4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 50.
#1651 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Works great on this game. Wish old SAM systems had that adjustment. Somebody was selling a kit for awhile that would dim backbox lighting as soon as game started.

I bought one 2 of those kits for both SM and GB. They work great. Sold by Arcade Upkeep and only $65.00. I actually got them for $45.00 during their black Friday sale. Even normal price is a good deal.

#1652 5 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

I bought one 2 of those kits for both SM and GB. They work great. Sold by Arcade Upkeep and only $65.00. I actually got them for $45.00 during their black Friday sale. Even normal price is a good deal.

Good info. Thanks!!

#1653 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Works great on this game. Wish old SAM systems had that adjustment. Somebody was selling a kit for awhile that would dim backbox lighting as soon as game started.

I have where mine dims down to about 10% when you play and then goes back to 100% in attract mode. It’s in the stern settings.

#1654 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

You can turn down the backglass/translite led brightness in the settings.

Where? Need a code update?
Thanks

#1655 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Yep i did that.. mostly to just save on those LED beads.
There is a setting for game play GI bright, attract mode GI bright, and test mode GI bright. I went like 75 / 50 / 10. For the amount of current saved the brightness loss is minimal... i was kinda thinking at 100% they where pushing those LEDs hard... really bright.

I’m at 70/ 33 / 10

Bg is crazy bright at 100 and the LE glass looks much better at the lower brightness (70) and matches my other games better as well.

I also lower the controlled lamps to 75 which is plenty bright enough for the inserts. You can actually see the insert art at that brightness as well.

#1656 5 years ago

So my game has always had some issues. Same as most people, switch issues and manual/auto plunger issues and latley my ramp has been getting stuck in the up position. I was going to work on it today and decided to update to the new code. Now it seems that I have no power from node 9 CN 7. My ramp doesn’t power my up kick doesn’t power. What is really weird is that they don’t even show up in the coil tests as options. Also I my switches from node 9 CN 13 don’t register in switch test as well. This is not anything I have ever dealt with where should I start?

Should I reload the code to see if that was an issue?

Thanks, Mike

#1657 5 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

So my game has always had some issues. Same as most people, switch issues and manual/auto plunger issues and latley my ramp has been getting stuck in the up position. I was going to work on it today and decided to update to the new code. Now it seems that I have no power from node 9 CN 7. My ramp doesn’t power my up kick doesn’t power. What is really weird is that they don’t even show up in the coil tests as options. Also I my switches from node 9 CN 13 don’t register in switch test as well. This is not anything I have ever dealt with where should I start?
Should I reload the code to see if that was an issue?
Thanks, Mike

Are you sure that you didn't accidentally load the PRO code instead of the Premium/LE? I did that once (in reverse) and had some... interesting... issues until I realized my mistake.

#1658 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Are you sure that you didn't accidentally load the PRO code instead of the Premium/LE? I did that once (in reverse) and had some... interesting... issues until I realized my mistake.

Dude you the man and I am an idiot. Thanks

#1659 5 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Dude you the man and I am an idiot. Thanks

I'm glad my past stupidity has helped someone else.

#1660 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I'm glad my past stupidity has helped someone else.

It's weird that there's not a check to see what machine you're trying to update before flashing the code to prevent those mistakes.

#1661 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's weird that there's not a check to see what machine you're trying to update before flashing the code to prevent those mistakes.

Something to add to either the bug or the feature request thread?

#1662 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Something to add to either the bug or the feature request thread?

Good idea. I'll add it to the wishlist in the IM bug thread. But they're not fixing even dead simple actual bugs, so not sure if it will do any good.

#1663 5 years ago

just noticed the LE stern manual has the roll over switches in the sarcophagus tear down pictures!!! Do you think Stern changed it or ran out of roll over switches!?

#1664 5 years ago

I'm betting they were replaced with cheaper switches.

#1665 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

just noticed the LE stern manual has the roll over switches in the sarcophagus tear down pictures!!! Do you think Stern changed it or ran out of roll over switches!?

It's probably more where the regular switches worked better than the roll over type. I just checked my game and the rear switch bottoms out before the arm is all the way down, creating stress on the switch arm when the ball rolls over it - a possible point of premature failure.

Rob

#1666 5 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Make sure your playfield is level.
Make sure both your auto fire prongs are touching the ball "at rest" and at the end of its cycle.
Clean and wax your playfield prior to adjustments.
MAKE ALL ADJUSTMENTS WITH YOUR LOCKDOWN BAR ON AND LATCHED.
Trust me on this one. Bar on and off produces different results.

Here's a follow up to this fix. About a week ago, balls were hitting the upper left flipper every 8-10 launches.
Manual and auto plunges produced the same results.
Prior to this happening, all plunges were working 100%
I cleaned the playfield with Novus 1 and the balls now hit the post below the upper left flipper. I waxed the playfield and the game returned to 100%.

I would say this happened in as few as 50-75 games.
So. Before making any adjustments, clean and wax the playfield.

#1667 5 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Here's a follow up to this fix. About a week ago, balls were hitting the upper left flipper every 8-10 launches.
Manual and auto plunges produced the same results.
Prior to this happening, all plunges were working 100%
I cleaned the playfield with Novus 1 and the balls now hit the post below the upper left flipper. I waxed the playfield and the game returned to 100%.
I would say this happened in as few as 50-75 games.
So. Before making any adjustments, clean and wax the playfield.

Lockdown bars and wax aren't solutions to the shooter lane failures. I get you've worked hard on finding a solution, but no other machine I've ever owned behaved this way. Sure, it's great to attach your lockdown and wax your PF, however shot failures shouldn't depend on pristine, waxed PF's. All it tells me is the solution you've arrived at is on the hairy edge of workable and when other variables change, shots start failing again.

The shooter lane guide is flawed...on some installations the angle is causing it to fail more than other installations. Getting the angle "just right" is really tricky, but once it's right, it shouldn't be effected by minor dirt (in a HUO environment, where it's not being played 1000 times per week).

So while it's great your game is working well again, keeping it waxed isn't a general solution for the shooter lane failures many of us have dealt with.

#1668 5 years ago

Once again, my ORB captive ball was out of whack (resulting in not being able to select a song because it was registering prematurely). The mech has the revised pointy armature secured with a dab of blue loctite. Turns out the screws that secure the mech to the PF were loose (even though I tightened them 20 games ago?). I just added a couple toothpicks to secure the screws. Tested. Seems like the weight/orientation of the mech loosens the screws no matter how tight/secure they appear to be. The wood screws are tight, but without a locking mechanism, they come loose no matter how many toothpicks I add. The loctite works great for machine screws. Any tips on what might do a better job securing these wood screws? Maybe a wider screw? I've tweaked a lot of games and never encountered a mech loosening so quickly after tightening. Weird.

Image 1-17-19 at 8.50 AM (resized).jpgImage 1-17-19 at 8.50 AM (resized).jpg
#1669 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Lockdown bars and wax aren't solutions to the shooter lane failures.

I agree. However, complaining about an issue that Stern hasn't addressed/fixed yet isn't going to fix the problem either.
(Now go put the shim (not that washer I saw you install) in and wax your playfield and have some fun)

#1670 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Once again, my ORB captive ball was out of whack (resulting in not being able to select a song because it was registering prematurely). The mech has the revised pointy armature secured with a dab of blue loctite. Turns out the screws that secure the mech to the PF were loose (even though I tightened them 20 games ago?). I just added a couple toothpicks to secure the screws. Tested. Seems like the weight/orientation of the mech loosens the screws no matter how tight/secure they appear to be. The wood screws are tight, but without a locking mechanism, they come loose no matter how many toothpicks I add. The loctite works great for machine screws. Any tips on what might do a better job securing these wood screws? Maybe a wider screw? I've tweaked a lot of games and never encountered a mech loosening so quickly after tightening. Weird.
[quoted image]

I normally would use a piece of a bamboo skewer and some good wood glue in the hole. Going to a wider screw is also an option but shouldn't be necessary.

I've rebuilt completely thrashed flipper plate mounting screw holes this way and they've been solid as a rock for years afterwards.

#1671 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I normally would use a piece of a bamboo skewer and some good wood glue in the hole. Going to a wider screw is also an option but shouldn't be necessary.
I've rebuilt completely thrashed flipper plate mounting screw holes this way and they've been solid as a rock for years afterwards.

Yeah, I try to avoid glue, but in this case I think it's necessary. This is a simple example of a poor design...they should have had this mech bolted down with lock washers/nuts. Tiny wood screws just don't work for this mech. Loosening after hundreds of plays wouldn't be so bad, but this is loosening after 20-30 plays. Unacceptable.

Thanks for the help!

#1672 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Yeah, I try to avoid glue, but in this case I think it's necessary. This is a simple example of a poor design...they should have had this mech bolted down with lock washers/nuts. Tiny wood screws just don't work for this mech. Loosening after hundreds of plays wouldn't be so bad, but this is loosening after 20-30 plays. Unacceptable.
Thanks for the help!

No reason at all to avoid wood glue in this circumstance.

Agree this mech should have used been machine screws through the PF. Situation isn't helped by people having to remove them to fix them somewhat frequently.

#1673 5 years ago

So i was trying to install a shim to fix the autolaunch issue and i succeeded in losing the two screws to the top plastic on my Premium. Any idea what the specs are for these tiny screws? I am just hoping they fell somewhere where they will stay and not fall onto the playfield (99% sure that is the case as I have looked everywhere for them)

#1674 5 years ago

just find when i play the mode 2 minutes to midnigth supposed to be all the score you make on each mode but they no give you the score you make example fear of the dark you make 32,000,00 points but they just give you 2,800,00 point

#1675 5 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

So i was trying to install a shim to fix the autolaunch issue and i succeeded in losing the two screws to the top plastic on my Premium. Any idea what the specs are for these tiny screws? I am just hoping they fell somewhere where they will stay and not fall onto the playfield (99% sure that is the case as I have looked everywhere for them)

Nevermind. I found them!

#1676 5 years ago
Quoted from benys13:

just find when i play the mode 2 minutes to midnigth supposed to be all the score you make on each mode but they no give you the score you make example fear of the dark you make 32,000,00 points but they just give you 2,800,00 point

It changes depending on the exchange rate.

#1677 5 years ago

whow vireland thx for your very smart answer i sure silverball is biger that your brain

#1678 5 years ago
Quoted from benys13:

whow vireland thx for your very smart answer

Don't encourage me.

#1679 5 years ago

Man, I hate when that happens. No idea on the screw spec, but one tip...no need to remove the top plastic to fiddle with autolaunch. The less screw removal, the better...

#1680 5 years ago

Another place for a ball hang up

20190120_191020 (resized).jpg20190120_191020 (resized).jpg20190120_191056 (resized).jpg20190120_191056 (resized).jpg
#1681 5 years ago

Sorry if this has been brought up before but i noticed that sometimes when i shoot a loop shot with my right upper flipper that it isn’t registering. Anyone else had this problem? bad opto maybe?

#1682 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Sorry if this has been brought up before but i noticed that sometimes when i shoot a loop shot with my right upper flipper that it isn’t registering. Anyone else had this problem? bad opto maybe?

It's been brought up before. Ball is likely moving too fast for the opto to register. There is a fix, but I don't have a link. It just involves adjusting the opto, if I remember right.

Edit: Found a post talking about it with a suggested fix. Key post index updated with a link.

#1683 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's been brought up before. Ball is likely moving too fast for the opto to register. There is a fix, but I don't have a link. It just involves adjusting the opto, if I remember right.

I thought I read that someone made some spacers (or something to that effect) to raise the opto upwards where it registered better. I don't own an IM, but I've been trying to keep track of issues and fixes, as I really want to get one (possibly this year).

#1684 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Edit: Found a post talking about it with a suggested fix. Key post index updated with a link.

Thank you Vireland!

#1685 5 years ago

bought this and it solved all problems not registering the loops:
https://pu-parts.com/imd-iron-maiden-pu-upgrade-kit

#1686 5 years ago
Quoted from Oxidus:

Me too.And it works superbly.

#1687 5 years ago
Quoted from Oxidus:

How does this work? What does it do?

I looked at the pictures but can't figure out how it improves things?

Will probably buy one anyway!

#1688 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

There's dimming modules for Stern SAM from Arcade Upkeep - i'm using them in 4 SAM games, and 1 WhiteStar.
Seriously great bit of kit if you don't mind building your own backbox light panel.

http://www.arcadeupkeep.com/backbox-kits/4587457160

#1689 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

How does this work? What does it do?
I looked at the pictures but can't figure out how it improves things?
Will probably buy one anyway!

I think it raises the opto receivers to read fast balls that were otherwise missed. It works. Kit also includes a ball trap plastic for right side of game. Mine is a later game and had a post installed.

#1690 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Man, I hate when that happens. No idea on the screw spec, but one tip...no need to remove the top plastic to fiddle with autolaunch. The less screw removal, the better...

So which screws specifically should I remove? This is my first pin and if I go to adjust the autolaunch again I want to have a better plan as it seemed like way more work than I anticipated (especially with screws falling all over the place).

#1691 5 years ago

So which screws specifically should I remove? This is my first pin and if I go to adjust the autolaunch again I want to have a better plan as it seemed like way more work than I anticipated (especially with screws falling all over the place).

You need to remove the ramp. Then remove the post the ramp rests on. Then remove the lock nut closest to the shooter exit.

Since this is your first pin and you don't have much experience, I'm afraid adjusting the shooter is not a great intro. I've been doing this for a long time and I can tell you that "dialing in" the shooter was one of the more frustrating tweaks I've made in quite awhile. A bit traumatizing

I suggest contacting Stern support for help, especially if this was a NIB purchase!

#1692 5 years ago

Just cleaned and waxed my playfield - have about 500 games on this and it didn't look like it needed cleaning.

Now my auto plunge is perfect again !
No need to lift the left upper flipper, ball goes smooth underneath it and all balls lock for multiball (before at least one wouldn't make it).
So before tryjng all the adjusting, wax the playfield.. makes a huge difference.

#1693 5 years ago

Played a couple IMDN's in the wild recently and both the manual and auto-plunge failed a majority of the time. Sad.

For those games that aren't fixed by cleaning/waxing, I urge you to contact Stern support. Stern makes business decisions on what to fix based on direct customer complaints.

#1694 5 years ago

I've had the ball get stuck up here a few times now. You can shake it loose but not without tilting.

20190122_172714 (resized).jpg20190122_172714 (resized).jpg
#1695 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I've had the ball get stuck up here a few times now. You can shake it loose but not without tilting.
[quoted image]

I'd stick a small post rubber on that hex post the ball is resting against. Shouldn't get stuck there again.

#1696 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'd stick a small post rubber on that hex post the ball is resting against. Shouldn't get stuck there again.

I thought you had the right idea but looking closer, the ball doesnt actually make it to the post. It gets hung up where the 2 pieces of sheet metal meet at an angle. The hex is actually too far away for a rubber to help but I think you are on the right track and I'm going to do some macguyverìng
20190122_232926 (resized).jpg20190122_232926 (resized).jpg

#1697 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Had the same problem. Its the plastic tie they used for the cable on the post.you just need to raise it up the post and turn it to the smooth side. Not had a single hang up since.
20190123_053142 (resized).jpg20190123_053142 (resized).jpg

#1698 5 years ago
Quoted from Sutol:

Had the same problem. Its the plastic tie they used for the cable on the post.you just need to raise it up the post and turn it to the smooth side. Not had a single hang up since.
[quoted image]

Intersting. I have this problem quit frequently as well, will have to look for the tie.

#1699 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Played a couple IMDN's in the wild recently and both the manual and auto-plunge failed a majority of the time. Sad.
For those games that aren't fixed by cleaning/waxing, I urge you to contact Stern support. Stern makes business decisions on what to fix based on direct customer complaints.

I hope this proves to be true for us. Last time I called I wasn't told this exactly--but in so many words---that they were kind of hoping Keith was gonna figure out how to make this work better. His game, I guess that seems fair. There has to be a better fix for this and the newton ball actuating.

#1700 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's been discussed. I the cases I saw discussed it was a wireform issue and they got it replaced under warranty by Stern.

Called Stern today and spoke with Dave in tech support. I believe was his name and told him that the balls were flying off the wire form actually on each side maybe more on the left. He says he hasn't heard of that problem but to send some pictures of the wire form where they drop the ball in the lane. So my question is this. Is this something that's been a problem on some machines and do they replace the wire form. Also this is a good reason not to have mods on the machine until you get things worked out because I would imagine if somebody takes pictures with mods that might be an excuse for them to ignore the problem. Things like plastic protectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 63.95
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/34?hl=supersquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.