register a hit if the top switch in the trough is closed by the second ball since the front ball doesn't move at all but simply transfers all the energy to the second ball? I need to test this to see if it's that case. I've been having trouble getting that switch adjusted to actually work and so for no luck. I guess I'll order the roller style switches as well. This seems like a really common problem with this mech, you think Stern will issue a service bulletin?

#233 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Not sure what you mean by defective, by on my LE I noticed with stock settings that the cab speaker sounded terrible. If you go into the Util setting for Volume you can adjust the bass and treble going to the cab speaker specifically. Try reducing the treble down to basically zero, since this is a sub speaker and not supposed to be producing any highs. This fixed it for me.

Actually its not a sub and is just a woofer ... supposed to produce sone voice .

#234 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Actually its not a sub and is just a woofer ... supposed to produce sone voice .

Sorry, that’s what I meant.

#235 1 year ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I have a Premium coming Tuesday. I doubt much will change @ Stern, but hopefully they will issue some bulletins to address some of the issues? Seems like tweaks/adjustments have become an expected part of the new pin buying experience. I'm still tweaking my SWLE to play the way I want (and DILE took 1 month to Dial In).

For experienced hobbyists it's no big deal. For newbies, I'm sure it more traumatic

snaroff

#236 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Your shooter rod tip needs to be centered on the ball side to side and vertically.

I completely forgot that this could also be an issue.

Anyway probably got 90% on manual and auto plunge and that is good enough.

Next thing I notice is that flippers are quite different to my AC/DC.

On bounce passes they just seem to wobble more?

Is this a Spike 2 flipper thing?

Power is fine.

#237 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Now my sarcophagus captive ball fires perfectly when it's empty, but not at all if a ball is loaded in it. I'm thinking that the sw must register a hit if the top switch in the trough is closed by the second ball since the front ball doesn't move at all but simply transfers all the energy to the second ball? I need to test this to see if it's that case. I've been having trouble getting that switch adjusted to actually work and so for no luck. I guess I'll order the roller style switches as well. This seems like a really common problem with this mech, you think Stern will issue a service bulletin?

Def a longer post would help solve the captive ball issues.

I've experienced the same thing but seems to correct itself during the game when the mech lowers. I don't think the mech stays in the right position after the first ball enters the lock.

I've had the second and third balls get stuck at the top of the mech because they won't drop in there due to the wrong positioning?

I'm calling distro tech in am to see if they and/or Stern have dealt with that issue.

At least its playable right now although not perfect!

My guess is they will want to send me a new mech.

As for KPG's underworld issue i'd think the captive area is loose and just missing balls. I initially had a missing screw which totally F ed up the Sarco mech first.

#238 1 year ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

So I found out my answer after investigating further. The lower support on this wireform is wielded too high some how. It acts like a very small speed bump and causes my balls to hop over either rail probably 1 out of 3 returns, maybe more. On my last game the ball actually got stuck on it during multiball and it took a vigorous shake to dislodge it. I’ve lost plenty of balls hopping right over and into the outlane.
This was my previous attempt to corral the ball. It worked pretty well but created a bounce back effect at times.

I know a couple of you had similar, frequent issues. This might be the thing to look for. (I tried bending to correct with no luck)

Had this happen a few times while testing the game.

Thinking maybe add a washer to raise the height of the ramp?

#239 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

For experienced hobbyists it's no big deal. For newbies, I'm sure it more traumatic
snaroff

Totally agree. For those holding back on a purchase due to switch issues, I wouldn't bother. Is this pin a little more finicky? For sure, but you'll learn a lot more about switch adjustment and shooter rod positioning. You need to know this stuff, even for w/b machines. I don't mind tweaking at all as I've done so much of it over the years. This game will get thrown out of whack during shipping, almost guaranteed. My only complaint is having to reinforce the cabinet... Oh, stern....

#240 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Had this happen a few times while testing the game.
Thinking maybe add a washer to raise the height of the ramp?

So, I added a washer here.

Much much better. So far, haven't had a ball jump off the ramp.

Hopefully that may be enough......

IMG_3115 (resized).jpg
#241 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

...Now my sarcophagus captive ball fires perfectly when it's empty, but not at all if a ball is loaded in it. I'm thinking that the sw must register a hit if the top switch in the trough is closed by the second ball since the front ball doesn't move at all but simply transfers all the energy to the second ball? I need to test this to see if it's that case. I've been having trouble getting that switch adjusted to actually work and so for no luck. I guess I'll order the roller style switches as well. This seems like a really common problem with this mech, you think Stern will issue a service bulletin?

