4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 50.
#2201 4 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

one other issue I've noticed with newer sterns in general is the inlane/outlane GI lighting usually starts to flicker. Seems to be more prevalent with newer sterns in areas where there is a lot of vibration. I used to think it was the LED itself, now I know it's the contact btwn the bulb and socket.
all four of my iron maiden inlane GI's were doing this, I replaced the bulbs like 3 times before it dawned on me that the LED wasn't the issue... had the same issue on guardians and batman always in the same area.
besides adding solder to the LED casing or squeezing the socket are there any other fixes. maybe filing down the coating a little on the socket itself?

You ever figure out a way to stop the flickering? My lower gi has been flickering with each flip for awhile. Replaced bulbs, flickering stopped for a day or two and is back in full force. Haven't came across any solid fixes.

#2202 4 years ago

My GI lamps by the flippers do the same thing. I think they are suppose to during certain modes in the game but when in regular play they still blink or are even off sometimes. I tried stretching the spring and oblonged the lamp holder for a good connection but it still does it. I’d be interested in a permanent fix too.

#2203 4 years ago

They dim for a few modes and for a few different things. The flicker went 100% away for probably 30 games with the new leds. No flickering during any modes or anything.

#2204 4 years ago

Hi guys,

Having an issue with a pro I got recently, wondering if it's a software bug?

Settings: Extraball : 3; Replay awards extra ball.

If I get the replay, and then in the same ball a regular extra ball (by hitting the target), the extra ball is not awarded. Only getting one instead of 2.
Any idea is this is known or solved or whatever?

#2205 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hi guys,
If I get the replay, and then in the same ball a regular extra ball (by hitting the target), the extra ball is not awarded. Only getting one instead of 2.

I believe there is a setting for max extra balls and it may be set to one.

#2206 4 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I believe there is a setting for max extra balls and it may be set to one.

It's set to 3

#2207 4 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Has anyone else had issues with their newton ball?

Haha has anyone NOT had trouble with their Newton ball? Newton balls are the worst invention in pinball history!

#2208 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

You ever figure out a way to stop the flickering? My lower gi has been flickering with each flip for awhile. Replaced bulbs, flickering stopped for a day or two and is back in full force. Haven't came across any solid fixes.

I had a similar issue on my paragon to where the socket wasn't making great contact with the LEDs in the pops. I added solder in key places and crimped the socket with needle nose pliers so the bulb didn't move from the vibrations and it worked like a charm, so I kept doing that for older solid states.

I've tried diff stuff with these sterns, like crimping the sockets and replacing the bulb. nothing works for to long.
Figured its the same thing though, vibrations make it difficult.

#2209 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Haha has anyone NOT had trouble with their Newton ball? Newton balls are the worst invention in pinball history!

It's not the invention, it's the implementation. IMDN's NB was a PITA, but the NB on JP2 rocks!

1 week later
#2210 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hi guys,

Have put some more games in it and there is definitely an issue here.
Extra balls and extra balls based on replays are not awarded correctly.
That is extremely annoying...
How can I escalate this to Stern? Looks very much like a code issue.

#2211 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Have put some more games in it and there is definitely an issue here.
Extra balls and extra balls based on replays are not awarded correctly.
That is extremely annoying...
How can I escalate this to Stern? Looks very much like a code issue.

[email protected]
[email protected]

#2212 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

So annoying. I solved it by putting a very thin piece of duct tape around the upper middle of the bulb. It sits in there nice and tight now and doesn’t flicker. Not a great fix, but it’s working and hasn’t started any fires yet

#2213 4 years ago

Is there any information in this thread about the super jackpot via the upper left flipper turning off before you can hit it in this thread?

Mine lights up, but as soon as it rolls back towards the flipper it turns off.

#2214 4 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

So annoying. I solved it by putting a very thin piece of duct tape around the upper middle of the bulb. It sits in there nice and tight now and doesn’t flicker. Not a great fix, but it’s working and hasn’t started any fires yet

Thanks. I did this with electrical tape on my Grand Prix that had some loose sockets. Just wondering if there was a better fix than that for sterns. Sounds like this is the ticket! I'll give it a shot

#2215 4 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Is there any information in this thread about the super jackpot via the upper left flipper turning off before you can hit it in this thread?
Mine lights up, but as soon as it rolls back towards the flipper it turns off.

IME this happens if the ball is slow to roll back. Needs to make a quick fallback to mini flipper for skillshot to stay lit.

#2216 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

Thanks. I did this with electrical tape on my Grand Prix that had some loose sockets. Just wondering if there was a better fix than that for sterns. Sounds like this is the ticket! I'll give it a shot

I used to have flicker problems on the outlanes as well. I did the tape trick which worked for awhile, but then it would start happening again. Read somewhere about getting pliers and crushing in the socket a little and then grabbing the spring inside and stretching it up carefully to make it a little longer so it would make a good contact with the bulb. Did that and haven't had a problem since.

#2217 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

IME this happens if the ball is slow to roll back. Needs to make a quick fallback to mini flipper for skillshot to stay lit.

It does this at any speed. My understanding was that it turns off when any switch is triggered. Perhaps I need a code update.

Time to test with the glass off.

#2218 4 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

I used to have flicker problems on the outlanes as well. I did the tape trick which worked for awhile, but then it would start happening again. Read somewhere about getting pliers and crushing in the socket a little and then grabbing the spring inside and stretching it up carefully to make it a little longer so it would make a good contact with the bulb. Did that and haven't had a problem since.

Alright. I really appreciate it. I'll probably still just try the tape first but good to have a second plan!

#2219 4 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

It does this at any speed. My understanding was that it turns off when any switch is triggered. Perhaps I need a code update.
Time to test with the glass off.

Could be possible that there is a switch being triggered somehow during the plunge?

#2220 4 years ago

anyone know if there is a mylar kit for premium/LE?

my ramp is starting to cut thru the mylar.

#2221 4 years ago

I just bought a small sheet of mylar, cut a piece from it and placed it under the ramp.

#2222 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I just bought a small sheet of mylar, cut a piece from it and placed it under the ramp.

Neil has demonstrated quite discriminating taste over time and was no doubt looking for a less...how shall we say...okie joe solution to the issue.

Not that there's anything wrong with okie joe. He's a friend of mine, and I call on him quite often in a pinch.

#2223 4 years ago

If you have a specific design you want cut out of mylar, I cut a bunch of different things out on my vinyl cutter for the pins. I have a roll of mylar specifically for the pins. Just has to be in a vector form for me to work with.

#2224 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Neil has demonstrated quite discriminating taste over time and was no doubt looking for a less...how shall we say...okie joe solution to the issue.
Not that there's anything wrong with okie joe. He's a friend of mine, and I call on him quite often in a pinch.

Well...at least I didn't use duct tape...

#2225 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Well...at least I didn't use duct tape...

Krylon chrome is the real telltale sign...

#2226 4 years ago

LOL I'm just kinda rubbish at craft style things and hoped there was an easy replacement I've ordered some mylar sheets.

#2227 4 years ago

My Premium gives me points while the ball is lying in the shooterlane.....and a flipper is pushed (songs can not be adjusted in that case......) skillshot does not register than also....

Antother ball in the same game could go well (change song and skillshot works)

Any idea?

#2228 4 years ago
Quoted from drummerboy71:

My Premium gives me points while the ball is lying in the shooterlane.....and a flipper is pushed (songs can not be adjusted in that case......) skillshot does not register than also....
Antother ball in the same game could go well (change song and skillshot works)
Any idea?

Probably one of your newton balls, but you have some switch too sensitive and it's reacting to the vibration from the flippers. Put the game in switch test mode and smack the playfield with your open palm in a few places and see what switch triggers. Adjust that switch until it no longer happens.

#2229 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Probably one of your newton balls, but you have some switch too sensitive and it's reacting to the vibration from the flippers. Put the game in switch test mode and smack the playfield with your open palm in a few places and see what switch triggers. Adjust that switch until it no longer happens.

Thanks, i’ll have a look at it tomorrow

#2230 4 years ago

It could also be the switch for the clairvoyant target. The one near the front left of the playfield.

#2231 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That did the trick! Thanks. In switch-test indeed and (gently) smacked the playfield, the newton ball on the low-end of the playfield (clairvoyant) was registering. Small adjustment of the switch and then I could again change the songs with the flippers at every ball over and over again, while hitting the newton ball also stayed registering the hits..... thanks again!

#2232 4 years ago
Quoted from drummerboy71:

That did the trick! Thanks. In switch-test indeed and (gently) smacked the playfield, the newton ball on the low-end of the playfield (clairvoyant) was registering. Small adjustment of the switch and then I could again change the songs with the flippers at every ball over and over again, while hitting the newton ball also stayed registering the hits..... thanks again!

No problem. It's a common issue on Iron Maiden specifically, but the diagnostic to find mis-firing switches is a great tool for all machines.

#2233 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No problem. It's a common issue on Iron Maiden specifically, but the diagnostic to find mis-firing switches is a great tool for all machines.

People always look at me weird when i mention the term "percussive maintenance" but it works a treat with some things.

#2234 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Neil has demonstrated quite discriminating taste over time

I'll just leave this here

#2235 4 years ago

Ohh nooooo he hasn't??? pleaseee noooooo

1 week later
#2236 4 years ago

wait until you see my good the bad and the Metallica :LOL:

3 weeks later
#2237 4 years ago

Hello. This is my first time posting!! Lately, I've been having a few issues with my Maiden Pro. First issue is the auto plunger has a slight second delay after a ball save. The main issue, I'm having, is Trooper MB (first go around). The ball locks works fine when you launch the ball to either the left or right orbit. When shooting the ball up the ramp, to the pharaoh, a ball lock, or start of trooper MB (after two ball locks) will occur when the ball comes back down the left orbit and passes the sarcophagus. I don't know if there's a similar post elsewhere but thought I'd give it a shot here on this thread.

Thank you!!

#2238 4 years ago

Welcome to pinside!

Quoted from yetilee:

Hello. This is my first time posting!! Lately, I've been having a few issues with my Maiden Pro. First issue is the auto plunger has a slight second delay after a ball save. The main issue, I'm having, is Trooper MB (first go around). The ball locks works fine when you launch the ball to either the left or right orbit. When shooting the ball up the ramp, to the pharaoh, a ball lock, or start of trooper MB (after two ball locks) will occur when the ball comes back down the left orbit and passes the sarcophagus. I don't know if there's a similar post elsewhere but thought I'd give it a shot here on this thread.
Thank you!!

I think the second delay after ball save is normal.

As far as starting trooper, it sounds like maybe the target switches aren't registering a hit, so when it drains back down to the left the machine thinks you hit that shot. Does the post come up to lock the ball, but the ball is in play already?

I would go into diagnostics and do a switch test on the target switches. Good luck.

1 week later
#2239 3 years ago

OK, I'm at my wits end right now with my auto launcher. I've worked on it for HOURS now in my spare time since we are locked indoors. Absolutely nothing I'm doing is making a difference. It still hits the post just to the bottom of the upper orbit. Here is what I've done,

- Changed the coil and tried all strengths from as low as 150 to as high as it's max setting. Zero change in game play. In test, it will work about 40% of the time.
- Push the end of the rail of the shooter lane in and out. Zero change.
- Started thinking the ball may have been hitting the tip of the flipper so move it out of the way completely. No Change
- Thinking the diverter gate could be causing and issue. - No change
- Noticed the ball launching to the left at the start which was sometimes hitting the end of the guide between the outlane and shooter lane. - No change
- Adjusted pitch of game from as low as 6.5 to as high as 7.2 - No change
- Made sure game was level - No change

Here is the kicker. A full pull (orange spring) of my plunger does the same thing. But a weak pull will go into the orbit 80% of the time. So it is better.

It seems like the guide is not allowing the ball to go high enough in the game but I've maxed out the movement in the guide without taking it off and drilling out the hole a little bit. If I need to do that, how do you remove it? There is a screw at the end and a bolt that goes through the PF in the middle but the part on the shooter lane by the launch mech looks glued on.

Please, I'm begging you for help at this point as it's making me hate this game now as the ball has started to hit that post, go out of control and drain a lot now. Starting to feel as bad as the Star Wars launcher with drains.

#2240 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

OK, I'm at my wits end right now with my auto launcher. I've worked on it for HOURS now in my spare time since we are locked indoors. Absolutely nothing I'm doing is making a difference. It still hits the post just to the bottom of the upper orbit. Here is what I've done,
- Changed the coil and tried all strengths from as low as 150 to as high as it's max setting. Zero change in game play. In test, it will work about 40% of the time.
- Push the end of the rail of the shooter lane in and out. Zero change.
- Started thinking the ball may have been hitting the tip of the flipper so move it out of the way completely. No Change
- Thinking the diverter gate could be causing and issue. - No change
- Noticed the ball launching to the left at the start which was sometimes hitting the end of the guide between the outlane and shooter lane. - No change
- Adjusted pitch of game from as low as 6.5 to as high as 7.2 - No change
- Made sure game was level - No change
Here is the kicker. A full pull (orange spring) of my plunger does the same thing. But a weak pull will go into the orbit 80% of the time. So it is better.
It seems like the guide is not allowing the ball to go high enough in the game but I've maxed out the movement in the guide without taking it off and drilling out the hole a little bit. If I need to do that, how do you remove it? There is a screw at the end and a bolt that goes through the PF in the middle but the part on the shooter lane by the launch mech looks glued on.
Please, I'm begging you for help at this point as it's making me hate this game now as the ball has started to hit that post, go out of control and drain a lot now. Starting to feel as bad as the Star Wars launcher with drains.

Sounds like you have the same guide rail as me. I put a washer under the guide at the screw on the end by the play field. It seems like some guide rails would flex when tightened down and cause problems. Once I did this, it shot true 99% of the time. On mine, I know if the coil strength is to high, it will bounce off the post. Kinda counter intuitive, but I guess the ball bounces off the rail instead of follow it. But then, the post that goes through the play field broke on mine, so I got some plastic wedges and crammed one between the guide and side rail, and put another one between the end of the guide and the post that is right there so the rail wouldn't deflect. They are shepherd plastic shims #9435 you can get from Amazon or a hardware store.

#2241 3 years ago

This may or may not help you. There is a new shooter lane guide that is available from Stern. Super secret, but if you whine they'll send you one. The negative--it did not fit--not even close. But, what they did to gain more adjustability was to leave off the mounting tab towards the end of the guide. I cut the tab off the original guide and it gave me just a touch more adjustability--just like the new guide. That and the stronger coil fix gave me 95% success with the auto-plunge. Has worked great for the last 6 months.

#2242 3 years ago

Thanks Supersquid. I will give that a try.

Billy16 - Do you mind taking a picture of what you did? I may try that as well.

#2243 3 years ago

Since the stranger things UV kit is out does that mean they will release the Newton ball proximity kit for iron maiden?

#2244 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

...Billy16 - Do you mind taking a picture of what you did? I may try that as well.

I'd have to take the guide back off, which I don't want to mess with. If you take your guide off what I did should make sense to you. If not you can send me a photo of your guide and I can tell you what tab to cut off to make it like the newest version of the guide. You could always call Stern and ask for the new guide--maybe it will fit your game.

#2245 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'd have to take the guide back off, which I don't want to mess with. If you take your guide off what I did should make sense to you. If not you can send me a photo of your guide and I can tell you what tab to cut off to make it like the newest version of the guide. You could always call Stern and ask for the new guide--maybe it will fit your game.

Understood.

So when you say guide, I'm assuming you mean the part I point out in yellow above? Or are you talking about the second picture? Reason I ask is I don't see a tab anywhere on the first picture other than the one where the upper screw goes in. Right now that guide I point out in yellow is as far up as possible (resting on the rubber post).

IM2 (resized).jpgIM2 (resized).jpgIM (resized).jpgIM (resized).jpg
#2246 3 years ago

Photo 1 is it.

I just looked at my guide again. There is a rivet in the middle of the curve at the upper end. Whatever is attached to this rivet--maybe it was a threaded bolt--is what I cut off (and isn't on the newest guide). It puts all the holding of the end of the guide solely on the adjustment screw, but as S-Squid has noted you can shim the end to keep it in place if the screw tends to loosen. I have not had any issues in 6 months since I used this fix on my guide.

I found my original post on this fix: I made one more adjustment to my shooting guide today that made a big difference, so I thought I'd pass it along. I have made all the normal adjustments and installed the more powerful coil, which has helped. After time my percentage of accurate auto launches was decreasing so I thought I'd take another look at it. Stern had sent me the new and "improved" metal shooting lane guide. I tried to install it and found the adjustment mounting tab was in the wrong place--and I didn't want to drill another hole in the playfield. Both guides are very similar, except the new one does not have the threaded rod riveted onto the guide near the adjustment screw tab. So, I cut the one off of my original guide, filed down a small burr that was right at the end of the guide, polished the guide and put it back on. Oh, ho--a little more adjustment is available with that rod gone! I had to raise the tip of the upper right flipper to make use of that adjustment, but now auto launch is at 100%--and it has never been that good. The only neg to raising the flipper a smidge is that the ball will not loop all the way around to the lower right flipper, but I can live with that. Another plus is the loop shot is way easier to hit with this new alignment--so I like that a lot.

#2247 3 years ago

my pro had same problem for many months ... I finally pulled the glass off and found that my shooter lane guide had a small indention on the vertical edge where ball leaves the lane - I presume this was caused by balls striking the metal edge. I took a small metal file and filed the dent/ridge flat. ball has launched correctly ever since. did not move or remove or tighten any screws - 2 minute fix that I should have done months ago

sucks being lazy

#2248 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Thanks Supersquid. I will give that a try.
Billy16 - Do you mind taking a picture of what you did? I may try that as well.

Also, when you clean and wax the play field, it will shoot off and you have to reduce the coil strength. As you play more, you have to raise it a little. It's a little finicky.

#2249 3 years ago
Quoted from creepykenny:

I took a small metal file and filed the dent/ridge flat.

I have the same dent/ridge and inconsistency in my auto launch.

Would this file work or is there another you reccomend?

https://www.amazon.com/Corona-FE405506SC0CD-Smooth-Carded-6-Inch/dp/B00IO86VAS/ref=sr_1_16

#2250 3 years ago

That's pretty big, I think I took my burr off with a fine jewelers file, then used Blitz to polish it..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Trade
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods
Toppers
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 26.50
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/45?hl=nihonmasa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.