4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 50.
#1701 5 years ago
Quoted from JCNP:

Called Stern today and spoke with Dave in tech support. I believe was his name and told him that the balls were flying off the wire form actually on each side maybe more on the left. He says he hasn't heard of that problem but to send some pictures of the wire form where they drop the ball in the lane. So my question is this. Is this something that's been a problem on some machines and do they replace the wire form. Also this is a good reason not to have mods on the machine until you get things worked out because I would imagine if somebody takes pictures with mods that might be an excuse for them to ignore the problem. Things like plastic protectors.

My Met has $2,000 in mods. 2 inserts started ghosting and the playfield had some dimpling so I sent stern MANY pictures at David's request. It has taken a long time but they are doing an entire playfield swap for me. As long as the mods clearly aren't the culprit of your complaint, stern seems pretty reliable.
Now I'm happy I get a new playfield, but dreading swapping out all the mods, lights and personalizations I've done.

#1702 5 years ago
Quoted from JCNP:

spoke with Dave in tech support. I believe was his name and told him that the balls were flying off the wire form actually on each side maybe more on the left. He says he hasn't heard of that problem

That seems to be his answer on everything. He acted very surprised about the sound issues of this game and then when i called another time he acted very surprised about the Newton balls and said that he hasnt heard of a lot of problems with them. You know what i say to that? Bull f*cking shit! He seems like a decent guy but come on man please don’t lie to me. Im not stupid and i know that these Newton balls are junk and almost everybody hates them and has had some sort of trouble out of them at one time or another.

#1703 5 years ago
Quoted from JCNP:

Called Stern today and spoke with Dave in tech support. I believe was his name and told him that the balls were flying off the wire form actually on each side maybe more on the left. He says he hasn't heard of that problem but to send some pictures of the wire form where they drop the ball in the lane. So my question is this. Is this something that's been a problem on some machines and do they replace the wire form. Also this is a good reason not to have mods on the machine until you get things worked out because I would imagine if somebody takes pictures with mods that might be an excuse for them to ignore the problem. Things like plastic protectors.

He may not have heard of the issue (there's more than one tech in support at Stern), but they have feigned ignorance on WELL KNOWN problems before, so it's hard to say which camp he falls into. There is DEFINITELY one clearly-documented person here with the same issue that spoke to Stern and had the whole wireform replaced.

#1704 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That seems to be his answer on everything. He acted very surprised about the sound issues of this game and then when i called another time he acted very surprised about the Newton balls and said that he hasnt heard of a lot of problems with them. You know what i say to that? Bull f*cking shit! He seems like a decent guy but come on man please don’t lie to me. Im not stupid and i know that these Newton balls are junk and almost everybody hates them and has had some sort of trouble out of them at one time or another.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Stern had a public defect tracking system that all of us could submit issues and navigate? Sometimes I get the impression that they don't even have an internal defect tracking system!

I recently suggested to a Stern rep that they issue a service bulletin on the shooter lane issue. They said the number of complaints doesn't warrant a service bulletin at the moment. So while many of us solve our problems on Pinside, it's important to also contact Stern about our issues. I've played several IMDN's in the wild and the shooter lanes were AWFUL (both manual and auto plunge). Considering the games design, not having this feature work reliably is a show stopper for me.

#1705 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think this is David in the Todd Tuckey video?

55:30 in the video

#1706 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Stern had a public defect tracking system that all of us could submit issues and navigate? Sometimes I get the impression that they don't even have an internal defect tracking system!
I recently suggested to a Stern rep that they issue a service bulletin on the shooter lane issue. They said the number of complaints doesn't warrant a service bulletin at the moment. So while many of us solve our problems on Pinside, it's important to also contact Stern about our issues. I've played several IMDN's in the wild and the shooter lanes were AWFUL (both manual and auto plunge). Considering the games design, not having this feature work reliably is a show stopper for me.

Im not really complaining but in the case of IMDN i kind of am. All of my Stern games have been very solid and if i ever have a problem Stern has ALWAYS went above and beyond to help me out. Chaz and David are both good guys and they have both always treated me well everytime i have called them.