Pulled the sarcophagus mech off, the upper switch (captive ball hit) was far too stiff, the ball would get stuck on top of the blade and still not depress it. My bottom switch was far easier to activate. My TNA used the same switches in the trough and had the same problems, these are a poor design and/or not being manufactured to spec consistently. So zero for 2 on NIB games not working this year because of these cruddy switches.

I had an old Williams style microswitch and was able to bend a different shaped blade/arm to mostly match the original switches shape. The new one activates with a feather touch.

Put everything back together and for the first time since I unboxed it my game is sensing captive ball hits with the mech loaded and functioning properly.

Unfortunately, this is probably not something a casual player without experience fixing games is going to want to tackle.

#242 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Pulled the sarcophagus mech off, the upper switch (captive ball hit) was far too stiff, the ball would get stuck on top of the blade and still not depress it. My bottom switch was far easier to activate. My TNA used the same switches in the trough and had the same problems, these are a poor design and/or not being manufactured to spec consistently. So zero for 2 on NIB games not working this year because of these cruddy switches.

Exactly, I mistakenly F ed with my top switch when i had it pulled out, despite working fine, it was the lower one that was causing me all the problems initially! Just another tweak.

For new buyers, I wouldn't be concerned, its a great pin, despite having to deal with some finicky BS.

#243 1 year ago

If your ramp has a weld "bump" causing the ball to jump over I'd recommend contacting your dizzy or stern to get a replacement.

#244 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

If your ramp has a weld "bump" causing the ball to jump over I'd recommend contacting your dizzy or stern to get a replacement.

The mech doesn’t raise up on ball 2 lock to collect it

Works fine on ball one

Distro and Chas have email waiting for them

#245 1 year ago
Quoted from Rhlufa:

st my opinion but I've never seen upgrades to items other then software

Slimer mech was changed for instance.

Stern does rev hardware... and does send out parts when pushed.

It happens - just when really necessary

#246 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Still gathering parts. Just found out today that the post spacing on the backbox speaker is too small for 5.25" speakers on the Pro. It looks like the Premium is using a different drop-in plate with different post spacing for the speakers. I'll need to solve that problem.
But yes, I plan to do a step-by-step upgrade with an external amp and new, better speakers on a Pro. Most of the info should apply to the Prem/LE, too.

How is this coming Vireland? Would love to see the parts needed to get line-out from the CPU board, and confirmation on what pins to use on which connector. Which are you using? CN3? CN5? Really strange that neither list ground pins (photo attached).

The Premium uses the same speakers as the Pro, by the way, they both have 4" speakers in the head. Only the LE uses the bigger 5.25" ones.

Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 2.36.42 PM (resized).png
#247 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The mech doesn’t raise up on ball 2 lock to collect it
Works fine on ball one
Distro and Chas have email waiting for them

Sometimes when I shoot sarcophagus the ball comes down off little ramp in back and just drops on top of the plastic then off to the left upper flipper. That’s not correct is it?

#248 1 year ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Sometimes when I shoot sarcophagus the ball comes down off little ramp in back and just drops on top of the plastic then off to the left upper flipper. That’s not correct is it?

I’m pretty sure it only holds one ball, then becomes a virtual lock and the ball rolls off to the left upper flipper.

#249 1 year ago
Quoted from andre060:

More
How is this coming Vireland? Would love to see the parts needed to get line-out from the CPU board, and confirmation on what pins to use on which connector. Which are you using? CN3? CN5? Really strange that neither list ground pins (photo attached).
The Premium uses the same speakers as the Pro, by the way, they both have 4" speakers in the head. Only the LE uses the bigger 5.25" ones.

I'm using CN5, theoretically. Have all those connectors now to make the adapter (and the speakers, and the amp), but haven't yet because I got hung up on the standoffs for the speakers being different. Working on seeing if I can get an LE-type speaker plate from Stern parts or if I have to make my own.

#250 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I’m pretty sure it only holds one ball, then becomes a virtual lock and the ball rolls off to the left upper flipper.

Gotcha. That’s good news. What’s the fix for when the game doesn’t recognize a ball waiting behind the plastic for a sarcophagus Lock?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 74.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk
There are 2169 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 44.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside