4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 50.
#1551 5 years ago

Stern didn't do a good job engineering this game. Was it 1,500 posts bad, no. Did the early buyers have it a lot worse than the late buyers, yes.

Still, all this launch stuff is not a big deal.

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Over 1500 posts about issues tells me there ARE issues.

#1552 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I had complete success with the shim mod. 100 percent fail to 99.9 percent success. .01 percent fail is the kids not pulling the plunger all the way

Ya. The shim mod kicks ass. After 100 games, and having the playfield lifted/lowered about 6 times, this is still working 100% for me.
God bless the guy who came up with that one.

#1553 5 years ago

I have more trouble with the manual plunge, the auto plunge works 9 times out of 10 from factory.

#1554 5 years ago

All right, team: I’m having the Orb issue. Could someone please point me to a post with the fix? I know I’ve read it, but want familiar enough with the game at the time.

It just won’t register - if I manually move the captive ball back and forth, yes it works, but it never triggers during a game. So... ?

#1555 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I have more trouble with the manual plunge, the auto plunge works 9 times out of 10 from factory.

I was starting to have the same problem. Took a look today and the rubber tip on the plunger wasn't straight. It was a little crooked and would not hit the ball dead center all the time. Adjusted the rubber tip to be straight, and now it works again.

#1556 5 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

I was starting to have the same problem. Took a look today and the rubber tip on the plunger wasn't straight. It was a little crooked and would not hit the ball dead center all the time. Adjusted the rubber tip to be straight, and now it works again

My rubber tip is straight but i think the assembly needs a shufty to the left, waiting on some Cliffys yet so i can do all at once.
Merry Maiden Christmas ALL!!
A quick story.... My bro and i have been playing all the pins and also some pool in between most of the afternoon...first press of the button on the Maiden and the machine comes out with DIRTY POOOLLLL. Well played machine, well played

#1557 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All right, team: I’m having the Orb issue. Could someone please point me to a post with the fix? I know I’ve read it, but want familiar enough with the game at the time.
It just won’t register - if I manually move the captive ball back and forth, yes it works, but it never triggers during a game. So... ?

Have a browse through the topic gallery, or key posts at the top of page, this will quickly point you the the numerous posts about the crud mech.

#1558 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

first press of the button on the Maiden and the machine comes out with DIRTY POOOLLLL. Well played machine, well played

It also says Showtime!!

#1559 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

honestly there is no fix. its just a turd. you have to fiddle adjust the thing until you get it working - blue thread lock helps.

#1560 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Have a browse through the topic gallery, or key posts at the top of page, this will quickly point you the the numerous posts about the crud mech.

Geez, I could have sworn I did that. Must have been in the Owner's thread. Thanks!!

#1561 5 years ago

Hey all! My friend has a IM premium. The biggest issue we are having is the left flipper getting stuck in the upwards position. Weve checked the eos switch and it seems to be gapped ok. Once the flipper got stuck we powered off the machine, and the flipper remained in the stuck position. So this means its mechanical? Has anyone else experienced this or maybe can point us in the right direction?

#1562 5 years ago
Quoted from KingHebes:

Hey all! My friend has a IM premium. The biggest issue we are having is the left flipper getting stuck in the upwards position. Weve checked the eos switch and it seems to be gapped ok. Once the flipper got stuck we powered off the machine, and the flipper remained in the stuck position. So this means its mechanical? Has anyone else experienced this or maybe can point us in the right direction?

Take the flipper apart. The sleeve, coil stop or plunger is causing binding. Just need to make sure it moves smoothly like the right flipper.

New coil stops can crap out quick.

#1563 5 years ago

I just noticed that both my left flippers seem to be firing at the same time and are not staggered as I would expect. Anyone else experience this? Best way to adjust if this is not the preferred method of operation? Thanks.

#1564 5 years ago

They should fire together

#1565 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I just noticed that both my left flippers seem to be firing at the same time and are not staggered as I would expect. Anyone else experience this? Best way to adjust if this is not the preferred method of operation? Thanks.

Not sure if two switches are used, but adjust them to your liking. They should stage like other double flipper setups.

#1566 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Same, although my manual used to work. It now hits the post. What is the shim mod? Is that for the manual plunge? Could my spring have just gotten a bit worn?

#1567 5 years ago

Uh oh, I got two different opinions on the left flippers firing together. Anyone have a tie-breaking opinion based on how their game is set up? I'm not sure if mine was like this the entire time I've had it, or if it something that changed over time.

#1568 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Uh oh, I got two different opinions on the left flippers firing together. Anyone have a tie-breaking opinion based on how their game is set up? I'm not sure if mine was like this the entire time I've had it, or if it something that changed over time.

Hey Billy,

Correct staging should be same a right,
There are 2 leafs, compare how they are set.

Light press lower flippers only, full press upper flippers and lower flippers.

#1569 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Same, although my manual used to work. It now hits the post. What is the shim mod? Is that for the manual plunge? Could my spring have just gotten a bit worn?

See key posts at top of page

I kinda like it, Makes sense , the new metal guides are way thin, too much flex, Thanks Hank. I will be trying this when I get a new kicker.

#1570 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Yep same spot. Check your switch height. It’s probably set too high. Can Brick the ball

Can someone share how to do this? I am not exactly sure how to get to it and what exactly to look for. Any help appreciated.

Thanjs
Pat

#1571 5 years ago

I’m not at the game right now but I’ll do my best to explain. Pull your playfield up and out to where the rails are resting on the front of the cabinet. There should be two rubber round mounts where the rails sit on the lock bar receiver. Next behind the backstop, where the handle is to pickup on the back of the playfield on the left side where the ball goes behind the backstop is a big white oval bubble attached to the back of the backstop with 6 1/4 inch nut driver screws. Remove those and the bubble can be removed giving you access to the inside where the switch arm sticks up and that’s where the ball rolls over it. The problem most likely is the switch arm is sticking up too high in the bubble allowing the ball to have a hard time pushing it down to get past and arrive at the gate. With a small pair of needle nose pliers I grip the part of the switch that bends up to the highest point and I give it a slight bend down so that the point of the switch in the bubble isn’t so high, but high enough that the switch registers and you hear the click of the switch when you roll a ball over it. Also make sure when you push down on the switch arm that it pushes down very easily. If not the screws that hold the switch on could be too tight and cause the switch not to be as featherlike to operate. Hopefully my description will help you

#1572 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Hey Billy,
Correct staging should be same a right,
There are 2 leafs, compare how they are set.
Light press lower flippers only, full press upper flippers and lower flippers.

Thanks, I'll get it adjusted correctly!

#1573 5 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

OK. After this fix, I went 50 for 50 on the auto plunge and had two perfect games with the auto fire working the way it was designed. I've tried every fix mentioned here and spent dozens of hours tweaking this.
Here's what (for now) finally worked.
Make sure your playfield is level.
Make sure both your auto fire prongs are touching the ball "at rest" and at the end of its cycle.
Clean and wax your playfield prior to adjustments.
MAKE ALL ADJUSTMENTS WITH YOUR LOCKDOWN BAR ON AND LATCHED.
Trust me on this one. Bar on and off produces different results.
1. I loosed the nut under the playfield that holds the top of the rail down.
2. I loosened the hex nut that adjusts the rail.
3. I inserted a plastic wedge to (slightly) move the rail more towards the playfield.
4. I adjusted the angle of the ball's trajectory with the wedge.
Pushing the wedge (down) towards the player moved the trajectory up towards the left mini flipper, while moving the wedge (up) away from the player moved the trajectory towards the rubber post.
5. After final adjustments, i'd say both screws on my machine are not loose, but they're also not snug. Tightening the nut under the playfield AND the hex screw at the end of the rail tight (like you'd expect) returned the game to erratic auto firing.
6. My final adjustments were with the wedge. I spent two hours yesterday and three hours today coming up with this "why does this work" fix.
If you're having problems, give it a try. Hopefully it'll work for you too.
[quoted image]

Thanks for sharing all your experience with this issue. My shooter was working well until the 150th play or so and then started to misbehave "big time". Given all the MB's that depend on auto-launch working, this is a pretty major problem for this particular game layout.

Here's what I did that seems to improve the auto-launch behavior for me:

- The shooter guide screw closest to the gate has "play" to dial it in. After loosening the nut under the PF, I was able to move it away from the post ~1/8". I then tightened both screws.

- My left loop ball guide was loose. I tightened all 3 screws which had the effect of moving the guide 1/8" closer to the post in back of it (which gives the ball more room to roam).

- I dialed the Auto Plunger Power down from 255 (the max) => 245.

From my perspective, any approach that avoids tightening screws isn't optimal. Since my auto-launch worked nearly flawlessly for 150 games, it's clear that screws/nuts loosening up led to my game regressing in this regard.

I still have some issues with manual launch, however that's undoubtedly different and related to where the plunger is striking the ball (which seems off ever so slightly).

snaroff
IMG_1056 (resized).jpegIMG_1056 (resized).jpegIMG_1057 (resized).jpegIMG_1057 (resized).jpegIMG_1058 (resized).jpegIMG_1058 (resized).jpegIMG_1062 (resized).jpegIMG_1062 (resized).jpeg

#1574 5 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Ya. The shim mod kicks ass. After 100 games, and having the playfield lifted/lowered about 6 times, this is still working 100% for me.
God bless the guy who came up with that one.

I can concur that adding the plastic shim makes the auto plunge a lot more consistent!

My game went from approx. 70% accurate to 95% by adding the shim.

Well done!

#1575 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I’m not at the game right now but I’ll do my best to explain. Pull your playfield up and out to where the rails are resting on the front of the cabinet. There should be two rubber round mounts where the rails sit on the lock bar receiver. Next behind the backstop, where the handle is to pickup on the back of the playfield on the left side where the ball goes behind the backstop is a big white oval bubble attached to the back of the backstop with 6 1/4 inch nut driver screws. Remove those and the bubble can be removed giving you access to the inside where the switch arm sticks up and that’s where the ball rolls over it. The problem most likely is the switch arm is sticking up too high in the bubble allowing the ball to have a hard time pushing it down to get past and arrive at the gate. With a small pair of needle nose pliers I grip the part of the switch that bends up to the highest point and I give it a slight bend down so that the point of the switch in the bubble isn’t so high, but high enough that the switch registers and you hear the click of the switch when you roll a ball over it. Also make sure when you push down on the switch arm that it pushes down very easily. If not the screws that hold the switch on could be too tight and cause the switch not to be as featherlike to operate. Hopefully my description will help you

Thanks! I’ll check it out!

#1576 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I can concur that adding the plastic shim makes the auto plunge a lot more consistent!
My game went from approx. 70% accurate to 95% by adding the shim.
Well done!

I don't understand why you'd add a shim if there's an adjustment built into the shooter lane guide...see my post above.

Nothing against adding a shim, but less-is-more when it comes to tweaking stuff like this (especially if it allows you to fully tighten the screws).

In any event, I'm hoping that Stern folks will be able to advise me on further tweaks. On this title, getting auto-launch to work close to 100% is important (with all the MB's, etc.).

snaroff

#1577 5 years ago

I think every machine is different. On my pro, I tried the shim fix figuring it would keep the guide in place and not let it move, but it actually made it worse. It would not fire correctly 100% of the time. Took the shim out and did the washer fix. Put the washer under the end of the shooter guide where the screw is, I actually put 2 washers there, and now it works 99%. Manual was shooting off, but it was because of where the rubber tip was hitting the ball. Adjusted that to hit center, and now it works 100%.

#1578 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I don't understand why you'd add a shim if there's an adjustment built into the shooter lane guide...see my post above.
Nothing against adding a shim, but less-is-more when it comes to tweaking stuff like this (especially if it allows you to fully tighten the screws).
In any event, I'm hoping that Stern folks will be able to advise me on further tweaks. On this title, getting auto-launch to work close to 100% is important (with all the MB's, etc.).
snaroff

Experience has shown that simply adjusting the screws doesn't work. On the other hand, adding the shim seems to.

I can only guess that the metal guiderail is too thin or doesn't have enought support posts and flexes a bit which may prevent the ball from "sticking" to it in a manner that always for a consistent exit off of it. With the shim the ball contacts the guiderail "early" and hugs it until the exit. Without it it's either not contacting the rail until a bit further down the lane or possibly bouncing off of it slightly causing "turbulence". Just a hypothetical on my part but enough people have tried enough difference things and this is the first one I've tried personally that really seems to make a difference.

#1579 5 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

I think every machine is different. On my pro, I tried the shim fix figuring it would keep the guide in place and not let it move, but it actually made it worse. It would not fire correctly 100% of the time. Took the shim out and did the washer fix. Put the washer under the end of the shooter guide where the screw is, I actually put 2 washers there, and now it works 99%. Manual was shooting of, but it was because of where the rubber tip was hitting the ball. Adjusted that to hit center, and now it works %.

Do you have a photo or link to a post? I'd like to see what you did here...

snaroff

#1580 5 years ago

Could someone explain the shim and washer mods to me, or hit me with a link, thanks

#1581 5 years ago
Quoted from Huggers:

Could someone explain the shim and washer mods to me, or hit me with a link, thanks

Shim mod here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/30#post-4726439

My solution above. Waiting for a link to the washer mod...

snaroff

#1582 5 years ago
Quoted from x-rug-x:

My fix to making the loop consistently
Like many, perhaps all users, my pin was able to make the loop 100% out of the box with both the auto-launch and the manual. Then mysteriously over time (about 4 weeks) the auto-launch would miss 1/20,1/10 and eventually 19/20, but for whatever reason manual would still work. It was consistently hitting the post right below the loop (low). I was sure the auto-launch mech was to blame and I focused on that. I eventually made it so both the auto-launch and the manual would hit low (but I never touched the manual launch). but as it turns out the auto-launch wasn't the problem.
I saw other guides that mentioned bending the right-side guide rail to solve this problem, but I really didn't want to do that (I didn't like the idea of bending something that didn't seem like it needed bending). Plus, it seemed like this solution was susceptible to wax, cleanings, or even strange looks. Regardless, after exhausting all possible adjustments to the manual/auto-launch mech, I started down the bending the guide path. What I noticed was that as I removed the end screw the guide, the end lifted up and became more vertical (closer to perpendicular to the playfield). I tried a shot with the rail in this position, made the loop instantly. Tried a few more. Perfect, just like day 1. I found a washer that was the size of the gap and tightened it down. It hasn't missed a shot yet. The guide is not 100% perpendicular, but it is the natural position the rail wants to be in as opposed to being torqued down.
Simulated view looking at the far end of the right-side rail.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
This might require re-adjustment too over time, it's too early to tell. Good luck, and let me know if this works for anyone else!

Here is the washer mod

#1583 5 years ago

Thanks guys

#1584 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Experience has shown that simply adjusting the screws doesn't work. On the other hand, adding the shim seems to.

My experience with adjusting the *adjustable* screw in my photo works really well for me or I wouldn't have posted it! My ONLY problem with the shim solution is it relies on not tightening screws, which makes no sense to me (since my game worked flawlessly for 150 games before regressing). For me, a long-term solution needs to depend on screws that are fully fastened.

snaroff

#1585 5 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

Here is the washer mod

Didn't post correctly?

#1586 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Didn't post correctly?

Got it...sorry.

#1587 5 years ago

Just click on the quoted section and it will take you right to the post.

#1588 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

My experience with adjusting the *adjustable* screw in my photo works really well for me or I wouldn't have posted it! My ONLY problem with the shim solution is it relies on not tightening screws, which makes no sense to me (since my game worked flawlessly for 150 games before regressing). For me, a long-term solution needs to depend on screws that are fully fastened.
snaroff

I messed around with the adding a washer (my rail seemed straight anyway), adjusting the guide position, and a bunch with the auto launch mech itself (as I posted earlier in this thread) and nothing really helped until I added the shim. Previously to that the ball would sometimes hit the lower post or the upper flipper tip, so it wasn't failing in a reliable way that I could adjust for.

My guide posts are snug but not cranked down. I suspect that over-tighening them tilts the rail a bit that causes issues. They do have lock nuts on them so it's not like they are going to fall off, but only longer term testing will show if there is an issue due to the snug-but-not-tight nuts.

#1589 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I messed around with the adding a washer (my rail seemed straight anyway), adjusting the guide position, and a bunch with the auto launch mech itself (as I posted earlier in this thread) and nothing really helped until I added the shim. Previously to that the ball would sometimes hit the lower post or the upper flipper tip, so it wasn't failing in a reliable way that I could adjust for.
My guide posts are snug but not cranked down. I suspect that over-tighening them tilts the rail a bit that causes issues. They do have lock nuts on them so it's not like they are going to fall off, but only longer term testing will show if there is an issue due to the snug-but-not-tight nuts.

I see. I appreciate the background. Wow...can't believe how subtle this one is. Seems like some folks got new guides from Stern that helped? If so, variance in parts might explain why all of us are seeing slightly different behavior. I've fiddled with a lot of games and don't recall a tweak being so elusive...

snaroff

#1590 5 years ago

Adjusting the upper rail and prongs on the autoplunger mechanism have done the trick for the last six months on my machine.

#1591 5 years ago

Has anyone had their flippers go dead in a game? It happened twice last night. On ball one and three, ultimately ending both balls. I didn’t tilt the game or at least it didn’t say tilt and I had no tilt warnings.
I am still running original cod as I can’t load new code onto a flash drive, not sure if it’s my computer or flash drive, I need to figure that out

#1592 5 years ago

Reseat the connectors on the ball trough

#1593 5 years ago
Quoted from Huggers:

Key post index at the top of every page has a link to the shim method.

#1594 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Has anyone had their flippers go dead in a game? It happened twice last night. On ball one and three, ultimately ending both balls. I didn’t tilt the game or at least it didn’t say tilt and I had no tilt warnings.
I am still running original cod as I can’t load new code onto a flash drive, not sure if it’s my computer or flash drive, I need to figure that out

Your ball trough connectors to the opto(s) are flaky. You may need to take the connector off and widen the prongs so the connector stays on more snugly.

#1595 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I see. I appreciate the background. Wow...can't believe how subtle this one is. Seems like some folks got new guides from Stern that helped? If so, variance in parts miiight explain why all of us are seeing slightly different behavior. I've fiddled with a lot of games and don't recall a tweak being so elusive...
snaroff

Yeah it’s finicky. Though on most games the tolerances for auto launch consistency are much higher. It’s really sweet having a working auto launch on this game.

#1597 5 years ago

I’m sure this has been talked about in this thread, but does anyone have issues when they make the sarcophagus shot, and then when it’s wrapping behind the game, it gets stuck in that subway? Do I have to take the whole damn thing apart and adjust something?
And my auto plunge is like 98% without ever doing anything to it, so I won’t be playing with that anytime soon, so I guess I totally lucked out.

#1598 5 years ago
Quoted from bowz:

I’m sure this has been talked about in this thread, but does anyone have issues when they make the sarcophagus shot, and then when it’s wrapping behind the game, it gets stuck in that subway? Do I have to take the whole damn thing apart and adjust something?
And my auto plunge is like 98% without ever doing anything to it, so I won’t be playing with that anytime soon, so I guess I totally lucked out.

Taking the subway off isn't that big a deal...just a little awkward (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-maiden-sarcophagus#post-4685240).

My auto plunge was great until I hit ~150 plays and then regressed...you aren't out of the woods!

snaroff

#1599 5 years ago

Six things you can guarantee in life. Death, taxes, auto plunge issues, orb captive ball issues, mummy captive ball issues, sarcophagus issues. If you haven’t had them you will.

#1600 5 years ago

I reset the entire guide and auto-plunge seems dialed in now with the following gap/orientation relative to the post. My manual plunge is still wonky...I've tried to adjust the manual plunge before without any success. Is the manual plunger adjustable? Any tips would be appreciated.

snaroff

IMG_1073 (resized).jpegIMG_1073 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 85.00
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 64.99
There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/32?hl=dts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.