#1707 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im not really complaining but in the case of IMDN i kind of am. All of my Stern games have been very solid and if i ever have a problem Stern has ALWAYS went above and beyond to help me out. Chaz and David are both good guys and they have both always treated me well everytime i have called them.

Just to be clear, Stern takes good care of me as well. I still think Service Bulletins are great way of reaching folks that aren't as proactive as some of us (or as plugged into Pinside). Iron Maiden is a special case...I've spent more time on it than most of my games combined (over the past 6 months). If a Stern rep tells me they haven't heard about issue "X" with Iron Maiden, I just have a hard time believing it (as you pointed out in your post).

#1708 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Just to be clear, Stern takes good care of me as well. I still think Service Bulletins are great way of reaching folks that aren't as proactive as some of us (or as plugged into Pinside). Iron Maiden is a special case...I've spent more time on it than most of my games combines (over the past 6 months). If a Stern rep tells me they haven't heard about issue "X" with Iron Maiden, I just have a hard time believing it (as you pointed out in your post).

Agreed, but then again what are they going to say? “Yeah these Newton balls are a total disaster and very poorly designed” lol.....i dont see that happening.

#1709 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Agreed, but then again what are they going to say? “Yeah these Newton balls are a total disaster and very poorly designed” lol.....i dont see that happening.

Well, in the event they designed a replacement, they would issue the bulletin and replacement. In the event they decided not to redesign the mech, they would issue a bulletin on how to dial it in (I did several things to mine and it's been really solid...FINALLY). The last thing I did to the ORB newton was to replace the screws with wider screws with lock washers. The very small wood screws don't hold with all the vibration from the newton AND pops. The sarcophagus newton doesn't have this problem, since it's fastened to the PF differently.

#1710 5 years ago

I have two issues that started today and don’t see an answer when searching this topic.
1. The underworld ramp will not stay in the up position. When triggered it will pop up and the go right back down. Can’t really tell by first glance how it’s supposed to be held in the up position.
2. The back left ramp diverter for the sarcophagus lock shot goes up, but the ball does not get diverted and just keeps traveling on the ramp as normal. Not sure if maybe the door/diverter isn’t going high enough.
Anyone experience either one of these issues?

#1711 5 years ago
Quoted from foobeer:

2. The back left ramp diverter for the sarcophagus lock shot goes up, but the ball does not get diverted and just keeps traveling on the ramp as normal. Not sure if maybe the door/diverter isn’t going high enough.

I have never heard of this. I would film it. Your phone can probably do film at 60fps and may even do higher, glass off film a bunch of shots, then watch frame by frame to see what causing it.

#1712 5 years ago
Quoted from foobeer:

I have two issues that started today and don’t see an answer when searching this topic.
1. The underworld ramp will not stay in the up position. When triggered it will pop up and the go right back down. Can’t really tell by first glance how it’s supposed to be held in the up position.
Anyone experience either one of these issues?

Go to Diagnostics->GameSpecificTests->GuardianDiverterMotorTests. It will allow you to raise/lower the gate to see how is functioning.

#1713 5 years ago

Few have you have asked now.

I had the auto launch problem. I tried everything:

1: The washer
2: The wax
3: the adjustment of the mech.
4: cardio surgery
5: Frontal lobotomy
6: Faith healers
7: dentistry
8: turning it off and on again.

none of them worked.

Then I was watching Star Trek, not that new rubbish, Star Trek 4, full power now sir!

More power! that's what this needs.

So I stuck a bigger coil in https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-090-5023-ot22-600-coil.html 22-600. Don’t install the diode. And I’m using 205 on power settings.

Boom, all good. but with trooper a little too much power, so dialled it back on the settings. No more Fucking problem.

You're Welcome.

Cheers,
Neil.

#1714 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

none of them worked.
Then I was watching Star Trek, not that new rubbish, Star Trek 4, full power now sir!
So I stuck a bigger coil in (I'll get the details on that in the morning). Boom, all good. but with trooper a little too much power, so dialled it back on the settings. No more Fucking problem.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Neil.

Nothing seem to work for me also... was pretty sure was a power problem,

I will try a stronger coil! Let me know what you put in there

#1716 5 years ago

i will have to order a new one... what about a 23-700? 100 less turn enought power increase?

#1717 5 years ago

Anyone else that puts the more powerful coil in, let us know if it works.

#1718 5 years ago

Stream with the coil in....

#1719 5 years ago

What is the ideal angle you all have your flippers set to? Do you have them at factory angle pointed at the holes or something different? What about flipper power? Normal or hard? TIA

#1720 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

none of them worked.
So I stuck a bigger coil in https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-090-5023-ot22-600-coil.html 22-600. Boom, all good. but with trooper a little too much power, so dialled it back on the settings. No more Fucking problem.
You're Welcome.
Cheers,
Neil.

Please forgive my newb-ness but how hard is it to change a coil? I have done some searches but have not found a guide on how to replace a coil on a spike 2 game.

#1721 5 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Please forgive my newb-ness but how hard is it to change a coil? I have done some searches but have not found a guide on how to replace a coil on a spike 2 game.

If you know how to solder, it's not a big deal. Not unique to the Spike architecture...

#1722 5 years ago
Quoted from SpadeofAces18:

What is the ideal angle you all have your flippers set to? Do you have them at factory angle pointed at the holes or something different? What about flipper power? Normal or hard? TIA

Always use the holes.

WRT power, the default settings seem to work well on most machines. If you are experiencing mechanical issues, it would be best to resolve the actual problem, rather than changing the software settings. Many Maidens had over-tightened flipper parts from the factory, causing the plunger to bind (it seems like the flipper gets weak after a while.)

#1723 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If you know how to solder, it's not a big deal. Not unique to the Spike architecture...

Should I keep the diode on the coil? The original coil has no diode.

#1724 5 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Should I keep the diode on the coil? The original coil has no diode.

My understanding is you will need to remove the diode and then it's good to.

#1725 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

but with trooper a little too much power, so dialled it back on the settings.

What did you set the power number to?

#1726 5 years ago
Quoted from SpadeofAces18:

What did you set the power number to?

About 200 - can check tomorrow night.

#1727 5 years ago

Minor problem
When trooper multi starts, 2 of the balls go to the left post and one to the right post. I will try to explain what I see happening.
The first ball (ball 2) auto plunges fine, hits the right post and heads back towards its resting position on top of ball 1 at the left post.
When the second ball (ball 3) is auto plunged, it bounces off ball 2 as it is coming back to the left post, knocking ball 2 back over to the right post.
Balls 1 and 3 come to a rest at left post but ball 2 comes to a rest at the right post.
Hopefully that makes sense to you.
Any tweaking tips?

#1728 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Minor problem
When trooper multi starts, 2 of the balls go to the left post and one to the right post. I will try to explain what I see happening.
The first ball (ball 2) auto plunges fine, hits the right post and heads back towards its resting position on top of ball 1 at the left post.
When the second ball (ball 3) is auto plunged, it bounces off ball 2 as it is coming back to the left post, knocking ball 2 back over to the right post.
Balls 1 and 3 come to a rest at left post but ball 2 comes to a rest at the right post.
Hopefully that makes sense to you.
Any tweaking tips?

The mylar up top might have bubbled up, slowing the balls too much so ball 2 isn't out of the way in time for ball 3. OR your playfield pitch is too shallow.

If all else fails, put the stronger coil on the auto launch.

#1729 5 years ago

No diode and my power is set to 205

Neil.

#1730 5 years ago
Quoted from Oxidus:

bought this and it solved all problems not registering the loops:
https://pu-parts.com/imd-iron-maiden-pu-upgrade-kit

Quoted from Sutol:

Me too.And it works superbly.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

How does this work? What does it do?
I looked at the pictures but can't figure out how it improves things?
Will probably buy one anyway!

Hey guys, I bought this kit and the installation doesn't look right to me (2 photos below).

The plastic seems to be covering half the opto...doesn't make sense to me. Is this how yours looked?

Any help would be appreciated. If the designer of this mod is on this thread, please help us understand the rationale of this mod...

Thanks!

IMG_1239 (resized).jpegIMG_1239 (resized).jpegIMG_1241 (resized).jpegIMG_1241 (resized).jpeg
#1731 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hey guys, I bought this kit and the installation doesn't look right to me (2 photos below).
The plastic seems to be covering half the opto...doesn't make sense to me. Is this how yours looked?
Any help would be appreciated. If the designer of this mod is on this thread, please help us understand the rationale of this mod...
Thanks![quoted image][quoted image]

I had exactly the same thoughts as this is how mine looks as well.

So, how does it work?

#1732 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I had exactly the same thoughts as this is how mine looks as well.
So, how does it work?

If I/we can't get some kind of explanation, I'm taking it off. Covering the opto just seems wrong.

#1733 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Thanks![quoted image][quoted image]

That's how mine looked when I installed it and thought it weird it covered the opto's like that, but have had no problems and registers every time. Don't know the science behind it, just know it works.

#1734 5 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

That's how mine looked when I installed it and thought it weird it covered the opto's like that, but have had no problems and registers every time. Don't know the science behind it, just know it works.

Thanks for sharing. I guess I'll finish installing them and see how it goes. Still wish whomever designed it would "weigh in" on why covering nearly half the opto is goodness Another option is too simply update the website I guess. The photos from the website don't appear to cover as much of the opto.

#1735 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If I/we can't get some kind of explanation, I'm taking it off. Covering the opto just seems wrong.

My GUESS (and only a guess) is that it focuses more of the beam to the top side of the opto because when a ball misses sensing, it's usually because it went so fast it rode up on the guide rail.

#1736 5 years ago

I don't recall having any detection issues on this though. touches wood.

#1737 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

My GUESS (and only a guess) is that it focuses more of the beam to the top side of the opto because when a ball misses sensing, it's usually because it went so fast it rode up on the guide rail.

Well this company also does playfield protectors so having one of them installed raises the ball height on the opto right away. They obviously come up with this design while testing it out I reckon.Lots of missed loops with the protector on.I have both installed and it works amazingly well.

#1738 5 years ago

No diode for sure on the replace coil solution.

#1739 5 years ago

I was having loads of problems with my auto launch and plunger. Ball was making the upper loop perhaps 10% of the time.

If been reading all sorts of complicated solutions here, and they all seemed quite finicky.

My solution was dead easy, and it took me all of about 5 minutes.

I removed the ramp. Removed the plastics.

With a nut driver ON the tightened lane guide nut, I used the side of the nut driver to torque the angle of the lane guide.

That moved the upper edge of the lane guide towards the trough.

I used a wide flat head screwdriver to fine tune the angle from the top left back side of the guide, again using the nut driver ON the nut as leverage.

EDIT-I should add that as I tweaked the guide angle, I was constantly testing the new position by full plunging a ball. My goal was to at least get it to work while the upper left flipper was in the up position. Lucky for me, I managed to nail the angle, and it is working perfectly with the flipper down or up now.

It’s now working 100%.

I will take some pictures if anybody finds this difficult to follow.

#1740 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I was having loads of problems with my auto launch and plunger. Ball was making the upper loop perhaps 10% of the time.
If been reading all sorts of complicated solutions here, and they all seemed quite finicky.
My solution was dead easy, and it took me all of about 5 minutes.
I removed the ramp. Removed the plastics.
With a nut driver ON the tightened lane guide nut, I used the side of the nut driver to torque the angle of the lane guide.
That moved the upper edge of the lane guide towards the trough.
I used a wide flat head screwdriver to fine tune the angle from the top left back side of the guide, again using the nut driver ON the nut as leverage.
It’s now working 100%.
I will take some pictures if anybody finds this difficult to follow.

Photos would be nice. When you say it's working 100%...over how many games? Whatever solution I've tried (and I've fiddled A LOT), has worked well for awhile and then gone South. The only explanation is the guide is very finicky (a fact) AND it's poorly fastened to the PF (which seems to be a theme with this game).

Clunky auto launches ruin this game for me...

#1741 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Photos would be nice. When you say it's working 100%...over how many games? Whatever solution I've tried (and I've fiddled A LOT), has worked well for awhile and then gone South. The only explanation is the guide is very finicky (a fact) AND it's poorly fastened to the PF (which seems to be a theme with this game).
Clunky auto launches ruin this game for me...

I’ve only put a few games on it since fixing it. I suppose it’s possible it could go out of alignment again.

When it wasn’t working, I didn’t really care though! That’s why it took me so long to try to solve the issue... I was having too much fun playing the game despite that feed not working correctly.

I should add that as I tweaked the guide angle, I was constantly testing the new position by full plunging a ball. My goal was to at least get it to work while the upper left flipper was in the up position. Lucky for me, I managed to nail the angle, and it is working perfectly with the flipper down or up now.

I disagree that it’s a game ruining shot though. Mostly because you are never credited with that shot from a ball launch anyway. It’s merely serving the ball in to play. Many people soft plunge too. It killed the choreography of Trooper MB start. That’s about it for me.

#1742 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I’ve only put a few games on it since fixing it. I suppose it’s possible it could go out of alignment again.
When it wasn’t working, I didn’t really care though! That’s why it took me so long to try to solve the issue... I was having too much fun playing the game despite that feed not working correctly.
I should add that as I tweaked the guide angle, I was constantly testing the new position by full plunging a ball. My goal was to at least get it to work while the upper left flipper was in the up position. Lucky for me, I managed to nail the angle, and it is working perfectly with the flipper down or up now.
I disagree that it’s a game ruining shot though. Mostly because you are never credited with that shot from a ball launch anyway. It’s merely serving the ball in to play. Many people soft plunge too. It killed the choreography of Trooper MB start. That’s about it for me.

At the moment, my manual plunge seems 100%. The auto-plunge is more random. For me, it's not just Trooper MB...it's all MB's (and as you know, this game is very generous with MB's). Having the ball auto-plunge into the left upper flipper is just clunky. Having it fly around to the upper right flipper (as designed) just gives you much better opportunity for flow, loops, etc. Just disappointing that something as basic as the shooter behavior is so error prone. I've owned a lot of games, and this game seems like it needed a couple more months of development/testing. So much tweaking.

#1743 5 years ago

My manual plunge works like 100% of the time, though I do short plunge almost all the time to try and get the secret skill shots. My auto launch works 90% of the time. The 10% it doesn't work seems to be when it auto launches a bunch for ball save on a multi ball. It's like the more it launches, the coil heats up and maybe gets weak because after I play for awhile it goes back to working since the coil has time to cool down. I might have to try the more powerful coil I've read about and see if that fixes the problem.

#1744 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

No diode and my power is set to 205
Neil.

I installed the new coil as you suggested. Big improvement. Since the default coil setting was on 255, it seems like the original coil just didn't have enough power. I have it set on 245 with the new coil and Trooper MB rocks. Will play with different settings.

Thanks for the suggestion...

#1745 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

It also greatly affects the players ability to make shots while the ball saver is active during MBs. Other balls are bricking and blocking the way up the middle, instead of being in the loop where they are supposed to be.

Ruins the start of Aces High and Rime as well, both aesthetically and strategically. On Rime, you should be able to triple big loop the auto plunged ball and have the jackpot ready before the first ball is even released to the mini flipper.

#1746 5 years ago

put the new coil... 22-600. set on 255, big improvement also! 23-700 was not enought

#1747 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I installed the new coil as you suggested. Big improvement. Since the default coil setting was on 255, it seems like the original coil just didn't have enough power. I have it set on 245 with the new coil and Trooper MB rocks. Will play with different settings.
Thanks for the suggestion...

Quoted from Redketchup:

put the new coil... 22-600. set on 255, big improvement also! 23-700 was not enought

Did you guys request any info from Stern before the change? I think the bigger coil is a fantastic idea and I am interested in what Stern said.

#1748 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Did you guys request any info from Stern before the change? I think the bigger coil is a fantastic idea and I am interested in what Stern said.

I didn't consult with Stern on changing out the coil. I've spoken to them about my shooter woes in general, and they never suggested adding a stronger coil.

I find that Stern support is more helpful for very specific requests. When it comes to fiddling with different solutions, threads like this are more helpful (to me). Changing out a coil like this is benign...worst case, it doesn't improve things (and the original coil could be put back).

#1749 5 years ago

Stern should change the design to my coil choice and put my initials on the power jackpot in the next code as a reward -> "NJM"

knowing my luck they will now make the game shout "asshat" when my initials go in

#1750 5 years ago

Good stuff

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.50
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/35?hl=foobeer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.