1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 2,149 posts
  • 294 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by vireland
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 275 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AE80355F-5C88-4F47-ACF9-CD1947559B71 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpg
C4C11B34-E040-48CA-92DC-99801E773D7D (resized).jpeg
IM right ramp fix (resized).jpg
IMG_2220 (resized).JPG
IMG_2219 (resized).JPG
IMG_2218 (resized).JPG
newton-ball-unscrew (resized).jpg
7728A7C8-BFD1-44AB-83AB-91CB1B9128EB (resized).jpeg
A24B7A39-59AD-45C4-8CA2-27C135D501F3 (resized).png
MVIMG_20190818_220245 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_9941 (resized).jpg
IMG_9939 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190817_233035 (resized).jpg
IMG_2387 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2149 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 43.
#151 1 year ago

I must admit I am a little bit spooked by all the issues being reported. I have a premium arriving soon and while I completely understand and expect to have to tweak the game a bit upon opening, I hope (wish?) that Stern addresses some of these before they box them up. Pinside has done a great job of documenting but is Stern paying attention? Up the f'ing irons. There, I finally said it. Now, send me my Maiden!!

#152 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

1. Ramp got stuck in up position: checked the mech and realized the back fold of the ramp has a sharp edge and was momentarily sticking on the ball guide below the back of the ramp. The mech would trigger the release coil, but the ramp would miss it as it was momentarily stuck.

Mine did the same. I took it out, put it in a vise and slightly bent the back bottomside so it stays away from the ball guide. 100% ever since.

#153 1 year ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Mine did the same. I took it out, put it in a vise and slightly bent the back bottomside so it stays away from the ball guide. 100% ever since.

It's disappointing that so many people are experiencing this issue.

#154 1 year ago

Ordered rollover switches recommended by Fytr.

Well at least BM66 had a nice code drop to keep me going until i can get those installed!

#155 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

It's disappointing that so many people are experiencing this issue.

It’s a non issue imo because it’s pretty easy to fix. My DILE has had issues and adjustments too. It’s the nature of pinball.

That being said, I went to adjust my plumb bob and the screw adjuster stripped with very little pressure. The bob threads literally turned to powder. I tapped new, thicker threads with just the tap in hand and it was way too easy. The bob is made of some crap powdered metal. I’m amazed at how Stern is able to skimp on almost every part they source.

#156 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

It’s a non issue imo because it’s pretty easy to fix. My DILE has had issues and adjustments too. It’s the nature of pinball.
That being said, I went to adjust my plumb bob and the screw adjuster stripped with very little pressure. The bob threads literally turned to powder. I tapped new, thicker threads with just the tap in hand and it was way too easy. The bob is made of some crap powdered metal. I’m amazed at how Steen is able to skimp on almost every part they source.

Your comments touch on a difference I've noticed...Stern issues often stem from cheap parts and JJP issues are more often poor manufacturing. Dialing In my Dialed In was a lot of work, but I never felt the parts being tweaked were "cheap".

I have a Premium coming...great heads-up thread. I'm hopeful that Stern take care of us...

snaroff

#157 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

That being said, I went to adjust my plumb bob and the screw adjuster stripped with very little pressure. The bob threads literally turned to powder. I tapped new, thicker threads with just the tap in hand and it was way too easy. The bob is made of some crap powdered metal. I’m amazed at how Stern is able to skimp on almost every part they source.

In my situation, I couldn't fix the mech for the ramp - I had to get another new assembly.

To Stern's credit, they overnighted me a new entire ramp assembly, swapped in 5 mins, and it's been great since. If it wasn't for Stern coming through with parts that quick, it would be a much bigger program- but so far, even after tweaking and fixing random crap on the game, it's still worth the $9k to me. Great game and one of the best Stern's i've ever played- and the LE came with a lot of value adds this time around too which is always a good thing.

I think the QA / tester just needs to really have a better checklist of things to look at and test before packing it up. I feel like we the customers are the play testers, based on all the issues posted here on Pinside.. which probably only represents 30-40% of all buyers at most.

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ordered rollover switches recommended by Fytr.
Well at least BM66 had a nice code drop to keep me going until i can get those installed!

Does the switch with roller need a diode ? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1N4004
Thanks and good luck !!

#159 1 year ago

Been playing the LE in "pro" mode due to my ongoing issues. Tonight the orb shot captive ball stopped registering so I went to adjust it and it was not gapped well. The thing is no amount of adjustments would make the shot work from a direct hit, only side gits or bottom hits work now. This is a odd switch design to say the least with this metal piece that goes to a weird white plastic piece with a little cup on it. So I give up after messing with it for awhile close the playfield start a game and it now shoots 2 balls into the shooter lane.

I am at a loss about this machine at the moment. One thing after another and I think the game plays better without the LE features regardless.

#160 1 year ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Does anyone have a good solution to the left wireform? I've tried a few setups to corral the ball, but I keep getting hopovers.
Has anyone tried bending or adding a bumper or guide of some sort?
Surprised this isn't' mentioned more as an issue. Maybe a Pro thing only?

So I found out my answer after investigating further. The lower support on this wireform is wielded too high some how. It acts like a very small speed bump and causes my balls to hop over either rail probably 1 out of 3 returns, maybe more. On my last game the ball actually got stuck on it during multiball and it took a vigorous shake to dislodge it. I’ve lost plenty of balls hopping right over and into the outlane.

This was my previous attempt to corral the ball. It worked pretty well but created a bounce back effect at times.

clear bumper (resized).jpg

I know a couple of you had similar, frequent issues. This might be the thing to look for. (I tried bending to correct with no luck)

08A4EC74-F29C-4966-9D6E-18A6D82D256B (resized).jpegD41E2764-74E6-4458-8B12-C49EECD43C39 (resized).jpegD4EFF5AB-A0C6-46CB-86D7-91E77759C250 (resized).jpeg

#161 1 year ago

Hey gents,
Is there a solid fix for the left flipper button registering the sarcophagus Lock? MAIDEN LE here and mine did this out of box. I’ve read most others have same issue. Is there a solid fix anybody can recommend?

Thanks all!
Craig

#162 1 year ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

So I found out my answer after investigating further. The lower support on this wireform is wielded too high some how. It acts like a very small speed bump and causes my balls to hop over either rail probably 1 out of 3 returns, maybe more. On my last game the ball actually got stuck on it during multiball and it took a vigorous shake to dislodge it. I’ve lost plenty of balls hopping right over and into the outlane.
This was my previous attempt to corral the ball. It worked pretty well but created a bounce back effect at times.

I know a couple of you had similar, frequent issues. This might be the thing to look for. (I tried bending to correct with no luck)

Looks like the two rails the ball rolls on spread out a bit right there, letting the ball rest bit lower and hit the cross beam. Probably no way to fix it besides requesting a new one...

#163 1 year ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Hey gents,
Is there a solid fix for the left flipper button registering the sarcophagus Lock? MAIDEN LE here and mine did this out of box. I’ve read most others have same issue. Is there a solid fix anybody can recommend?
Thanks all!
Craig

You need to adjust the switch gap under the orb ball. A bit more space is needed between the blades of the switch to avoid having it touch with vibration from the flippers, etc.

Use the switch test diagnostic to test it while you make adjustments. Don’t bend it much we’re talking millimeters.

I need to adjust mine again was fine for a few days and now fires with the flipper again.

EDIT>>> Oops make that the switch under the sarcophagus captive ball. Same setup.

#165 1 year ago
Quoted from starbase:

Been playing the LE in "pro" mode due to my ongoing issues. Tonight the orb shot captive ball stopped registering so I went to adjust it and it was not gapped well. The thing is no amount of adjustments would make the shot work from a direct hit, only side gits or bottom hits work now. This is a odd switch design to say the least with this metal piece that goes to a weird white plastic piece with a little cup on it. So I give up after messing with it for awhile close the playfield start a game and it now shoots 2 balls into the shooter lane.
I am at a loss about this machine at the moment. One thing after another and I think the game plays better without the LE features regardless.

When we adjusted that orb switch (too close together...scoring points) mine started shooting out 2 or more balls. I had accidentally disconnected the trough wire. Check those maybe reseat them. Hope that works.
I also have a shoddy weld on my rt wireform. No ball hops, but I am wondering if that can knick the balls up, maybe why I'm seeing a lot of scratches. Changed out the balls last night, every one of them knicked up. They were Ninja balls though, which I believe are softer than steel (??).

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from Russell:

Yup, been there. Waiting for those Marco rollover switches.

how many do you need and do you need diodes? In case my LE needs it I want to have them ready.

thanks.

have to say given the price of this machine its pretty crap that you have to do so much work to it.

Cheers,
Neil.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Does the switch with roller need a diode ? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1N4004
Thanks and good luck !!

Thanks Rob, yeah i ruled out the switch behind the panel so now its the sarcophagus mech. Gonna pull that tonight and just wait to get parts and replace.

Hopefully that will work!

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

how many do you need and do you need diodes? In case my LE needs it I want to have them ready.
thanks.
have to say given the price of this machine its pretty crap that you have to do so much work to it.
Cheers,
Neil.

#169 1 year ago

It's one thing to have to adjust those captive ball switches. A pain in the ass but simple to get to and do.

Maybe the sarcophagas switches will be as well but i think Russell said it took him about an hour and a half?

#170 1 year ago

There crap switch’s that we’re most likely over tight.

Had the same issues with my GB Prem ramp ones till o replaced

#171 1 year ago

At Lyons Classic Pinball, they did this to address the ball hops...

B18FD5F3-B2E9-41C1-A964-722A03527FC0 (resized).jpeg
#172 1 year ago

I wasn’t planning on doing anything with diodes. I have no idea how. Is this necessary?

#173 1 year ago
Quoted from Russell:

At Lyons Classic Pinball, they did this to address the ball hops...

Seems like an opportunity for one of the mod guys with a 3D printer to make themed Sarcophagus caps for the ends of the ball returns. I'd buy them.

#174 1 year ago

pretty poor something so basic needs an eyesore like that.

#175 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

pretty poor something so basic needs an eyesore like that.

Actually, I didn’t even notice it until it was pointed out. Just very visible when zoomed in.

#176 1 year ago

I ran into all the problems that is mentioned on this thread and was able to solve it. But now running into something that I have been trying to fix for the last 2 hours with no luck. It is a very strange problem and something that may have come out of alignment after putting a lot of games on this machine. I called stern and apparently the fix they recommended to me has fixed several machines now ... however, no luck. Maybe they are BS'ing me.

Anyway, the problem is with auto-launch or even shooting ball manually. It will never make it across playfield to say the super skill shot. It keeps hitting the top post (see pic)... it works 100% since I got game about 2 weeks ago but stopped worked a few days ago. It is very annoying when you get trooper multiball and all the balls don't make it up to the top where it is released at one. I am very disappointed that paying this much money for something and have continuous problems. I took the ball guide off and bent in many positions to see if I can get it to work, but no luck. Hope someone here was able to fix - as per stern it should be just a minor adjustment.

Thanks!

DSC_0269 (resized).JPGDSC_0270 (resized).JPG
#177 1 year ago
Quoted from AttilaK:

I ran into all the problems that is mentioned on this thread and was able to solve it. But now running into something that I have been trying to fix for the last 2 hours with no luck. It is a very strange problem and something that may have come out of alignment after putting a lot of games on this machine. I called stern and apparently the fix they recommended to me has fixed several machines now ... however, no luck. Maybe they are BS'ing me.
Anyway, the problem is with auto-launch or even shooting ball manually. It will never make it across playfield to say the super skill shot. It keeps hitting the top post (see pic)... it works 100% since I got game about 2 weeks ago but stopped worked a few days ago. It is very annoying when you get trooper multiball and all the balls don't make it up to the top where it is released at one. I am very disappointed that paying this much money for something and have continuous problems. I took the ball guide off and bent in many positions to see if I can get it to work, but no luck. Hope someone here was able to fix - as per stern it should be just a minor adjustment.
Thanks!

Same thing here, was hitting the same spot. Bent the metal guide down a little, and maxed the power, and it works every time now. Weird, it seems like it would need LESS bend, but mine worked better with a little more.

#178 1 year ago
Quoted from AttilaK:

Thanks!

ours on location had the opposite problem (ball hitting flipper). No amount of adjusting the guide would do it, and it'd just slide out of adjustment even worse the next day. We were told by Keith to loosen the shooter rod housing and move it around a bit. I don't understand why that would help but it did help a ton

#179 1 year ago

appreciate the quick response. I just messed around with it more and seems that 6 out of 10 auto-plunge will work, but still worked way better when the game initially was played. I will need to mess around with it more but to be honest I think I will leave alone for now ... was a real pain to get it to work this much.

zacaj: that is actually a good advice and didn't think about moving the shooter housing to a different position. I had to mess with that when I had the avengers to get it to shoot right. If it continues I will try that trick.

Thanks!

#180 1 year ago

After 30 mins of trying to tweak the orb shot captive ball switch with a excellent tech on facetime watching me he and I both gave up after many adjustments. In essence unlike the mummy switch was easy to adjust the white plastic "cup" part is really not actuating well off of hits from ball it moves but not nearly enough to engage switch deslite being gapped perfect and bending the crap out of the plast peice to try and get it to move better when hit. If the switch was oriented the opposite way and mounted on left it would probably work a hell of alot better but I am not drilling any playfield.

I am gaining skills but of all my previous games this one has the most issues of all of those combined. Guess I was very lucky previously.

I did fix my two balls ejecting issue so at least one thing is better today. Yes I am a bit salty about this purchase but bitching about it more or yelling about dssign flaws I see is not going to help so I will leave it as not fixed yet but I have hopes to one day play this game again.

It does seem fantastic when it works.

#181 1 year ago
Quoted from starbase:

After 30 mins of trying to tweak the orb shot captive ball switch with a excellent tech on facetime watching me he and I both gave up after many adjustments. In essence unlike the mummy switch was easy to adjust the white plastic "cup" part is really not actuating well off of hits from ball it moves but not nearly enough to engage switch deslite being gapped perfect and bending the crap out of the plast peice to try and get it to move better when hit. If the switch was oriented the opposite way and mounted on left it would probably work a hell of alot better but I am not drilling any playfield.
I am gaining skills but of all my previous games this one has the most issues of all of those combined. Guess I was very lucky previously.
I did fix my two balls ejecting issue so at least one thing is better today. Yes I am a bit salty about this purchase but bitching about it more or yelling about dssign flaws I see is not going to help so I will leave it as not fixed yet but I have hopes to one day play this game again.

My advice:. The LE is still in high demand. I'd sell while you can get all your money back and get a Pro. I've had a Pro since launch and mine had close to 500 plays at MGC and a few hundred after that and I've never had to even lift the glass once to fix an issue. It just plays and is fun as hell! The Pro really has no problem areas or any wear concerns. It's just a solid game and is an incredible value. I've owned close to 50 games including Stern LE and Premium games and this is the best machine I've ever owned.

#182 1 year ago
Quoted from starbase:

Here is what I'd try. So I pulled the Sarcophagus mech and adjusted the switches so we will see what happens when i fire it up again.

There was a screw that was missing from the mech and left the metal arm dangling too.

The captive ball can be adjusted a bit itself. Not just the switch. Back off the screw that taps the white cap to generate more contact.

If that doesn't work pull the entire captive ball and reseat it. Maybe the spring is F ed up itself and needs to be adjusted.

#183 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

My advice:. The LE is still in high demand. I'd sell while you can get all your money back and get a Pro. I've had a Pro since launch and mine had close to 500 plays at MGC and a few hundred after that and I've never had to even lift the glass once to fix an issue. It just plays and is fun as hell! The Pro really has no problem areas or any wear concerns. It's just a solid game and is an incredible value. I've owned close to 50 games including Stern LE and Premium games and this is the best machine I've ever owned.

That makes too much common sense. Stop it Mike!

The gap between the Pro and LE/premium is really a joke. There is a piece of white plastic and rollover switch in the back that goes to the sarcophagus lock.

And the lock mech itself is nothing special. Ever seen the BM66 turn table?

#184 1 year ago

The Premium we got three days ago Rocks! Yes, I have had to tweet the switches (both) a few times. The worst is what? You can't select your song or/and a hundred points may accumulate. I stopped being compulsive about it because someone will find a long lasting fix. If your buying this for yourself do the premium imho...if it is being routed I'd go Pro.

#185 1 year ago

Thanks Ice will try all of that tonight if I have time but spring feel fine to the touch.

Mike stop with the easy way out. Was hoping to flip this sucker in 2028 when i cannot stand anymore and stick it to those millennials bigtime!

#186 1 year ago
Quoted from starbase:

Thanks Ice will try all of that tonight if I have time but spring feel fine to the touch.
Mike stop with the easy way out. Was hoping to flip this sucker in 2028 when i cannot stand anymore and stick it to those millennials bigtime!

I'd give it a little more time to try and dial in, but if you can't get it working 99.9% reliably I would send it out the door as those kinds of issues would drive me nuts. I just like playing pinball and not having to worry in the back of my mind whether the games going to work correctly. I'm pretty OCD with my games and have sold games in the past because of small issues that I couldn't eliminate 100%. You could be having a killer game and the game could end a ball early or cash out a Power Jackpot at the wrong time and sabotage your game. It's really not worth it. Pinball is supposed to be fun!

#187 1 year ago

My first pins that I got taken for (and my own fault ) were a Stern Lighting, a Police Force and a Big Guns. Did I hear someone getting swinish? Lol! Yes, I loved those tables but they were a training experience for me.
Our Dialed In only needed some grease on the trap door ...really like it. But didn't MET have issues? We have a pro and really like it too.
So we are still a fan of IM...it is really to soon to not like it over small issues. If we want to talk about Kiss....I was there for almost two years and had to let her go.

#188 1 year ago

Received and installed these tonight. Lots of unscrewing, a little soldering & shrink tubing, took me about 45 minutes. (Getting good at this!?!). Good news is, these switches seem to work much more consistently. However, the bad news is that the little roller ball will not always allow the captive ball to pass over it. You can’t knock the ball back very far, and when the ball save happens and the sarcophagus lock lowers, the ball hangs up on the switches. I’m hoping this is just a matter of getting back in there and adjusting the arm of the switches a bit lower. I currently have the rollers facing down the playfield. I wonder if perhaps the upper one should be reversed (similar to how the game shipped.) I will try again tomorrow, irritated how hard it is to get to these switches to adjust.

#189 1 year ago
Quoted from starbase:

So i got mine working again! Adjusting the Sarco Mech switches worked after pulling it out altogether.

However, had to go back in and unscrew the post a bit that taps the white saucer to make better contact. Works like a charm!

#190 1 year ago
Quoted from Russell:

Received and installed these tonight. Lots of unscrewing, a little soldering & shrink tubing, took me about 45 minutes. (Getting good at this!?!). Good news is, these switches seem to work much more consistently. However, the bad news is that the little roller ball will not always allow the captive ball to pass over it. You can’t knock the ball back very far, and when the ball save happens and the sarcophagus lock lowers, the ball hangs up on the switches. I’m hoping this is just a matter of getting back in there and adjusting the arm of the switches a bit lower. I currently have the rollers facing down the playfield. I wonder if perhaps the upper one should be reversed (similar to how the game shipped.) I will try again tomorrow, irritated how hard it is to get to these switches to adjust.

You are almost there Russell. Just a little lowering of that arm and you've got it.

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You are almost there Russell. Just a little lowering of that arm and you've got it.

Did you put in the roller switches, or just finally get the regular ones adjusted to work?

#192 1 year ago

Seriously ?

#193 1 year ago

My two biggest issues are the pharaoh lock area where the ball continually gets stuck/lost if not tilted out and the launch rails must not be lined up just perfectly on my game as the auto-launcher shoots it out causing it to hit the tip of the upper left flipper almost each and every time rather than continue up the loop. It's a bummer as I know it should smoothly go through the loop on auto-launch feeding it to the upper right flipper, but it just never does. Going to try and make some adjustments to stop these issues tonight...

#194 1 year ago

So far my pro has been excellent... glad i went this route at the moment.

#195 1 year ago

Well...there are a lot of sharp people on Pinside, there must be a few Sharpe ones at Stern, so between the two sources I am confident work-arounds will be found for all these relatively minor (but annoying) issues. Can't believe that Keith would leave us hanging--he seems to have too much integrity do that.

#196 1 year ago
Quoted from starbase:

After 30 mins of trying to tweak the orb shot captive ball switch with a excellent tech on facetime watching me he and I both gave up after many adjustments. In essence unlike the mummy switch was easy to adjust the white plastic "cup" part is really not

starbase
How did you fix the two balls issue out of interest?

#197 1 year ago
Quoted from AttilaK:

Thanks!

Just set my pro up and going through a few issues.

I have tried everything and auto-plunge hits the top post every single time. Factory setting auto-plunge is 255 and that is maxed out. Tried lower, same.

Set coils to hard - no difference.

What did Stern say to do?

Really frustrating.

Manual works about 50%. Tried a Candy shooter - that worked a bit better.

Wondering whether to adjust this part in any way?

Not bent the guides yet as not sure where etc.
IMG_3098 (resized).jpg

#198 1 year ago

The natural curve seems to make it a sure thing that ball will hit post.

Maybe bend towards post?

Do they all look like this?

IMG_3099 (resized).jpg
#199 1 year ago
Quoted from Russell:

I wasn’t planning on doing anything with diodes. I have no idea how. Is this necessary?

Shouldn't be. If the original switch doesn't have a diode attached to a couple of the bottom blades then you don't need to worry about it. From what I can see on my LE that aren't using diodes at the switch so no concerns.

#200 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The natural curve seems to make it a sure thing that ball will hit post.
Maybe bend towards post?
Do they all look like this?

There's an adjustable post behind that flipper (under the plastic). I'd also play around with your playfield pitch. I have mine set steep (7.5) and the autoplunge works better the steeper it is set.-at least on my game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
7,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmette, IL
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
$ 18.00
Cabinet - Decals
Top-Notch Target Shields
$ 74.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
5,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waukesha, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2149 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 43.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside