4C51404F-115B-428C-8EC6-B1927E1912B1 (resized).jpeg
3DCFD17E-B5F2-432A-B8D0-C05957F26886 (resized).jpeg
9A44FEB2-569A-4FD7-959E-2B1D6136A020 (resized).jpeg
IM PREM sarcophagas (resized).png
C12F9CF4-563B-4F9E-B72A-02CAC59DDD64 (resized).jpeg
20210203_131209 (resized).jpg
nodes (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 50.
#1451 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

So unlike some others on here, my auto launcher was shooting around the loop 100%. I then put Titan bands on all the flippers and now it hits the little flipper and only succeeds about 75% of the time. Are Titan bands thicker than the black bands that came with the game or is it more likely that I moved the positioning on the flipper? I'm thinking about swapping the single flipper back, but it was a bug bear to get on and the color will be off from the others.

That's pretty strange. I'd say you more likely moved the PF. You'd be talking 1mm max difference, and your ball would have been hitting it way more if it was only missing by 1mm. Try cleaning the PF. When mine starts screwing up, a good cleaning fixes my issues.

#1452 5 years ago

OK. After this fix, I went 50 for 50 on the auto plunge and had two perfect games with the auto fire working the way it was designed. I've tried every fix mentioned here and spent dozens of hours tweaking this.
Here's what (for now) finally worked.

Make sure your playfield is level.
Make sure both your auto fire prongs are touching the ball "at rest" and at the end of its cycle.
Clean and wax your playfield prior to adjustments.
MAKE ALL ADJUSTMENTS WITH YOUR LOCKDOWN BAR ON AND LATCHED.
Trust me on this one. Bar on and off produces different results.

1. I loosed the nut under the playfield that holds the top of the rail down.
2. I loosened the hex nut that adjusts the rail.
3. I inserted a plastic wedge to (slightly) move the rail more towards the playfield.
4. I adjusted the angle of the ball's trajectory with the wedge.
Pushing the wedge (down) towards the player moved the trajectory up towards the left mini flipper, while moving the wedge (up) away from the player moved the trajectory towards the rubber post.
5. After final adjustments, i'd say both screws on my machine are not loose, but they're also not snug. Tightening the nut under the playfield AND the hex screw at the end of the rail tight (like you'd expect) returned the game to erratic auto firing.
6. My final adjustments were with the wedge. I spent two hours yesterday and three hours today coming up with this "why does this work" fix.

If you're having problems, give it a try. Hopefully it'll work for you too.

IMG_2364 (resized).JPGIMG_2364 (resized).JPG
#1453 5 years ago

Anyone ever have the problem where the game automatically chooses a song and the tomb opens at the start of the game?

#1454 5 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Anyone ever have the problem where the game automatically chooses a song and the tomb opens at the start of the game?

Mummy newton is gapped too close mostl likely. Vibrations are actuating it twice quick and opening the tomb. This would pick your song and eliminate all skill shots. Newton may be sticking as well. Check the mech.

#1455 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Mummy newton is gapped too close mostl likely. Vibrations are actuating it twice quick and opening the tomb. This would pick your song and eliminate all skill shots. Newton may be sticking as well. Check the mech.

Thank you

#1456 5 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

That's the random Satan's Bitch mode. Elwin is a genius.

#1457 5 years ago

The rubber sleeve on my Trooper MB diverter post creeps up every 10 games or so, resulting in stuck balls and annoying searches/tilts from trying to free the ball. Anyone else having this problem? I've had MANY games with posts and never had this happen. Before I contact Chas, wanted to see if there are any solutions folks have been implementing.

Thanks,

snaroff

IMG_0947 (resized).jpegIMG_0947 (resized).jpeg
#1458 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The rubber sleeve on my Trooper MB diverter post creeps up every 10 games or so, resulting in stuck balls and annoying searches/tilts from trying to free the ball. Anyone else having this problem? I've had MANY games with posts and never had this happen. Before I contact Chas, wanted to see if there are any solutions folks have been implementing.
Thanks,
snaroff
[quoted image]

this doesn't happen on mine, but I'm assuming it must be catching on the hole a tiny bit. You may be able to just readjust the post and center it better

#1459 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

this doesn't happen on mine, but I'm assuming it must be catching on the hole a tiny bit. You may be able to just readjust the post and center it better

Thanks for the tip/response. That's what I was thinking as well. No adjustment to center the post, but I bent the bracket and seemed to improve it. The mech does have an adjustment for the post height. I raised it 1/8", so the ball is unable to rest in the hole (which it was doing, ever so slightly).

Man, this game is temperamental....

snaroff

#1460 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Thanks for the tip/response. That's what I was thinking as well. No adjustment to center the post, but I bent the bracket and seemed to improve it. The mech does have an adjustment for the post height. I raised it 1/8", so the ball is unable to rest in the hole (which it was doing, ever so slightly).
Man, this game is temperamental....
snaroff

good! Much easier fix than the damn auto-fire.

#1461 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

good! Much easier fix than the damn auto-fire.

Yep...fortunately, the auto-fire works great on my example. My only remaining issue is my mummy captive ball is still wonky. I replaced the armature & adjusted the switch, but the ball itself seems to catch (which requires hitting it to reset).

snaroff

#1462 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Yep...fortunately, the auto-fire works great on my example. My only remaining issue is my mummy captive ball is still wonky. I replaced the armature & adjusted the switch, but the ball itself seems to catch (which requires hitting it to reset).
snaroff

Ooh that does suck. Mine is having an issue with balls repeatedly getting trapped while the sarcophagus lock is moving. This has happened about 8 times now. I immediately pull the glass so nothing bad happens but it is hard with that lock bar.

#1463 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Thanks,
snaroff
[quoted image]

Had this issue, found an easy fix.

Remove the rubber from the metal post, place some electrical tape on the metal, re-attach rubber with a nice snug fit. Make sure that you don't invert the rubber, it is tapered and will cause problems if changed.

#1464 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Had this issue, found an easy fix.
Remove the rubber from the metal post, place some electrical tape on the metal, re-attach rubber with a nice snug fit. Make sure that you don't invert the rubber, it is tapered and will cause problems if changed.

Great idea. I've solved a lot of problems with electrical tape over the years, but it didn't occur to me for this issue. Thanks!

snaroff

#1465 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

snaroff

If the newton ball isn't centering properly, unscrew the spring retaining collar (8) slightly. Loosen (4) first and start with about 1/2 turn on (8).

Rob

ggg (resized).jpgggg (resized).jpg

#1466 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

If the newton ball isn't centering properly, unscrew the spring retaining collar (8) slightly. Loosen (4) first and start with about 1/2 turn on (8).
Rob
[quoted image]

Thanks for the tip. Man, getting ahold of the newton ball to adjust (8) is a PITA. For me, loosening it seemed to make it a bit worse. I was able to tighten it a bit and it's working pretty well. It was never awful, but does seem dialed in. Considering the mech, I imagine 98% success is good enough

snaroff

#1467 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Thanks for the tip. Man, getting ahold of the newton ball to adjust (8) is a PITA. For me, loosening it seemed to make it a bit worse. I was able to tighten it a bit and it's working pretty well. It was never awful, but does seem dialed in. Considering the mech, I imagine 98% success is good enough
snaroff

98% is a dream come true.

#1468 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob
[quoted image]

Thanks Rob,

I must reiterate, please all, excuse me for continuosly going on about this junk mech.

take a look at the exploded view provided from Rob , simply unacceptable in today's day and age

Just a huge waste of materials added to the BoM, Additionally the wasted labor required for assembly,

What happened to the proximity sensors ? even the simple NB ass'y from Met is way better.

The worst part is the headaches this mech is causing owners and distributors.

As a pinball tech at a technical level, there is NO way this mech can be reliable !

I never want to see this rubbish again, you are better than this Stern Pinball.

There has never been a worse newton ball.

I ask Stern to come up with a proper solution.

#1469 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Thanks Rob,
I must reiterate, please all, excuse me for continuosly going on about this junk mech.
take a look at the exploded view provided from Rob , simply unacceptable in today's day and age
Just a huge waste of materials added to the BoM
As a pinball tech at a technical level, there is NO way this mech can be reliable !

No reason to excuse you RA because you're speaking the truth. It is a poor design plain and simple. Its not a question of if its going to need worked on and adjusted, its when. Stern knew it was a bad design before it ever left the factory, thats what pisses me off more than anything about it.

#1470 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Thanks Rob,
Just a huge waste of materials added to the BoM

Truth! Every time I fiddle with this mech it's frustrating. I've owned 40-50 machines and have fixed/tweaked a lot of mechs and this is among the worst (the most arcane/complex/ornate implementation of a simple feature). I realize Keith was the new guy on the block, but you'd think Stern would have given him the "A team" to polish the Premium/LE (since the design of the game was largely accomplished outside Stern).

Do you think there is ANY chance Stern comes up with a proper solution? That would be great, but out of character for them...

snaroff

#1471 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Truth! Every time I fiddle with this mech it's frustrating. I've owned 40-50 machines and have fixed/tweaked a lot of mechs and this is among the worst (the most arcane/complex/ornate implementation of a simple feature). I realize Keith was the new guy on the block, but you'd think Stern would have given him the "A team" to polish the Premium/LE (since the design of the game was largely accomplished outside Stern).
Do you think there is ANY chance Stern comes up with a proper solution? That would be great, but out of character for them...
snaroff

It was the mechanical engineer’s first pinball project as well.

Agree this is going to be an ongoing problem. You simply couldn’t consider routing a prem or le of this game with these mechs.

Mine have been pretty good but considering the relatively low plays my game gets vs a routed game...

#1472 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Do you think there is ANY chance Stern comes up with a proper solution?

Pray it doesn't get a Game of Thrones-type fix for mechanical issues - just disable the feature and call it "as designed."

#1473 5 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

OK. After this fix, I went 50 for 50 on the auto plunge and had two perfect games with the auto fire working the way it was designed. I've tried every fix mentioned here and spent dozens of hours tweaking this.
Here's what (for now) finally worked.
Make sure your playfield is level.
Make sure both your auto fire prongs are touching the ball "at rest" and at the end of its cycle.
Clean and wax your playfield prior to adjustments.
MAKE ALL ADJUSTMENTS WITH YOUR LOCKDOWN BAR ON AND LATCHED.
Trust me on this one. Bar on and off produces different results.
1. I loosed the nut under the playfield that holds the top of the rail down.
2. I loosened the hex nut that adjusts the rail.
3. I inserted a plastic wedge to (slightly) move the rail more towards the playfield.
4. I adjusted the angle of the ball's trajectory with the wedge.
Pushing the wedge (down) towards the player moved the trajectory up towards the left mini flipper, while moving the wedge (up) away from the player moved the trajectory towards the rubber post.
5. After final adjustments, i'd say both screws on my machine are not loose, but they're also not snug. Tightening the nut under the playfield AND the hex screw at the end of the rail tight (like you'd expect) returned the game to erratic auto firing.
6. My final adjustments were with the wedge. I spent two hours yesterday and three hours today coming up with this "why does this work" fix.
If you're having problems, give it a try. Hopefully it'll work for you too.
[quoted image]

I think you are really on to something here. This has also helped by auto plunger success....(inserting a wedge)

#1474 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I think you are really on to something here. This has also helped by auto plunger success....(inserting a wedge)

Nice. I'm happy to announce 100% accuracy for the auto fire since this tweak. I've put on about 50 games since my last post, and well dammit, it still works.

#1475 5 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Nice. I'm happy to announce 100% accuracy for the auto fire since this tweak. I've put on about 50 games since my last post, and well dammit, it still works.

It sounds nuts but evidence is evidence.

Where does one acquire one of these mystical plasic wedges?

#1476 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

https://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hardware-9435-Wedge-Plastic/dp/B007ZUDT1K/ref=mp_s_a_1_4

#1477 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I got mine (5 actually) at my local ACE store.

#1478 5 years ago

So I should have not said anything about the Newton ball because mine stopped working. I pulled it apart and it seems the problem that stops it from moving correct is the sleeve in the Playfield
It is not very smooth where the ball sits and I think light deburring will make a difference
I’ll keep you posted

612CB500-9185-4AE6-9733-7782C0971509 (resized).jpeg612CB500-9185-4AE6-9733-7782C0971509 (resized).jpeg5222E236-2B54-48D7-992A-DD28BF001C5C (resized).jpeg5222E236-2B54-48D7-992A-DD28BF001C5C (resized).jpegA35B1BD1-E38E-46DE-8F36-A18C65E0F332 (resized).jpegA35B1BD1-E38E-46DE-8F36-A18C65E0F332 (resized).jpeg
#1479 5 years ago

It is back together and working much smoother than before, I forgot to take a pic after cleaning it up but it definitely made a huge difference in the way it moved and feels.

#1480 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

So I should have not said anything about the Newton ball because mine stopped working.

The mystery newton ball on my Premium started acting up tonight. It's not the mechanism itself or the switch gap, but the positioning of the switch cup. I drilled out the 2 mounting holes slightly bigger so I could position the switch assembly better without having to bend the bracket. Maybe it's also because I have the older spoon posts, but they have to be absolutely 100% centered in the cup. Test by pushing down the back of the plastic cup and if the post moves even a fraction, adjust it again. When it's not centered, the switch may actually open more in one or more directions and the switch doesn't close.

Rob

#1481 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The mystery newton ball on my Premium started acting up tonight. It's not the mechanism itself or the switch gap, but the positioning of the switch cup. I drilled out the 2 mounting holes slightly bigger so I could position the switch assembly better without having to bend the bracket. Maybe it's also because I have the older spoon posts, but they have to be absolutely 100% centered in the cup. Test by pushing down the back of the plastic cup and if the post moves even a fraction, adjust it again. When it's not centered, the switch may actually open more in one or more directions and the switch doesn't close.
Rob

Man this may explain why I’ve been feeling like my mystery ball doesn’t ever do anything.. thanks for the explanation!

#1482 5 years ago

Can you take a picture of the wedge installed? I think I get the description but not sure. I've been having the auto plunge issue lately too.
Thanks

#1483 5 years ago

Dumb question: Which is the Newton ball vs the captive ball? Newton is the MUMMY and captive is the orb right?

#1484 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Dumb question: Which is the Newton ball vs the captive ball? Newton is the MUMMY and captive is the orb right?

On a premium, they are both newly design newton ball mechs.

#1485 5 years ago

Oh, I found the picture, didn't scroll back enough.

(Actually, I think it didn't load the first time.)

#1486 5 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

On a premium, they are both newly design newton ball mechs.

Ah, so all these posts about rebuilds are for the same mech. No wonder I was confused as to which is which.

#1487 5 years ago

My pro used to plunge perfectly when going for the upper super skill shot. It now mostly hits the post below the little flipper. Auto-plunger works perfect. Could my spring just be a bit worn out?

#1488 5 years ago

My advice--if the auto plunge is perfect--don't screw with it! Wait until you have auto plunge problems before touching anything.

#1489 5 years ago

I would recommend getting the screwing started now. You’re going to have to learn it anyway.

#1490 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I would recommend getting the screwing started now. You’re going to have to learn it anyway.

If he is only adjusting the manual plunger, he doesn't have to adjust the shooter lane guides, or auto plunger at all. You can adjust the manual just by changing the position of the plunger where it hits the ball. You can increase or decrease power that way (or by changing a $2 shooter spring too...)

#1491 5 years ago

I speak from experience. Mine came with the auto working 100% and the manual hitting the post. Got the manual to 100%, auto went right in the dumper. Took me forever to get the auto back--shoulda left things alone...

#1492 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I speak from experience. Mine came with the auto working 100% and the manual hitting the post. Got the manual to 100%, auto went right in the dumper. Took me forever to get the auto back--shoulda left things alone...

I had to adjust three times to get it right. Wasn't that long, considering how long adjustments can take on various machines. Now I'm confident that I can adjust it in about 5 mins. Gotta go through the pain, so may as well get it over with.

#1493 5 years ago

How do you adjust the manual plunger so it hits the loop? Mine hits the post but auto works about 95% of the time

#1494 5 years ago

You can also just plunge softly for the skill shot below the loop if you dont want to mess with the manual plunger.

#1495 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You can also just plunge softly for the skill shot below the loop if you dont want to mess with the manual plunger.

I have been doing that and also plunging for the left lane which awards a big skill shot
I never knew the plunger should reach the fireball loop until reading it here

#1496 5 years ago

I got the switches today, getting the game tommorow so I wanted to be ready, these feel a little stiff like not feather like to activate. They are the ones that were recommended.

#1497 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I got the switches today, getting the game tommorow so I wanted to be ready, these feel a little stiff like not feather like to activate. They are the ones that were recommended.

Do they make a light clicking sound when you close them?

#1498 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I have been doing that and also plunging for the left lane which awards a big skill shot
I never knew the plunger should reach the fireball loop until reading it here

There are 2 skill shots through fireball loop - 20 million and 10 million? Can't remember exactly.

#1499 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I dont think you're going to need them.

#1500 5 years ago

Ok I guess we’ll see how things work. I know the ramp sticks up sometimes. The seller informed me of that

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 24.50
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
There are 2,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/30?hl=splitcms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.