1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 2,189 posts
  • 299 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Tranquilize
  • Topic is favorited by 129 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 276 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191026_121732 (resized).jpg
AE80355F-5C88-4F47-ACF9-CD1947559B71 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpg
C4C11B34-E040-48CA-92DC-99801E773D7D (resized).jpeg
IM right ramp fix (resized).jpg
IMG_2220 (resized).JPG
IMG_2219 (resized).JPG
IMG_2218 (resized).JPG
newton-ball-unscrew (resized).jpg
7728A7C8-BFD1-44AB-83AB-91CB1B9128EB (resized).jpeg
A24B7A39-59AD-45C4-8CA2-27C135D501F3 (resized).png
MVIMG_20190818_220245 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_9941 (resized).jpg
IMG_9939 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190817_233035 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2189 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 44.
#1101 1 year ago
Quoted from Mtg381:

Correct. And click the top link, not the READ ME file.

Yep, should be two things you can click on.

#1102 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I clicked on the top file.. When its done downloading, it ask me how do i want to open it. Its never done this before on downloads

It did that for me with AC/DC too. Just go into your downloads and copy/past to your thumb drive.

pasted_image (resized).png
#1103 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Here is your fix....enjoy playing your game the way it was intended to play! Its the post at the top of the left orbit that you hit and your ball comes rollong back down the orbit. Its not supposed to do that.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/46#post-2277072

Ah! Mine already has the metal post, but I can see where that would be un-fun. I am going to Pinball Life tomorrow if anyone needs anything!

#1104 1 year ago
Quoted from Mtg381:

Ah! Mine already has the metal post, but I can see where that would be un-fun. I am going to Pinball Life tomorrow if anyone needs anything!

Yeah its so much more fun when the post stops the ball the way that it should. Mine rejected everytime. I thought it was supposed to be like that and always thought to myself how stupid that was, then i came across the posts of people changing out their nylon posts and replacing them with metal ones to fix the issue. Did you buy your game new or used? Im assuming used and the previous owner put the metal post in?

#1105 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah its so much more fun when the post stops the ball the way that it should. Mine rejected everytime. I thought it was supposed to be like that and always thought to myself how stupid that was, then i came across the posts of people changing out their nylon posts and replacing them with metal ones to fix the issue. Did you buy your game new or used? Im assuming used and the previous owner put the metal post in?

A friend of mine bought it new. I'll check with him to see if he changed it or it came like that.
Maiden did come with the pointy newton posts, but that obviously wasn't the ultimate fix.

#1106 1 year ago
Quoted from Mtg381:

A friend of mine bought it new. I'll check with him to see if he changed it or it came like that.
Maiden did come with the pointy newton posts, but that obviously wasn't the ultimate fix.

Im not sure if there ever will be a ultimate fix for the Newton ball switches. Just loctite the posts on and hope for the best is all you can do. So far mine have been good since i put loctite on them.

#1107 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

There are 2 solutions to it and you quoted one of them. The other was to reduce the power. Keep in mind a sling will not fire unless one of the two switches closes. If it does then neither solution will work as you have another mechanical problem.

First time I've seen this issue. I reduced the power on the slings from 32 to 25 and the left sling stopped randomly firing. But the random sling shot issue went over to the right sling. I removed the right sling plastic to check the gap, and to me, it appeared to not be the issue. I decided to open the gap on one of the switches a little more and the problem stopped. I've put the power on the slings back to 32 and haven't had an issue.

Thanks guys for your help.

#1108 1 year ago

So I finally got my mummy switch newton ball adjust properly and boy does that make things bette. Question now how does mummy ball supposed to start? Right now I lock one ball in the sarcophagus lock and then hit the mummy newton ball a certain amount it of time and it starts. Is this how it supposed to work? I don’t need to hit it in the sarcophagus lock again?

Great game! Definitely top 3 for me. I love it!

#1109 1 year ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

So I finally got my mummy switch newton ball adjust properly and boy does that make things bette. Question now how does mummy ball supposed to start? Right now I lock one ball in the sarcophagus lock and then hit the mummy newton ball a certain amount it of time and it starts. Is this how it supposed to work? I don’t need to hit it in the sarcophagus lock again?
Great game! Definitely top 3 for me. I love it!

Your game is working as intended.

#1110 1 year ago

When u plunge the ball is it suppose to hit the left orbit?

#1111 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Yes.

The shot under the upper left flipper.

#1112 1 year ago

No. Left loop

#1113 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Should hit the left loop and if it goes half was around and not all the way it will drop into the lane that the left flipper is at and you can hit the ball into the right loop for a skill shot.

When you plunge or when the game auto plunges it shouldn't hit the upper left flipper above the left loop and it shouldn't hit the post below the left loop, it should go into the loop itself. This is a problem though with this game usually and it may require some tinkering and adjusting to make it go into the loop. If the ball wont go into the loop just soft plunge into the little target below the loop, thats a skill shot also.

#1114 1 year ago

The main issue I have is the Newton ball switch design is SHIT !

I burned another couple of hours stuffing around with this.

I managed to gap the switch with old style post was fine.
Put the new pointy post in and its crap.

Was initially patient, went to the trouble of completely removing newton ball ass'y as it gets sticky.

Cleaned, sanded, oiled base unit. Just CRAP

Pointy Post to Plastic spoon and leaf switch SUCKS BIG TIME !

So pissed off with the erratic nature of a crucial component of the game

Message to Engineers

Please DO NOT USE THIS CRAP IDEA AGAIN !

What happened to the proximity sensors in original design ?

You guys got the cash and the tech

There has to be a better newton switch design !
Go next level please

#1115 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

Go next level please

This design was likely much cheaper than proximity sensors. This IS Stern, remember?

#1116 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

Was initially patient, went to the trouble of completely removing newton ball ass'y as it gets sticky.
Message to Engineers
Go next level please

AMEN!

#1117 1 year ago

edit: double post

#1118 1 year ago

Has anyone had issues with airballs on the ramp getting stuck here? It's happened a few times to me recently, and I need to take the glass off to get it unstuck. Maybe a spike?

stuck_ball (resized).png
#1119 1 year ago

From the one angle you show, it looks like you may be able to manipulate that screw or put a rubber "bump" on top or in front of the screw to allow the ball to bump it and roll past it and into the sarcophagus. But it's hard to tell from the one picture.

#1120 1 year ago

I've been having an issue with the premium captive ball. The mummy ball does not reset back into place after being smacked. Is this common? Does anybody have suggestions on a fix?

#1121 1 year ago
Quoted from roddog:

I've been having an issue with the premium captive ball. The mummy ball does not reset back into place after being smacked. Is this common? Does anybody have suggestions on a fix?

Mine does this too. I wonder if the updated hex posts help with this?

Rob

#1122 1 year ago

The pointed actuator arm should help, if you don't already have it. Make sure the bottom of the arm is centered in the cup, if it isn't it can hang up and refuse to re-center after moving.

#1123 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

The pointed actuator arm should help, if you don't already have it. Make sure the bottom of the arm is centered in the cup, if it isn't it can hang up and refuse to re-center after moving.

It is definitely centered in the cup. From what I've been able to find, possible solutions are lubrication or requesting a different spring from Stern.

#1124 1 year ago
Quoted from roddog:

It is definitely centered in the cup. From what I've been able to find, possible solutions are lubrication or requesting a different spring from Stern.

What are you guys using for lubrication?

#1125 1 year ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

What are you guys using for lubrication?

jahbarron pointed me towards non-aerosol Tri-Flow. Also heard a recommendation for Frog Lube. Bought Tri-Flow from amazon and will report back when it arrives on Thursday.

#1126 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

Message to Engineers
Go next level please

The gap requirement leaves very little room for error. Mine 'stick' too, but for now they are working so I will leave them alone. I am hesitant to use any threadlock, but may have to if the hex shafts keep coming loose. Then I will only use a tiny bit of blue threadlock.

Rob

#1127 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The gap requirement leaves very little room for error. Mine 'stick' too, but for now they are working so I will leave them alone. I am hesitant to use any threadlock, but may have to if the hex shafts keep coming loose. Then I will only use a tiny bit of blue threadlock.
Rob

Use the blue loctite, you wont regret it.

#1128 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Use the blue loctite, you wont regret it.

except when you have to remove the old posts to repalcae the new ones.

Ask me how i know

#1129 1 year ago

a little bit of heat undoes any thread lock, my advice is only use blue labeled thread lock not red or green. I race model monster trucks and blue thread locker is always good enough and good enough for pinball.

Neil.

#1130 1 year ago

Fear of the Dark goes into ball search when starting this mode. I thought this was a switch issue in the underworld, but this doesn't happen during any other battle, or anytime I lock the ball in the underworld, for that matter. This has happened at least half a dozen times during this mode.

Had a ball locked in mummy tonight. Underworld opens, lock ball in underworld and ramp closes. FOTD mode starts, video is now playing...and nothing.
Game goes into ball search, mummy empties ball into underworld. Ramp raises and mode begins.

This is on a Premium with 1.04 installed.

#1131 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

I used blue threadlock on mine. Haven't had to even touch the ball switches in 1200 or so games since I did that. They work perfectly and the game's a lot more fun.

Kevin

#1132 1 year ago

Something is up with the slings on my game. Sometimes it is like the ball bounces up (I can see this) and then kind of 'jams' when the kicker kicks. Has anyone else noticed this?

Rob

#1133 1 year ago

After another round of adjusting the slings, I now have two black nylon spacers left over.
There appears to be 2 of these per side. I have one under each ramp, but don't know where the other two came from.

On top of each sling is a black nylon spacer, the ramp, a metal washer and nut.

I've had these apart about a dozen times and now have two left over. Maybe each black washer was two black washers and they happened to come apart?
Any help is appreciated.

#1134 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Something is up with the slings on my game. Sometimes it is like the ball bounces up (I can see this) and then kind of 'jams' when the kicker kicks. Has anyone else noticed this?
Rob

I reduced the power to 25 and they seem to work better now. 32 (default) may be too much.

Rob

#1135 1 year ago

I was going through my audits as I upgraded from 1.03 to 1.05, and I noticed it said I only have 11 left drains, 12 right drains, and 669 center drains? Unless I'm misunderstanding what a left/right drain is, that seems way off? I seem to lose balls on the left/right drains way more commonly than I do down the center, and the idea of only 11/12 is laughable.

Does anyone else have funky results for audits 52/53/54?

#1136 1 year ago

After playing this evening, the sarcophagus would not unload the ball. It lowered and the loose ball rolled back, but not into the underworld for ejecting. I left it try several times and it always failed. So I left if for a few hours and came back to it now. It unloaded fine....

Rob

#1137 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

After playing this evening, the sarcophagus would not unload the ball. It lowered and the loose ball rolled back, but not into the underworld for ejecting. I left it try several times and it always failed. So I left if for a few hours and came back to it now. It unloaded fine....
Rob

Can confirm you are not alone on this one.

#1138 1 year ago
Quoted from Maide:

I was going through my audits as I upgraded from 1.03 to 1.05, and I noticed it said I only have 11 left drains, 12 right drains, and 669 center drains? Unless I'm misunderstanding what a left/right drain is, that seems way off? I seem to lose balls on the left/right drains way more commonly than I do down the center, and the idea of only 11/12 is laughable.
Does anyone else have funky results for audits 52/53/54?

I checked the audits before I updated and mine were similarly ridiculous. Can't remember exact numbers but was 1,000 balls played and over 900 centre drains with tiny number left and right drains.

#1139 1 year ago
Quoted from db666:

I checked the audits before I updated and mine were similarly ridiculous. Can't remember exact numbers but was 1,000 balls played and over 900 centre drains with tiny number left and right drains.

Ditto on 1.04, audits are a joke.I played some games,made a note of drains and it was incorrect

#1140 1 year ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

So will the new actuator solve the mummy newton ball switch issue? Mine is fubared. I can adjust it and it will work for a game or two and then right back to not working. Weird because my orb seems to work fine.

I’ve solved my newton ball switch issues completely, still using the original factory posts too. See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/5#post-4432144

I did also apply a tiny amount of synthetic grease to the end of the metal post where it meets the plastic spoon to reduce friction. Probably not necessary with the new pointy posts.

I think backing the posts off 2 turns to lengthen them and blue loctite in place was the magic step for me.

#1141 1 year ago
Quoted from db666:

Added this to the bug list here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-100-bugs-and-features#post-4441102

#1142 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Quoted from starbase:

Can confirm you are not alone on this one.

Mine is doing it again today. I'll look at it shortly....

Rob

#1143 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Mine is doing it again today. I'll look at it shortly....
Rob

The solution was: Switch 62 was slightly adjusted to close later, allowing the cam mechanism to rotate slightly more and release the ball.

Rob

#1144 1 year ago
Quoted from Maide:

Has anyone had issues with airballs on the ramp getting stuck here? It's happened a few times to me recently, and I need to take the glass off to get it unstuck. Maybe a spike?
[quoted image]

My solution was to cut a piece on Lexan and use two standoffs

20180912_223553.jpg20180912_223830.jpg
#1145 1 year ago
Quoted from Cyberrocker:

My solution was to cut a piece on Lexan and use two standoffs
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great, but I'd countersink with flat-top screws and no washer (maybe loc-tite if you're concerned about them coming out).

#1146 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Looks great, but I'd countersink with flat-top screws and no washer (maybe loc-tite if you're concerned about them coming out).

Thanks for the kind words and countersinking tip Vireland. I was out of flat #6 machine screws when I put it together but it is on my to do list.

#1147 1 year ago

I have spent two hours looking through forum so if this had an answer I apologize. My IM Premium has a guardian diverter gate that is binding on something. There seems to be front to back play in the gate. I don't know if that is acceptable or not. Screws are tight. Seems to be grease from Stern on rotating pin that raises and lowers gate. The gate seldom rises in game play. No different in test mode. When I "help" the gate up after activating on test mode I can feel a click in three places as it goes up. I don't know of there is a burr somewhere inhibiting rise. Shutting of the gate seems to be no issue usually but occasionally the motor keeps trying to go more but the gate seems down. The pointed extensions at the gate lower edges are safely in their holes so they seem lined up. Anyone had this issue and know a fix? Thanks is advance.

#1148 1 year ago
Quoted from Cyberrocker:

Thanks for the kind words and countersinking tip Vireland. I was out of flat #6 machine screws when I put it together but it is on my to do list.

I sent it on to Stern. It's good enough it should be a running revision for Premiums yet to be built.

#1149 1 year ago

So the center ramp on my Premium stopped working the other day. It would go up, but never come back down. To make a long story short, the ramp needed lubrication. I cleaned the coil plunger and put a very small amount of Teflon spray lube on the ramp hinges and plunger hinges. The problem is that the magnetic relay that holds back the catch for the ramp pulses only just barely long enough to let the ramp release. ANY delay in the falling of the ramp will result in the relay releasing the catch too soon and the ramp won't fall. Stern should really update this so that the relay and catch stay active longer to give the ramp more time to drop. I can see this being a problem as ramps age, wear, slow down.

#1150 1 year ago
Quoted from gearhead:

So the center ramp on my Premium stopped working the other day. It would go up, but never come back down. To make a long story short, the ramp needed lubrication. I cleaned the coil plunger and put a very small amount of Teflon spray lube on the ramp hinges and plunger hinges. The problem is that the magnetic relay that holds back the catch for the ramp pulses only just barely long enough to let the ramp release. ANY delay in the falling of the ramp will result in the relay releasing the catch too soon and the ramp won't fall. Stern should really update this so that the relay and catch stay active longer to give the ramp more time to drop. I can see this being a problem as ramps age, wear, slow down.

Common issue. Back of the ramp catches on the loop rail below and behind it momentarily. Use a tiny bit of lube. Problem solved.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.95
$ 26.50
There are 2189 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 44.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside