4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 50.
#2301 3 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

Thanks for the reply and help. I went into test mode and its a no go for both, they didnt respond at all to moving. I also check the board and everything seems to be connected and the board is getting the 48V. Not sure what to check next. It's odd that both do not work. I'm assuming this is the test mode to check the motor? [quoted image]

Yeah that's the right test. I'd follow all the cables coming off the 9c node board back to where they came from and re-plug them at the source side. Did you re-plug all the cables or just look at them? Unplugging and re-plugging may show up loose wires that aren't properly clicked into their connector, but look okay.

Check Node board 9b to make sure that the connector at CN2 on it is completely plugged in. That's the one that sends serial commands to the 9C node board.

Here's what the connectors look like on my node 9c. Compare with yours to make sure everything's plugged the right way and the wire colors are right...

Serial Motor Driver Board Node 9c Stern PN 520-6996-00
node board 9c_reducedl (resized).jpgnode board 9c_reducedl (resized).jpg

Also, if you have a Jurassic Park Prem/LE you can "borrow" the same board off that machine to test it in your Iron Maiden. It's on the back panel of JP2.

#2302 3 years ago

So I check both Node 9b and c and unplugged and replugged everything and still nothing unfortunately. I also took pictures of my board and the two motors for the Guardian Diverter and Sarcophagus. Thanks again for the help.

20200516_224447 (resized).jpg20200516_224447 (resized).jpg20200516_224052 (resized).jpg20200516_224052 (resized).jpg20200516_223320 (resized).jpg20200516_223320 (resized).jpg
#2303 3 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

So I check both Node 9b and c and unplugged and replugged everything and still nothing unfortunately. I also took pictures of my board and the two motors for the Guardian Diverter and Sarcophagus. Thanks again for the help.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It looks to me like that chip at U3 on your Motor Control Board is blown out. Look at the metal showing - like the chip casing was blown off. Here's a comparison of your chip at U3 on the left to mine on the right.
U3_Comparison (resized).jpgU3_Comparison (resized).jpg

The traces on your board on the left are really ugly, like they were reworked, too.

I'd email Chas at Stern and describe your issue. Send him the comparison picture here, too. It seems like your board is bad.

#2304 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It looks to me like that chip at U3 on your Motor Control Board is blown out. Look at the metal showing - like the chip casing was blown off. Here's a comparison of your chip at U3 on the left to mine on the right.
[quoted image]
The traces on your board on the left are really ugly, like they were reworked, too.
I'd email Chas at Stern and describe your issue. Send him the comparison picture here, too. It seems like your board is bad.

Ok, will do. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

#2305 3 years ago

I've had this pin now since Christmas and have had a few issues.

This is my first machine, so I didn't really know why there was a pile of brass shavings underneath the main flippers. I can attest that the coil stops that came stock kind of suck. Replaced all four flippers.

Early on, my machine would do the auto-launch at the beginning of a ball. I traced that down to a bulls eye target leaf switch that needed to be adjusted a little bit.

I had also been having the auto-launch issue that has been discussed here ad nauseam. My ball was consistently hitting the upper flipper, but would go around if I did a full manual pull. It seemed that I just needed a little more umph from the auto-launcher. I was getting ready to order to more beefy coil that had been mentioned a while back, but I thought I'd try cleaning my machine first. I had never done any real cleaning other than wiping with an old dry t-shirt rag.

After vacuuming, wiping the playfield down with naptha, waxing with blitz wax, and replacing the balls with new ones, my balls were coming out so fast that they were now hitting the post below the flipper! Previously I had adjusted the ball launch guide all the way "down" in an attempt to steer it away from the flipper, but now I have it set about mid-way. I've even reduced my auto-launch strength down to 200! I haven't counted but I'd estimate at least a 95% success rate on the auto-launch. I suppose we'll see how long that lasts.

Also, while I was cleaning, I removed the apron and the metal backing plate that directs the balls into the trough. I was able to really clean out the trough. There was a TON of caked on dirt that the balls would pick up every time they made their way down the trough. Ever since I cleaned that, the ball trails have stopped for the most part. Totally worth cleaning.

Now the game plays fast and everything seems to be working (that I know of) with the exception of one thing. The power ramps light near the right ramp flickers occasionally (when it is supposed to be off). Anyone else have this minor, but annoying issue?

flash.gifflash.gif
#2306 3 years ago
Quoted from pavelump:

This is my first machine, so I didn't really know why there was a pile of brass shavings underneath the main flippers. I can attest that the coil stops that came stock kind of suck. Replaced all four flippers.
Early on, my machine would do the auto-launch at the beginning of a ball. I traced that down to a bulls eye target leaf switch that needed to be adjusted a little bit.
I had also been having the auto-launch issue that has been discussed here ad nauseam. My ball was consistently hitting the upper flipper, but would go around if I did a full manual pull. It seemed that I just needed a little more umph from the auto-launcher. I was getting ready to order to more beefy coil that had been mentioned a while back, but I thought I'd try cleaning my machine first. I had never done any real cleaning other than wiping with an old dry t-shirt rag.
After vacuuming, wiping the playfield down with naptha, waxing with blitz wax, and replacing the balls with new ones, my balls were coming out so fast that they were now hitting the post below the flipper! Previously I had adjusted the ball launch guide all the way "down" in an attempt to steer it away from the flipper, but now I have it set about mid-way. I've even reduced my auto-launch strength down to 200! I haven't counted but I'd estimate at least a 95% success rate on the auto-launch. I suppose we'll see how long that lasts.
Also, while I was cleaning, I removed the apron and the metal backing plate that directs the balls into the trough. I was able to really clean out the trough. There was a TON of caked on dirt that the balls would pick up every time they made their way down the trough. Ever since I cleaned that, the ball trails have stopped for the most part. Totally worth cleaning.
Now the game plays fast and everything seems to be working (that I know of) with the exception of one thing. The power ramps light near the right ramp flickers occasionally (when it is supposed to be off). Anyone else have this minor, but annoying issue?
[quoted image]

Did you get this game from someone who had in on route? Or someone who just put a ton of plays on it?

#2307 3 years ago
Quoted from pavelump:

After vacuuming,

Be careful vacuuming around and under the playfield. You can create static that will kill electronics. Compressed air to knock the dirt down into the cab, then vacuum out the bottom of the cabinet.

#2308 3 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Did you get this game from someone who had in on route? Or someone who just put a ton of plays on it?

Brand new out of the box.

#2309 3 years ago
Quoted from pavelump:

Brand new out of the box.

Dang, was just looking at the ball dimples and figured it was used by the number of them. How many plays on the game? We have all the new Sterns on route and get the same gold dust in the bottom of the cabinet, but these games get a ton of play.

#2310 3 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Dang, was just looking at the ball dimples and figured it was used by the number of them. How many plays on the game? We have all the new Sterns on route and get the same gold dust in the bottom of the cabinet, but these games get a ton of play.

The coil stops of the last 4 years or so are so crappy from Stern that you can start seeing the shavings in the bottom of the cabinet in less than 50 plays. Some are better, some are worse, all are unacceptable.

#2311 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The coil stops of the last 4 years or so are so crappy from Stern that you can start seeing the shavings in the bottom of the cabinet in less than 50 plays. Some are better, some are worse, all are unacceptable.

Yeah they were in bad shape by the time I noticed what was going on. The plungers for both main flippers were flattened out too so I replaced them while I was at it. All in all, not too hard to do and not terribly expensive. Unfortunately we had gotten used to the worn out flippers, so getting adjusted to flippers that are in good shape took a while.

Quoted from Kawydud:

We play the crap out of the machine. COVID has increased that a bit I'm sure. Another casualty of the virus.

Total plays shows 3707, but we have the bad habit of resetting games that get off to a shitty start, so that might not be very accurate (pretty sure it's not; that would be 741 games per month, or an average of 25 games a day. Well, maybe...)

But yeah, it sees a fair amount of use. I still suck though. Haha

#2312 3 years ago
Quoted from pavelump:

Total plays shows 3707, but we have the bad habit of resetting games that get off to a shitty start, so that might not be very accurate

Just turn restart OFF in the settings so you don't have to rely on your self control when a game starts bad.

#2313 3 years ago

I CANNOT dial in the orb newton ball. I've probably spent 2 hours adjusting the leaf switch back and forth. It's either too hard to trigger or too EASY to trigger (pops set it off). this mech is such a poor design. Does anyone have any advice that doesn't involve drilling out the hole in my playfield? Should I try the loctite method? what happens if the loctite method doesn't work - can you take it off? This little spoon mech is driving me crazy.

#2314 3 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

I CANNOT dial in the orb newton ball. I've probably spent 2 hours adjusting the leaf switch back and forth. It's either too hard to trigger or too EASY to trigger (pops set it off). this mech is such a poor design. Does anyone have any advice that doesn't involve drilling out the hole in my playfield? Should I try the loctite method? what happens if the loctite method doesn't work - can you take it off? This little spoon mech is driving me crazy.

I had the same problem, what are you using to adjust the leaf? It’s very important to make tiny adjustments until you get it right. Yes, use blue semi- permanent lock tight...

#2315 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

I had the same problem, what are you using to adjust the leaf? It’s very important to make tiny adjustments until you get it right. Yes, use blue semi- permanent lock tight...

...and don't be afraid to make changes by turning the actuator posts. Up or down will make micro changes.

#2316 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

...and don't be afraid to make changes by turning the actuator posts. Up or down will make micro changes.

Yep, leaf switch tool is mandatory.

#2317 3 years ago

Yeah, I'm using a leaf switch tool.

When you say turn the actuator posts, you mean the metal post (attached to the newton ball) that comes to a point that rests inside the plastic spoon, right? Do you mean I should do that when I'm using loctite? Not sure how I could do that now, as it's really tight, and I've heard loosening it can screw it up even more (if you're not using loctite, obviously).

I will typically move the newton ball around with my hand and watch the switch. most of the directions I push from, the spoon actually moves UP, away from the leaf switch. the optimal direction to push the ball from is very narrow.

#2318 3 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Yeah, I'm using a leaf switch tool.
When you say turn the actuator posts, you mean the metal post (attached to the newton ball) that comes to a point that rests inside the plastic spoon, right? Do you mean I should do that when I'm using loctite? Not sure how I could do that now, as it's really tight, and I've heard loosening it can screw it up even more (if you're not using loctite, obviously).
I will typically move the newton ball around with my hand and watch the switch. most of the directions I push from, the spoon actually moves UP, away from the leaf switch. the optimal direction to push the ball from is very narrow.

Wouldn't hesitate to slightly loosen/adjust the metal actuator post as long as you use loctite. Blue loctite is easy to break loose if needed. Once you get the post location set, take it off, apply blue locktite, reinstall in about the same spot, and retest. The loctite takes time to set-up so you can fine-tune the post location if needed. Make sure the leaf switch isn't super tight before adjusting the post or it will be too sensitive.

#2319 3 years ago

I apologize if this issue was discussed already, but couldn't seem to find it after a couple hours of hunting.

I'm having an issue with the sarcophagus motor.
I figured I needed to change out those switches (already ordered), but wondering if it's more than just the switches.

When I put the game in the test mode, it goes from switch 62 to 65, no problem.
When I got to the next switch, 64, it just hangs. It won't get into the 64 switch block, unless I manually pull it to the position.
It'll then go to the 63 no problem.

#2320 3 years ago
Quoted from nzman:

I apologize if this issue was discussed already, but couldn't seem to find it after a couple hours of hunting.
I'm having an issue with the sarcophagus motor.
I figured I needed to change out those switches (already ordered), but wondering if it's more than just the switches.
When I put the game in the test mode, it goes from switch 62 to 65, no problem.
When I got to the next switch, 64, it just hangs. It won't get into the 64 switch block, unless I manually pull it to the position.
It'll then go to the 63 no problem.

something may be binding. First thing I would check is the spotlight under the PF as it is real close to being in the way, at least on my game.

2 weeks later
#2321 3 years ago

Don’t know if this has been posted, 47 pages is a lot to read through. But my on Iron Maiden Premium the speaker “pops” every time you hit the right flipper. Sounds like it’s coming from the back of the box. Have no idea why...anyone run into this? Have any suggestions?

#2322 3 years ago
Quoted from Satismaxtion:

Don’t know if this has been posted, 47 pages is a lot to read through. But my on Iron Maiden Premium the speaker “pops” every time you hit the right flipper. Sounds like it’s coming from the back of the box. Have no idea why...anyone run into this? Have any suggestions?

Are you sure you're not hearing a cabinet thunk? That's a known issue. If it's the thunk it's the flipper end echoing off the cabinet because it's VERY CLOSE. You can reduce or eliminate it with car stereo deadening material that you cut to fit.

#2323 3 years ago

It sounds like an audio problem like a speaker popping but it could be a thunk haha I have no idea

#2324 3 years ago

It sounds like an audio problem like a speaker popping but it could be a thunk haha I have no idea

Thunk ,maybe, the left captive ball switch is touching..

#2325 3 years ago

Extremely common problem.

#2326 3 years ago

Turn your volume down completely while testing so you can clearly hear the issue and isolate what you're hearing.

#2327 3 years ago

At first I also believed in to be audio, but then it was a thunk nonetheless - but I still admin, that it sounds very much like to be coming from the speakers.
Can be verified by moving the playfield either completely to the right or left side.

1 week later
#2328 3 years ago

Has anybody else experienced the issue where the high scores (but not the grand champion) are reset to the factory defaults? It has happened twice and my wife swears that I'm doing it on purpose because she has all of the high scores (but not the grand champion )

#2329 3 years ago
Quoted from pavelump:

Has anybody else experienced the issue where the high scores (but not the grand champion) are reset to the factory defaults? It has happened twice and my wife swears that I'm doing it on purpose because she has all of the high scores (but not the grand champion )

That's a setting. You can have it reset everything but GC after some number of plays. I always turn that off.

#2330 3 years ago

My Iron Maiden LE is freezing almost every time I turn it on. It does it randomly. I can fix it 99% of the time by removing the back glass and removing the sd card and then replacing it . Yesterday I burned a new image onto a new sd card and loaded it into my machine. Everything worked great and it had no freezing issues untill today when I turned it on, Now its doing the freezing thing again. Anyone have this issue before? If so have you solved it?

20200625_144633 (resized).jpg20200625_144633 (resized).jpg
#2331 3 years ago

Maybe its happening because its laying sideways on the floor?

#2332 3 years ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

My Iron Maiden LE is freezing almost every time I turn it on. It does it randomly. I can fix it 99% of the time by removing the back glass and removing the sd card and then replacing it . Yesterday I burned a new image onto a new sd card and loaded it into my machine. Everything worked great and it had no freezing issues untill today when I turned it on, Now its doing the freezing thing again. Anyone have this issue before? If so have you solved it?
[quoted image]

What brand SD card did you replace it with? Might have failed also.

1 month later
#2333 3 years ago
Quoted from creepykenny:

my shooter lane guide had a small indention on the vertical edge where ball leaves the lane - I presume this was caused by balls striking the metal edge. I took a small metal file and filed the dent/ridge flat. ball has launched correctly ever since.

I had the same issue. There was a tiny ding in the very end of the guide, and that was causing all of my shots (manual and auto) to run low...auto plunge would usually hit the post just above the regular skill shot. Manual shots almost always hit the regular skill shot.

A few seconds with a needle file smoothed it down, and things are working great again. Auto plunge shots go around the orbit. Manual shots go wherever they're supposed to.

#2334 3 years ago

Hi, i get an issue with flippers.
In play, my right lower flipper is sometimes stuck in up position.
In test, don’t know if this is normal but a very light touch on right flipper button and the lower right flip hit, and the a normal touch on the button and the upper flip hit too.
What’s the mess?

#2335 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

In test, don’t know if this is normal but a very light touch on right flipper button and the lower right flip hit, and the a normal touch on the button and the upper flip hit too.
What’s the mess?

Seems fixed with a little adjustment of the eos.

#2336 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

What’s the mess?

Sounds like a bad coil stop and possibly dirty sleeve too. EOS switches don't work that way on stern's to where an adjustment to it would prevent the flipper from returning home. Something is sticking. Normally that is due to a bad coil stop.

#2337 3 years ago

Does anyone ever have any trouble with trooper lock not registering or registering late after the ball has already made it through the orbit? Happens to me probably 1/10 games. Sucks having the ball fly back toward the flippers when expecting a lock.

Can't figure out what I need to adjust. Seems that the spinner is the only switch that triggers the lock.
This is on a pro.

#2338 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

Does anyone ever have any trouble with trooper lock not registering or registering late after the ball has already made it through the orbit? Happens to me probably 1/10 games. Sucks having the ball fly back toward the flippers when expecting a lock.
Can't figure out what I need to adjust. Seems that the spinner is the only switch that triggers the lock.
This is on a pro.

Check the orbit optos. Normally a fast paced ball the other direction wont register the orbit shot when once is acting up but if you have 1 out or flakey it could effect right orbit lock shots as well. Since it's a pro I would expect it to effect tomb awards too though.

#2339 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Check the orbit optos. Normally a fast paced ball the other direction wont register the orbit shot when once is acting up but if you have 1 out or flakey it could effect right orbit lock shots as well. Since it's a pro I would expect it to effect tomb awards too though.

Sorry, should have clarified that this is only with the left orbit lock. Right orbit trooper lock and tomb treasure lock work 100%. On the left orbit the opto is after the up post, which makes me think it's something to do with the spinner.

#2340 3 years ago

Ah, that makes a difference. Yes, I would check the spinner. If it's not adjusted correctly it can cause delayed activations. Friend of mine had that on his pro. What was happening is that the spinner was just barely making contact with the switch enough to where it would activate the micro switch. As such it was inconsistent on how many spins it would register. Play with that a bit and I bet you get it working right again.

#2341 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Ah, that makes a difference. Yes, I would check the spinner. If it's not adjusted correctly it can cause delayed activations. Friend of mine had that on his pro. What was happening is that the spinner was just barely making contact with the switch enough to where it would activate the micro switch. As such it was inconsistent on how many spins it would register. Play with that a bit and I bet you get it working right again.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll check to make sure the spinner switch is registering early enough to consistently count spins. Seems like 2-3 are needed to activate the lock, maybe mine is skipping a spin or two or something.

#2342 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll check to make sure the spinner switch is registering early enough to consistently count spins. Seems like 2-3 are needed to activate the lock, maybe mine is skipping a spin or two or something.

Make sure you’re on the most up to date code. This was an issue on early code. Also, there are certain modes or sequence of events where the trooper won’t lock. It’s quite rare, it seems to happen most often in FOTD or on a ongoing combo sequence, but it’s happened in other instances too. So I’m not sure if that’s the case for you, but it may just be a code issue if it’s rare.

This drove me nuts when it was broke on early code and I thought it was a switch when it wasn’t.

#2343 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Make sure you’re on the most up to date code. This was an issue on early code. Also, there are certain modes or sequence of events where the trooper won’t lock. It’s quite rare, it seems to happen most often in FOTD or on a ongoing combo sequence, but it’s happened in other instances too. So I’m not sure if that’s the case for you, but it may just be a code issue if it’s rare.
This drove me nuts when it was broke on early code and I thought it was a switch when it wasn’t.

Thanks. Definitely 1.06 code.

I think it's too common to not be hardware related. Happens randomly. Doesn't seem to matter if in a mode or not

#2344 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Adjusting spinner switch up seems to have it fixed perfect!

#2345 3 years ago

Awesome! Glad that worked out for you.

2 months later
#2346 3 years ago

Anyone have this prob on prem/LE ...after playing a full game when I start the next game it kicks into ball search and spits a ball out from under ramp. Is this a locked sarcophagus ball? Shouldn’t that kick out after ball 3 is played and not a game start? Kind of annoying.

#2347 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Anyone have this prob on prem/LE ...after playing a full game when I start the next game it kicks into ball search and spits a ball out from under ramp. Is this a locked sarcophagus ball? Shouldn’t that kick out after ball 3 is played and not a game start? Kind of annoying.

Sounds like your switch may be loose/intermittent from the micro-mini-subway under the ramp or in the sarcophagus lock. I think it's supposed to clear that when the game's over.

#2348 3 years ago

Right on...I’ll take a closer look at that. It’s just odd as I have no gameplay issues. In play all balls from the subway clear. It only occurs after locking a ball in the sarcophagus and then not getting mummy multi before the game ends...just kinda strange

Quoted from PinMonk:

Sounds like your switch may be loose/intermittent from the micro-mini-subway under the ramp or in the sarcophagus lock. I think it's supposed to clear that when the game's over.

2 weeks later
#2349 3 years ago

Mummy MB Issue: IMDN Premium. When the second to last ball drains the flippers die and the ball ends. More often occurs on the 3rd ball of the game and more often when there is NOT another mode going (like Icarus for example). The problem has occurred since new (purchased NIB). I have reinstalled 1.06 - full install twice and no effect. No reply from Stern and my distributor said it had to be a code issue. It does not shut down like this on any other mode or MB (like Tropper) when down to one ball on the playfield ever. Only on Mummy. Any advice?

#2350 3 years ago

I would say it's a problem with your sarc switch. 100% not a code issue.

Screenshot_20201105-015446 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201105-015446 (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
$ 15.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/47?hl=red-line and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.